C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
The negative SEO campaign begins...great title to the video "C7 Z06 overheating". I see ambient temp was 85, likely with a high humidity content making the "real feel" probably mid 90's. There are preparations for the car to sustain these types of temps better...you might make that clear in the "info" part of your video, in order to not mislead viewers.
What preparations are you speaking of? By GM? Sure have not seen that posted by anyone. I did see Tadge statement. I surely don't want to mislead anyone, and don't want to Knock the car, but? All I know are the facts as i presented them. I am a team player and don't plan on bailing out, but, I paid big time for a serious performance car with TRACK written all over it. 5 track modes?? Cup 2 tires, Carbon ceramic brakes. I don't want a pole position car that can't complete the race. I probably will never get to see the full potential of this car, because I can't get enough seat time to learn it. Sad but true. Don't want to feed the Haters. I'm not one to stick my head in the sand until things blow over.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisN123
Welcome to the club. Thanks for info. Please post screen shot of PDR stats for Vehicle health.

And I agree with Snorman-- you weren't in Track mode, which is why you see the blinky squiggly car in your video (indicating nanny interventions). The mode-selection procedure is confusing, and you can easily switch modes accidentally by hitting the top button. Bad UI design.

Paddle shifting DEFINITELY helps and doesn't really slow you down once you establish shift points--- but temps still run hot so it might not be a solution for 85+ deg temps.

Did you experience a power steering warning (or notice steering effort increasing)?
Hey, loving this Cosworth toolbox thingy. Water maxed at 266, oil 302, trans 205.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yep...262* is where the plug gets pulled. But the trans temps were fine.
Thank you for sharing. I will be at NOLA in October.
S.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucansam
Does it need to be a race car to last a 20 minute run session? Maybe some of our expectation are too high for a street car. But I can name off a bunch of street cars I've driven on track with no major issues.
Mine doesn't
Old 05-26-2015, 10:23 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucansam
Does it need to be a race car to last a 20 minute run session? Maybe some of our expectation are too high for a street car. But I can name off a bunch of street cars I've driven on track with no major issues.
Corvettes in my experience have a long storied history of not having the best cooling systems. It's one of the real flaws of the car, that it seems even after 62 years of building them they still haven't elected to address.

I'm guessing it's a budget constraint. Why else would they keep putting radiators more suited to a Cavalier or Cobalt...Aveo..whatever it's called now, than one fitting a performance car in the Corvette, and Camaro?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Corvettes in my experience have a long storied history of not having the best cooling systems. It's one of the real flaws of the car, that it seems even after 62 years of building them they still haven't elected to address.

I'm guessing it's a budget constraint. Why else would they keep putting radiators more suited to a Cavalier or Cobalt...Aveo..whatever it's called now, than one fitting a performance car in the Corvette, and Camaro?
I'm waiting for 160 thermostat gang
Old 05-26-2015, 03:14 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Wow, that overheated really fast. Nearly 20 degree average climb in coolant temp from lap to lap.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:29 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
There are preparations for the car to sustain these types of temps better...you might make that clear in the "info" part of your video, in order to not mislead viewers.
What are they? Will they void the warranty? Has anyone performed any tests with any kind of control of variables?

I would bet that you could create a model that would predict overheating very accurately. Ambient temp and total horsepower generated per lap/BTUs of heat generated would be the variables. GM probably has a spreadsheet.

We will see what happens when the car is driven in magazine competitions. Best Driver's Car 2015?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:19 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
I'm waiting for 160 thermostat gang
I'm not sure why anyone would even run a 160 T stat. or why they even make them
Old 05-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MavsAK
I'm not sure why anyone would even run a 160 T stat. or why they even make them
Could it potentially give you an extra lap or two before the overheating kicks in?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

As far as I have found in my C7Z06 there are a couple of new car bugs that seem to affect the 1st couple of thousand M7 cars.

1. fuel pressure rail switch needs to be replaced. problem starts with a backfire followed by a #7 misfire than escalates to loosing power (50%) after a couple of laps and continues to decline. May or may not give code. this has been reported by some on here.

2. If you run slicks and you run 10/10 you can overheat in as little as 10 minutes. If you run the OEM SC it will take 15 minutes and as reported by others if you run 8-9/10 and OEM SS it will last a 20-25 minute session.

3. The PDR will sometimes not recognize the SD card and or will not recognize the start/finish line as marked/set on earlier sessions. It can be a little frustrating.

4. The popping out of gear due to shifter misalignment, this is compounded by continuing to run the car and may or may not be able to be corrected with the alignment. I installed a MGW before it became an issue.

5. I have the same rotor issue as Catchmeifyoucansam, perhaps not as severe but as Cathmeifyoucansam has gone through 4-5 sets of brake pads and I have only been through 2-3/4.

6. Others have posted the power steering overheat, I have not had this issue

The A8 seems to not have these new car bugs except when pushed 10/10 it will overheat, however as Sean has posted running the car at 8-9/10 it is very fast as his Daytona time shows.

My car is currently having the fuel pressure rail switch replaced. This took some time for GM to do so as I did not have codes other than the #7 misfire. I am waiting on GM about my front rotors and if it is an issue or if this is normal?

I what my car to work as there is nothing else that "floats my boat" right now. I will back off and run 8/10 until GM and or someone comes up with a solution on the overheat.

I agree that this issue needs to continue to be discussed and if the TROLLS help keep it alive I'm A-OK with them chiming in. Keep the pressure on GM to let the GM engineers fix it.

Last edited by Cyclone09Z06; 05-26-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
I get his special fan club stalking replies too. I don't even bother replying anymore as I don't want to fight with GM interns. Just ignore him - he obviously doesn't have a hi-performance car or any real track experience and just parrots anecdotal info like many "fans" on this particular board.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z06
As far as I have found in my C7Z06 there are a couple of new car bugs that seem to affect the 1st couple of thousand M7 cars.

1. fuel pressure rail switch needs to be replaced. problem starts with a backfire followed by a #7 misfire than escalates to loosing power (50%) after a couple of laps and continues to decline. May or may not give code. this has been reported by some on here.

2. If you run slicks and you run 10/10 you can overheat in as little as 10 minutes. If you run the OEM SC it will take 15 minutes and as reported by others if you run 8-9/10 and OEM SS it will last a 20-25 minute session.

3. The PDR will sometimes not recognize the SD card and or will not recognize the start/finish line as marked/set on earlier sessions. It can be a little frustrating.

4. The popping out of gear due to shifter misalignment, this is compounded by continuing to run the car and may or may not be able to be corrected with the alignment. I installed a MGW before it became an issue.

5. I have the same rotor issue as Catchmeifyoucansam, perhaps not as severe but as Cathmeifyoucansam has gone through 4-5 sets of brake pads and I have only been through 2-3/4.

6. Others have posted the power steering overheat, I have not had this issue

The A8 seems to not have these new car bugs except when pushed 10/10 it will overheat, however as Sean has posted running the car at 8-9/10 it is very fast as his Daytona time shows.

My car is currently having the fuel pressure rail switch replaced. This took some time for GM to do so as I did not have codes other than the #7 misfire. I am waiting on GM about my front rotors and if it is an issue or if this is normal?

I what my car to work as there is nothing else that "floats my boat" right now. I will back off and run 8/10 until GM and or someone comes up with a solution on the overheat.

I agree that this issue needs to continue to be discussed and if the TROLLS help keep it alive I'm A-OK with them chiming in. Keep the pressure on GM to let the GM engineers fix it.
There are quite a few other things. For example, many of us got the speed sensor fault code. Many others got the "service the rear axle."

I'm really surprised you are not getting the "service the power steering unit" message. Your tires are even stickier than cup 2s.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:13 AM
vader03
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is late in the thread but 300 deg oil temp & 260 deg trans temp. Are we sure GM put coolers in the car that work? I'm curious about the temps for a M7 C7 Z51 after a 20 minute track session at COTA or Laguna Sega, etc.

Last edited by vader03; 05-29-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Brutal. Third one in about a week between the Motor Trend test, LG Motorsport, and now this. Summer is coming and it looks like it's going to only get worse.
These posts sure keep you busy eh sunshine
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Have a friend there now. He reported that car gave overheating warning after five laps. Ambient temp about 80 degs.

Asking for his PDR data.
Did your friend at least use the 80/20 mix with water wetter? Great results coming in from something so simple, as well as been used for years on end.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DerStig
Dude, open your eyes and ears for a second and try to listen what I am trying to say here.

Let's try again....

Z06 overheats in 5 laps. That's 5-6 minutes of track time. While those cars may require cooling solutions for extended track use, NONE of them require additional cooling for 5 laps.

Apples to apples....

Got it now?

None of those 13-15 laps were in warm CA weather. We'll see how the car does in spring/summer time. All those track times in Atlanta were in 40-60F weather.

Also, a lot of people in the BMW and Porsche forums track their cars (M3s or GT3s). Show me one person who actually upgraded their cooling. There is a huge market for corvette here for aftermarket, because the car has a lot of deficiencies.
Yet then you see others that just posted wins in TTU and 20+ sessions with no issues but yet both used the 80/20 coolant and water wetter mix. Not a big deal at all if thats the answer to NOT get over heat warnings.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 05-29-2015, 09:59 AM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
Did your friend at least use the 80/20 mix with water wetter? Great results coming in from something so simple, as well as been used for years on end.

Car was track prepped per owners manual, including a 60/40 mix. Lately paddle shifting with a bit of short shifting in turns (car has plenty of TQ, so no big deal) has been helping, but temps still very high.

Might dilute coolant further on really hot days, but would really like to see a GM-approved solution here.

Edit: I take that back, as of this event, the car had only had the 500 mile oil change. Manual says to track the car once briefly and then change the fluids. We did that before the first full track day (this was just one session).

Last edited by ChrisN123; 05-29-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:09 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Car was track prepped per owners manual, including a 60/40 mix. Lately paddle shifting with a bit of short shifting in turns (car has plenty of TQ, so no big deal) has been helping, but temps still very high.

Might dilute coolant further on really hot days, but would really like to see a GM-approved solution here.
No doubt GM could come up with something a bit better for cooling, but for now the 80/20 with water wetter is very easy to do and interesting to do a back to back comparo. So far others are having positive results.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 AM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
Yet then you see others that just posted wins in TTU and 20+ sessions with no issues but yet both used the 80/20 coolant and water wetter mix. Not a big deal at all if thats the answer to NOT get over heat warnings.
If that is the answer, then how could GM possibly miss it? They are specific about oil for the track, I never used specific fluids in my Porsches. (I tried different brake fluid...but didn't feel difference.)

Hopefully it actually helps.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***