C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:54 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I think you should wait for the C8 rather than buy a C7. Although you, in fact, are one of the "fast and furious" crowd, and a consummate "waxer" with zero track experience (and you've probably never even been to a drag strip), you'll embarrass yourself less if you simply use the excuse that you're waiting for the next gen and are happy with your shitbox C6 Z06.
S.
FYI, I can't speak for others, but although I take pride in keeping my Corvette all nice and shiny, I'm not a waxer. I have been on the dragstrip a couple times, but that's not my thing, and I don't think it's the ZO6's thing either. I do, however have road course experience and training including a couple trips to Spring Mountain, and that's the whole point of the ZO6, and that's what I prefer to do with the car, assuming GM makes the required fixes.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:59 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
FYI, I can't speak for others, but although I take pride in keeping my Corvette all nice and shiny, I'm not a waxer. I have been on the dragstrip a couple times, but that's not my thing, and I don't think it's the ZO6's thing either. I do, however have road course experience and training including a couple trips to Spring Mountain, and that's the whole point of the ZO6, and that's what I prefer to do with the car, assuming GM makes the required fixes.
Your "couple of trips to Spring Mountain" doing lead-follows hardly qualify as track experience.
Judging from your own comments and location in upstate New York I strongly doubt you could drive the car hard enough to have coolant/oil temp issues.
Rather than preemptively complaining, just take your C7 Z06 to the track and stop whining.
S.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:00 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Not if it's a naturally aspirated manual transmission (or I should say non- torque converter) car.....

There is a reason Porsche's track car is naturally aspirated (GT3) and not the Turbo. There is a reason the PDK does not use a torque converter.

Roots blower and/or old school auto transmission.....the writing was on the wall, I thought. We had long threads arguing about the A8. So many people fought me on it. "It's better than a PDK, GM said so!" they said. It will overheat just like always, I said.

Nothing different here. Gm says "Best track car ever!" Yeah....when do we all learn our lesson with regard to a marketing dept claim?
Actually, even though GM says the A8 is the most track capable combo, I personally would not even consider ordering an automatic, torque converter or not, I'm a manual trans guy all the way. In a way I was a bit disappointed to find a supercharged engine on the ZO6, those ALWAYS generate a lot of heat and require a lot of extra cooling, so I think the solution should be fairly simple, I just feel that GM should make the mods, not the buyer of the car.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:05 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Your "couple of trips to Spring Mountain" doing lead-follows hardly qualify as track experience.
Judging from your own comments and location in upstate New York I strongly doubt you could drive the car hard enough to have coolant/oil temp issues.
Rather than preemptively complaining, just take your C7 Z06 to the track and stop whining.
S.
Apparently you haven't done Spring Mountain or Bondurant, the lead-follows are a very small part of the course. And, in upstate New York, have you ever heard of Watkins Glen? They do track sessions there, check it out. And, not whining, just stating fact based on what I'm hearing from other owners who track their cars, I just have an issue about modifying a brand new car to get it to perform as intended.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:13 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Apparently you haven't done Spring Mountain or Bondurant, the lead-follows are a very small part of the course. And, in upstate New York, have you ever heard of Watkins Glen? They do track sessions there, check it out. And, not whining, just stating fact based on what I'm hearing from other owners who track their cars, I just have an issue about modifying a brand new car to get it to perform as intended.
I've done both. Thanks for playing.
The fact that you actually think the level 1 schools you have done bear any resemblance to real track days is very telling.
So what are your Watkins Glen lap times and where are the videos?
You're not a C7 Z06 owner with any relevant track time and are simply a other member stoking the rumors and bullsh$t like many others.
S.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:23 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

I've done both. Thanks for playing.
The fact that you actually think the level 1 schools you have done bear any resemblance to real track days is very telling.
So what are your Watkins Glen lap times and where are the videos?
You're not a C7 Z06 owner with any relevant track time and are simply a other member stoking the rumors and bullsh$t like many others.
S.
Obviously you just want to argue and discount anything I've said, so OK. Did I say level ! school? No, I don't believe that I did, and no, I don't keep lap times or videos as proof of anything, because I have nothing to prove to anyone, including you. I've made no claim to be the next Mario Andretti, I just run these events for my own enjoyment, if I wanted to compete, I'd get a racing license and compete. In fact, I'm a Corvette owner, but not a C7 ZO6 owner yet, I'm just trying to see if GM fixes the issues before I do become an owner. Have a nice day.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:17 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I think you should wait for the C8 rather than buy a C7. Although you, in fact, are one of the "fast and furious" crowd, and a consummate "waxer" with zero track experience (and you've probably never even been to a drag strip), you'll embarrass yourself less if you simply use the excuse that you're waiting for the next gen and are happy with your shitbox C6 Z06.
S.
Early adopters got the worm. I would be angry that the C7 Z06 was misrepresented. Maybe you are the true waxer. The fact that you are OK with that speaks volumes. My power steering, transmission, or engine does not overheat by the way. The C8 might have these problems fixed. We can only hope.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:21 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Not if it's a naturally aspirated manual transmission (or I should say non- torque converter) car.....

There is a reason Porsche's track car is naturally aspirated (GT3) and not the Turbo. There is a reason the PDK does not use a torque converter.

Roots blower and/or old school auto transmission.....the writing was on the wall, I thought. We had long threads arguing about the A8. So many people fought me on it. "It's better than a PDK, GM said so!" they said. It will overheat just like always, I said.

Nothing different here. Gm says "Best track car ever!" Yeah....when do we all learn our lesson with regard to a marketing dept claim?
The A8 was not sold as BETTER than PDK, rather as a very fast up shifting automatic. Vettes have had auto's for years, this one is just the next gen.

Plus DCTs out there also have their fair share of overheated transmissions on the track and nothing to do with "old school" auto's http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...-design-flaw/I Actually after market coolers for GTR track rats is one of the most used parts period.

I would like to see the Z with a DCT that isnt a crap around town like so many have been in auto mode, but the A8 for the majority seems to be the best of both worlds for the A8 buyers.

Last edited by GP1224; 07-05-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Just a couple of things:

The A8 is simply NOT an issue in the Z06 on a road course. There has not been one verifiable (PDR data trail) of an owner having an issue with the transmission overheating. This is not true of the Z51's with the A8 as they aren't being supplied with the second transmission oil cooler as OEM as the Z has;

The PS issue: this needs to be addressed as a safety issue IMHO for all owners either via software or getting more airflow over the PS motor which does seem to work; at least it did for me last weekend and apparently has for SBC and a Stick since he did his modification;

The engine overheating/going into limp mode issue: this does not need to be performed as a re-call as the majority of owners won't track the car, and unless something is wrong with your car as delivered, you simply won't overheat this car on the street or 1/4 mile. Rather, what I would like to see is GM release a solution that 'cures' the overheating issue such as a secondary EOC that an owner can choose to have installed at his/her local GM dealer, and that maintains the warranty. I believe that this could be sold as an 'off-road' item and hence GM 'might' be able to avoid having this change to the drivetrain certified, and certainly I'd be prepared to pay to have it installed.

Bish
Old 07-05-2015, 12:05 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Early adopters got the worm. I would be angry that the C7 Z06 was misrepresented. Maybe you are the true waxer. The fact that you are OK with that speaks volumes. My power steering, transmission, or engine does not overheat by the way. The C8 might have these problems fixed. We can only hope.
Point made, thank you!!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes...the one who has posted lots of drag racing and track threads with data, videos, etc. is the "true waxer", not the guy who doesn't do sh*t with his car except drive it to the grocery store and take it to weekend car shows.
I wouldn't expect your C6 Z06 to overheat, fade the brakes or otherwise fail on the way to Cars and Coffee, Captain Turtle Wax.
S.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Obviously you just want to argue and discount anything I've said, so OK. Did I say level ! school? No, I don't believe that I did, and no, I don't keep lap times or videos as proof of anything, because I have nothing to prove to anyone, including you. I've made no claim to be the next Mario Andretti, I just run these events for my own enjoyment, if I wanted to compete, I'd get a racing license and compete. In fact, I'm a Corvette owner, but not a C7 ZO6 owner yet, I'm just trying to see if GM fixes the issues before I do become an owner. Have a nice day.
If I wanted to argue with you, I'd have quoted one of your earlier posts and replied to it. Rather, you quoted a post of mine not directed to you and commented about your "road course experience" and "trips to Spring Mountain".
If you're eligible for your competition license and competition, let's see some of your track videos and data. Oh wait...
My point is very simple, and the same as Bish's. Maybe you should re-read his post.
S.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:43 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Yes...the one who has posted lots of drag racing and track threads with data, videos, etc. is the "true waxer", not the guy who doesn't do sh*t with his car except drive it to the grocery store and take it to weekend car shows.
I wouldn't expect your C6 Z06 to overheat, fade the brakes or otherwise fail on the way to Cars and Coffee, Captain Turtle Wax.
S.
You seem to get your nose out of joint to anybody that says anything negative about you or your car. Excuse me while we all bow to the king. You are a legend in your own mind.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

You seem to get your nose out of joint to anybody that says anything negative about you or your car. Excuse me while we all bow to the king. You are a legend in your own mind.

And you seem to get awfully sensitive when it's pointed out that you are one of the "waxers" and "fast and furious crowd" that you constantly disparage.
If you don't like it, you can take your ball and go home to the C6 sections. Or you can stay here and whine about the C7 and Z06 like you have for going on 3 years.
S.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:33 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

True
Old 07-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Dethred
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphicDisorder
Regardless, do you feel the amount of time that he drove hard that the car should be nearly overheating? I don't.

I experienced similar running The 421 Snake in my Z06 just last weekend. I backed off to let it cool and it didn't take long to cool for sure, but I shouldn't have to do that.
If it makes you feel any better, I got my Viper last night, and after 35 miles on the odometer this morning it spit out a camshaft sensor error CEL.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:11 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

If I wanted to argue with you, I'd have quoted one of your earlier posts and replied to it. Rather, you quoted a post of mine not directed to you and commented about your "road course experience" and "trips to Spring Mountain".
If you're eligible for your competition license and competition, let's see some of your track videos and data. Oh wait...
My point is very simple, and the same as Bish's. Maybe you should re-read his post.
S.
If you READ what I said, I don't want a competition license, I don't need to compete with anyone, including you, so that's the reason I don't keep lap times or videos, I do it for enjoyment, nothing more. While we're at it, why don't we just drop 'em and see whose is bigger??: If I quoted a post of yours and offended you in some way, it wasn't my intent, but I also think you're getting a bit too defensive and argumentative here, when all I'm doing is trying to get some feedback before I make a fairly significant purchase. First you basically insult me, then you insult my car (which, by the way I did not disclose, and won't, because I'm sure it's not up to your standards), maybe you just need to chill out a bit and not take everything so seriously, you'll live a lot longer. I've always found this Forum to be a good place to discuss Corvette related subject matter with other Corvette owners, not a place to get into "he said, she said" BS, and not a place to do the one-up thing, but maybe I'm wrong on that, at least with some people. Either way, as I've already stated, I'm not in competition with anyone, and I honestly don't give a flying f**k what you think of me, good, bad or otherwise, I'm just looking for a bit of info from some guys that have the experience that I don't, before putting my money down, plain and simple. I never did have any issue with you or anyone else on this Forum, you made it an issue, I didn't, so enjoy the rest of your Holiday weekend.:cheers leaving:

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

If you READ what I said, I don't want a competition license, I don't need to compete with anyone, including you, so that's the reason I don't keep lap times or videos, I do it for enjoyment, nothing more. While we're at it, why don't we just drop 'em and see whose is bigger??: If I quoted a post of yours and offended you in some way, it wasn't my intent, but I also think you're getting a bit too defensive and argumentative here, when all I'm doing is trying to get some feedback before I make a fairly significant purchase. First you basically insult me, then you insult my car (which, by the way I did not disclose, and won't, because I'm sure it's not up to your standards), maybe you just need to chill out a bit and not take everything so seriously, you'll live a lot longer. I've always found this Forum to be a good place to discuss Corvette related subject matter with other Corvette owners, not a place to get into "he said, she said" BS, and not a place to do the one-up thing, but maybe I'm wrong on that, at least with some people. Either way, as I've already stated, I'm not in competition with anyone, and I honestly don't give a flying f**k what you think of me, good, bad or otherwise, I'm just looking for a bit of info from some guys that have the experience that I don't, before putting my money down, plain and simple. I never did have any issue with you or anyone else on this Forum, you made it an issue, I didn't, so enjoy the rest of your Holiday weekend.:cheers leaving:
You hit the nail on the head. Snorman is argumentative. That's his nature. Don't bother getting excited by his putdowns. The majority of his posts are argumentative especially if you don't agree with him. Just look at all the people in this thread he went after. He is probably a very small man in many ways.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:07 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dethred
If it makes you feel any better, I got my Viper last night, and after 35 miles on the odometer this morning it spit out a camshaft sensor error CEL.
Good thing it wasnt a rod bearing like others have had happen lol
Old 07-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

You hit the nail on the head. Snorman is argumentative. That's his nature. Don't bother getting excited by his putdowns. The majority of his posts are argumentative especially if you don't agree with him. Just look at all the people in this thread he went after. He is probably a very small man in many ways.
Actually, you'd probably find the majority of my posts are helping other people and exchanging ideas/info/etc..
The majority of your posts in this section are worthless trolling and negativity. You've been doing it for three years here and in C7. You're one of the regular C6 owners trolling here.
And believe me, I'm probably a much bigger man than you in nearly every way.
S.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***