Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
24.33%
Stage 2 Aero
19.01%
Stage 3 Aero
56.65%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 08-11-2015, 05:42 PM
pcguy2u
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 36 Times in 32 Posts

That stuff from GM doesn't float and it stinks. If what they are suggesting is true, then the problem would be universal, ie all Corvettes used on the track would experience the same problems - that simply is not happening.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 PM
2cnd Chance
CF Senior Member

Liked 295 Times in 217 Posts

I'd love to see a 530 HP NA Wide-body C7.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Wormwood
CF Senior Member

Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

Originally Posted by One Curve at a time View Post
I have a A8 Z07 and I can have the engine to overheat within a couple of laps (and I leave in Canada where the summers are warm). If I switch to manual paddles, it is the power steering that will overheat... This is very frustrating. So I call my dealer to report the issues, and this is the note I got back:

Does the US dealers have the same bulletin? Anyway, it seems that GM is telling us to shut-up!

Sorry if it is a repost but I couldn't find it in this thread...

This is fine with me, if GM wants to limit the range of environments the vehicle can operate. They just need to limit sales to regions that fall within this environment or at least make a DISCLOSURE prior to the sale of the vehicle!!!

Wormwood
The following users liked this post: Wormwood
mitchg41 (03-23-2016)
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 PM
melgies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2008 Z06 over heating

Mine is a 2008 Z06 and i had GM flush my system and install a new 186 thermostat and it got worse!!! Everything is 100% stock on my car
I have a A8 Z07 and I can have the engine to overheat within a couple of laps (and I leave in Canada where the summers are warm). If I switch to manual paddles, it is the power steering that will overheat... This is very frustrating. So I call my dealer to report the issues, and this is the note I got back:

Does the US dealers have the same bulletin? Anyway, it seems that GM is telling us to shut-up!

Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 PM
<<427_V8>>
CF Senior Member

Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Atleast GM provided an official "Fix" for you guys. Don't drive fast on tracks that make the car overheat, it's that simple. You don't really expect a 100k built car to go fast on a track all day, do you?? Just be happy that it can finish the quarter mile without getting too hot and the steering going out on you!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:08 PM
FitFam
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

That's Brillant! The car was really built for running the 1/4 mile, all that stage 3, carbon brakes etc are a gimmick to get more money out of the consumer. The car is even overheating in the Pacific Northwest which should never happen.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 PM
hyteck9
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm sad.
Even more sad it also relates to the 2016's too, so no fix coming...
Old 08-12-2015, 01:41 AM
Dabigsnake
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts

Would have been nice to have this new info from GM before I made the A8 decision. Shame shame. Very disappointing.
I certainly would have bought an M7 car. Wonder if GM would like to swap out my car for an M7? Or anybody out there? Paid $108,000 for my loaded 07, comp seats, etc etc.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:39 AM
hyteck9
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

It still doesn't explain power steering overheat. That also happens on the M7 cars, correct?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 AM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 169 Times in 132 Posts

The chevy information explains the higher RPM's when the A8 selects the gear thus leading to higher temps. That is easy to understand. Question is, has anyone had a temperature problem when manually selecting gears as suggested in the bulletin? As far as steering problems, many folks have a habit of 'sawing' back and forth unnecessarily on the steering at the track. Not saying this is the particular reason for over heating steering on the C7 but it sure causes hot fluid in the C5 and C6 when abused at the track. A smooth driver in those cars will not see a premature failure of the steering. Those that 'saw' the wheel will. Not taking issue here but I believe we would all like good, valid, anecdotal evidence of the problems.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 08-12-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:13 AM
NOSLO6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GM talking points are clearly written by marketers and communications professionals to smooth over a problem rather than recognize and remedy it as such.

So much of that these in public discourse these days.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:24 AM
garychurch
CF Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I think it is unconscionable for GM to continue to gloss over and ignore this issue. I do not care that only a "small" number of cars have this problem because I have one of their $108,000 problems. This stings because one of my major motivation to buy the car was its alleged and advertised track prowess.

As I previously stated I just want to solve the problem notwithstanding the additional costs I may have to suffer. I just want GM to enter into the diagnostic dialogue. Tell me about high coolant and oil temps, what about the power steering overheats, oh and what is the deal on the IATs as well. Come on GM, do you still have the corporate culture of silence that brought us the "ignition switch" tragedy? Please open up and talk transparently to your customers!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Wormwood
CF Senior Member

Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hyteck9 View Post
It still doesn't explain power steering overheat. That also happens on the M7 cars, correct?
Sure this does!

What you're looking at is the extent of GM's engineered safety margin. They demarcated the point of standard operating conditions related to temp. at 30C or 86F & failure of the cooling systems varies due to engine load, driver skill, radiant heat, oil life, etc. but it's pretty obvious that given all these variables the average Joe can inadvertantly operate the vehicle beyond it's safety margin & experience catastrophic prevention measures simply by driving in temps. 100F even less if this person were to run the A/C or anything that would generate more engine load.

It's that OLD GM that doesn't want to include the Z51 or Base model as they're just on the other side of this Performance envelope just the same, but a little higher in temps... Their tail is caught in a crack with the Z06 & instead of redesigning & recalling they provide a narrow window of operating conditions. What do you want to bet that there is very little in the way of regulations & consumer protections regarding vehicles & their operating/performance temps. Simply because until now car mfgs. have never conceived off building a car that would run so hot so fast that they decided to shave the safety margin related to temps. in order to stay with competition & emissions.

Temperature related issues are almost exclusively a southern issue & we can see how much GM concerns themselves with their southern customers. What a pr!ck of a company!

Wormwood

Last edited by Wormwood; 08-12-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Chuck4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire View Post
It's hard to find brand defectors. Most true car guys I've met are pretty damn loyal to their favorite brand. The new vette probably has more allure to non-vette folks than in the past, but when I go to car shows, it's not like there are a bunch of Porsche, Ferrari, Viper or GT-R guys hangin' around the vettes. For that matter, I seldom venture over to measure d!cks with those guys either.
I definitely live and breath Corvette. I will never go anywhere else that's why I permanently got this!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:04 PM
VVJJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Motor Trend Z06 Overheating

My friends C7 Z06 overheats all the time and has poor mileage to boot...he is getting rid of it very soon!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:16 PM
TKOGTO
CF Senior Member

Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts

This is a summary, almost an exact cut and paste from Tadge's reply to the overheating on track question on the Ask Tadge forum.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-track.html

Originally Posted by NOSLO6 View Post
GM talking points are clearly written by marketers and communications professionals to smooth over a problem rather than recognize and remedy it as such.

So much of that these in public discourse these days.
Yep, no way Tadge writes this w/o corporate sign-off.

Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
... Temperature related issues are almost exclusively a southern issue & we can see how much GM concerns themselves with their southern customers. What a pr!ck of a company!

Wormwood
You're not alone. Same issues up here in CT. Tadge mentioned "some build quality issues" in another reply that was likely responsible for costing an acquaintance his motor on his very 1st track day. With replacement motor, he still couldn't finish his 2nd session of track day #2. Unfortunately, it's the car not the location.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:56 PM
RichmondC7
CF Senior Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Oil temp vs water temp

Seems to me that MT's comment that the water temp look normal during overheating might because they were looking at the oil temp and not the water temp....I could be wrong but it sure looks like my oil temp.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:40 PM
DGXR
CF Senior Member

Liked 172 Times in 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
This is fine with me, if GM wants to limit the range of environments the vehicle can operate. They just need to limit sales to regions that fall within this environment or at least make a DISCLOSURE prior to the sale of the vehicle!!!

Wormwood
Exactly, about the disclosure. The posting PIP5311 / Doc ID 4249037 proves that GM knows about the issue with overheating during track use. Dealers should be required to show the posting to potential buyers before purchase. To do otherwise is at least misrepresentation of the Z06, if not false advertisement... in addition to potentially building bad reputation for the highest performance Corvette ever built. I smell greedy corporate BS.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:01 PM
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 169 Times in 132 Posts

Is there any vehicle one can purchase off of the showroom floor and take it out to track to pound on it through a tank of gas without seeing elevated temperatures in most of the fluids? Even the C5 and C6 have an extensive aftermarket for those of us that need to cool the tranny, cool the oil, cool the differential, cool the power steering fluid. Well, as far as the power steering, there is a company that builds a nice pump and rack for them that seems to last longer. I know that my C5Z would overheat oil and tranny (with warnings) on an 85 degree day after running hard for 25-30 minutes before I added components. I guess what I would like to see is someone demonstrate the problems for me while I observe how they drive. Maybe the individual driver is exacerbating the problems, maybe not. Just way too many variables involved. I have been running with other owners of corvettes at the track for several years and I have seen exact cars with different drivers differ immensely in reliability. After all, the C7Z is a highly tuned vehicle. As with most things high performance, it is difficult to get the same result with the population as a whole.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 PM
descartesfool
CF Senior Member

Liked 114 Times in 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon View Post
Is there any vehicle one can purchase off of the showroom floor and take it out to track to pound on it through a tank of gas without seeing elevated temperatures in most of the fluids? ....

Some modern fast ones for example: Viper T/A, Porsche 991 GT3 and my GT-R. You can pound those vehicles all day on track running really fast steady speeds and just use up pads, tires and fuel. No coolant overheat, no oil overheat, no transmission overheat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: