C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:30 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Perhaps your experience is different from some others. A quick search of overheating for those three makes also returned owner complaints. Of course, Porsche has been working on their design for decades, and considering the cost, may not have as many incidents of overheating. One can still add additional coolers to the vette, as many of us have, and still have quite a sum less invested. Personally, I would not expect a 600+HP car to run all day at the track without some overheating problems unless there were some extensive upgrades.
I can run my BMW M4 (turbocharged inline 6) all day in extreme heat at the track here in the Phoenix and it won't overheat. I even ran it for a 20 minute session with the A/C on (forgot to turn it off leaving staging). I have never seen the oil temp above 230 degrees even when I rode along with a pro driver in my car. He was amazed at the cooling systems. You can lay your hand on the intercooler after a session and it's cool to the touch.

Regarding Corvettes, you're right about the C5 and C6 also having overheating problems. Most of the guys I know at the track with them have to eventually get aftermarket oil coolers and radiator upgrades. Not sure why people are surprised that a heavier, more powerful C7Z with a supercharger is also having overheating problems? I would anticipate that the aftermarket suppliers will develop upgrades so that the car can be enjoyed like it's supposed to be.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:04 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Well, the great Disbeliever overheated too

85F road course (Pacfic Raceway). I never got a light, but I had to turn the AC off for a while (no one seems to care about the water that would be dripped on the track, if it really matters) up around 240 coolant and 300 oil.

Then it'd come back to about 220/275, though that time I also started shifting it myself so it wasn't holding onto 6500rpm as it sometimes would in auto.

When really hot I'd say it "bucked" a bit up over 100mph at full load, so maybe the top of 4th or 5th until I took over shifting. My first time with an automatic.

Did it tragically overheat, throw a code, pull power, and leave me on the side of the road? Nope. Is it unusable? Nope. But it was enough of an issue that it took my eye off track because I had to keep tabs on it periodically.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:19 PM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, let me be the first to say HAHAHAHA!!!! How do you like them apples??

Sorry, couldn't help it. Although I do have to say, it took a certain of ***** to post the fact that you did overheat. A lesser man would have not said a thing... so, kudos at least for that.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:25 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Did it tragically overheat, throw a code, pull power, and leave me on the side of the road? Nope. Is it unusable? Nope. But it was enough of an issue that it took my eye off track because I had to keep tabs on it periodically.
Why did you have to take your eye of the track? That's why they have bells and whistles and warning lights to let you know there is a malfunction. It seems like it ran just fine and the computer didn't see any issue.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:25 PM
NWbluez06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Heat issues

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
85F road course (Pacfic Raceway). I never got a light, but I had to turn the AC off for a while (no one seems to care about the water that would be dripped on the track, if it really matters) up around 240 coolant and 300 oil.

Then it'd come back to about 220/275, though that time I also started shifting it myself so it wasn't holding onto 6500rpm as it sometimes would in auto.

When really hot I'd say it "bucked" a bit up over 100mph at full load, so maybe the top of 4th or 5th until I took over shifting. My first time with an automatic.

Picking up new Z06 tomorrow... I have 4 track day's scheduled in our area, hope we can meet and compare notes.

NWblue
Old 08-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Hey man,

I do not have the new Z yet but soon. I still can't decide between the M7 or A8. I have talked to snorman and a few others who have given great opinion and points about the A8 and the majority seem to love it. Do you have any previous experience with the manual on prior vettes? Do you feel like the M7 would be a better set up to "beat" on while on the track now that you got to play with the A8? I love the times I am seeing with the A8 but have noticed some "heating" issues with it compared to M7. I just can't decide between the damn M7 or A8, and keep going back and forth between the two !
Old 08-13-2015, 10:51 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Why do I find it weird that you were on track with the A/C blowin? Don't you drive windows down? Were you shifting it, or driving it in "D"?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:55 PM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

It just confirms what I said yesterday about our cars overheating; I speculated that pretty much all C7 models would overheat, given the combinations of an aggressive driver keeping RPMs near redline, low gear corners and medium-to-high ambient temperatures.

Sounds like you would have gone into the warning bells and whistles modes if you did not start shifting the car yourself, likely keeping the RPMs lower than in Auto shift mode.

I think that the (hopefully) imminent arrivals of aftermarket air-to-oil coolers will do wonders to the cooling system. We may find that by dumping the factory heat exchanger and thus removing the superheated oil from the coolant circuit we may take enough heat load off the radiator to make it unnecessary to replace it. At worst, we may need to install both an oil cooler and a new radiator. In relations to the budgets for tracking cars that should not be a prohibitive expense for most.

Years ago when you ordered an average sedan or truck, you could always select a "Heavy Duty Cooling" option. Too bad that GM failed to provide those cooling upgrades as either standard equipment or options for the Stingray.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

If you're tracking the car with the A/C blowin and the car in "D"...I mean...let's be real here...help the car help itself a little, jeez.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:59 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Question. Do you have a PDR screen shot of the temps or were you looking at the graph gauge?

Reasons i ask is for some reason the graph gauges on the center screen are not accurate. I have thought before that I was running hot based on looking at the graph bars but when I checked in on the cosworth PDR I observed that the temps were quite a bit like 30 degrees cooler. You car should of triggered the overheat warning if it was at those temps.

Sucks that when these cars were coming out GM was on record stating for people that want to go fast on tracks they should get the auto car and now they have back tracked.

Could you also clarify your track mods? Coolant ratio, oil, and any aftermarket mods

Not doubting you just wanting to keep all the facts and Data out.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Deneb
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there a loss of speed with Windows down?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

I know it's not smart to use A/C when tracking, but it was brutally frickin hot in Washington today! I went bike riding with my best friend and we stopped like 3 times because it was so hot (in fairness though, I'm out of shape so...). Sorry to hear that you overheated Dave. Did you do proper track prep?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:35 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Claude,

The transmissions in the C7 Z06 are not overheating, unlike the first couple of years of the GT-Rs. GM even held back production of the A8 models to add the secondary transmission oil cooler which has cured any c/o tranny overheat situations that I'm aware of.

Nissan absolutely did not do this before they released the 2009 GT-R here in the USA, and guys like you and I became beta testers for multiple cooling solutions so that we could run the GT-R reliably for 25-30 minutes at a decent rate around a road course. I had to back off a little even with the HKS tranny cooler to keep the engine oil below the 'red zone' which IIRC is around 300dF in the GT-R. You even had to add the secondary EOC to your car to maintain decent engine oil temps.

THAT is where we are with GM at this point in time: will GM step up and take care of those of us believing them when they called the C7 Z06 the most "track capable" Z ever and produce an add-on secondary EOC, or are we going to have to turn to the after-market. Just like owners of track driven GT-Rs had to do when those cars were first released to the public.

I know you're incredibly frustrated with the issues you've had with your Z51, but as someone who has owned both a 2009 GT-R and now a 2015 Z06, I certainly feel that the Z is so much closer to being 'track ready' this early in its lifespan than the GT-R ever was.

Bish

Bish,

that is good to know about the Z06. My buddy has one and he is very pleased with it both on and off the track. But he is just learning to drive it fast although he is a little less aggressive on track than I am, and he says he is seeing temps climb and climb, but has not seen any warnings , yet.

The last time I spoke to my service manager he recommended that we move to the GM buyback stage for my Z51, as GM just cannot come up with a solution. So based on your comment, I will certainly consider upgrading to a Z06 if that comes on offer at a decent upgrade price. However if GM tries to lowball me on the buyback considering all my issues with it, then that will most likely end my relationship with GM forever. I have been considering various other cars, 991 GT3, Viper T/A which I know are very fast and never overheat. I even test drove the new AMG GT-S the other day, and that is a super nice car that really goes, and is very deluxe. More money than a Z06, as are the other cars, but I bought my Z51 thinking it was fit for serious track work, and it is not. The other cars I am considering are fit for serious track work, and if I have to spend more money to get what I want, then so be it. It is just impossible for me to solve the AFM actuator issue that causes a CEL every time they fail, as one would have to re-program the Chassis Control Module, and only GM can do that. So far that is not on offer. If it was just a cooler upgrade or two, say a rad and an EOC, then like I did for my GT-R, that would be no problem.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Wormwood
Sure this does!

What you're looking at is the extent of GM's engineered safety margin. They demarcated the point of standard operating conditions related to temp. at 30°C or 86°F & failure of the cooling systems varies due to engine load, driver skill, radiant heat, oil life, etc. but it's pretty obvious that given all these variables the average Joe can inadvertantly operate the vehicle beyond it's safety margin & experience catastrophic prevention measures simply by driving in temps. 100°F even less if this person were to run the A/C or anything that would generate more engine load.

It's that OLD GM that doesn't want to include the Z51 or Base model as they're just on the other side of this Performance envelope just the same, but a little higher in temps... Their tail is caught in a crack with the Z06 & instead of redesigning & recalling they provide a narrow window of operating conditions. What do you want to bet that there is very little in the way of regulations & consumer protections regarding vehicles & their operating/performance temps. Simply because until now car mfgs. have never conceived off building a car that would run so hot so fast that they decided to shave the safety margin related to temps. in order to stay with competition & emissions.

Temperature related issues are almost exclusively a southern issue & we can see how much GM concerns themselves with their southern customers. What a pr!ck of a company!

Wormwood
Probably already posted but here goes anyway, iPhone search too hard to do

http://www.thecorvettemechanic.com/forum/showthread.php?4627-Information-on-LT4
Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

The A8 is very nice for the drag strip. If yiu are dragging the car, that is the route I would go.

I would suggest calling LG Motorsports or other vendors about their experiences on both for road courses. There are some guys that will tell you they have no overheating problems with their cars with either set-up but do not drink that Kool aid.

JG853

Originally Posted by shayneusmc
Hey man,

I do not have the new Z yet but soon. I still can't decide between the M7 or A8. I have talked to snorman and a few others who have given great opinion and points about the A8 and the majority seem to love it. Do you have any previous experience with the manual on prior vettes? Do you feel like the M7 would be a better set up to "beat" on while on the track now that you got to play with the A8? I love the times I am seeing with the A8 but have noticed some "heating" issues with it compared to M7. I just can't decide between the damn M7 or A8, and keep going back and forth between the two !
Old 08-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I imagine a lot depends on how experienced the driver is. Drivers who are more experienced carry more speed through corners, don't down shift as much and waste less energy regaining speed coming out of corners as they didn't lose the speed to begin with. They may still get into an overheat situation but it will take longer to reach it and with a general 20 min run time for track sessions have less of a chance of reaching it during a session.

Bill
Old 08-14-2015, 11:35 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

It would be interesting to know how many overheat events are with A/C on. IMO it is too much to ask for the A/C and I also worry that the A/C compressor is designed to work well at lower RPMS can be "overspeeded" or make excessive pressure when routinely run to 6000 rpm or more. I never have A/C on when tracking and would never expect a car to run cool with A/C on.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 08-14-2015, 12:07 PM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 10WhiteGS
a z06 will never destroy a turbo s from a dig. in fact I doubt the z06 would cross the 1/4 first
My buddy has 2014 Turbo S, its 0-60 something like 2.5. It leave Violently, no stock Z06 is going to touch it. He took it to Bristol and put down a 10.9 100% stock. Some Z06 guys have beat that 1/4 time, but many are not beating it. I haven't ran my Z06 yet to see how it does at Bristol, but I bet its at best similar to the Turbo Sand more likely in the 11's. Still fast but id about wager in most races the Turbo S is going to win that race to the 1/4.

Roll race might be different....

I really dont like Porsche but that Turbo S is a super fun car and it's super comfy inside, rides amazing, and looks pretty great. It's 2x the money as well. If I had a bone to pick with it is that it doesn't sound very good to me.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought AC shuts off at WOT anyway? That isn't standard?
Old 08-16-2015, 10:54 AM
augerdogger
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Overtemp with A/C on or off

I ran 3 sessions yesterday and left each session due to overtemp issues. Session 1 was due to oil overtemp. Session 2 was due to coolant overtemp. Session 3 was coolant overtemp with A/C on. For the final session I turned the A/C on and set A/C temp at the max value with the idea that the additional cooling due to the fans running would help keep temp down, didn't work only got hot feet. I am struggling and looking for answers. The Porsche folks suggested getting a real track car that I can drive on the street, 4 Porsche, my Vette and others in my sessions. I will not run today, will review PDR data. I have had the car 2 1/2 mo.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***