C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
it was 104 degrees and there was a C7 Z06 there running that type kit and not only did it not over-heat he used his a/c all day long.
With the windows down, other than for the bravado, what good would the A/C be doing?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Comfort of course. The first year I ran my race car I still had most of the interior and a radio and AC. Couldn't use it ontrack but in the hot summers sitting in the cold pit with a nomex suit and head sock plus the rest of the assorted safety gear I was cool as a cucumber and relaxed while everyone else was sweating their butts off. Once you get waved on track you lower the windows and turn off the AC and lower the windows (still had power windows that first year). In an HPDE with a street car it would be rather stupid to not use the AC until you are ontrack. But I may be playing chess with a pigeon here.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Comfort of course. The first year I ran my race car I still had most of the interior and a radio and AC. Couldn't use it ontrack but in the hot summers sitting in the cold pit with a nomex suit and head sock plus the rest of the assorted safety gear I was cool as a cucumber and relaxed while everyone else was sweating their butts off. Once you get waved on track you lower the windows and turn off the AC and lower the windows (still had power windows that first year). In an HPDE with a street car it would be rather stupid to not use the AC until you are ontrack. But I may be playing chess with a pigeon here.
Ok Hasan Abbasifar, The comment made by Thomasmotostated "he used his a/c all day long" and not just in the pit or only prior to lowering his windows. So your dim witted attempt to throw a joke only lands the egg on your face.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:23 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I was at Heartland Park a weekend ago and an Advanced driver there had an LG cooling conversion on his white Z06. It looked fantastic, and even though I don’t mind the front end of the ZR1 since I’m a function over form type of guy, the LG cooling solution front fascia on the Z06 looks much better, IMHO. Let’s all be honest here; GM has taken the philosophy of the LG solution and adapted it to their own needs in order to keep the ZR1 cool; something they refused to do with the Z06, and in particular the A8 versions, even though we were assured by the ‘Chief Engineer’ that a solution would be released.

I don’t own my Z07 version Z06 anymore, but we should all thank Lou and the team at LG for the considerable time and money they spent perfecting a cooling solution for the C7 Z06 to keep it running cool on a road course when driven at high speed. Something GM couldn’t be bothered doing.
YEP Thebishman is right again!! Thanks to LG Motorsports and Dane Syme / LG for all your help.

The following 4 users liked this post by 360Lemans:
Dane@LGmotorsports (06-21-2018), jstewart (06-30-2018), LG Motorsports (06-21-2018), thebishman (06-21-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 AM
3dpilot
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks good!!! My goal this year👍
The following users liked this post:
360Lemans (07-14-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:41 AM
wjresq
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Class Action Update Status

For those interested in what is happening in the GM class action suits, here's a status update. First, all the cases are now in the Detroit Federal Court (a/k/a the Eastern District of Michigan). They are all consolidated under the lead case styled Matanky et al. v. GM, case number 2:18-cv-10601-VAR-APP.

Second, on July 10, GM filed another motion to dismiss, a copy of which is attached. Among the 23 arguments GM makes this time around are (see PDF pgs. 21-23 of 60):

(a) There is no implied warranty claim because the plaintiffs did not allege that cars are unsuitable for the "ordinary purpose of transportation." Hmm, I guess that means that we all should have brought a Prius since all we really should have wanted was just ordinary transportation. The "ordinary transportation purpose" that I wanted was to haul my *** around a track at high speeds without limp mode.

(b) There is no federal warranty claim because repairs were never sought from a GM dealer. LG Motorsports should love that one. I guess I screwed up when I did not walk into my dealer and say, "please repair the cooling system by ripping it out and installing one that works. There may be a vendor in Texas with some parts..."

(c) The instructions for track driving in the owner's manual were not followed (PDF p. 28). GM goes on to state at PDF p. 30 that "Plaintiffs quote a Corvette engineer saying that the Z06 is designed for racing at a maximum ambient temperature of 86 degrees, that the vehicle 'will give warnings' if 'the maximum recommended temperatures are reached' and that '[a] cool-down lap or two will bring operating temperatures back to a reasonable level and aggressive track driving can be resumed.' Id. ¶ 180. Plaintiffs do not allege that GM made any representation that the Z06 could be driven on tracks at excessive temperatures for extended periods of time and without regard for the owner’s manual instructions. Plaintiffs do not allege that they operated their vehicles in accordance with instructions provided in the owner’s manuals. Their allegations that they drove their vehicles to the point of entering 'limp mode' to protect the engine demonstrate that they did not follow these instructions." As a lawyer, I do RTFM for everything. There is nothing about limp mode in the manual and instead just a mention of a display and chime for hot transmission fluid (p. 5-44). Indeed, the manual is full of information on various track settings and how to optimize performance, as we all know.

All of these arguments are, of course, nonsense, but they do show the extent to which GM continues to fight this claim. The plaintiff's brief will be due in a couple of weeks, followed by GM's reply brief, and then argument and a decision. Maybe we'll know something by year end.

In the meantime, the legal beat goes on...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
GM MTD.pdf (729.2 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by wjresq; 07-17-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by wjresq:
ArmchairArchitect (08-07-2018), okaythen (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:23 AM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by wjresq
For those interested in what is happening in the GM class action suits, here's a status update. First, all the cases are now in the Detroit Federal Court (a/k/a the Eastern District of Michigan). They are all consolidated under the lead case styled Matanky et al. v. GM, case number 2:18-cv-10601-VAR-APP.

Second, on July 10, GM filed another motion to dismiss, a copy of which is attached. Among the 23 arguments GM makes this time around are (see PDF pgs. 21-23 of 60):

(a) There is no implied warranty claim because the plaintiffs did not allege that cars are unsuitable for the "ordinary purpose of transportation." Hmm, I guess that means that we all should have brought a Prius since all we really should have wanted was just ordinary transportation. The "ordinary transportation purpose" that I wanted was to haul my *** around a track at high speeds without limp mode.

(b) There is no federal warranty claim because repairs were never sought from a GM dealer. LG Motorsports should love that one. I guess I screwed up when I did not walk into my dealer and say, "please repair the cooling system by ripping it out and installing one that works. There may be a vendor in Texas with some parts..."

(c) The instructions for track driving in the owner's manual were not followed (PDF p. 28). GM goes on to state at PDF p. 30 that "Plaintiffs quote a Corvette engineer saying that the Z06 is designed for racing at a maximum ambient temperature of 86 degrees, that the vehicle 'will give warnings' if 'the maximum recommended temperatures are reached' and that '[a] cool-down lap or two will bring operating temperatures back to a reasonable level and aggressive track driving can be resumed.' Id. ¶ 180. Plaintiffs do not allege that GM made any representation that the Z06 could be driven on tracks at excessive temperatures for extended periods of time and without regard for the owner’s manual instructions. Plaintiffs do not allege that they operated their vehicles in accordance with instructions provided in the owner’s manuals. Their allegations that they drove their vehicles to the point of entering 'limp mode' to protect the engine demonstrate that they did not follow these instructions." As a lawyer, I do RTFM for everything. There is nothing about limp mode in manual and instead just a mention of a display and chime for hot transmission fluid (p. 5-44). Indeed, the manual is full of information on various track settings and how to optimize performance, as we all know.

All of these arguments are, of course, nonsense, but they do show the extent to which GM continues to fight this claim. The plaintiff's brief will be due in a couple of weeks, followed by GM's reply brief, and then argument and a decision. Maybe we'll know something by year end.

In the meantime, the legal beat goes on...
Assuming that the Court finds for GM, then perhaps it should at least force GM to insert the following verbiage in all Z06 advertising, portions of which are taken directly from page eight (8) of their most recent "Motion to Dismiss" provided by WJResq. This requirement would be much the same as the tobacco companies are now required to include "WARNING--Unhealthy for Use" notices in all of their advertising.

The "WARNING", using portions of GMs claim, could read as follows:

“The Corvette Z06 is merchantable but not perfect. Chevrolet's warranty of merchantability is that goods are of average quality in the industry and fit for the ordinary purpose of providing basic transportation. Perhaps you would prefer a Bolt instead!”

Said verbiage should be posted in the same HUGE text required in tobacco ads, very prominently on page one of all advertising for the Z06. My guess is that the result would be a severe dampening of sales caused by, not only by the "WARNING", but competitors, Ford and Chrysler touting, at minimum, the fact that the Z06 is defective in that it overheats under agressive driving on merely a warm summer's day. Me thinks that Chevy's ad agency would have a tough time getting over that hurdle!

Montana Bob
Old 07-30-2018, 10:32 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 3dpilot
Looks good!!! My goal this year��

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 07-30-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:38 PM
2FAST4U
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
It still looks like a punch buggy on steroids...

OMG I wasn’t gonna say it, but I was thinking it from the time I was a little kid. In fairness, it’s a damn fast and good handling car. It looks too happy for me....like it rolls up on you and says, Hi, my name is Sparky and I am fast, wheeeee!.

When end it comes to sports cars I like to do what I call “the little kid test.” Kids are innocent and uneffected by unconscious bias. When a corvette goes by they are vigorously tugging on daddy’s arm yelling, daddy look at the racing car! When a porche goes by, no reaction. Try it, i see it all the time. Very amusing.

C7 is the best looking vehicle GM ever produced IMHO. It is also possibly the fastest rear wheel production car — Stock Z06 dress on stock Cup2 tires under 100k.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2FAST4U:
Fastmikefree (08-30-2018), Izzy1000 (08-30-2018), Telepierre (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 08:53 PM
2FAST4U
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I did not denigrate your effort to find a solution, I merely stated my opinion that the look of it is amateurish. There is a difference. If anything, I commend you for the effort and result, cooling wise but the look isn't one I'd want for my car. Luckily I don't have to really face this issue as I can't track a convertible.

While the pigeon remark is funny, it is also a straw man claim. A dissenting opinion on the look LG created is not being a "nay sayer" and to the contrary (and why your comedic remark is a straw man claim) I recognized the value of their work when I said function will have to give way to form for many.

Got any more funny unrelated jargon you care to share?
I would have to agree that it’s not pleasing to the eye for a non tracker, but neither is the front of the ZR1 IMHO. Fortunately, trackers care more about function.

Last edited by 2FAST4U; 08-28-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:35 AM
Izzy1000
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U

OMG I wasn’t gonna say it, but I was thinking it from the time I was a little kid. In fairness, it’s a damn fast and good handling car. It looks too happy for me....like it rolls up on you and says, Hi, my name is Sparky and I am fast, wheeeee!.

When end it comes to sports cars I like to do what I call “the little kid test.” Kids are innocent and uneffected by unconscious bias. When a corvette goes by they are vigorously tugging on daddy’s arm yelling, daddy look at the racing car! When a porche goes by, no reaction. Try it, i see it all the time. Very amusing.

C7 is the best looking vehicle GM ever produced IMHO. It is also possibly the fastest rear wheel production car — Stock Z06 dress on stock Cup2 tires under 100k.
I understand what you're saying. I own a 2016 ZO7 that has been a real dog. GM replaced 2 engines, Clutch, fix manual trans, replace electronics in the cabin etc. This is my first Corvette. My plan was to buy a Porsche 911 GT3 for the track. My friend said try the ZO6 before you buy. It had an excellent Manual transmission with lots of power. Secondly the wait for a Porsche gt3 was at least 1 yr in late 2015. I hired an attorney to see if I can get all of my money back. He believes I will get the entire amount back. My plan was to buy a ZR1.
Now I don't know.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2018, 08:55 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Another COOL Corvette

Hi Guys,
I understand that some people don't like this look and they probably don't like the new ZR1 either but you know what also does not look good--------> A New Corvette C7 Z06 putting along on track in limp mode because it got too hot.
no worries, this car is somewhere in the Atlantic and should arrive in Germany in about 7 days then to Nurburgring by the 14th of Sept where we will have a blast with it and set whatever time we can set. AND I think it has a functional beauty about it with the wing, Hood and SPLITTER

Ciao Amigos (A little Italian/Mexican combo)

LG
The following 2 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
Thomasmoto (08-31-2018), zedbyers (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Default Lg

Hi Guys,
I understand that some people don't like this look and they probably don't like the new ZR1 either but you know what also does not look good--------> A New Corvette C7 Z06 putting along on track in limp mode because it got too hot.
no worries, this car is somewhere in the Atlantic and should arrive in Germany in about 7 days then to Nurburgring by the 14th of Sept where we will have a blast with it and set whatever time we can set. AND I think it has a functional beauty about it with the wing, Hood and SPLITTER

LG
I look forward to seeing your posts of that. Cooollll!!!
Old 08-30-2018, 11:15 PM
HessViper
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Wow!

This is a lot of reading, I started reading before I became a member here, and now that I am able to write, I just wanted to re-emphasize, WOW!
Old 08-31-2018, 01:57 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Hi Guys,

LG
This is awesome and I truly wish you fun, safety, and a good result for your team.
For the Nurb. If you are so inclined, and to get another real sense of things.. take a look at the Porsche PFF website (harmed with google translate if needed) and check out the 911GT2RS owners section.. Consensus from proficient drivers (no Pros)on the stock version (no strips and road CUP2s) hovers around 7:15 ish… and modded + Trofeo Rs..7:05 ish…
Obviously in perfect conditions and no traffic...
Salute!

Old 08-31-2018, 08:27 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Hi Guys,

LG
NICE! That car is bad *** and as good a looker and probably just as functional as a ZR1. Looking forward to here about the ring fun.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:34 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

This recently posted on FB after a ZRI manual trans overheated at Nola Motorsports. Seems all the temps got high, but the trans temp around 300 threw it into limp mode. Sad sad.
David Schmid So I ran in to Randy Pobst at Road Atlanta a few weeks back and got to talk with him. I asked him what he thought of the ZR-1. His response to my shock was he was disappointed. I asked why and he said it has over heating issues. Just WOW!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 09-14-2018, 12:03 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
This recently posted on FB after a ZRI manual trans overheated at Nola Motorsports. Seems all the temps got high, but the trans temp around 300 threw it into limp mode. Sad sad.
David Schmid So I ran in to Randy Pobst at Road Atlanta a few weeks back and got to talk with him. I asked him what he thought of the ZR-1. His response to my shock was he was disappointed. I asked why and he said it has over heating issues. Just WOW!!!!
Looks like we need to see if our trans cooling kit will fit this car. We will see

Lou g
Old 09-14-2018, 01:05 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
wow so zr1 overheats too? They still haven't fix the issue, sad sad
Old 09-14-2018, 03:03 AM
Izzy1000
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
wow so zr1 overheats too? They still haven't fix the issue, sad sad

Why not install a Meth kit. It cools the charge by at least 100 degrees

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***