C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 12:51 PM
jbretthorton
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 51 Posts

Would this new radiator require a high volume water pump also?
Old 02-12-2021, 07:01 PM
jbretthorton
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 51 Posts

So my local dealer has ordered the parts for the "upgrade" I was told it includes only the new radiator and a re-flash of the transmission...
Anyone know exactly what is done under this new extended warranty?
A parts list would be nice if anyone has it!
I also had to provide a receipt from the track to prove I was on a track... One would think that the PDR video would suffice... anywho any more info would be nice
I still am unsure if I want to have then do it or not, as it seems it really won't improve the situation
Old 02-13-2021, 11:38 AM
serendib
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The 2017 supercharger is the same supercharger as the 2015/16 model. The base assembly with the rotors is the same exact part number right down to the revision level. The difference between the two units is with the intercooler bricks, instead of lying flat in the supercharger base, they are tilted toward the front with the rear of the brick being quite a bit higher than the front. This is what necessitated the larger supercharger cover. Tilting the bricks improves airflow to the two rear cylinders Vs the flat bricks which don't provide as straight of a shot of air into the two rear intake ports. In the old version cylinders 1-6 have air blowing directly into their intake ports but the bricks end before they reach 7 and 8 so the air has to come out of the brick, make a right angle turn, and travel through a small channel before it gets to the intake port where it needs to make another right angle turn to go into the port.

Bill
My 2017 Z06/Z07 MT7 is exactly as Bill describes above for the revised supercharger. I also believe that the dealer told me that is has extra cooler(s) that the A8 does not.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:32 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jbretthorton
Would this new radiator require a high volume water pump also?
I had concerns about this with a triple pass radiator and could not find any definitive answers, so I ended up going with a DeWitts 1139114M C7 Z06 radiator.

It's absolutely gorgeous, crafted by an expert in Michigan using industry-leading manufacturing equipment, and holds four more quarts of fluid than the OE radiators. While this bulletin called my attention to how paltry my OE radiator was I came to the conclusion that even the proposed GM replacement was going to be inadequate for me in Central Texas. While the revised and improved size of the MY19 radiator would surely be better than the one I have, I have this problem on my Corvettes where I quickly suffer from egregious scope-creep when I get into a particular project.

Sure, we all have our limits (a.k.a. the budget) and we always have to manage the bang-for-your-buck ratio, but when I did my LS7 heads on my 2012 Z06 for example, I ended up going with the NASCAR quality PSI 1511ML valve springs, Johnson 2110 lifters straight out of the COPO Camaro, Moldstar 90 valve guides on par with Formula One, an 8620 Carburized Nickel-Chromium-Molybdenum camshaft, superior Powerbond balancer, etc. You get the point.

I've always felt like if I'm going to go in and touch something on my Corvette then I don't want to reinstall it if I know there is something substantially better out there, particularly if I know it's part that GM consciously choose to skimp out on. Look no further at the current C8 LT2 valve spring issue (also affects the 6.2L V8's in the trucks and SUV's,) not to mention this entire drama over cooling issue on our C7 Z06's, (particularly so with the Z07 track package and A8's.) What're a few hundred bucks on a vehicle with an MSRP in the six figures? And my time isn't exactly free, either.

I ordered my radiator direct from DeWitts who has an annual sale going on right now through February 19, where they offer 12% and free shipping with discount code SUPER12.

After much research, I also figured I may as well do the heat exchanger at the same time while I will already have my radiator out and I need to pull my front bumper anyways to replaced a damaged lens one of my front parking cameras. I ended up going with an AFCO HX as I learned that DeWitts actually builds the core for the AFCO HX and then puts a baffle in it in order to create for a dual pass HX.

AFCO as I learned from a YouTube video when Vintage Motors toured the facility in 2019, purchased DeWitts in 2015. AFCO has an entire page in their 2021 catalog about their aluminum brazing equipment and their core standards, and this is actually all DeWitts. AFCO overall is a pretty cool company with a lot of cool products.

So my local dealer has ordered the parts for the "upgrade" I was told it includes only the new radiator and a re-flash of the transmission...
Anyone know exactly what is done under this new extended warranty?
A parts list would be nice if anyone has it!
I also had to provide a receipt from the track to prove I was on a track... One would think that the PDR video would suffice... anywho any more info would be nice
I still am unsure if I want to have then do it or not, as it seems it really won't improve the situation
I attached the bulletin to this thread and here are the summary of parts for both A8 and M7. I'm sure the GM radiators are alright, just know that there are better ones out there and then it's up to you to decide what you put in your Corvette.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
n202302720 bulletin.pdf (330.1 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by BigVette427; 02-14-2021 at 03:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BigVette427:
Fastmikefree (02-14-2021), kdochert (09-15-2023)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:27 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
My 1st Z06 was a 2015 M7. It never overheated with me, but that was because I didn't have enough experience driving the car to take it to it's max. I only kept that car 3 months and got a new 16 A8 that I learned to be able to take it to it's max and it overheated every time I took it to the track. I only drag race now so it's no longer an issue for me.
YEP! My 2016 A8 Z07 limp mod every time at VIR regardless of weather conditions. After installing LG intercoolers I could run all day long. Going on 4 years now with the LG fix and not one issue at all. I do not believe the larger GM radiator will resolve the high IAT when pushing the Z06 A8 to the max.

The following 2 users liked this post by 360Lemans:
Dane@LGmotorsports (04-05-2021), firemark2643 (04-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 02:31 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Update on the upper air baffle, GM PN 84872137. Save your money because it's the exact same upper air baffle that is already on my MY16. GM just superseded the part number, it's the identical mold with a sticker over the stamped PN. Waste of shipping and restocking fee on my end. Little reason that GM would suggest replacing it unless it's broken; it really doesn't need to be in the above bulletin.

The following users liked this post:
kdochert (09-15-2023)
Old 04-04-2021, 08:18 PM
Trackout
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I had my Auxiliary radiator installed this week. Took a bit to get GM to approve the "upgrade" but after a few days waiting on parts, they installed in a day. here's the kicker though, I swear there would be some kind of cut out under the splitter tray but I guess not? is there supposed to be?
here's a couple of pics: You can see the new radiator down there, the second is the splitter tray/1st belly pan but there is no cutout. I wasn't sure if there should be.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:44 AM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the pics TrackOut!!!
Old 05-18-2021, 01:18 PM
RedZ-06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got mine fixed as well. Took about 2 weeks for the parts to come in, and my dealer had the work done in about 2 days. I won't be able to get to a track day until August, but will report back if I overheat on the same track with approx same ambient temps.
Boat Racer (05-18-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 02:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackout
I had my Auxiliary radiator installed this week. Took a bit to get GM to approve the "upgrade" but after a few days waiting on parts, they installed in a day. here's the kicker though, I swear there would be some kind of cut out under the splitter tray but I guess not? is there supposed to be?
here's a couple of pics: You can see the new radiator down there, the second is the splitter tray/1st belly pan but there is no cutout. I wasn't sure if there should be.

There is no cut out in the panel directly below the secondary radiator and there is no cut out in the undertray. Air drops through the secondary radiator into a space that is about 1 or two inches deep (as best as I can remember as I installed my Secondary Radiator 5 years ago) once in that space the air flow turns 90 degrees and exits left and right past the main radiator support bracket. What I noticed was the bottom of the main radiator inlet duct flexes to some degree so I used a sharp knife to reduce the thickness of the reinforcing bars that are molded into the panel below the secondary radiator. I didn't want the secondary radiator moving downwards and hitting those if I happened to push hard over some high rumble strips.

I think the kit that GM is installing is using some sort of bracket that gets inserted into the hole in the main inlet duct that stiffens the bottom of the duct. The GMPP Secondary Radiator just had two small brackets that clamp the secondary radiator to the bottom of the duct with two bolts on each side that are about 3 inches apart.

Bill
Telepierre (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 11:29 AM
dllhg
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

“Overheating” mega thread and all I’m reading is people comparing to Porsche for the first few pages 🤷‍♂️
Old 06-21-2021, 11:36 AM
dllhg
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedZ-06
Just got mine fixed as well. Took about 2 weeks for the parts to come in, and my dealer had the work done in about 2 days. I won't be able to get to a track day until August, but will report back if I overheat on the same track with approx same ambient temps.

Don’t get your hopes high. I had them do the new radiator etc. Laguna seca yesterday started in the 60s and foggy. 15 minutes and I was at 250 degrees coolant ☹️ Im intermediate only running 1:43s. Paddle shifting and I was even short shifting mostly. I never tracked it without the upgrade to compare. All I can say is this certainly doesn’t “fix” the issue. Really pisses me off. Have to spend $4k minimum and hack the front bumper or spend triple that for something that looks better. 😠
Old 06-21-2021, 11:50 AM
dllhg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maurice Kaufman
New to this forum. I have owned multiple corvettes over the years. My latest is a 2015 Z06 A8. Been reading about overheating issues for a while but figured GM wasnt going to address it until enough people complained.
Heard that a class action lawsuit on this issue was recently dismissed so I didnt have high hopes. Yesterday I get a letter from GM saying that if I can prove that my Z06 overheated during spirited driving they will upgrade the cooling system and change transmission shift points. No specifics. I was excited and called the dealer to make an appointment for the upgrade but was told that I either had to have photos or video of the overheat condition or a computer fault code that had come up and could be retrieved. Otherwise no go. So its obvious that GM knows there is a problem but they dont want to dish out money to fix it unless you can prove you have had an issue with your car.
easy Enough to get “proof” for them. You just need to “find” a photo of it getting hot and maybe an emailed receipt for track day.

They should do this for every customer who wants it done. Should be a recall. It’s total BS. Every auto will overheat on track unless you shift at 4000-4500 rpm maybe.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:57 AM
dllhg
Drifting

Is it even worth having GM "update" my car with the "improvements"?
Maybe for the Transmission flash?
Its worth it if it’s free. Much larger radiator. Aftermarket won’t really make much difference imo. It helps but doesn’t fix the problem by any means. It will save you some money on a radiator Atleast which should be part of any after market fix.

Last edited by dllhg; 06-21-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:06 PM
dllhg
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow

90+ and very humid. I think it was closer to 100 at the track.

https://youtu.be/UKewxFsNHwA

Recent mods:
​​​​​​New 170 tstat
90% water, 10% coolant, Water wetter
Cut away the fan shroud
sealed up bottom of engine
​​​​​

full mods:
LG cooling kit including oil cooler
OEM supercharger hex as secondary radiator
Haltech intake.
nice ! Are you A8 or M7 ? Pics of the LG installed ?
Old 06-21-2021, 12:16 PM
dllhg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Our system will solve your issues. You can run any track any temp for as long as you want. It's been installed on customer cars since 2015/2016 so it's definitely proven.

hows the install on that ? Are there any shops in Bay Area CA that are familiar with install ? I’d be hesitant to cut in to my front bumper myself.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:23 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Originally Posted by dllhg
Don’t get your hopes high. I had them do the new radiator etc. Laguna seca yesterday started in the 60s and foggy. 15 minutes and I was at 250 degrees coolant ☹️ Im intermediate only running 1:43s. Paddle shifting and I was even short shifting mostly. I never tracked it without the upgrade to compare. All I can say is this certainly doesn’t “fix” the issue. Really pisses me off. Have to spend $4k minimum and hack the front bumper or spend triple that for something that looks better. 😠
I have read where some here have come to the conclusion that as long as your HX is mounted in front of your radiator the issue will always remain. In large part due to the GM special advisory I decided to beef up my radiator on my own dime and went with a DeWitts radiator, although I acknowledge that this alone won't solve the problem should I want to run some hot laps down at COTA this time of the year.

I also upgraded the HX to an aftermarket dual-pass unit with more coolant capacity as well, but I think about the only other reasonable thing one can do is ensure that your CAC reservoir is properly bled, something that I don't believe any of the C7 Z06's were from the beginning. It's hard to imagine that the CAC reservoir issue could be the underlying sole culprit but every C7 Z06 I look at has a CAC reservoir with too much air at the top. Who knows, to each their own, I'm not tracking my Z07 much more than a few laps or quarter miles passes, anyways. (But that doesn't mean Tadge should be left off the hook, either.)

Last edited by BigVette427; 06-21-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 06-21-2021, 08:32 PM
Turbowner
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is getting done as we "speak". I got the letter and thought GM was just going to do it, but they do require proof. I am not a big "track day" guy but overheated on the 3rd lap. It never occured to me to record it or take a picture. I was a bit nervous at the time and didn't want to blow a head gasket. Being a technician myself, i just wanted to get off the track and cool it down. It didn't need to be a recall, but sending the letter to us AND requiring proof seems strange to me. At least they are trying to help. And to the other guys, just install a Cordes ice tank. It looks nice and adds capacity enough that it won't overheat. If it's in the budget, add an AFCO heat exchanger and you wont have any issues. I was afraid the tank would void the warranty, but it wont. I'm gonna stick to drag racing it now, anyway!
Old 06-21-2021, 11:32 PM
dllhg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbowner
My car is getting done as we "speak". I got the letter and thought GM was just going to do it, but they do require proof. I am not a big "track day" guy but overheated on the 3rd lap. It never occured to me to record it or take a picture. I was a bit nervous at the time and didn't want to blow a head gasket. Being a technician myself, i just wanted to get off the track and cool it down. It didn't need to be a recall, but sending the letter to us AND requiring proof seems strange to me. At least they are trying to help. And to the other guys, just install a Cordes ice tank. It looks nice and adds capacity enough that it won't overheat. If it's in the budget, add an AFCO heat exchanger and you wont have any issues. I was afraid the tank would void the warranty, but it wont. I'm gonna stick to drag racing it now, anyway!
google images of overheating c7 and you will find your “proof”. 😉
Old 06-29-2021, 07:02 PM
Turbowner
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

understood..didn't really think I had to do that, but your right. thanks

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***