C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:44 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Quillen
Temps when they were testing the A8 trans..

Attachment 47848858
Where'd this come from? If true that's not bad at all. The oil temp is on the high side, but I'd put up with it for OEM. 290 and I usually would do cool down laps back in my C5 w/o an oil cooler days.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:48 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Where'd this come from? If true that's not bad at all. The oil temp is on the high side, but I'd put up with it for OEM. 290 and I usually would do cool down laps back in my C5 w/o an oil cooler days.
Hell, with a warranty behind me I'll run the sucker until it goes into limp mode. Seeing what I see on this data log I think it would be hard to get it to 300 degrees.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:35 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Not exactly. The hp numbers may end up near the ZR1. But what you failed to acknowledge is they also said this is typical of all "supercharged cars". Therefore the figure you refer to for the ZR1 would be diminished as well.

Regardless using the diminished Z06 numbers compared to the 561 number for the ZR1 you are still missing about 50ftlb of tq in the ZR1. Which will more than offset the weight penalty for the Z06.

These cars should perform roughly the same with the Z06 being slightly quicker out of the whole or corners because of its tq advantage. Once at higher RPMs the cars are nearly identical and should hold position. This is if you believe only the Z06 loses power. If you believe they both lose power then the nod certainly goes to the Z06.
The big numbers disappear at the track.
Better check the tests from the Magazines same people who tested both cars.
Stock to stock so far. The ZR1 will be beat the Z06. You didn't know the Viper and Zr1 are a neck and neck run. 1/2 and 1 mile contest and top speed
Hi speed goes to the ZR1. I can compare slips from my own car to ones posted. Once past 0-60 or roll race contest the Zr1 will win.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:57 PM
See06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

As much I love the idea of the ZO6, why did they run a roots blower. Massive parasitic loss, IATs ,drag on the motor and huge weight etc.
Ask yourself, if it's a good road race car, How come the C7R doesn't run a blower, and any of the world challenge cars. Ask the Cadillac team why they don't use blowers..The CTSV comes SC.
I run 40 min sessions with my C6 Z and the lap times don't drop, nor do the IATs get higher and higher.
If they offered it with a LS7 of similar engine, I would buy one tomorrow...
Old 12-18-2014, 12:32 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by See06
As much I love the idea of the ZO6, why did they run a roots blower. Massive parasitic loss, IATs ,drag on the motor and huge weight etc.
Ask yourself, if it's a good road race car, How come the C7R doesn't run a blower, and any of the world challenge cars. Ask the Cadillac team why they don't use blowers..The CTSV comes SC.
I run 40 min sessions with my C6 Z and the lap times don't drop, nor do the IATs get higher and higher.
I think there are several reasons, 650 SC sounds good for marketing, so it's an easy sell. They couldn't fit a TT in so that's out. And the truth is you are in the huge minority for percentage of buyers that are tracking their car for long periods of time. I agree I'd love to see NA setup making 600+ HP but I think that would be even more expensive of a build and probably would be much harder to pass emissions. Also for the world challenge cars don't they have a limit of like 550 hp or somewhere around there, do they have any rules against FI?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:57 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

They actually developed a higher displacement NA engine for C7 Z06, but they could not make it pass emissions per comments from GM engineers mentioned by MotorTrend. I'd love to see what that engine made..
Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 AM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

THANK YOU! I AGREE!

PD blower has no place on a road course. Gotta remember most vette owners @ are all about the oh mighty 1/4 mile ET and taps. Secondly this was not GM first choice. If Ford is making a flat plane crankshaft pass emissions that why cannot GM?

One other thing that I am surprised no one has pointed out, why is the tune so conservative? Could it be that GM when testing this supercharged DI motor that they ran into reliability issues?? One would think so. Flash it and you will leave a electronic.

If new Z had dual clutch large cube flat plan I would not have a deposit on new GT3 RS.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
From pdr data app site. Video of testing using cosworth app..

Old corvette think have warning at 309°
I hit 280 at track gm said fine just run 15w-20
Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
THANK YOU! I AGREE!

PD blower has no place on a road course. Gotta remember most vette owners @ are all about the oh mighty 1/4 mile ET and taps. Secondly this was not GM first choice. If Ford is making a flat plane crankshaft pass emissions that why cannot GM?

One other thing that I am surprised no one has pointed out, why is the tune so conservative? Could it be that GM when testing this supercharged DI motor that they ran into reliability issues?? One would think so. Flash it and you will leave a electronic.

If new Z had dual clutch large cube flat plan I would not have a deposit on new GT3 RS.
Problem is 90% of buyers don't track the car. They just want to say they have highest hp and all these race track options like ceramic brakes rotors..
Blower on there to advertise higher then viper hp. GM knows average buyer doesn't understand power to weight.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Some reasons are the C7R can't run full power under the rules, anyway, so 650 hp is a waste.

Also if you think race engines are reliable, you have never raced. Most have lifespans under 50 hours. I'd be shocked if the C7R powerplant goes over 20 hours between rebuilds.

One of the greatest misconceptions around is that race components are better in any way related to long term reliability, let alone drivability on the street.

In my street cars, when on the street, I almost never fun WOT for more than 5 seconds at a time and don't repeat. I don't street race, and anyone who does more likely than not has modified their car so stock performance is largely irrelevant.

On track, I am pretty confident that a skillful driver will more than overcome any power deficit. I see hotrodded Vettes on track all the time that are not turning lap times to their potential.

All this angst over heat soak and power loss and the very first improvement most owners could use on track is driver training.

My main concern is potential overheating.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 AM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
My main concern is potential overheating.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

How come the C7R doesn't run a blower, and any of the world challenge cars. Ask the Cadillac team why they don't use blowers..The CTSV comes SC.
Class rules restrictions is probably the main reason.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point, and I also love NA engines (but FI is awesome too), however the C7 Z06 is a track capable road car, not a full on race car. The C7.R and the CTSV.R cars are full on race cars built to the rules and restrictions based on the classes they run in. No matter how capable the C7Z is, there's still a huge difference there.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:26 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
1st pull at 170 degrees coolant 568 rwhp
3rd pull without cool down/203 degrees coolant 549 rwhp

Not suprising and definitely not just a C7 Z06 issue as most every supercharged car and most NA GM cars lose 2-5% est. after 3 back to back dyno pulls
How do you think they will do in the 90+ Texas heat this summer?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Quillen
Problem is 90% of buyers don't track the car. They just want to say they have highest hp and all these race track options like ceramic brakes rotors..
Blower on there to advertise higher then viper hp. GM knows average buyer doesn't understand power to weight.
My issue is that the car were seeing is not meeting the hype.
The loss in all tests to the Viper. The Mags all tested the lack of pulling at high speed. Ie slow to 0-150.
I just sold a Stingray (shoulda maybe kept) with 570 rwhp that didn't slow down. I ran it back to back to back to 130 plus and it never even rasied the temp gauge and quite sure it was C7 Z06 fast. Not real impressed
with the electronic's either. The C7 didn't didn't make me feel good about them.
Now spending the difference towards a Z06 with slow down issues
which I don't even want to tune to fix then the raise in output raise's
the heat and likely heat issue's.

So been looking at choices. 80,000 on up there are choices.
Viper, 997 911 turbo S

But I may end up with a Z06 because even though GM pisses
me off sometimes. I'm still a Corvette guy at heart.
But waiting for sure to see what develope's. Espn with the
2015's at discount and unsold Z06's I see deals coming soon
on mn7's.
I didn't do real well on C7 but mods always lose money.
thats why the other S/c'd cars are higher and still for sale.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 12-19-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
This is an absurd argument. I don't think Foxer55 would expect to get 100% of the performance in the snow either.

There is no precedent for a car so heavily marketed as having x amount of hp and y amount of torque that can only deliver that power for short bursts of time.

GM will fix this, I have faith in them. But burying your head in the sand and making ridiculous excuses for what is happening now does NOBODY any service.
My Mercedes DD has that gad awful PD factory blower. I don't track it, but when I go WOT to pass a slow car on a two lane highway with short passing zones, I expect 100% of the horsepower that Mercedes promised, not 80%.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:56 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

My Mercedes DD has that gad awful PD factory blower.
Joe, I thought your constantly interjecting your c6z into every thread was a little childish...so now we have to hear about your Merc? Com'on Joe how much does the Merc weigh, actual wt now not some number you found online. lol

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 12-18-2014, 11:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Joe, I thought your constantly interjecting your c6z into every thread was a little childish...so now we have to hear about your Merc? Com'on Joe how much does the Merc weigh, actual wt now not some number you found online. lol
Why should I get out my bathroom scale and weigh it? I know what it weighs. 3320 pounds. It's listed on the drivers door jam(required by federal law to be) and that's the weight of my Mercedes sedan.

And what does my Mercedes weight have to do with if it's being capable of producing 100% of the horsepower that Mercedes promised when I'm counting on the supercharger to do it's job(like when pulling out into the opposing lane to pass a slow car)?

Oh, and it has a factory cold air scoop located in the grille to supply air to the supercharger and a large air to air intercooler located in front of the radiator to lower the supercharger's air temp leaving the supercharger before it is forced into the cylinders. And guess what? It doesn't raise the engine's coolant temp when I get on it. In addition, it has zero parasitic draw on the engine when the computer sees that it's not needed. And I get 21 mpg in the city and 31.5 mpg on the highway with ethanol free 93 octane gas.

I guess you can't stand to have the C7 compared to any other car, except for maybe a Pinto. Mercedes has been building forced induction engines for a long, long time, and knows what they are doing.

Now tell me, what useful information did you inject into this tread? Now don't you feel stupid?

PS-The curb weight is listed at 3250 pounds(found online) but that has nothing to do with the actual weight of my car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-18-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:00 AM
See06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

I have owned many cars over the years, I'm not brand loyal as I buy my cars with my money.I don't see why people love a car based on the company that builds it. A good car is a god car, who cars the brand.
I am not a Corvette guy, In fact, until the C6 came out I thought they were junk. I not only drive and race cars, I work on them too.
I go to Cars and Coffee and see 30+ Corvette guys that do nothing but polish them tell each other how good they are.
My C6Z it great for the money, I modified and it sits around 600whp and I removed the crappy seats. I'm not a professional driver, but I can hold my own and I do 30-40 sessions running as fast I can go without problems. With 0W 40 Mobil 1 I run 260F oil temps in July( Florida) and never have an issue, The brakes start to fade at the 40 minute mark ( Seebring)
I don't think the new Zo6 will do that.
I guess I will either buy a left over 2013 ZO6 or dump some more money on mine.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:42 AM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe t stat and tune??????

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***