C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:26 PM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I believe the C7 Z06's quickest bone stock 1/4 mile time will beat the quickest C6 ZR1's best time by roughly a tenth or so.
The bone stock C6 ZR1's best pass was 10.66@132+mph (others have gone 10.7s as well so it is capable of repeating it).
That IS stock Porsche Turbo S 'territory' in case anyone was keeping score.
Yes, a rear mounted engine/AWD will offer some acceleration advantages on the street for average drivers over a powerful RWD car, but trapping over 130+mph is no joke no matter how ya slice it.
Well if I get my C7Z buy Jan 25 I will have some nice 1/2 miles traps to compare with. But I can tell you it won't be anywhere near 160mph, and that PCar made 165mph look easy,
Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ibleedgreen
Well if I get my C7Z buy Jan 25 I will have some nice 1/2 miles traps to compare with. But I can tell you it won't be anywhere near 160mph, and that PCar made 165mph look easy,
Are you saying a stock 991 911 Turbo ran 165 mph in the 1/2 mile? At Georgia last weekend?
If so, that would be extremely impressive given that a stock 997.2 TT will run ~170 in the the mile. A ZR1 will run mid-180's in the mile.
S.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
often I agree with your posts, but not here. I don't see how any true car guy can be "pretty damn" loyal to any brand
I'm not saying I agree with them, because like many here, I, too, am a fan of lots of other rides. But, it sure seems like I run into a lot of guys who will only buy Fords, Merc's, Porsche's, etc.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Shifterkartdrvr
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Simple question. Any Porsche model except spyder. Am I missing anything? Aside from name of the Porsche vs the Chevy, it seems like Z06 will destroy every Porsche model out there, including turbo S in every department. Maybe not so much in interior, but who buys these cars for the soft leather.
Go check out the C7....look at it closely. Then get in your car and drive over to the Porsche dealer and look at them closely. You'll see why.
There is more to the everyday driving experience than track times (most will never get anywhere near a track or drive either anywhere near it's limits).
Old 09-23-2014, 12:20 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Shifterkartdrvr
Go check out the C7....look at it closely. Then get in your car and drive over to the Porsche dealer and look at them closely. You'll see why.
There is more to the everyday driving experience than track times (most will never get anywhere near a track or drive either anywhere near it's limits).
SMH, enough of misleading people! It's a Porsche, not a Bentley.....don't get carried away with your perceptions!!

A base Porsche's interior is whatever.....you have to fully option them out to get a nice enough interior.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Agreed.

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
A base Porsche's interior is whatever.....you have to fully option them out to get a nice enough interior.
True.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:46 AM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
@ the OP

I would take a Turbo 4S any day over the C7 Z06...and FWIW...a 4S will probably destroy a C7 Z06 in sheer acceleration off the line - you just can't compare RWD to AWD...

Sounds like the only thing you measure a car by is bang for the buck...but for me, and most serious car collectors/ owners, there's much more to it than that.

I could give a damn about that - the Porsche is a work of art with a serious quality build - as well as being a very serious performer.

0-60 (if that's how you want to measure it) goes to the Porsche...

So, how exactly does a Z06 "destroy" every single Porsche out there??

By the way, my FGT, which was only a bit more than a ZR1 when I bought it, will "destroy" a Z06 every single day...in every way, except price.

I would venture a guess that even a C7 Z won't touch my FGT's...and I have a 1000+ RWHP Z06 FWIW...
0-60, sure, we all know the benefits of AWD and the limitations of RWD. I am talking about around a race track. Braking, turns, handling, the whole package. The sound too and doing 30-40 mph pulls. Put them side by side at 30 mph and gun it, let's see where the Porsche's 6 cylinder 3.8 liter engine takes it to.

You can buy 3 Z06s for the cost of 1 turbo 4s.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 AM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have actually sat inside a fully loaded C7 with all bells and whistles. The leather, dash, HUD, it all looks very nice. The transparent roof, carbon fiber parts, it looks extremely well done. Porsche on the other hand last time I checked were still stuck using the same dials in tach from 10 years ago. Their armrest area and center console is too busy with too many buttons. The only thing I like in Porsche that C7 I think does not have is the alcantara headliner.

I know devil is in the details and I'm pretty sure if I were to drive a 911 and a C7 for 6 months, I'd probably see more details, but this is a car you buy for its pure driving pleasure. It's not your daily driver sedan that you spend 15,000 miles/year with. When I take my 2 seater out, I care about the sound, speed, handling, and the way it looks.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

but this is a car you buy for its pure driving pleasure. It's not your daily driver sedan that you spend 15,000 miles/year with.
We'll actually it is for me and a bunch of other drivers. I drove my z06 every day without any complains and put 52k trouble free miles on it. I just wanted to try something different and I'm glad I did.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ibleedgreen
And if you don't think these aren't badass you aren't a car guy lol.

It still looks like a punch buggy on steroids...
Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Why?

People buy Porsches to differentiate themselves from people like me who buy Corvettes. I work with MD's who wouldn't think of buying a car that regular working guys like myself can buy.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:02 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Simple question. Any Porsche model except spyder. Am I missing anything? Aside from name of the Porsche vs the Chevy, it seems like Z06 will destroy every Porsche model out there, including turbo S in every department. Maybe not so much in interior, but who buys these cars for the soft leather.
They want to say they have a Porsche. Ugliest cars in the world!
The following 2 users liked this post by meadowz06:
Fast Cars & Horses (12-12-2015), marcw737@hotmail.com (10-10-2019)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:09 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Why would somebody buy a p car over a vette?

Maybe b/c that is what he wants. Which the reason I'm getting the Z - I want one.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06

Ya, just hideous..

Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Why choose a 911 over a Z06? It's a very personal decision.

Porsche has a great heritage of building successful race cars and sports cars. The 911 is over 50 years old - not quite as old as the Vette, but still has an incredibly rich history. Some people like to own and drive something that is a part of that legacy.

The driving experience is hard to explain but its different. Having the engine behind you, hearing the sounds, feeling the responsiveness of the brakes is amazing. Porsches have never been about big power but more about handling - although they have certainly been very quick for a very long time.

When I compare the 911 to the Corvette, the word that keeps coming to mind is "precision." In driving, in fit and finish, in how solid everything feels.

This isn't to bash on the Vette - it is just a different experience. Go drive one and see if you like it.

After owning a new C5 and later a new C6 for many years, I was waiting for the C7, maybe even the new Z06. I had never had a Porsche before and I wanted to see what it was like. (It is indeed possible to like more than one brand of car! Sometimes, I think I am a minority in this, though!) Although I am sure I would have enjoyed the Stingray or the Z06 very much, I have no regrets at all.

All of these cars have far more capability than I would ever be able to use on the street and even on the track, their capabilities certainly exceed my own capabilities as a driver. That is probably true with most people which is why we tend to resort to racing magazine article times, especially for a car that isn't even available yet...

That being said, I look forward to reading your reviews when you all get your Z06s!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
LOL. 18 corvette's and counting!
Why experience other cars and broaden your horizons when you can just buy the same car over and over.
What's for dinner? Same as last night....

Talk about ugly. You'd have to be nuts to not want a C7 over this..
Said no one ever.

Name:  otXeVVZ.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  58.5 KB

Last edited by PDCjonny; 09-23-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Just buy the car you like and can afford
This.

Why does anyone care what someone else does with their money & free time. If someone wants to buy a Porsche, then have at it. Same with buying a Z06.

Some of you guys belong in soap operas.
The following users liked this post:
AFRJacket (06-28-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 09-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Because things like the Carrera GT (more expensive yes) and the new 911 TurboS exist. Last time I checked, the TurboS does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, which is faster than the Z06 will go. So no, it doesn't destroy it. Also the interior is nicer, it's not a cramped sardine can. I like the Z06, and I wouldn't expect anything but chest thumping support for the Z06 in a Corvette forum, but why are you even asking the question then when you know that the consensus would be the Corvette (again, on a CORVETTE forum)?

I can think of plenty Porsches that I would take the Z06 over, but I can also think of plenty that I would pick over the Z06.
The following users liked this post:
AFRJacket (06-28-2021)
Old 09-23-2014, 12:59 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
LOL. 18 corvette's and counting!
Why experience other cars and broaden your horizons when you can just buy the same car over and over.
What's for dinner? Same as last night....

Talk about ugly. You'd have to be nuts to not want a C7 over this..
Said no one ever.

Said me.
I don't like punch buggies.

I can name dozens of cars I'd own before willingly owning a Porsche (unless money Going To Me, and not Porsche or someone else was involved of course Pay me and sure I'll bite). Part of the experience is aesthetics, and P cars aside from the Carrera GT just don't have it imo. VW Bugs are not the high mark of automotive styling.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:05 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
Because things like the Carrera GT (more expensive yes) and the new 911 TurboS exist.
Comparing cars of those price ranges to the Z06 isn't like comparing apples to apples.
They couldn't be more different to a Corvette.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***