C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:45 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
And if you wait until the end of the year when the 2016's are about to hit, you will get one 5k off.
Lol and Santa really doe exist....
Old 11-12-2014, 12:19 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by joelbob
Living in MN, there are not too many sports car choices that work year round. I'm on my 2nd 911 Turbo with snow tires and I can't say enough about how great this car does in terrible weather, great AWD system. The maintenance does cost a bit much on these, but if you buy low mileage used and sell before 60k miles you should not run into that many problems.
For the record, even RWD cars with quality performance snow tires (REAL snow tires, not 'all seasons') on them can also do very well in snow/ice. Not as well as AWD of course but very well nonetheless.
I live in NJ and while our winters are not as bad as MN, they can get pretty bad. All but one of my cars has been RWD and I've never gotten stuck while on my winter wheels/tires.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:08 AM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I drove a few Cayman S' and a 911 C4S a few years ago. The handling on the Cayman was simply amazing. The car felt so planted and inspired so much confidence...

I just couldn't justify the Price/HP ratio...
Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 AM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Simple question. Any Porsche model except spyder. Am I missing anything? Aside from name of the Porsche vs the Chevy, it seems like Z06 will destroy every Porsche model out there, including turbo S in every department. Maybe not so much in interior, but who buys these cars for the soft leather.
Ever have a Porsche?
They are cool and fun.

Thats why.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...ar-of-the-year

no vette this year.

next years Z06 vs GT3RS should be interesting.
Great Comparison!!! It explains well why Porsche has no substitute.

I am really looking forward to the GT350!!! There will be an announcement Nov 17 about the Shelby Mustang!!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:17 AM
joelbob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
For the record, even RWD cars with quality performance snow tires (REAL snow tires, not 'all seasons') on them can also do very well in snow/ice. Not as well as AWD of course but very well nonetheless.
I live in NJ and while our winters are not as bad as MN, they can get pretty bad. All but one of my cars has been RWD and I've never gotten stuck while on my winter wheels/tires.
Agreed - real snow tires go a long ways with RWD as well. It would be interesting to see how a Z06 does in winter on snow tires, I'd guess it would be a challenge with such wide tires and so much power. I had a Boxster 10 years ago with winter tires, it did fine overall.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Simple question. Any Porsche model except spyder. Am I missing anything? Aside from name of the Porsche vs the Chevy, it seems like Z06 will destroy every Porsche model out there, including turbo S in every department. Maybe not so much in interior, but who buys these cars for the soft leather.
Well maybe not so evident in the balance of the car while driving.

The P cars DO give a very real feedback when driving.

GM just has not gotten to this yet and it is one of the gems of the 911.

Maybe the new Z06 is improved but unless I missed something Porsche still holds the candle in this dept.

Not hate for the Z06 just stating what is true.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:04 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by joelbob
Agreed - real snow tires go a long ways with RWD as well. It would be interesting to see how a Z06 does in winter on snow tires, I'd guess it would be a challenge with such wide tires and so much power. I had a Boxster 10 years ago with winter tires, it did fine overall.

not where I live.

boxster had 192 ft-lbs of torque (less than 1/3 Z06) in 2004, mid-engine also contributed.

Last edited by 05dsom; 11-12-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:54 PM
alvaro1728
1st Gear

>> Why would anyone choose Porsche over Z06?

I've always loved the look and bang-for-the-buck of the Corvette. To me there are very few cars on the road that look better than a red C6 Z06. It's simply stunning all around. The C7? Not so much. The front and sides look great, but the back is just awful. I've tried to warm up to it but I'm still not pleased...

Despite this, I wanted to test drive the car at the beginning of the year when I was looking to get into a hot sports car. One of the big dealers in this area had four on the lot but they were all locked up with a $25K markup on them. I wasn't allowed to sit in them, much less go for a test drive. WTF! If the interior and the performance is as good as everyone claims, it's very likely I would have bought one, even at MSRP. But the dealers had a different "strategery" on their minds...

I decided to check out Porsche dealers in my area and I had no trouble test driving new Caymans, Boxters, Carrera S, Carrera 4Ss, and even used Turbos. After about a month I found this 997 Turbo S, with very low miles, great customizations, and at a great discount. It puts a smile on my face just looking at it, not to mention when I push the gas out of a light.
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Well maybe not so evident in the balance of the car while driving.

The P cars DO give a very real feedback when driving.

GM just has not gotten to this yet and it is one of the gems of the 911.

Maybe the new Z06 is improved but unless I missed something Porsche still holds the candle in this dept.

Not hate for the Z06 just stating what is true.
I disagree with this.
The C7's steering feel and feedback is as good as the 911. In fact, I think it is a little bit better.
The shorter wheelbase 911 tends to be twitchy and somewhat oversensitive compared to the C7. The car rotates very quickly and is predictably less balanced and neutral than the C7 (and presumably the Z06).
S.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:27 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I disagree with this.
The C7's steering feel and feedback is as good as the 911. In fact, I think it is a little bit better.
The shorter wheelbase 911 tends to be twitchy and somewhat oversensitive compared to the C7. The car rotates very quickly and is predictably less balanced and neutral than the C7 (and presumably the Z06).
S.
I don't agree, at least as it pertains to a 997.2 Carrera. I have never felt "twitchy" or "oversensitive". I think what you experienced was transparent steering feedback which is why the Porsche 911 is so great, and something the Corvette is incapable of with the engine in front, along with bulky wheels/tires.

Plus, I find the new electronic steering systems to be "twitchy" and over sensitive. I much prefer the hydraulic steering in my Porsche 997.2 and my E93 BMW 335is.

Last edited by beden1; 11-14-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by beden1
I don't agree, at least as it pertains to a 997.2 Carrera. I have never felt "twitchy" or "oversensitive". I think what you experienced was transparent steering feedback which is why the Porsche 911 is so great, and something the Corvette is incapable of with the engine in front, along with bulky wheels/tires.

Plus, I find the new electronic steering systems to be "twitchy" and over sensitive. I much prefer the hydraulic steering in my Porsche 997.2 and my E93 BMW 335is.
You're probably right. I don't really know what I "experienced" and you do. I'm not really in a position to make direct 991 911 to C7 comparisons despite the fact that I own and drive both regularly and you...well..don't.

FWIW...3rd party testers have made the same comments I have. And the 991 has an electrically assisted rack and pinion, unlike the old 997's. So while you are disagreeing with me, you are agreeing that the "electronic steering systems" are "twitchy" and "over sensitive".

Having your own opinion is great. But don't tell me what I "experienced" when you have no clue.
S.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:15 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're probably right. I don't really know what I "experienced" and you do. I'm not really in a position to make direct 991 911 to C7 comparisons despite the fact that I own and drive both regularly and you...well..don't.

FWIW...3rd party testers have made the same comments I have. And the 991 has an electrically assisted rack and pinion, unlike the old 997's. So while you are disagreeing with me, you are agreeing that the "electronic steering systems" are "twitchy" and "over sensitive".

Having your own opinion is great. But don't tell me what I "experienced" when you have no clue.
S.
Actually, I do have a clue, and quite frankly, I'm not sure why you needed to make a snide remark. I have not read any articles that have said the Porsche 991 electronic steering is "twitchy". I have read that about the C7 however. I drove both a 991S and a C7 and preferred the accurate hydraulic steering in my 997.2. And, although the hydraulic steering in my '11 BMW 335is feels weighted, at least it is very stable as compared to these electronic steering systems.

I also have a new Mercedes GL450 with electronic steering and find it to be too sensitive, just as I did when driving the Corvette C7. It gets to be a chore to drive long distances because you have to really stay attentive (I drove the Mercedes SUV from PA to FL last month during a 1,146 mile trip). I hope we will find the C7 Z06 steering system is more stable by design, and closer to how the Porsche 991S felt to me. I'm not holding out hope that it feels like the steering in my Porsche though.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 PM
jumper5836
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by alvaro1728
>> Why would anyone choose Porsche over Z06?

I've always loved the look and bang-for-the-buck of the Corvette. To me there are very few cars on the road that look better than a red C6 Z06. It's simply stunning all around. The C7? Not so much. The front and sides look great, but the back is just awful. I've tried to warm up to it but I'm still not pleased...

Despite this, I wanted to test drive the car at the beginning of the year when I was looking to get into a hot sports car. One of the big dealers in this area had four on the lot but they were all locked up with a $25K markup on them. I wasn't allowed to sit in them, much less go for a test drive. WTF! If the interior and the performance is as good as everyone claims, it's very likely I would have bought one, even at MSRP. But the dealers had a different "strategery" on their minds...

I decided to check out Porsche dealers in my area and I had no trouble test driving new Caymans, Boxters, Carrera S, Carrera 4Ss, and even used Turbos. After about a month I found this 997 Turbo S, with very low miles, great customizations, and at a great discount. It puts a smile on my face just looking at it, not to mention when I push the gas out of a light.
Congrats.

I am thinking a 997.1 Turbo as a DD. Prices dropping which makes it a bargain compared to a C7 Z06. I also want the awd for winter driving and the 997.1 Turbo has a excellent engine. I wouldn't trust the new engine they are putting in them after 2009. Not for cold climate driving and the wait is to long to ever know its durability. Not many people drive in cold climate conditions where they do cold engine starts in freezing temps. Most are in heated garages and don't have the cold start or their hibernating garage queens.
Though the auto C7 Z06 is very tempting with its hp, gas eco mode and a better automatic transmission.

Last edited by jumper5836; 11-14-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

S.
You are as straight shooting as it comes. Knowledgeable and experienced in all cars without embellishment. Gathering your information and forming educated opinions based on direct extensive personal experience. Not what you read in a magazine or think you feel on a test drive somewhere. It's extremely rare. It's what my friends, my Wife and I are about. We could have some serious fun at events. In addition my Wife looks to be a decent drag racer and could probably learn a thing or two from you.

You're probably in Florida or somewhere warm for the Winter, pounding the **** out of the Ford as often as you can but next season up here will be on us soon. Come out with us at a Riesentoter PCA event. Starting in March we will be at the Zone 2 event at VIR. Bring some friends. We would have an awesome time!! Bring whatever car you want to. We don't care. Shoot me a PM sometime if you would have any interest.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by racezx9
Lol and Santa really doe exist....
Just fact,( I guess Santa does exist... And if that is the case Im asking him for an avendator ) kerbeck does this with all of their stock at the end of model year.... Ask me how I know...
Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I would not choose a Porsche over a Z06 (nor a Stingray)... but I always liked them, so for me I just added one... very recently the all-new Macan S. Heck I waited 6 months for this order so no crying if my Z06 order is stuck on any delays or QC hold!

On a more serious note though... I'm a fan of many sports car marques and grew up with my father driving Porsches (944 Turbo, 928 S4, 911's). My dream car was a 993 Turbo. And frankly, I always liked Corvettes but never thought I'd actually buy one until the C7 was revealed... game changer so enough said there. In short, I just like them both... Porsches and C7s.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 AM
CasperDog
Instructor

Maybe because the GT3 won C&D Performance car of the Year
Old 11-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

I have always been a Porsche guy I just bought my first Corvette and I can give you a list of reasons but the biggest reason that stands out is quality! I have to admit I'm a little surprised at the finish of the Vette and the fact that the controls still remind me of my 1983 Trans Am, one would think it been 30 years maybe things would have been updated a bit!
Don't get me wrong I love my car but it's no Porsche and I will someday on another when I can afford what I would like. It's not all about the speed!

Bellow is a picture of my 09' Convertible I would trade it for my customers 06' 911 Carrera S in a heart beat!

Name:  20141109_165202_zpsed54d73a.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  41.0 KB
Old 11-15-2014, 12:11 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Not a fan of the aero kit on 997's

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***