C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:08 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by thebishman
C&D. Read their report as it mentions the M7 car pulling timing/throwing a code. It's toward the end of the article.
Bish
The report says nothing about overheating, cars throw codes for lots of reasons.

"We tested both the automatic and manual Z06, the latter returning numbers lower than expected. The base seven-speed coupe, 3559 pounds, did a 60-mph strafe of 3.4 seconds, a quarter-mile clobbering in 11.5 seconds at 126 mph, skidpad laps averaging 1.12 g’s, and a stop from 70 in 139 feet. However, our tester grumped that the car should have been quicker, especially since its computer threw a code during testing and may have been cutting power. Even if it was, the car still posted numbers comparable to the old ZR1. Retesting before deadline wasn’t possible, so we teed up our next subject, a Z07 automatic coupe, which logged the performance shown in our charts."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ll-test-review
Old 12-04-2014, 01:44 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
My C6 Z06 used to overheat after 3 laps. I cured the problem with a larger radiator and Breathless oil cooler which also gave me another 4 quart of extra capacity. I drive my cars at 100% at the track so Im not your average driver. By the way, the best mods done on the car.

I'm between C7 Z06 and the coming GT3 RS. I will wait until more people take their C7 Z06 to the track and report back.
My 2006 Z06 used to not go more than 270 degrees at my local tracks, while I had the upgraded Z07 radiator on my 2013 Z06, which had the engine oil cooled by coolant, and also stayed around 270s after the upgrade.

I do have a Camaro SS 1LE, now, and it hit 290 degrees, after which I installed a huge oil cooler (which I posted a how-to on it here), which cured the issue. I heard from Improved Racing that their customers that own C7 Z51 also went with this huge core, and they reported that they stay around 250-260 degrees F at the track:

Originally Posted by skank
I've also watched this 2 or 3 times and it's an excellent informational video that gives the best analysis of the car to date. The white A8 ZO7 spec car that Randy Pobst drove was also driven by Andy Pilgrim of Cadillac Racing for Autoweek and Tommy Milner of Corvette Racing. Videos of all three drivers have been up since the day the media embargo came off. There's a real possibility that this particular car was run hard by these three pro's and any other media people that day so the overheating issue is suspect in my mind. We will see !!!! Milner lapped 58 hundredths(.58) of a second faster than Pobst which is a lot. Take a look at this thread on the time differential. I calculated a few bits of lap time info that was very revealing.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-atlanta.html
In his defense, Randy's posted time is his first hot lap ever, and he already stated there was more time to be gained, but they could not try it since the engine overheated and they did not have much time left. I personally think he could easily close the gap if he had time. Milner is GM-sponsored, so he won't talk about any issues, etc., and will have time to get used to the car (if not already, given he drives Corvettes as a job).
Old 12-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Z06Wolf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
My understanding was it was the trans. cooler and they upgraded it! R&D.

But, this car is carrying more load than the ZR1 so it may heat soak as bad even with the DI and the hood radiator deal attributes.

I too heard a rumor it was the trans. cooler and it was upgraded. That was from my dealer. Obviously, this is a concern for many. Can you confirm your source (in general terms)?

I can't...but I was told that it may be a contributing factor to the A8 delivery/production delays (which again, is pure conjecture).

Last edited by Z06Wolf; 12-04-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: grammar snob...
Old 12-04-2014, 05:32 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
The report says nothing about overheating, cars throw codes for lots of reasons.

"We tested both the automatic and manual Z06, the latter returning numbers lower than expected. The base seven-speed coupe, 3559 pounds, did a 60-mph strafe of 3.4 seconds, a quarter-mile clobbering in 11.5 seconds at 126 mph, skidpad laps averaging 1.12 g’s, and a stop from 70 in 139 feet. However, our tester grumped that the car should have been quicker, especially since its computer threw a code during testing and may have been cutting power. Even if it was, the car still posted numbers comparable to the old ZR1. Retesting before deadline wasn’t possible, so we teed up our next subject, a Z07 automatic coupe, which logged the performance shown in our charts."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ll-test-review
I'm well aware of that, but C&D's experience is closely tied to what MT mentioned about RP in the M7 version that was getting slower/pulling timing on each lap and then threw out an "overheat" warning light. They don't mention whether is was the transmission or engine oil but it is was pulling timing I'm inclined to think it the engine.
Bish
Old 12-04-2014, 08:10 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to call shenanigans on the "it will only happen to a pro" - there are plenty of track rats that can drive hard.

It will be disappointing if this is more than a fluke. A $80k+ track focused car should be able to not need mods to make it through a track day.

Hope it is just a fluke.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:08 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Z06 with a DeWitts radiator and Setrab oil cooler will still overheat seeing oil temps over 300F. Certain tracks tend to make it overheat more than others. My next step would be to vent the hood but would rather not go to that extreme.

I imagine the new Z will have some heating issues and hopefully, some aftermarket guys will find a practical solution for this issue.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:17 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
My Z06 with a DeWitts radiator and Setrab oil cooler will still overheat seeing oil temps over 300F. Certain tracks tend to make it overheat more than others. My next step would be to vent the hood but would rather not go to that extreme.

I imagine the new Z will have some heating issues and hopefully, some aftermarket guys will find a practical solution for this issue.
Is your Z06's engine stock otherwise? Which Setrab core do you have?

Last edited by X25; 12-05-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:44 AM
corvettefrance
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the chance to drive a GT3 on a track you ll understand why
Also look at the value of a 10 years old Porsche and a ten years old corvette
Old 12-05-2014, 12:51 AM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430

Go with Breathless twin oil coolers. Not only it gives more surface area exposed to air (sits in fog lights spot) but also gives you 4 extra quarts of oil for better heat control.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:53 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Is your Z06's engine stock otherwise? Which Setrab core do you have?
Yes, stock engine. I don't recall which Setrab but it was the biggest model we could fit it.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:11 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettefrance
Also look at the value of a 10 years old Porsche and a ten years old corvette
Ok, let's look at that.
A 2004 Corvette was roughly $45k brand new (before any rebates/incentives which WERE available to most buyers back then) and sells for roughly $19k - $24k now depending on mileage.
A loss of roughly $21k - $26k.

A 2004 Porsche 911 coupe cost roughly $68k brand (few if any rebates/incentives available) and those sell for roughly $26k - $36k today depending on mileage.
A loss of roughly $32k - $42k.

Value? Which owner actually lost more money?

Boxsters, though cheaper to buy than a 911, also lost MUCH MORE value in the used market over those 10 years as well.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:27 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

For me there isnt anything beyond a c4z that I would rather have than many many P cars. Its not about performance. The way I see it.. Its like saying a track star, semi decent looking of course is better than a supermodel in performance. OR, a **** star vs a model if thats how you are measuring performance I think Many Porsches are stunning. They have a different 'feel' to them. I do like the c7 but the back end will forever keep me away. I like the copy c4 interior . Actually I really like it plus the competition seats but enough to own one even vs a 996 turbo.. Nope. Or even many other P cars for that matter.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:30 AM
emaratee
Instructor

Originally Posted by DerStig
Simple question. Any Porsche model except spyder. Am I missing anything? Aside from name of the Porsche vs the Chevy, it seems like Z06 will destroy every Porsche model out there, including turbo S in every department. Maybe not so much in interior, but who buys these cars for the soft leather.
Porsche is a Porsche .. Corvette is a Corvette

Debug it the way you like ..
Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Gee, let's see. A Cayman GTS/PDK with some nice options for 90 grand, a Turbo S for around 200 grand, a GT3 for 150 ish, a Stingray for 60/70 ish or Z06 for 85, tricked out Z06/Z07 105/110. What's to talk about ? One word. Ego. Porsche "feel" ?!?!?!?!? What about C7 "feel" ? ( we're not talking about old days ride and handling. We're talking about modern day highly dialed in developed corvette feel). What about looks. Stingray/Z06 striking head turning beautiful exotic yet still corvette looks vs a homely hunchback turtle "iconic" look. Last but not least, price. TWICE as much for a Porsche. My conclusion : Porsche is not better, just different at twice the price. I had a 996 TT for 5 years( while also having a tricked out C5 and C6). I've had my last Porsche. Been there done that. My next fun car will be a 2016 C7 Z06 A8 coupe.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Ok, let's look at that.
A 2004 Corvette was roughly $45k brand new (before any rebates/incentives which WERE available to most buyers back then) and sells for roughly $19k - $24k now depending on mileage.
A loss of roughly $21k - $26k.

A 2004 Porsche 911 coupe cost roughly $68k brand (few if any rebates/incentives available) and those sell for roughly $26k - $36k today depending on mileage.
A loss of roughly $32k - $42k.

Value? Which owner actually lost more money?

Boxsters, though cheaper to buy than a 911, also lost MUCH MORE value in the used market over those 10 years as well.
Did you ever own a P car out of warranty? Talk about getting raped?
Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
I've also watched this 2 or 3 times and it's an excellent informational video that gives the best analysis of the car to date. The white A8 ZO7 spec car that Randy Pobst drove was also driven by Andy Pilgrim of Cadillac Racing for Autoweek and Tommy Milner of Corvette Racing. Videos of all three drivers have been up since the day the media embargo came off. There's a real possibility that this particular car was run hard by these three pro's and any other media people that day so the overheating issue is suspect in my mind. We will see !!!! Milner lapped 58 hundredths(.58) of a second faster than Pobst which is a lot. Take a look at this thread on the time differential. I calculated a few bits of lap time info that was very revealing.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-atlanta.html
That is not a significant difference. The difference is Randy driving 9 tenths for a magazine and Pilgrim and Milner test drivers setting laps to represent the brand. It's like DE level of effort vs qualifying level of effort. Look at Randy's times in the Viper from the mag test to when Ralph Gilles called him out as scared of the Viper. Randy always leaves time on the table when driving for mag tests. Randy picked up 1.5 seconds from his first time in the car to the second. Part of the Viper test being slow the first time was a toe issue but the other part was randy with the bit between his teeth. Now he may not be as fast as Milner, but he's not going to be far behind.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:36 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Look at the leather on drivers seat and the c7 z06 is just 1 day old.

Last edited by TARANTULA; 12-05-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

This is still going on?

The thread that keeps on giving!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:58 PM
malmasri
Cruising

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
My C6 Z06 used to overheat after 3 laps. I cured the problem with a larger radiator and Breathless oil cooler which also gave me another 4 quart of extra capacity. I drive my cars at 100% at the track so Im not your average driver. By the way, the best mods done on the car.

I'm between C7 Z06 and the coming GT3 RS. I will wait until more people take their C7 Z06 to the track and report back.
I hope you have a deposit on the RS long ago, chances of getting one are slim to none .
Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
This is still going on?

The thread that keeps on giving!
and to think how silly the main question is anyway...

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***