C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 12:46 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Look at the leather on drivers seat and the c7 z06 is just 1 day old.
Must have been the 400 lb. transport guy when he pulled it off the trailer.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:09 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, there is definitely a tiny bit of 'bunching' going on there.
I suppose spending an extra $80k - $100k+ more (what one would have to spend on a Porsche model that can beat (or even just match) the overall performance capabilities of a Corvette Z06) simply to get some seat covers that fit more tightly is a logical alternative.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:33 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I suppose spending an extra $80k - $100k+ more (what one would have to spend on a Porsche model that can beat (or even just match) the overall performance capabilities of a Corvette Z06) simply to get some seat covers that fit more tightly is a logical alternative.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:28 AM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
I hope you have a deposit on the RS long ago, chances of getting one are slim to none .
My issue is not the allocation, my issue is that no news on the RS until now. Im hoping that the RS will get a 4.0 engine with at least 520 or 530HP and a weight reduction of at least 100lbs. If they keep the 3.8 in it I think I will pass and go with the C7 Z06. Hopefully Breathless would have figured out a race oil cooler system for the C7 Z06 by then.
Another car Im considering is the coming Viper ACR. That is going to be fun as Dodge is looking at slapping a SC on the V10 to push the HP war to the next level.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:11 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I'll probably get flak for this, but I think the best car in the lineup for track duty is a C7 1LT FE4 Z51 with a few small upgrades (oil cooler, square wheel/tires?, etc.). It is easier to make a lower HP car bullet-proof for track., and 500HP with simple headers is more than enough for scary end-of-front-straightway turns in my local tracks.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:29 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

When your new $100k Porsche has 300hp less than the new Z06.. I guess about the only thing you can do to make yourself feel better is take pictures of a seat pad. LMAO!!

You should take a picture of the Z06 taillights. Its the view you will most commonly see.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The most useful purpose of this thread is to help people who never owned a Porsche tell people who don't like them that they are narrow minded, fanboys.
S.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 AM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 85 Posts

Default an actual qualified opinion

As someone who just traded in a 2013 911 turbo S that i traded a 2008 z06 in on at pruchase . i can offer the following " personal " opinion .

First off the Porsche 911 turbo S is an amazing car with incredible, reliable performance and a very solid and noticable build quality . the thing is soild as a tank . anyone who says the new Z06 will beat the turbo in every way is just being silly and probably ignorant . What porsche manages to do with ( in my car ) just 530h.p. and a seven speed transmission is amazing . 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, reliable quarter mile times in the high tens and the thing is it really does it ! not like the ZR-1 i have now which has 108 more horsepower but cant get it to the ground in first or second gear without going up in smoke . Passing someone on the highway in the turbo was an experience !. Putting the car in launch mode and holding gas pedal to the floor and letting it rip was amazing and something i have never come close to experiencing in the well over twenty corvettes i have owned , and i have raced every one of them . The PDK transmission is incredible when set in sport plus but realistically not something you can use on the street at all and i never road race my cars .

Exclusivity is another concern when paying this kind of money for a car . where i live there are already four C7s on just " my block !" and i cant go more then a half an hour without seeing one on the road and they just came out last year , can you imagine in a few more years .

ok all that said i traded in my 911 on a zr-1 which i am trading in on a c7 z06 this month and the main reason for me , is that i just did not enjoy the porsche , almost dreaded driving it . It was incredibly uncomfortable to me and my car had the " comfort seats " which were the worst i ever sat in . The ride is also amazingly stiff and the steering and brakes so quick it makes an incredible car to drive on a race track a bit of a hand ful to drive on the street . I also did not personally appreciate the exterior styling of the car as much as i do a corvette and same goes for interior styling compared to the C-7 .

When i took delivery of the ZR-1 i could not believe how comfortable the car was and i enjoy every minute i am driving this car . I dont enjoy not being able to use the power it has , you dont have that problem with the porsche it just bites and goes every single time .

bottom line for me : Porsche is a great car but for me no fun to drive and thats whats its all about " for me " . Is the leather of higher quality , who knows , who cares i am not a tailor .

I wouldnt hesitate to buy another Porsche if they soften them up a little bit and i have been told the new 991 turbo S is a bit more comfortable but at twice the money of the new Z06 it just doesnt make sense . Its well known that Porsche has some of the highest if not the highest per dollar profit margins of most any manufacturer but i dont see them getting any more of my money anytime soon . .

i will warn z06 owners if you find yourself lined up with a newer turbo S you better make sure your tires are warm cause hes just gonna take off .
Old 12-06-2014, 10:24 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

The most useful purpose of this thread is to help people who never owned a Porsche tell people who don't like them that they are narrow minded, fanboys.
Excellent condensing of 800 plus tedious posts.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:39 AM
malmasri
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
My issue is not the allocation, my issue is that no news on the RS until now. Im hoping that the RS will get a 4.0 engine with at least 520 or 530HP and a weight reduction of at least 100lbs. If they keep the 3.8 in it I think I will pass and go with the C7 Z06. Hopefully Breathless would have figured out a race oil cooler system for the C7 Z06 by then.
Another car Im considering is the coming Viper ACR. That is going to be fun as Dodge is looking at slapping a SC on the V10 to push the HP war to the next level.
Yes it will be a 4.0 with slightly over 500 Hp. PDK only as you expect. The GT3 has the bar so high they can not pull it off with anything less. Expect Prod by April or so next year as a 2016 MY. Not likely they will make any in 2016.
Images and some speculated specs below
http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/7...hread-177.html

Last edited by malmasri; 12-06-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-06-2014, 10:52 AM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hardhattg
As someone who just traded in a 2013 911 turbo S that i traded a 2008 z06 in on at pruchase . i can offer the following " personal " opinion .

First off the Porsche 911 turbo S is an amazing car with incredible, reliable performance and a very solid and noticable build quality . the thing is soild as a tank . anyone who says the new Z06 will beat the turbo in every way is just being silly and probably ignorant . What porsche manages to do with ( in my car ) just 530h.p. and a seven speed transmission is amazing . 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, reliable quarter mile times in the high tens and the thing is it really does it ! not like the ZR-1 i have now which has 108 more horsepower but cant get it to the ground in first or second gear without going up in smoke . Passing someone on the highway in the turbo was an experience !. Putting the car in launch mode and holding gas pedal to the floor and letting it rip was amazing and something i have never come close to experiencing in the well over twenty corvettes i have owned , and i have raced every one of them . The PDK transmission is incredible when set in sport plus but realistically not something you can use on the street at all and i never road race my cars .

Exclusivity is another concern when paying this kind of money for a car . where i live there are already four C7s on just " my block !" and i cant go more then a half an hour without seeing one on the road and they just came out last year , can you imagine in a few more years .

ok all that said i traded in my 911 on a zr-1 which i am trading in on a c7 z06 this month and the main reason for me , is that i just did not enjoy the porsche , almost dreaded driving it . It was incredibly uncomfortable to me and my car had the " comfort seats " which were the worst i ever sat in . The ride is also amazingly stiff and the steering and brakes so quick it makes an incredible car to drive on a race track a bit of a hand ful to drive on the street . I also did not personally appreciate the exterior styling of the car as much as i do a corvette and same goes for interior styling compared to the C-7 .

When i took delivery of the ZR-1 i could not believe how comfortable the car was and i enjoy every minute i am driving this car . I dont enjoy not being able to use the power it has , you dont have that problem with the porsche it just bites and goes every single time .

bottom line for me : Porsche is a great car but for me no fun to drive and thats whats its all about " for me " . Is the leather of higher quality , who knows , who cares i am not a tailor .

I wouldnt hesitate to buy another Porsche if they soften them up a little bit and i have been told the new 991 turbo S is a bit more comfortable but at twice the money of the new Z06 it just doesnt make sense . Its well known that Porsche has some of the highest if not the highest per dollar profit margins of most any manufacturer but i dont see them getting any more of my money anytime soon . .

i will warn z06 owners if you find yourself lined up with a newer turbo S you better make sure your tires are warm cause hes just gonna take off .
I have older 2007 997.1 turbo and while the ride is a bit on the firm side even on touring setting its not really that bad. The car handles great, brakes great even with the non ceramic brake option.
The car is very quick as you said it puts the power to the ground so well and launches are insane if you build up the boost first .
With a lot less hp then the z06 has you can get similar numbers again because you can put the power to the ground so well.
I find interior ,exterior, paint pretty much everything to be top quality.
Fact only thing can fault on the car is how much they cost new but I paid in the high 70s for my car low 70s if you count the dollar difference between US and Canada . It had very low like 12,000 miles on it and came with aftermarket warranty as well. Is has been reliable so far not needing anything but its not a daily driver.
I like the looks they are classic to me and get a lot of compliments about the looks of the car. The 911 turbos look way more aggressive then the plain jane 911 non turbos.

I also don't like the factory exhaust sound its very tame . A exhaust upgrade is very pricey also around 4000 bucks. This is just catback with cat converters . Headers are around 1000 bucks. You can also gain fair bit of power from a tune. So can get to S power levels for around a 1000 bucks. The car is similar in weight to the new z06 .
I don't see a lot of either the c7 or the 911 turbo where I currently live. See quite a bit of lower model Porsche but not that many 911 turbos. C7 will likely get more common as time goes by and they become cheap from depreciation.

I intend to permanently keep a 911 turbo in my stable and likely will work my way up to newer model as time goes by.
I do intend though to add a c7 z06 into my stable probably after a couple of years as they will go thru heavy depreciation . This is what did on my 2008 z06 that sold year or so back.

The 2008 z06 was a great car. Interior quality was not too bad but nowhere near my 911 turbo level. Not a huge deal to me though. The c7 z06 is a lot better I am sure. But was sick of driving manuals where currently live. Lots of steep hills, lights and sometimes heavy traffic.
Glad GM is now offering both full manual and auto option on the new z06. And removable roof and vert.

I think a lot of guys that say they don't like Porsche should go drive some of them. They might change their minds after living with one for awhile. I do also think that Porsche is on cheap drugs on their prices for them new. But they do depreciate hard especially the first couple of years like most all cars do.

The GT3 is also another really cool model . I so far haven't tracked any of my cars but would consider a used GT3 maybe in the future if was going to start tracking them. I do some drag racing as well but not with my high end sports cars.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

got supercharged Stingray
on road courses coolant gets real hot especially in traffic and oil but never got the over heat message.. when i catch up to slows car I up shift to 4th lower rpms cools engine till i can get passed..
Old 12-06-2014, 03:26 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also curious about the heat soak with the supercharger.I'm a big track rat and love taking my Z, Vipers, even Karts on the track all the time. Can't wait to hear reports how the car is on a 25 minute hard session on the track..
Old 12-07-2014, 02:12 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
When your new $100k Porsche has 300hp less than the new Z06.. I guess about the only thing you can do to make yourself feel better is take pictures of a seat pad. LMAO!!

You should take a picture of the Z06 taillights. Its the view you will most commonly see.
BTW is 250 not 300.

Last edited by TARANTULA; 12-07-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:15 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

It was for me
Old 12-07-2014, 03:19 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Gee, let's see. A Cayman GTS/PDK with some nice options for 90 grand, a Turbo S for around 200 grand, a GT3 for 150 ish, a Stingray for 60/70 ish or Z06 for 85, tricked out Z06/Z07 105/110. What's to talk about ? One word. Ego. Porsche "feel" ?!?!?!?!? What about C7 "feel" ? ( we're not talking about old days ride and handling. We're talking about modern day highly dialed in developed corvette feel). What about looks. Stingray/Z06 striking head turning beautiful exotic yet still corvette looks vs a homely hunchback turtle "iconic" look. Last but not least, price. TWICE as much for a Porsche. My conclusion : Porsche is not better, just different at twice the price. I had a 996 TT for 5 years( while also having a tricked out C5 and C6). I've had my last Porsche. Been there done that. My next fun car will be a 2016 C7 Z06 A8 coupe.
That's it. Ego. Spot on analysis! My " Hunchbacked "Cayman S parked, mind you, stops people in there tracks as well as driving through parking lots, as seen by me this morning. IMO only some of the C7 styling is head turing. I've evolved into fit and finish being as important as performance as I only street drive mine. The C7 anything, is no exotic or for that matter not even iconic Corvette. Very "global" in its root appearance. The new P-cars are a modern interpretation of a classic car line. Another point I'd like to bring up is the Dealers lack of common sense to not allow current and former Corvette owners ,as was myself, a test drive of a new model. No way am I going to spend $75 K plus on a vehicle I can not drive. I was allowed to drive 3 981 models and a 911 ,all NEW, to make an educated buying decision. Last year I was allowed to test drive my Mercedes before agreeing to the purchase. Come on Chevy, at least have one C7 on your lots to test drive.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:30 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The point is not just the bunching of the seat surface. Makes you wonder what else could be "bunching" within the same vehicle lineup. It's like having a house built. If you find something a bit off during the building process you need to see if there is "bunching" further down the line to completion. My "bunching" was the perceived reliability, by TOO many,including perspective buyers in the used market, of my C6Z's engine.

Last edited by QUAKEJAKE; 12-07-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 12-07-2014, 03:32 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

TARANTULA, Quackjak, etc. Why not go back to your own forums and make comments about corvettes there. That way I will not have to read them. BTW I never post or read your forums. I have done the Porsche thing and was underwhelmed. I appreciated their attention to detail but their myopic view of what a sports car should be is about 40 years dated.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:15 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a boosted 996TT that was quick as ****.

It's now sold and I can't wait to get myself a C7 Z06. That car is a beast!

911TTs are awesome cars. But sooner or later, Porsche is gonna need to make choices. The way the HP is going, porsche won't be able to compete with the other brands.

At one point in time, when you had a 911TT, you were the big dog. Not anymore. I don't know how long is Porsche gonna keep the H6 engines, but that's the bottleneck at this point.

Unless a backseat is needed, I can't believe anyone is buying a base 911 for 100k$ instead of a Z06.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Z06_4U2NV
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

C&D 2014 911 Turbo S review: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-tested-review

C&D 2015 Z06 review: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ll-test-review

911 beats in 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

I don't track and prefer 0-60 stoplight take offs = many of the track and high speed features wouldn't excite me. Also, the worst part of a Corvette (for me) is the Chevy dealer. That said, I have a 2014 Z51 vert and will be trading it in for a 2015/16 Z06 vert as I cannot justify an additional $85K+ for the 911 Turbo S. As for my 0-60 stoplight fix...probably getting a Tesla Model S P85D to SILENTLY satisfy that craving

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***