C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
That's it. Ego. Spot on analysis! My " Hunchbacked "Cayman S parked, mind you, stops people in there tracks as well as driving through parking lots, as seen by me this morning. IMO only some of the C7 styling is head turing. I've evolved into fit and finish being as important as performance as I only street drive mine. The C7 anything, is no exotic or for that matter not even iconic Corvette. Very "global" in its root appearance. The new P-cars are a modern interpretation of a classic car line. Another point I'd like to bring up is the Dealers lack of common sense to not allow current and former Corvette owners ,as was myself, a test drive of a new model. No way am I going to spend $75 K plus on a vehicle I can not drive. I was allowed to drive 3 981 models and a 911 ,all NEW, to make an educated buying decision. Last year I was allowed to test drive my Mercedes before agreeing to the purchase. Come on Chevy, at least have one C7 on your lots to test drive.

If you lived in south fl, or Cali. Nobody would evan notice it. My 69 convertable chevelle SS got more looks than most cars around here. People left notes on it asking if I would sell it! Just don't try to go around a corner in it fast!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:04 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
The C7 anything, is no exotic
True.
But then again, neither is a Cayman/Boxster, 'S' model or otherwise LOL.

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
If you lived in south fl, or Cali. Nobody would evan notice it. My 69 convertable chevelle SS got more looks than most cars around here. People left notes on it asking if I would sell it!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:56 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Here's a big reason why to own the P car over a vette if you life where it snows: In the Midwest where it snows a lot the P car with its all wheel drive can be drive year freaking round with snow tires, and I see guys doing it a lot the last several years That's my plan in a year or two, get a 2012/13 turbo S P car, drive it all *%*$)_% year rain, snow or shine, rip of high 10 second passes at the dragstrip and kick some azz at the road race track in the spring an fall, and have a smile on my face year round, while having a Supervette or my current 600+ HP 2009 Viper in my garage, along with my currently owned 565 ci inch Dart engine, with 250 N20 dual shot, 1000 HP, cherry mint, candy apple red. 1967 Camaro SS, for straight line insanity and nice weekend weather fun.

HONESTLY, I hate WINTER with a passion and the P Car can really help pass winter for a hard core car guy like me, given the fact that is true super car and can even be driven in the snow when the C7 Z vette can't with it rear wheel drive, lack of snow tires, and body being to low to the ground (just saying)!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-08-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:13 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts
Default C7 ZO6 OVERHEATING ISSUES and TRACK USE

After reading tonight, I think it's time to start this thread. Please direct your comments toward prospective buyers who would primarily track the car.....and the delimma between waiting for more data on the problems, vs hoping for a price drop off msrp.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:26 AM
BaDiNfLuEnCe706
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing View Post
With the OE calibration we did experience the same thing... The timing tables are EXTREMELY conservative and the ECU will pull timing for almost any situation. I am waiting for owners to complain about "tip in" as the ECU pulls a massive amount of timing when slightly touching the gas pedal.

All that being said, MOST of the loss of power can be addressed in the ECU.. IAT2 temps are actually quite impressive, even after multiple pulls on the chassis dyno. We will get on the highway in the next couple of days and make some back to back "multi gear" runs for comparison sake.

So far seems like a restrictive stock tune.. Not an actual cooling issue
Old 12-08-2014, 07:58 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I wonder if the conservative factory tune has anything to do with being at the rated limit of the 7 speed transmission?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:37 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BaDiNfLuEnCe706
Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing View Post
With the OE calibration we did experience the same thing... The timing tables are EXTREMELY conservative and the ECU will pull timing for almost any situation. I am waiting for owners to complain about "tip in" as the ECU pulls a massive amount of timing when slightly touching the gas pedal.

All that being said, MOST of the loss of power can be addressed in the ECU.. IAT2 temps are actually quite impressive, even after multiple pulls on the chassis dyno. We will get on the highway in the next couple of days and make some back to back "multi gear" runs for comparison sake.

So far seems like a restrictive stock tune.. Not an actual cooling issue
While that may explain the power drop off it does not explain the actual over temp issues that were experienced during the RA testing.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

the actual over temp issues that were experienced during the RA testing.
But do we know what the actual temps were? Or do we only know that the ecu was pulling power? Way too much speculation at this point. That is one thing the forum does well is speculate.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
That is one thing the forum does well is speculate.
That's putting it politely.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:38 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
But do we know what the actual temps were? Or do we only know that the ecu was pulling power? Way too much speculation at this point. That is one thing the forum does well is speculate.
It was confirmed from Randy Post that he got an actual high oil temp warning.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 AM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
That's putting it politely.
I believe that Vengeance post that "MOST of the loss of power can be addressed in the ECU" is indicative of this problem The word "most" is my only concern since the IAT2 Temps were low, so that's not the issue. So what is contributing to the rest? We will see when Ron at Vengeance tests on the street this week!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

It would be most helpful to have some details with real-world experience, such as track, date, ambient temperatures, temperatures (oil, water, even IATs), and lap times.

I am happy to torture test at MotorSport Ranch - it is pretty hard on my C6Z.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:15 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I wrong? there have been two reports of overheating, one on an A8 test car with an oil overheat issue that had been run several times that day. The second being an issue on a new customer's M7 car that had just 700 miles on it where he saw some decrease in power? Have there been other reports of overheating as well? Do two reports in two completely different scenarios make a system wide "problem" with the car? Have there been other reports that I missed?
Old 12-08-2014, 12:20 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dlparsons
Am I wrong? there have been two reports of overheating, one on an A8 test car with an oil overheat issue that had been run several times that day. The second being an issue on a new customer's M7 car that had just 700 miles on it where he saw some decrease in power? Have there been other reports of overheating as well? Do two reports in two completely different scenarios make a system wide "problem" with the car? Have there been other reports that I missed?
I hope that the jury is still out on this. We still need a larger sample size. Either way, I am sure that this issue will be addressed.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:55 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I hope that the jury is still out on this. We still need a larger sample size. Either way, I am sure that this issue will be addressed.
Thanks for the input. Next logical question would be whether or not the manufacturer has provided a remedy for similar situations in the past.....comments?

My feeling is there is no way in hell they are going too address this due to CAFE standards....which means z06 owners who hit willow springs, in the desert southwest, (and that will be a lot) are going to have very limited track time..
Old 12-08-2014, 01:10 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC7
Thanks for the input. Next logical question would be whether or not the manufacturer has provided a remedy for similar situations in the past.....comments?

My feeling is there is no way in hell they are going too address this due to CAFE standards....which means z06 owners who hit willow springs, in the desert southwest, (and that will be a lot) are going to have very limited track time..
Maybe GM forgot to put the second key in the goodie bag.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:15 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the real issue with all this is the fact that we now see claims that the car is best at a glory lap vs a full session with the info provided so far. Now here is my issue with the info. 1. if you wanted a pure track car why by a FI car? Heat soak is nothing new and people who track only these cars dont care much about warranties. 2. If you dont track the car much I dont seeing it running into power loss situations on the street.
I think people are more ticked of that you need to void the warranty and tune it to be able to do what the car should be able to do... What we dont know is how strong is the lt4? Is it strong enough to void the warranty without concern? Will GM update the software to remedy this? If they do will if be applied to the 15's or the next model year and so on..
I have my car sitting at the dealer and I still am going to take it but I would be really mad if the 16's addressed this issue and I voided my warranty to do it

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 12-10-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

DLC7,

I think you may be on to something here. I would prefer to pay the GGT and have a car that performs rather than save $1500 on a car that won't perform.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:24 PM
mgrenwic
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Can someone clarify what the actual issue is for me?

So it is not heat-soak?
Is the car just warming up and the hotter is gets the more and more conservative the computer gets? It's pulling timing with temp increases?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 02:10 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrenwic
Can someone clarify what the actual issue is for me?

So it is not heat-soak?
Is the car just warming up and the hotter is gets the more and more conservative the computer gets? It's pulling timing with temp increases?

Thanks
That's what it seems, but we don't know for sure as nobody has logged IATs on the track, just on the dyno. On the dyno the IATs are staying low, so the assumption is that as oil/coolant temps rise the car neuters itself. We'll know more as more people run the cars and more testing is done.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***