C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:39 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveN007
If that is the answer, then how could GM possibly miss it? They are specific about oil for the track, I never used specific fluids in my Porsches. (I tried different brake fluid...but didn't feel difference.)

Hopefully it actually helps.
Its just something used by many a track day/street car for years to do a 80/20 with water wetter. From a few here that have done it the outcome was good. As for GM, who knows?
Old 05-29-2015, 04:33 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
Its just something used by many a track day/street car for years to do a 80/20 with water wetter. From a few here that have done it the outcome was good. As for GM, who knows?
I know that the outcome associated from moving from D to M in the A8 is definitive because you can test in back-to-back sessions and see the results and quantify them.

I'd like to see the back to back/side by side results of using water wetter. Again, I am hopeful...but skeptical.

There are so many variables.

My concern would be that GM has a knee jerk reaction to blame the victim if they can point to anything that is not in the manual.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Earth to DerStig..... BMW's are slow. It's easier to stay cool when you are slow. When is the last time a BMW had elite speed? The E46 M3 CSL with 3xx hp?

Porsche's also don't run a lot of hp, granted their cooling is much better even for their turbo applications.

There is a huge aftermarket for BMW and Porsche suspension so they can try and catch the Corvette's. You can't compare directly until they actually make something as fast. More speed = more potential issues.
This x 1,000.

It's just hilarious when guys talk about cars with literally fractions of the power of a C7 Z06 and then talk "apples to apples". First, show me a competing car with either/both 650 hp / 650 lb.ft. Then show me that competing car's track performance. Finally, tell me what the competing car costs.

The Nurburgring has a well deserved reputation for being the most difficult track in the world. At nearly 12.9 miles in length a single lap of this thing in anger represents dozens of laps at lesser tracks. What would some here say when the Z07 comes off a warm up and lays down a Ring time that let's just say will get their undivided attention? All with no cooling issues?

Sit tight: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-the-c7.html
Old 05-29-2015, 07:06 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default "up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit"

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1

Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Thank You!

Originally Posted by Bwright
This x 1,000.

It's just hilarious when guys talk about cars with literally fractions of the power of a C7 Z06 and then talk "apples to apples". First, show me a competing car with either/both 650 hp / 650 lb.ft. Then show me that competing car's track performance. Finally, tell me what the competing car costs.

The Nurburgring has a well deserved reputation for being the most difficult track in the world. At nearly 12.9 miles in length a single lap of this thing in anger represents dozens of laps at lesser tracks. What would some here say when the Z07 comes off a warm up and lays down a Ring time that let's just say will get their undivided attention? All with no cooling issues?

Sit tight: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-the-c7.html
Exactly what I was trolling around looking for again today! Looks like the C7 Z06 contingent is good to go now.
(But in no way did I expect to find in here though.)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-29-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:07 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveN007
I know that the outcome associated from moving from D to M in the A8 is definitive because you can test in back-to-back sessions and see the results and quantify them.

I'd like to see the back to back/side by side results of using water wetter. Again, I am hopeful...but skeptical.

There are so many variables.

My concern would be that GM has a knee jerk reaction to blame the victim if they can point to anything that is not in the manual.
Its such an easy thing to do running 80/20 and WW. You should see results for sure and its just an all round leg up for your car at the track. I wouldnt worry about any issues from GM with just running less anti freeze unless you plan on being in the -15 or more any time soon.

Last edited by GP1224; 05-30-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 PM
KraZ
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You get what you pay for, these are two very different cars and ahould not be compared. (Turbo S)

1. Active aero
2. AWD (no wheelspin)
3. 4 wheel steering
4. Rear engine (no driveshaft power loss and cool cabin)
5. Highest quality materials and craftsmanship
6. Better fuel efficiency
7. A true dual clutch trans. With no delay after paddle is pulled.

Not to mention that with a smaller engine and less hp, it has been clocked to 60 in 2.6 sec. With 10.8 quarters [U]consistently[U].

This is the definition of superior engineering and thus the reason for its price. Ive seen it kill Aventadors, Zr1s, Italias, vipers, GTRs etc...

Last edited by KraZ; 06-02-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 PM
BruZe06
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 55 Posts

After owning 2 'Vettes, 2 Camaros, a few rice rockets, 2 911's, a modded 950HP Ford GT, 3 Ferraris, a modded Nissan GT-R, a modded Lotus, a modded Viper ACR and a Viper TA, I wanted to buy a C7Z but couldn't find the deal I wanted so I bought another 911 instead, this time a used C2S Cab, for less than cost of a new Z. As the depreciation on the 991 911 C2S cab has already been absorbed by the first owner and knowing the street prices of the C7Z will drop quite a bit in the coming months. So to answer OP's question, I'd buy whichever car that fits my mood and budget, and at the right price point at the time of purchase. If I could find a new 991 GT3 at MSRP, I would have bought that but they are all sold out. BTW to my eyes, the 911 looks better, especially the rear and rear quarter views. However I may still come back to the brand in '16 if the stars aligned. Then I've been reading about the '16 Mazda Miata with all of its 155 HP. Well that car is more tempting to me now than a 650 HP Z. Spec Miata racing series, here I come.... I like car and that's my lifestyle, and if you do too, why just stick to one brand and restrict your lifestyle?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:38 AM
therealviper
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZ
You get what you pay for, these are two very different cars and ahould not be compared. (Turbo S)

1. Active aero
2. AWD (no wheelspin)
3. 4 wheel steering

Not to mention that with a smaller engine and less hp, it has been clocked to 60 in 2.6 sec. With 10.8 quarters [U]consistently[U].

This is the definition of superior engineering and thus the reason for its price. Ive seen it kill Aventadors, Zr1s, Italias, vipers, GTRs etc...
And for all that money difference, you can't fit 2 sets of golf clubs in it, nor go on a trip for a week, and if it breaks down anywhere .... in the middle of nowhere , good luck on a repair job, that does not cost you an arm and leg.... if there is any one to repair it... in Kansas or Nebraska or Montana ...

Different strokes for different folks.. but comparing something that cost 75% to100% more... is no comparison to start with... and an absurd idea to start with, like comparing a Volkswagen Rabbit to a Z28....

And by the way it does not have better fuel efficiency....

And it does not have 50/50 weight distribution because of the rear engine.

The Vette is a mid front engine car vs a rear engine car....

The Porsche is a great car... but really , double the price and you want to compare... and given equal drivers... their lap time will be about the same....

In fact the Mags say, that only a 916 Porsche or McLaren at 1 million will be noticeably faster....

And the cars you list that it's killed... there are Videos of the Z07, killing them also.... and in lap times.

And people are racing their Z07s with the A/C on...... Yes , it needs some work on cooling for the race track... but that will be in worst case a 3K fix( and by 3rd release free or sooner)..... and for another 3K, another 100 HP.... and for 17K, the cooling is fixed and its 800-900 Hp from Calloway with a warranty. See what it cost to do that to a Porsche...lol

And its American made, employing Americans..... And unlike the Porsche does not get an 18% export rebate... see what the price is in Germany with the 18% value added tax! Much higher...

Regards,

Viper
Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 AM
garychurch
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

People buy what they want, need or like. Who cares why. If the C7 was the most outstanding car on the plant that met everyone's need, it would be the only car people would buy. No other manufacturers would survive. One car manufacturer (Corveete) would sell millions of cars in a one car market and price accordingly. You coulf have you C7 for $500'000 and a3 year wait. I like the diversity of car choices and I am very happy to see others buy Porsces, Ferraris and Vipers for whatever reason they like. Further, can you really buy a bad car today?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Lonnie65
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned many exotic cars over the years. It is great that you can own a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, Lotus, Vette, Maserati, etc and find something great in everyone of them. I am fortunate to have enjoyed owning and driving all of them. When you try to compare these cars based on how fast they are only I think you truly lose sight of what it means to be a true car enthusiast. I have a 2016 Z06 on order and I'm sure I will love it as I do all my cars. The one thing I will guarantee you is, I will not enjoy brining it in for service. In no way will anyone on this forum convince me that a Chevy dealer will treat me like a Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, Maserati, McLaren etc dealer will!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:02 AM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Simple question. Any Porsche model except spyder. Am I missing anything? Aside from name of the Porsche vs the Chevy, it seems like Z06 will destroy every Porsche model out there, including turbo S in every department. Maybe not so much in interior, but who buys these cars for the soft leather.
First, "destroy" is a bit of a stretch.

Why would anyone? Because not everyone is a magazine/bench racer. At this level, driving skill is going to trump the couple tenths that you might see in a magazine. When purchasing an expensive car (or more expensive car) it usually comes down to wallet size and personal taste.

For me, I like the looks of the Corvette much more than the 911, and if I wanted to spend the $$$ for a GT3RS or TT, I'd seriously be trying to stretch for a Ferrari 458 (or McLaren 650S or Lamborghini Huracan).

(edit - just noticed - who revived this old thread)

Last edited by rbarta; 06-03-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 AM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

As someone who has owned 5 Porsche's and sold my 2011 Twin Turbo S, my view is as follows.

The "facia" is the same in all Porsche's. As a result every time I buy a new one and get into the drivers seat, I don't "feel" like I am in a new car, which detracts from the experience.

The left hand key remains as a tradition from the days when drivers ran to their cars and started the engines (the left side made it easier to start the car quickly), but is a pain in the rear compared to keyless starts.

The Porsche Turbo S is a rocket ship, given four wheel drive and even the slightest mods to increase power. However, it is not engaging, but simply a car that you press the throttle and whooom, you feel like you are in an elevator whose cables broke. This is its redeeming feature, but inadequate for those who want to be "engaged" in the driving experience.

The PDK transmission is superior to the Z06 but still has some shifting quirks, a bit jerky sometimes and not always choosing the correct gear (but not frequent and not usually disruptive)

The exhaust "note" on the Porsche TS is pathetic and even with a Tubi exhaust, barely provides a sound worth mentioning.

Overall, the Porsche is a technological masterpiece without a soul. It is purposeful and "cold", designed to achieve specific objectives. You cannot fault the workmanship or heritage, but , say compared to a Ferrari, it lacks that "visceral feel" that is almost indescribable but differentiates excitement from the mundane. IMO , the Z06 provides more engagement, and at least has an exhaust note worth mentioning. Best
Old 06-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZ

1. Active aero
2. AWD (no wheelspin)
3. 4 wheel steering

I am guessing that it was the Porsche Turbo’s “superior engineering” that led to its losing to a Camaro Z/28 around VIR in Car and Driver’s latest Lightning Lap test. With a lap time of 2:51.2 the $198,380 991 Turbo S lost to the $75,000 Camaro (2:50.9) which boasted not a single one of the things you cited as evidence of the Porsche’s superiority. This despite the Porsche costing literally 2.6x what the Camaro cost.

I am just pleased to see that the 991 Turbo S in that test actually made it through as the last two Turbos I have seen tested by magazines failed to complete the test due to mechanical breakdowns (Car and Driver test where the turbos failed during a Lightning Lap event) and Motor Trend where the same thing happened in a battle against the C6 ZR1. In that last test where the two cars were driven by Lemans winner Justin Bell the 3.6 second (not a typo) margin of victory for the ZR1 around Willow Springs was so devastating that Bell remarked that, “That's not even the same class of car.”

The most fundamental concept every auto enthusiast learns is that speed costs money. As such, I do not think “superior engineering” means what you think it does.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:18 AM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default both very different.....Own both" love" both...

I did not read all of the posts, however I bet that I am not the only one fortunate enough to have BOTH in the garage.
Like our kids, for those who have a gaggle of them running around, you love them equally even though they usually have quite different personalities.

I must say that I may be getting ready to "adopt" some time in the future, now that this baby will be hitting the streets.

http://www.caranddriver.com/porsche/cayman-gt4

Do I hear the "Mid-engine" folks taking a walk on the wild side and researching this little beast?...hey, fully equipped runs about the same as your new Z06 Talk about bang for the buck!

I think that it will be the best of both worlds, but hey, as always, people will choose what makes them feel good.
PS: Both cars have been "Shown and Shined"... and trophied. They also have been rallied, auto crossed and HPDE days, so I know their personalities and can vouch for both.

PPS: Daily drivers... ATS4/3.6L Mine... RAV4LTD..hers when its raining or snowing, otherwise its her six speed silver 'Croc

Just my .02

Last edited by scootguy58; 06-03-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added thoughts
Old 06-03-2015, 02:52 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

^ I wish I could secure a 981C GT4 allocation... they're pretty much all spoken for/sold out.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:22 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

I am guessing that it was the Porsche Turbo’s “superior engineering” that led to its losing to a Camaro Z/28 around VIR in Car and Driver’s latest Lightning Lap test. With a lap time of 2:51.2 the $198,380 991 Turbo S lost to the $75,000 Camaro (2:50.9) which boasted not a single one of the things you cited as evidence of the Porsche’s superiority. This despite the Porsche costing literally 2.6x what the Camaro cost..
So now even a Camaro is better than a Turbo S.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Believe me when I say I am not being defensive. My view of the Turbo S is a great "street car" not designed for the "race track". It does ok on track but nothing like its sibling GT3RS etc. As for the street, all of what has been said is true regarding speed, stability, technology, and the "quality" of the product is virtually unsurpassed. With that said, I sold my TS because it is "boring", and I can tell you that the Z06 is much more fun to drive, whether it will outperform every Porsche or other marque or not. Yep, 3.6 seconds around Willow which is a 1.25 track for the Z06 is huge. Best

I am guessing that it was the Porsche Turbo’s “superior engineering” that led to its losing to a Camaro Z/28 around VIR in Car and Driver’s latest Lightning Lap test. With a lap time of 2:51.2 the $198,380 991 Turbo S lost to the $75,000 Camaro (2:50.9) which boasted not a single one of the things you cited as evidence of the Porsche’s superiority. This despite the Porsche costing literally 2.6x what the Camaro cost.

I am just pleased to see that the 991 Turbo S in that test actually made it through as the last two Turbos I have seen tested by magazines failed to complete the test due to mechanical breakdowns (Car and Driver test where the turbos failed during a Lightning Lap event) and Motor Trend where the same thing happened in a battle against the C6 ZR1. In that last test where the two cars were driven by Lemans winner Justin Bell the 3.6 second (not a typo) margin of victory for the ZR1 around Willow Springs was so devastating that Bell remarked that, “That's not even the same class of car.”

The most fundamental concept every auto enthusiast learns is that speed costs money. As such, I do not think “superior engineering” means what you think it does.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has their own flavor in cars. I personally feel the new Porsche with 20 inch wheels are too fragile. I love 996 and 997 gt cars. After driving many different cars on track now and owning RUF/Porsche, I just prefer front engine rear wheel drive cars. I know my friends that own porsche try to convince me to buy the same because of reliability. I see their point. The new cars just aren't for me. I do plan on adding a 997.2 RS to the stable one day
Old 06-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Kirk1450
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ZO6 overheating issues

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum but I have a 2015 Z51 and am thinking about trading up for a 2016 ZO6, but I am concerned about overheating issues I've been hearing about!
I don't plan to track the car, so I wanted to get advice and opinion!

Thanks

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***