C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 01:58 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Awesome!?

Originally Posted by RandomTask
The reason running high octane/race gas goes cooler is because of the stoich level of the fuel. Those race fuels have a lower stoich level, essentially tricking the ECU, causing you to inadvertently run rich (cooler).

Copy and paste:
Sunaco 104
Race pipe
CAI with the high flow filter, and/or ram air

Some DA to be determined!?

The car should be f'g flying under warranty for quick!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-29-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:23 PM
deeplateapex
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Good thread Gary. A member of this forum/manufacturer is producing a insulated gasket for the intercooler which would help a bit. Supplier for the cat heat shield. Inexpensive fixes: Water injection onto radiator (not into intake like megasquirt can do) Great comments about car potential: CCM brakes, balance, tires, comments on trans? Comment that ZR1 not having problems (different engine) but not plagued with overheat issues has to mean these cars can get heat management solved. Keep up the great testing/evaluation.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:07 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

And watch that dew point. Totally displacing oxygen and gunking up the works:

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/w...nt_and_re.html
Old 06-28-2015, 01:12 AM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Going slow will never cause anyone to overheat

seriously, if a given mass is propelled around a track, the one that is way faster also consume way more energy that has to be absorbed.

Try this, next time you take te M4 out, have a Z06 follow you at the same pace..... think it will overheat :blue angel:

Last track day at SPA, my good Corvette Friend showed up in a M4, a substitute in-between ZR1 and waiting for the new C7 Z06....
After 4 hours he left disappointed, and we had the track rented for two days.........
15 hour travel down... and he left 4 hours into the track session.....new C7 Z06 is coming his way....

That said, someone at Corvette should step up and do something, its not acceptable that a 100 k car should overheat, loose power steering etc.
I am on hold with my 2016 car until someone in GM/Corvette step up and do a design change
Comparing apples to oranges since the Corvette is a true two seat sports car, but I can assure you the M4 (setup properly) is not slow on track in the hands of a good driver.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:08 AM
dasvolk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys I hate to say this because I know this will hurt but sell your cars if you wanna track em. Sell them to someone who will take it to a Cars & Coffee - that's all they're good for. I ran over a Z06/7 at Laguna today in my Viper like a hunter-killer crushing skulls.. it wasn't even a consideration. I feel bad because the Vette owner really cared and didn't seem to realize 305F was an incredibly risky temp for oil. If I owned one of these cars I'd be hacking holes in the hood, and adding fans everywhere conceivable.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:18 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by dasvolk
Sorry guys I hate to say this because I know this will hurt but sell your cars if you wanna track em. Sell them to someone who will take it to a Cars & Coffee - that's all they're good for. I ran over a Z06/7 at Laguna today in my Viper like a hunter-killer crushing skulls.. it wasn't even a consideration. I feel bad because the Vette owner really cared and didn't seem to realize 305F was an incredibly risky temp for oil. If I owned one of these cars I'd be hacking holes in the hood, and adding fans everywhere conceivable.
That is harsh!

The Z07's carbon ceramic brakes are worlds better than Viper's steel setup.
The Z06's ABS system is up there with the best.
I much prefer the aluminum transaxle Corvette frame.
The shocks in the Z06 are also world better.

I'll concede that the Viper is a more robust track car but when the Z06 is not overheating or breaking down it's actually quite nice.

If we don't find a fix I will agree that it's not a track car. I'd give it some time though so that all the R&D comes out.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:08 AM
dasvolk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
That is harsh!

The Z07's carbon ceramic brakes are worlds better than Viper's steel setup.
The Z06's ABS system is up there with the best.
I much prefer the aluminum transaxle Corvette frame.
The shocks in the Z06 are also world better.

I'll concede that the Viper is a more robust track car but when the Z06 is not overheating or breaking down it's actually quite nice.

If we don't find a fix I will agree that it's not a track car. I'd give it some time though so that all the R&D comes out.
I'd like to see a fix, but so far I've not seen anything but coolant blowing out and dangerously high oil temps. I hope for everyone's sake they do have some sort of solution, I almost feel like I'd want some sort of aftermarket cooling setup if I owned one.

Last edited by dasvolk; 06-28-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:55 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Excuse me!

I conveyed that dew point displaces oxygen, which, is wrong. A tuner I new a ways back told me that, but, it is not true.
BUT, more importantly I have found out what happens to dew point when it is compressed:

While nitrogen and oxygen exist in stable concentrations, the concentration of water vapor is highly variable and must be measured to be determined.

3. What is the effect of pressure on dew
point?
Increasing the pressure of a gas increases the dew point
temperature of the gas. Consider an example of air at
atmospheric pressure of 1013.3 mbar with a dew point
temperature of -10 °C (14 °F). From the table above,
the partial pressure of water vapor (designated by the
symbol “e”) is 2.8 mbar. If this air is compressed and the
total pressure is doubled to 2026.6 mbar, then according
to Dalton’s law, the partial pressure of water vapor, e,
is also doubled to the value of 5.6 mbar. The dew point
temperature corresponding to 5.6 mbar is approximately
-1 °C (30 °F), so it is clear that increasing the pressure
of the air has also increased the dew point temperature
of the air.

http://www.vaisala.com/Vaisala%20Doc...N-B-LOW-v1.pdf

Anyway, no matter what watch that weather guys!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-29-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

You guys are way above my grade level of knowledge but some of you OK most of you are very impressive with your passion and knowledge!!!

Good information!!!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts
Default I want some communication from GM!! Overheating issue

I bought a serious car (A8 Z06/07)and paid serious $ for it BECAUSE it was reasonable to expect this, "mega performance TRACK car", to perform on a track without overheating!! To be clear, we all know that this is sold as a TRACK-able street car, not a full fledged track-only car. Did I miss the disclaimer,
"Not to be driven agressive on road course in abient temps above 80 degrees."?? My owners manual has pages detailing Track set up. My car has a total of 6 selectable TRACK modes, right? It is clear that GM has a problem here that needs a solution. To rely on the aftermarket to try and solve this problem is just WRONG, as GM has the best of the best within their engineering dept., or do they? The WORST part is the lack of communication from GM. Totally not acceptable at this point. Don't tell me I should buy a M7 if I want to run hard on a road course, AFTER I've spent $108,000 on my A8. I waited for the A8 because of all the GM hype about this state-of-the-art quick shifting 8 speed. Does GM want lemon law claims, do they want to do buy backs? Or what? Come on we have almost 2800 Z07s out of 7000 coupes registered here on CF. People are buying the Z07 with serious carbon ceramic brakes, for what? street driving? NOT!! I'm also amazed that none of the car magazines have written anything on this? SOMEBODY TALK TO ME. I've spent over $160,000 with GM within the last 90 days, (new High Country truck) does that count for something?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-29-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:13 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

You can't be serious. According to other members, people with these cars don't go to the track with them
Old 06-29-2015, 03:15 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

I think if you can afford to spend as much as the value as a small mid western house on your cars, you can pay a race shop a couple grand to throw some extra fat coolers on your car.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:15 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Understand your concerns but this is NOT the place where you will get the answer(s) you are seeking. You need to be going through the ZONE REP for where you live and asking that individual to ELEVATE your concern to Tadge and Harlan. They are the ones who can EFFECT change, not those of us here on the CF.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:19 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

I gave him an answer. Pay a race shop to prep the car. Guarantee they will fix the overheating issues.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
I bought a serious car (A8 zZ06/07)and paid serious $ for it BECAUSE it was reasonable to expect this, "mega performance TRACK car", to perform on a track without overheating!! To be clear, we all know that this is sold as a TRACK-able street car, not a full fledged track-only car. Did I miss the disclaimer,
"Not to be driven agressive on road course in abient temps above 80 degrees."?? My owners manual has pages detailing Track set up. My car has a total of 6 selectable TRACK modes, right? It is clear that GM has a problem here that needs a solution. To rely on the aftermarket to try and solve this problem is just WRONG, as GM has the best of the best within their engineering dept., or do they? The WORST part is the lack of communication from GM. Totally not acceptable at this point. Don't tell me I should buy a M7 if I want to run hard on a road course, AFTER I've spent $108,000 on my A8. I waited for the A8 because of all the GM hype about this state-of-the-art quick shifting 8 speed. Does GM want lemon law claims, do they want to do buy backs? Or what? Come on we have almost 2800 Z07s out of 7000 coupes registered here on CF. People are buying the Z07 with serious carbon ceramic brakes, for what? street driving? NOT!! I'm also amazed that none of the car magazines have written anything on this? SOMEBODY TALK TO ME. I've spent over $160,000 with GM within the last 90 days, (new High Country truck) does that count for something?
Well to start with we have maybe 800-900 total here and even less are Z07's. Out of 8400 cars. Then less than half are A8 even less are concerned about track performance.
This why we need a tracking your car section. So this stuff that most car owners less about has a place. I drive mine in 90 degree heat and am amazed at the performance of my M7. Steel disc's are better than carbon for the street. Carbon need a warm up stop. The Z06 is an ultimate street machine out handles any car and with the big RWTQ drives away from anything that's stock. Cars that you will never see on the road or one time don't count.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 06-29-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:37 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
I gave him an answer. Pay a race shop to prep the car. Guarantee they will fix the overheating issues.
And void the warranty? What the OP is saying is the car should be without cooling issues straight out of the box.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys ever hear of boostane? My buddy uses this in his power boat. Claims it's amazing. After googling I found this forum as well

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/98556-boostane-octane-booster/

Thinking about trying it. Much cheaper than buying race fuel and people are claiming the same results.
Boostane.com

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 06-29-2015, 03:59 PM
MOS35W
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
Understand your concerns but this is NOT the place where you will get the answer(s) you are seeking. You need to be going through the ZONE REP for where you live and asking that individual to ELEVATE your concern to Tadge and Harlan. They are the ones who can EFFECT change, not those of us here on the CF.
GM (and especially those 2 fellows), have *zero* motivation to "EFFECT change". Why should they ? All the fan-boi's (with the fragile ego's, represented by their angry tirades against anyone who would dare question their decision to purchase the car), defend, deflect and deny the existence of the overheating problem (and "orange peel" paint defects).

The car (ostensibly) is showing a profit for the company. Given the numbers being in the black, why bother with the perfectionists who are demanding better ? It's almost certain Mary (and the rest of the board room) sit back and laugh "ha ha, as long as we have our defenders on Corvette Forum, we don't have to do anything!".
Old 06-29-2015, 04:01 PM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What scares me as I saw my temps rise yesterday in the hills is that if I go have the cars cooling modified from stock, then if I had a major issue they'd use it as a way out of fixing it. I take issue with that.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:09 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

" People are buying the Z07 with serious carbon ceramic brakes, for what? street driving? NOT!!"
Well, actually yes they are buying the Z07 package and the majority will NEVER take them to the track. Out of the 5 other Z06's that I have personally seen with the 07 package, none of them track the car. They purchased the package more for the look than anything else. I never intended on tracking mine so I went with the stage 1 package. I would argue that the aftermarket is where these issues will be resolved as the number of folks that are having this issue pale in comparison to the overall number of Z06 owners. While GM might come forward and claim some type of responsibility, I would not hold my breath. Additionally, if they did come out with a fix, how many would take their car in for these "upgrades" that don't track the car just for the sake of having the upgrade. I would not be surprised if the 2016 model came out with some defined guidelines of what constitutes "track capable".

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***