C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Ya going and modding your cooling system is a future warranty disaster! Funny I keep reading guys posting there's not that many guys tracking the car but I swear after every weekend there is at least 2-3 new threads where overheating has been an issue. I feel like it's affecting a lot more people then 1 or 2% Seems like to me GM needs to step up.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:17 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC7
And void the warranty? What the OP is saying is the car should be without cooling issues straight out of the box.
You got to pay to play. Nothing in this world is 100% fool proof
Old 06-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

People aren't dying, and history shows it takes more than that. Same old GM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:29 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
People aren't dying, and history shows it takes more than that. Same old GM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:40 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Have you talked to your dealer about your concerns? Because I can assure you Corvette Forum is not going to do anything for you except make you paranoid. I talk from my own experience I sold my c6 Z06 because of the valve problems real or not I was paranoid.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

What puzzles me is that at the Ron Fellows HP Driving School in Spring Mt. you never hear about any of their corvettes overheating. And the majority are Stingrays. And its HOT, HOT, very Hot in Vegas. Does anyone know if their Corvettes have special coolers ?? I would assume no auxiliary coolers but I could be wrong.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:55 PM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You think he would tell you if his Corvettes were having issue would be the bigger question. He might, he might not but its a fair question.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
Sit down dude, you are really of no help with your little quips. The adults are talking here. No disrespect meant, but you really are not equipped for this.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:10 PM
10WhiteGS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DLC7
And void the warranty? What the OP is saying is the car should be without cooling issues straight out of the box.
who says upgrading the cooling would void warranty? I'm sure it would void the cooling system warranty... but wouldn't that just be laying on the shop floor anyway?

If I was GM I would void all warranty on a car that's been on the track. GM dealers here won't give you warranty if you break your car on the drag strip.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Default Just called Ron Fellow Driving school

Phoned Ron Fellows school......Well, first the lady tells me that they don't have many A8s like mine, and I would have to schedule way in advance to book one for the track. She says the "we don't have many Autos as they are not good for the track." Then when I asked about mine overheating, she said she knows that they have the same problem with the Autos. As much as some of you hard core Vette guys want to down play that GM screwed up, the facts are there. I want a solution, which may mean trading in for an M7, or? I'm getting old and this may be my last hurrah, while I still have good reflexes. I'm not rich, just comfortable and this is a HUGE expense for my later years of fun and excitement. I will contact my regional rep for GM and see what can be done to correct this issue.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
Sit down dude, you are really of no help with your little quips. The adults are talking here. No disrespect meant, but you really are not equipped for this.
Adults, that's the funniest post yet LOL
Old 06-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's crazy that some of you are implying that he is in the wrong by feeling that this overheating issue is unacceptable. You tell him to pay to play? Come on. $100k should be enough to drive the "most capable Corvette ever" on a track for a few laps without overheating. It's stupid and no one should accept this from a Z06. This car is seriously flawed and GM needs to resolve the flaws.

Last edited by Achilles97; 06-29-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:43 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

has anyone with the overheating problem looked into the part in between the steering wheel and seat?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Default PLEASE chime in if you have overheated

Well I guess we really should try to get a list of A8's that are overheating. I really don't want to hear about how your M7 has NOT overheated. just the real owners who have overheating issues. Please post here so we can document this. I KNOW there is a problem, as I have lived it. Simple response stating Yes, my car has overheated while on the track, or?
Maybe we can get GM to communicate about this, and help us resolve this issue. Thanks Guys

Doug
Old 06-29-2015, 05:50 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

No my A8 has not overheated and I run my car very hard on over 80 degree weekends all the time.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 PM
10WhiteGS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

has anyone with the overheating problem looked into the part in between the steering wheel and seat?

I'm not sure what people are expecting when the say they want GM to fix the problem. Do they think it's a firmware update? or a new radiator cap?

I really doubt GM is going to recall 8000 Z06's to put in larger radiators and redesign the airflow.

It's time to get a grip on reality. If you want to track your car, you might have to spend a few dollars and upgrade it yourself.

Or wait for the "4 yr" model improvement.

I do agree that it was a blunder. The Z07 should have been a track car right out of the box with larger cooling, tires, brakes and spoilers.

Maybe the next generation Z07 will be more track capable with better cooling. Of course it will be 30k option. and it should be.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:00 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Default Is our overheating due to heatsoak? HEAR ME OUT. . .

Prochargers thread had me thinking. We all know GM is spinning the absolute **** out of the stock blower. Their centri, on stock boost level, everything else bone stock, makes 115hp more over the factory blower. This gain is entirely realized in the efficiency of their unit. This means, the stock blower is creating 115hp (about 85kW) of heat.

Normally, I think of heatsoak as the blower heating up, and you’re not being able to cool the charge enough. Usually this is because the blower housing gets really hot. However, when you think of that, you have remember that most blowers are mounted on top of the engine. This basically relegates any cooling of the SC housing to convection from airflow.

However, our blowers are mounted for all intents and purposes inside of the motor. As such, the blower is heating up, but because of its position, it can essentially use the heads/block as a giant heat sink. The reason the IAT’s aren’t climbing as fast as one would expect with a standard heatsoak failure is due to the high thermal conductivity of Al. GM basically turned the block/heads into a giant blower housing. It overheats your coolant/oil before it can significantly over heat the intake charge.

Someone feel free to correct me on this.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 06-29-2015, 06:07 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, we have.

Drivers who are unable or uninterested in tapping into the advertised potential of the car won't have as much trouble with overheating.

If those people want to share their PDR data to help everyone understand what the real limits are, that wold be helpful.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:16 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

I would like to see PDR's of these cars overheating, but more importantly a video of the owner going over the car checking that the car is prepared to handle extreme driving/conditions
Old 06-29-2015, 06:17 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

You can't be serious. According to other members, people with these cars don't go to the track with them
I think if you can afford to spend as much as the value as a small mid western house on your cars, you can pay a race shop a couple grand to throw some extra fat coolers on your car.
I gave him an answer. Pay a race shop to prep the car. Guarantee they will fix the overheating issues.
You got to pay to play. Nothing in this world is 100% fool proof
I was just reading through the thread and it was painfully obvious that all of the above posts are completely useless.

I'm sure you've made your momma "reeeeal" proud.

Have you ever heard the phrase "useless as teats on a boar!"...

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***