C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Or, if you prefer something more visual...
Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL-
Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

i have a Z07 with an A8 because i felt it would be the most capable combination on the track as well as the street.

i will agree that most of us that own this combo don't track it a significant percentage of the time. not even 5% or 1% in my case. this still translates to 2 outings at willow springs in the 5 months that i have had the car.

the first time in april, it was fine, great handling, no overheating, ran for about 2 30 minute sessions. performance better than my well prepped C6Z51. Temps were in the low 70's.

the next time, earlier this month in june, it was close to 100 before noon. the car overheated within the first 5 minutes of running, with CEL on and reduced power. i was using manual mode and taking it fairly easy. the car will definitely not handle hot track days, even for a short time.

it is great on the street. the carbon brakes stop very well. they don't require any warm up like some people on the forum say. i think they are even a little too powerful when cold and you need to be careful that someone behind can't stop as fast.

too bad that the cooling system isn't up to the rest of car's capabilities.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:16 PM
energystar
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what the Vette has for rads but I see the 2016 Camaro SS has 3 rads...2 smaller ones on each side of the main rad...this may be a solution??
Old 06-29-2015, 11:09 PM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
I gave him an answer. Pay a race shop to prep the car. Guarantee they will fix the overheating issues.
What a lame excuse.The car needs to be recalled.And what's lamer is they had a full year to fix it and they haven't for 16 model.

Last edited by william wyatt; 06-29-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

It should do a 20 minute track session good or bad driver. I'm dissapointed so many people have problems. Was at a track today with 90 + temps. C6 and all the Porsches did fine.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:48 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

http://www.csgnetwork.com/densaltcalc.html
Old 06-29-2015, 11:57 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
What a lame excuse.The car needs to be recalled.And what's lamer is they had a full year to fix it and they haven't for 16 model.
2016s just went into production last week. Have you seen a test of the new model year Z06s?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:52 AM
Mpwr247
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
i have a Z07 with an A8 because i felt it would be the most capable combination on the track as well as the street.

i will agree that most of us that own this combo don't track it a significant percentage of the time. not even 5% or 1% in my case. this still translates to 2 outings at willow springs in the 5 months that i have had the car.

the first time in april, it was fine, great handling, no overheating, ran for about 2 30 minute sessions. performance better than my well prepped C6Z51. Temps were in the low 70's.

the next time, earlier this month in june, it was close to 100 before noon. the car overheated within the first 5 minutes of running, with CEL on and reduced power. i was using manual mode and taking it fairly easy. the car will definitely not handle hot track days, even for a short time.

it is great on the street. the carbon brakes stop very well. they don't require any warm up like some people on the forum say. i think they are even a little too powerful when cold and you need to be careful that someone behind can't stop as fast.

too bad that the cooling system isn't up to the rest of car's capabilities.
Thak you. I really don't understand the people on this forum ho are bashing other owners and people for their experiences on the track with this car.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 AM
FitFam
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

why did GM build this car? Just to look pretty? there is a problem... anyone saying there isn't is in denial because they just dropped 100+K on a car and that reality hurts.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:22 AM
Jeuprx-8
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They will not make any changes to "fix" the issue because they have already sold 8400 of them and don't need to. Sales are great. It will take crappy sales for them to want to address their issues and I don't see that happening. The car is just too cheap for them to not sell a ton.

It did however make me cancel my CTS-V order. One overheating LT4 is enough for me.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:40 AM
Mpwr247
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating on the track? Here's my solution.

For the 1% ho drive their zo6 as it was advertised on the track and have overheating problems. Get together with over zo6 car owners at your tracks and let's post the results on YouTube. I'm sure it will get noticed by Gm then. The forum is in denial. The same car owners are bashing others for taking their cars to tracks. It's been a year and nothing getting done about it.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpwr247
For the 1% ho drive their zo6 as it was advertised on the track and have overheating problems. Get together with over zo6 car owners at your tracks and let's post the results on YouTube. I'm sure it will get noticed by Gm then. The forum is in denial. The same car owners are bashing others for taking their cars to tracks. It's been a year and nothing getting done about it.
Back to make another overheating thread huh? It actually hasn't been a year, the first Z06's got delivered in December and people obviously didn't track them right away. Either way, why would posting results from the Cosworth data box on YouTube make any sense? I know you're point is that GM should do something about the cooling system, and I agree. However this is probably not gonna turn out so well since you came here and made a thread to let us know your M5 did "better" on a track than a Z06 (as in it lasted longer). Again, I agree with your general point and thanks for sharing the idea, but I don't think it'll be very effective.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Got to love all the GM apologist who come to the rescue every time one of these threads popup. GM needs to recall these cars and fix the overheating issue people are having. Plain and simple. This is unacceptable especially after GM swept the c6zo6 head issues under the rug. Looks like they are doing the same to C7ZO6 owners. Most track capable Corvette my ***.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:55 AM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The overheating horse is alive and well.

No amount of bizarre posts from people who don't actually track their cars will change that fact.

I have no idea what motivates these folks.

I don't drag race. If someone posted something about an issue related to drag racing, it would be really odd for me to chime in with, "I don't drag race, so I not only don't care about your problem, but I think you should not complain about it."

I have never experienced this with other car forums. Is this a "Corvette thing"? Denial and lack of solidarity? GM must get a kick out of it.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:01 AM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
I would like to see PDR's of these cars overheating, but more importantly a video of the owner going over the car checking that the car is prepared to handle extreme driving/conditions
There are several threads with video and data.

Cars prepped scrupulously according to the manual.

Tadge says that there is a problem. It is weird that you take a position based upon lack of direct experience, and that is contrary to what the manufacturer says about the car.

That is a whole lot of denial.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:18 AM
therealviper
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FitFam
why did GM build this car? Just to look pretty? there is a problem... anyone saying there isn't is in denial because they just dropped 100+K on a car and that reality hurts.
For those who paid 100K for a car they don't plan to track like I'm going to do(not track)... when you go to sell it, perhaps the next guy is looking for a car he can track, and that lowers your resell.

And I will bet many people who will not track, would like to know for image and pride they have a car that does not quickly overheat. People not tracking on this forum are still dying to know the Ring time. Still bought because of the performance claims and the image that comes with that...

Most Porsche, Ferrari or etc.... will not track, but I don't heare anyone of those MFGs accepting cars that overheat easily on tracks in what is normal summer time temps...

Yes, even if you don't track, it is a problem on resale and it does kill living vicariously with those that are trying to track in the same car, or when you are bragging about your car to your buddy and he says its a great car for the first 5 minutes! Remember that people bought cars in the old days of NASCAR, because how they tracked, even though they had no plans to ever track a car.

I don't play pro football either, does not mean I want to own season tickets to a team that only plays the first qtr and then goes down the toilet for the next 3 qtrs!

And they will fix it in a couple of years, which means every one will be looking for the cars with the fix,,, not yours....

I don't recall until the Ask Tadge response that the design was for 85 degrees or even less in the A8 in any literature. And on an 85 degree day, the temp at a track can be 10 degrees hotter... wiping out half the country for half the year... and winter wiping out the other half of the year.

And it is still JUNE... and by the way its in the 110s in Montana and Idaho , even Washington and Oregon.... so no summer racing and no winter driving.

Get this fixed... for those that track and for those that would like to think their car could be one of the ones on a track.

Regards,

Viper as in a Scarab Viper...

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 06-30-2015, 04:42 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

In the dyno test article that I wrote, where I monitored external temps and IAT1 and IAT2 values on subsequent dyno pulls, the blower itself did not appear to be the cause of any heat issues. It is a tiny blower, but GM did a good job on the cooling system of the unit.

As for the Procharger, you also haven't had any of those making hard laps at the road course, which is the only place the C7Z is shown to overheat. I would assume it will have the same issues.

This is purely a radiator size/efficiency issue, coupled with the tiny grille opening. Fix those two, and this issue should go away. That is also the feedback I got from a couple GM engineers (Corvette team), when I asked them about the overheat issues. The car was designed for the 95% of buyers that do not track, and those buyers will be happy with it.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
Got to love all the GM apologist who come to the rescue every time one of these threads popup. GM needs to recall these cars and fix the overheating issue people are having. Plain and simple. This is unacceptable especially after GM swept the c6zo6 head issues under the rug. Looks like they are doing the same to C7ZO6 owners. Most track capable Corvette my ***.
GM should change their advertising to say the Z06 is "the most capable street Corvette ever." They won't fix the problem since they would have to admit there is a problem and then the 2015 owners would be all over them. The waxers and cars and coffee guys are the biggest supporters of the car. The real track guys with these problems are either throwing money at the car or more likely they have sold it and moved on with something else.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:52 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow!! yet another post about the same thing but just worded in a different way.

At this point its just pure clutter on this forum and the moderators should take them down.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***