C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:14 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

I agree - Where is the data?

Originally Posted by Minkster
Got some data to back up that statement specifically related to the Z07 RPO?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:05 PM
red vette nut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853
What part about my statement is inaccurate? All cars suffer heat soak - Period. Super charged cars suffer even more than naturally aspirated cars as you should know. Of course a better radiator like the LG Motorsports Super Cool Radiator (And other brands) will help as it will help all cars. But show me the guys with C6 Z06's that have the cooling issues that the C7 Z06 does (Stock vs stock)? Where is this data?

That is what I was discussing as well as SBC and others. The C6 Z06 does not have a cooling problem - Period. It has had other issues that are well documented, but cooling it does not.
Has anyone found this over heating issue to occur on 2016 ZO6, A-8 with the ZO7 package, or did Chevrolet correct the problem?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:28 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by red vette nut
Has anyone found this over heating issue to occur on 2016 ZO6, A-8 with the ZO7 package, or did Chevrolet correct the problem?
There were no cooling system changes to the 2016 Z06.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:52 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
There were no cooling system changes to the 2016 Z06.

Yeah but... have any 16's experienced any of the same cooling issues?
Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Jwood02
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy was warned....

A very reliable source has told me that Pratt & Miller tested the Z06 for Chevy and in a documented report they told Chevy that the cooling system was inadequate for the car.

Chevy ignored it.....

Don't shoot the messenger...
Old 09-29-2015, 11:34 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwood02
A very reliable source has told me that Pratt & Miller tested the Z06 for Chevy and in a documented report they told Chevy that the cooling system was inadequate for the car.

Chevy ignored it.....

Don't shoot the messenger...
There is no way they didn't know thru their own R and D.....

They made a corporate decision that there are not enough "racers" who buy the Z06 for it to affect their bottom line.

Too many people posing while busting along at 35 MPH own this car
Old 09-30-2015, 12:27 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
There is no way they didn't know thru their own R and D.....

They made a corporate decision that there are not enough "racers" who buy the Z06 for it to affect their bottom line.

Too many people posing while busting along at 35 MPH own this car
There are some minor benefits, like cheap insurance!!!
The following users liked this post:
Hemi Dave (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 12:55 AM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
There are some minor benefits, like cheap insurance!!!
Ha! you got that right, but thats about the the only benefit I can think of. After reading the C&D article, along with all the other reviews which involved certian failures along with a long list of my own, I cannot see what GM's thought process is other than, " our demographic does not drive the cars hard enough to cause any problems". My dealer is trying to tell me that my problems are because I " race" the car. I am flattered, but I try to go out on the track and learn as much as I can and impove until it over heats but that sure as hell is not racing it. So the take away is: car looks really bad ***, and on the street is a terror and can out run most on the interstate and other street venues. So its a brawler, but get it into the ring and it will throw in the towel after a few rounds. What a cluster fu*k.

Last edited by rsilver; 09-30-2015 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Considering the safety risk of overheating, would a class action lawsuit be in order? There are customers of other marques that have put pressure on respective manufacturers to address important issues.

I'm the last guy in the world that would would advice lawyering up but the code of silence is disheartening. This is especially in comparison to Porsche that admitted and resolved the issues corporately.

Considering the documented magazine reports of overheating, does one wait for GM to release a statement admitting the issue before end of year?

There is no excuse for bad engineering. If there are engineering and financial constraints, it only benefits the manufacturer to be upfront from the getgo.

I leave it to you guys to decide.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:14 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

It seems adding additional radiator capacity is not helping all that much. The problem seems to be around air flow. Given that the front end design is not going to change all that much, perhaps the better aftermarket solution would be to increase air flow via more powerful fans. It would seem the draw through fans are about maxed out (cannot draw significant vacuum with a fan) but perhaps an aftermarket solution that added significantly powered pusher fans in front of the radiator could be engineered to over come the air flow deficiency of the front end design?
Old 09-30-2015, 12:48 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rsilver
Ha! you got that right, but thats about the the only benefit I can think of. After reading the C&D article, along with all the other reviews which involved certian failures along with a long list of my own, I cannot see what GM's thought process is other than, " our demographic does not drive the cars hard enough to cause any problems". My dealer is trying to tell me that my problems are because I " race" the car. I am flattered, but I try to go out on the track and learn as much as I can and impove until it over heats but that sure as hell is not racing it. So the take away is: car looks really bad ***, and on the street is a terror and can out run most on the interstate and other street venues. So its a brawler, but get it into the ring and it will throw in the towel after a few rounds. What a cluster fu*k.
Two things GM took into account:

1. As you said, the demographic is a very old man that keeps the car as a throphy behind glass.
2. The few old men that can drive proper and do so, are also the type of repeat buyers that have put up with GM's insufficient cooling for a decade or more and they are ready to do so until their breath is gone. I can name at least half a dozen of these guys that post here every day. They drive up to the track, they short shift the **** out of it, they return to the pits in half a session, and go home early. They log on to corvetteforum and they report what a great time they had.

GM knows 1,2 and made a conscious decision to save the money on developing an up to par for 2015 cooling system. What we have is a devoted user base, and a manufacturer that takes advantage of it. GM is new business, has been since I've been born, they'll lay a railroad track over you carcas for a nickel. Nothing wrong with that either, business is business, but these old school GM lovers have much to suffer for it. They are the last of their kind, the rest of America started waking up in the '80s.

It seems adding additional radiator capacity is not helping all that much. The problem seems to be around air flow. Given that the front end design is not going to change all that much, perhaps the better aftermarket solution would be to increase air flow via more powerful fans. It would seem the draw through fans are about maxed out (cannot draw significant vacuum with a fan) but perhaps an aftermarket solution that added significantly powered pusher fans in front of the radiator could be engineered to over come the air flow deficiency of the front end design?
Just about every car in Motor Trend's last face off had a more extensive cooling system, some had half the power and double the cooling capacity. When you see the PDR for some of our guys, the coolant goes up to 250* in two minutes. No chance to fix that with a slightly larger radiator that has minimal airflow.

Aftermarket can do quite a bit for the M7, but where are you going to put another core for the A8 guys? I've been following how long the aftermarket has been working on the M7 oil cooler. At this rate the A8 guys will get an aftermarket fix when the C8 comes out.

Passive airflow is better for the track than the fans. The airflow limitation is binding, no way to overengineer that one. You have to start drilling holes in the front bumper or grab air from the bottom of the car. No other way.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 09-30-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:01 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Two things GM took into account:

1. As you said, the demographic is a very old man that keeps the car as a throphy behind glass.
2. The few old men that can drive proper and do so, are also the type of repeat buyers that have put up with GM's insufficient cooling for a decade or more and they are ready to do so until their breath is gone. I can name at least half a dozen of these guys that post here every day. They drive up to the track, they short shift the **** out of it, they return to the pits in half a session, and go home early. They log on to corvetteforum and they report what a great time they had.

GM knows 1,2 and made a conscious decision to save the money on developing an up to par for 2015 cooling system. What we have is a devoted user base, and a manufacturer that takes advantage of it. GM is new business, has been since I've been born, they'll lay a railroad track over you carcas for a nickel. Nothing wrong with that either, business is business, but these old school GM lovers have much to suffer for it. They are the last of their kind, the rest of America started waking up in the '80s.

Just about every car in Motor Trend's last face off had a more extensive cooling system, some had half the power and double the cooling capacity. When you see the PDR for some of our guys, the coolant goes up to 250* in two minutes. No chance to fix that with a slightly larger radiator that has minimal airflow.

Aftermarket can do quite a bit for the M7, but where are you going to put another core for the A8 guys? I've been following how long the aftermarket has been working on the M7 oil cooler. At this rate the A8 guys will get an aftermarket fix when the C8 comes out.

Passive airflow is better for the track than the fans. The airflow limitation is binding, no way to overengineer that one. You have to start drilling holes in the front bumper or grab air from the bottom of the car. No other way.

I hope you realize that in some of your posts, the above being one, you come across as an arrogant tool.

I expect that I am one of the "old men" whom you're referring to. I drive the car to the race track, run it for the full session by short shifting, have an incredible time and have been the fastest car in my run groups thus far.

Good luck to you and hope to see you at the track some day; just please give me a point by when you've overheated the car. Again.

Bish
The following 3 users liked this post by thebishman:
GP1224 (10-14-2015), Snorman (09-30-2015), truth.b (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 01:11 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thebishman
I hope you realize that in some of your posts, the above being one, you come across as an arrogant tool.

I expect that I am one of the "old men" whom you're referring to. I drive the car to the race track, run it for the full session by short shifting, have an incredible time and have been the fastest car in my run groups thus far.

Good luck to you and hope to see you at the track some day; just please give me a point by when you've overheated the car. Again.

Bish
I understood the risk and I took it. My favorite bit of track days is chatting with folks of the ole' glory days. But I don't have to agree with everything that is said.

A point by it is.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:12 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Funny how us old men that keep our cars behind glass then bring them out to the track and flog them. What was the glass for then? I think SBC_and_a_stick is confused.

Mine doesn't overheat unless the AC is on and it's over 85F.

You know what? In this 214 page thread there's still no concrete solution. That leads me to believe there's no concrete problem to solve, or someone would have done it instead of whining incessantly.

Can't Ron Davis build a better radiator that still fits? Has anyone added an auxiliary oil cooler?

Nah, because whining and moaning is more fun, less work, and you can do it all winter.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:23 PM
0Tunerz Store
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Based off the information compiled, safe to assume the A8 is effected more than the M7?

Would love to hear more from guys with 2016MY Z's....
Old 10-01-2015, 12:23 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 0PHXGIVEN
Based off the information compiled, safe to assume the A8 is effected more than the M7?

Would love to hear more from guys with 2016MY Z's....
No additional cooling was added for 2016. So either Tadgi and team corvette think everything is peachy keen, or...........?
Old 10-01-2015, 06:00 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate1
Considering the safety risk of overheating, would a class action lawsuit be in order? There are customers of other marques that have put pressure on respective manufacturers to address important issues.

I'm the last guy in the world that would would advice lawyering up but the code of silence is disheartening. This is especially in comparison to Porsche that admitted and resolved the issues corporately.

Considering the documented magazine reports of overheating, does one wait for GM to release a statement admitting the issue before end of year?

There is no excuse for bad engineering. If there are engineering and financial constraints, it only benefits the manufacturer to be upfront from the getgo.

I leave it to you guys to decide.
Checkmate, I a totally agree that the"code of silence" is out there. Why, is beyond me. Even If I didn't want to track the car, I would have a problem with it given the well know cooling deficiencies. Its like saying, "oh yeah, it over heats on the track, but I don't track the car , so it doesn't matter, so it doesn't have a problem". I am surprised the guys that don't have these problems are not more vocal about it given all the problems stated in the press. Its going to kill their investment.

I noticed that Harley Davidson got a class action suit on some of their newer touring bikes. Now that group is dedicated to the brand, but few are standing up for the motor company and telling the guys who have problems that they are whiners and compainers. And that IS a group of old men. They want it right, period. We should too and I am happy to join in any lawsuit concerning the cooling issues in my ZO7. I still have a hard time believing I could over heat engine coolant and power steering driving at my level, short track or long track. Over 88 degrees, forget it. I only planned on going out 4-5 times a year. Sign me up if anyone wants to pursue it, but what a PITA thats going to be. Still I don't like getting screwed and the silent majority might consider that they are too.
The following users liked this post:
pcguy2u (10-01-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 10-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

No heating issue here. Running 80% water with water wetter.
But GM is working on upgraded radiators.. Heard there is fix for heating issue for time being.. But not sure how well it works
Old 10-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Jwood02
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg Quillen
No heating issue here. Running 80% water with water wetter.
But GM is working on upgraded radiators.. Heard there is fix for heating issue for time being.. But not sure how well it works
Greg,

Z06 or Z07? M7 or A8.

I am starting a database to collect all the data we can to see if this is just a few cars and what set up is most affected.

Thx,

JT
Old 10-01-2015, 10:21 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

At least in former model years, the fans shut down at certain speed (40 MPH?) since the air flow becomes better than what the fans can draw. In other words, I don't think fan upgrade would solve anything at the track. If you need to increase air flow, you need to either enlarge the opening, or improve the ducting, or both.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***