C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Track Impressions of Z07 vs Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Default Track Impressions of Z07 vs Z06

This week I was made a very generous offer by a fellow forum member to drive his Z07 with stage 3 aero on track at speed. It was a great opportunity to compare both his car and my stage 2 aero non-Z07 Z06 back to back. Both cars were M7 and running Pilot Super Sports. I also set them both to the same tire pressures and ran both in Track Mode PTM Sport 1. Since the Z07 wasn't my car I obviously ran more conservatively but it was enough to truly appreciate the differences.

For background, here are the technical details on the suspension difference that I have posted in other threads.

The springs, shocks, MR cals, and stab bar bushings are different. Z07 (FE7) is "stiffer" than Z06 (FE6).

The front spring is 62% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6.
The rear spring is 22% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6.

The different stab bar bushing tuning helps get the car to the appropriate understeer level.

The MR shocks on the FE7 have a tighter gap which means a higher “passive” curve in addition to a more aggressive MR damping tuning.

Now my impressions. The first thing you notice just pitting out is that the Z07 is MUCH more firm than the Z06. I felt small bumps in pit lane that I have never felt before and it reminded me of driving my old 5.0 Mustang with cut down springs. I did not drive the car on the street or in tour mode so I can't compare the rides there.

The minute you get on track though there is an immediate difference in turn of the Z07 and the Z06. The Z07 is much quicker and requires greater precision. If you recall the relatively slow turn in of my Z06 was once of my few critiques in my initial track review of it. The turn in difference was sufficiently different that it took me a couple laps to recalibrate my hands and I had to do it again going back to my own car.

I really didn't push the limits of grip in the car but going through the uphill esses the faster turn in and the higher downforce allowed me to run similar speeds with more confidence.

You can feel the drag from the stage 3 aero once you get above 120 or so. At 140+ is was very noticeable compared to the stage 2. Now don't take this to mean the car stopped accelerating but I had gotten used to how the LT4 Z06 accelerates down the back straight at VIR and you could definitely feel the difference. I'd estimate that my speeds at the braking zone were about 5 MPH slower with the stage 3 aero. You'd need a consistent driver and data to tell whether that is made up in greater grip elsewhere (it probably is).

This was also my first time driving the carbon ceramics at speed on track and getting in the car I was told that they have been bedded. On the first lap I went to brake from ~150 MPH at the end of the back straight and the brakes simply weren't there. I was hoping the guy nice enough to let me drive his new $100K car didn't notice the panic on my face as I looked for pavement to get the car slowed before the right hander. We made it around and I took it easy on the high speed braking zones for a couple laps and then started upping the speeds and shortening the brake zones again. The CC brakes really were phenomenal once we had sufficiently heated them up to gas them off and I kept kicking myself for braking too soon.

Compared to my steel brakes with the Ferodo DS 1.11 they both worked as well but the CC had a lot more bite so I had to adjust to not pressing the brake pedal as hard. This also made it a little more challenging for me to trail brake as I had to relearn the amount of pressure to use on the pedal. As a setup you can go from street to track to street without making any changes like pads the CC can't be beat. On track with the right pads I think they both work well and how much bite you get can be changed with pads on steel rotors.

One other point about the brakes. I've noticed that with the Z06 if you brake really hard and have any steering input the ABS seems to bleed pressure away from the rear brakes and the effect is you feel the braking effectiveness go away but if you simply press harder it will still slow. I found it interesting that I didn't notice this with the CC brakes but that could have been that I wasn't pushing the car as hard or simply that with the additional bite you don't need to push the pedal as hard.

Looking back on it do I wish I'd gotten a Z07? Honestly I don't know. I bought the Z06 as a street car and as my "plan B" for a track car if for some reason my C6 Z06 wasn't available. If I had known how much I would be tracking the C7Z then I might have made another decision. I also still don't have any back to back comparison of the ride on the street and I live on some rough roads (I drive a 3 mile gravel road every time I leave the house). I do wish that GM would make the Z07 springs, bushings, and MR cals available for folks that want to convert. Depending on the cost I might do that just to see how bad the ride is.

If I think of anything else I'll add it later but I owe a huge thanks to the guy that let me run his car for a session and a half this week. I'm intentionally withholding who it was but I believe he's on the forum and can chime in.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 07-01-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:48 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

a few little "race goodies" on the same car really make a difference.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:59 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I was told that they have been bedded. On the first lap I went to brake from ~150 MPH at the end of the back straight and the brakes simply weren't there.
It sounds like the person who told you that was mistaken. Just for reference: you'll know properly burnished (NOT BEDDED, DAMMIT! ) pads by their white outline right where the pad meets the rotor. If you don't see that discoloration on the pad: they haven't been properly burnished.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
It sounds like the person who told you that was mistaken. Just for reference: you'll know properly burnished (NOT BEDDED, DAMMIT! ) pads by their white outline right where the pad meets the rotor. If you don't see that discoloration on the pad: they haven't been properly burnished.
Agreed. Potato Tomato.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

As a fellow previous Z07 owner I think Poor is dead on the money. I've driven other Z's without the Z07 and found every aspect true. Also as far as street driving is concerned they are night and day different. The Z07 is a race car and feels every bit of it off the track as well. I'm older and didn't order, or want, the Z07 package on my 16. I dd my cars and want them a bit more comfortable.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

This week I was made a very generous offer by a fellow forum member to drive his Z07 with stage 3 aero on track at speed. It was a great opportunity to compare both his car and my stage 2 aero non-Z07 Z06 back to back. Both cars were M7 and running Pilot Super Sports. I also set them both to the same tire pressures and ran both in Track Mode PTM Sport 1. Since the Z07 wasn't my car I obviously ran more conservatively but it was enough to truly appreciate the differences.

For background, here are the technical details on the suspension difference that I have posted in other threads.

The springs, shocks, MR cals, and stab bar bushings are different. Z07 (FE7) is "stiffer" than Z06 (FE6).

The front spring is 62% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6.
The rear spring is 22% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6.

The different stab bar bushing tuning helps get the car to the appropriate understeer level.

The MR shocks on the FE7 have a tighter gap which means a higher “passive” curve in addition to a more aggressive MR damping tuning.

Now my impressions. The first thing you notice just pitting out is that the Z07 is MUCH more firm than the Z06. I felt small bumps in pit lane that I have never felt before and it reminded me of driving my old 5.0 Mustang with cut down springs. I did not drive the car on the street or in tour mode so I can't compare the rides there.

The minute you get on track though there is an immediate difference in turn of the Z07 and the Z06. The Z07 is much quicker and requires greater precision. If you recall the relatively slow turn in of my Z06 was once of my few critiques in my initial track review of it. The turn in difference was sufficiently different that it took me a couple laps to recalibrate my hands and I had to do it again going back to my own car.

I really didn't push the limits of grip in the car but going through the uphill esses the faster turn in and the higher downforce allowed me to run similar speeds with more confidence.

You can feel the drag from the stage 3 aero once you get above 120 or so. At 140+ is was very noticeable compared to the stage 2. Now don't take this to mean the car stopped accelerating but I had gotten used to how the LT4 Z06 accelerates down the back straight at VIR and you could definitely feel the difference. I'd estimate that my speeds at the braking zone were about 5 MPH slower with the stage 3 aero. You'd need a consistent driver and data to tell whether that is made up in greater grip elsewhere (it probably is).

This was also my first time driving the carbon ceramics at speed on track and getting in the car I was told that they have been bedded. On the first lap I went to brake from ~150 MPH at the end of the back straight and the brakes simply weren't there. I was hoping the guy nice enough to let me drive his new $100K car didn't notice the panic on my face as I looked for pavement to get the car slowed before the right hander. We made it around and I took it easy on the high speed braking zones for a couple laps and then started upping the speeds and shortening the brake zones again. The CC brakes really were phenomenal once we had sufficiently heated them up to gas them off and I kept kicking myself for braking too soon.

Compared to my steel brakes with the Ferodo DS 1.11 they both worked as well but the CC had a lot more bite so I had to adjust to not pressing the brake pedal as hard. This also made it a little more challenging for me to trail brake as I had to relearn the amount of pressure to use on the pedal. As a setup you can go from street to track to street without making any changes like pads the CC can't be beat. On track with the right pads I think they both work well and how much bite you get can be changed with pads on steel rotors.

One other point about the brakes. I've noticed that with the Z06 if you brake really hard and have any steering input the ABS seems to bleed pressure away from the rear brakes and the effect is you feel the braking effectiveness go away but if you simply press harder it will still slow. I found it interesting that I didn't notice this with the CC brakes but that could have been that I wasn't pushing the car as hard or simply that with the additional bite you don't need to push the pedal as hard.

Looking back on it do I wish I'd gotten a Z07? Honestly I don't know. I bought the Z06 as a street car and as my "plan B" for a track car if for some reason my C6 Z06 wasn't available. If I had known how much I would be tracking the C7Z then I might have made another decision. I also still don't have any back to back comparison of the ride on the street and I live on some rough roads (I drive a 3 mile gravel road every time I leave the house). I do wish that GM would make the Z07 springs, bushings, and MR cals available for folks that want to convert. Depending on the cost I might do that just to see how bad the ride is.

If I think of anything else I'll add it later but I owe a huge thanks to the guy that let me run his car for a session and a half this week. I'm intentionally withholding who it was but I believe he's on the forum and can chime in.
Great Write-up !
Old 07-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Great write up!

At Spring Mountain I immediately noticed the difference in turn-in between track alignment and my street alignment (stage 1 Z06's). I imagine the Z07 difference is similar as well.

I do wonder how much slower a Z06 with stage 3 aero is than a Z07. I bet the difference is more in handling qualities than lap times, at that point.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:45 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Great post. I guess all of life is series of compromises.

I think is was a ballsy move to dial up the Aero on the Z07 package to a point where you give up 200mph top end for downforce that is usable on a track.

Kudos to GM for that.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I dont like the look of the aero package on the z07 much prefer the z06.And its got better acceleration and top speed.Remember its a street car first.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flyboy22
Great write up!

At Spring Mountain I immediately noticed the difference in turn-in between track alignment and my street alignment (stage 1 Z06's). I imagine the Z07 difference is similar as well.

I do wonder how much slower a Z06 with stage 3 aero is than a Z07. I bet the difference is more in handling qualities than lap times, at that point.
I've been toying with buying the stage 3 aero for my Z06 but I'm concerned that there's not enough spring to hold the extra DF at speed and don't want to drop $600 on a failed experiment.

It would be great to get an "Ask Tadge" about whether they tested the FE6 suspension with the stage 3 aero.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

It would be great to get an "Ask Tadge" about whether they tested the FE6 suspension with the stage 3 aero.
So set the question up, and when it's time to craft another poll, I'll put it in. That's easy. My strong suspicion, knowing what I know, is that you'd end up riding around on the bump stops, which is no bueno.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:07 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Great review! I agree that the CCBs bleed off a little pressure but still have stopping power if probed further. However, I understood that to be present on the steel brakes as well. Is it not? My theory was that the brake lines expand a little bit more than we want them too. Maybe my theory is still true but the CCBs require just that tad bit more pressure and therefore the expansion is felt more.

IMO the Z07 is mostly about the CCBs. Secondly it's about the suspension stiffness. And that's huge, because unlike a standard shock/spring suspension you can't just swap out cheaply. Furthermore it's all integrated nowadays with aero/ABS/computer etc. That's why GM will likely never offer the stiffer suspension separately.

The aero...meh. We only get 350lbs of downforce at 150mph, and I can't even reach that on the straights on my tracks. Safe to say you may feel it but it doesn't make a huge improvement in lap times. If you buy something like the ACR with huge passive downforce, or McLaren P1 with a huge active rear wing then yeah, aero will make a big difference. On this car I'd say it helps but not considerably.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Great review! I agree that the CCBs bleed off a little pressure but still have stopping power if probed further. However, I understood that to be present on the steel brakes as well. Is it not? My theory was that the brake lines expand a little bit more than we want them too. Maybe my theory is still true but the CCBs require just that tad bit more pressure and therefore the expansion is felt more. .
Sorry if I wasn't clear here. This is definitely the case with the steel brakes. I was commenting that the CCBs seem to exhibit the issue less. I don't think it's the brake lines and it really does seem to be a function of having any (even minute) steering input. I asked the guys at SM about this and they had noticed the same and said it also existed on the Z51 but I never noticed it.

IMO the Z07 is mostly about the CCBs. Secondly it's about the suspension stiffness. And that's huge, because unlike a standard shock/spring suspension you can't just swap out cheaply. Furthermore it's all integrated nowadays with aero/ABS/computer etc. That's why GM will likely never offer the stiffer suspension separately. .
I'd be interested to know if the ABS/AH is tuned any differently on an FE7 vs FE6. I doubt it is. The only difficult part is updating the MR cabs and maybe there is a module you can replace to accomplish this?

The aero...meh. We only get 350lbs of downforce at 150mph, and I can't even reach that on the straights on my tracks. Safe to say you may feel it but it doesn't make a huge improvement in lap times. If you buy something like the ACR with huge passive downforce, or McLaren P1 with a huge active rear wing then yeah, aero will make a big difference. On this car I'd say it helps but not considerably.
Well first of all any DF is better than the lift we used to have. The C7Z is definitely more confidence inspiring than the C6Z at high speeds. I hate to use "I have a friend" references but the person that rode with me on the 2:04.8 run normally races a P1 car and is very attuned to downforce. His estimate based on the feel of the car was my car with the stage 2 had about 300 lbs of DF and the main place you're going to notice that is the climbing esses where as the slow guy I end around 130 MPH.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

A friend of mine who has a C7 Z07 and has tracked it was talking to me a few days ago about the possibility of me getting into a C7 Z06 with or without the Z07 package. Given that the majority of my time would be spent on the street, he clearly recommended not getting the Z07 because of the ride characteristics. FWIW.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:38 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Sorry if I wasn't clear here. This is definitely the case with the steel brakes. I was commenting that the CCBs seem to exhibit the issue less. I don't think it's the brake lines and it really does seem to be a function of having any (even minute) steering input. I asked the guys at SM about this and they had noticed the same and said it also existed on the Z51 but I never noticed it.

I misread it.

I'd be interested to know if the ABS/AH is tuned any differently on an FE7 vs FE6. I doubt it is. The only difficult part is updating the MR cabs and maybe there is a module you can replace to accomplish this?

I would think it is tuned differently to account for the fact that Cup 2 offer a little bit more grip. But, perhaps the balance is not changed so no tuning is required. It's a matter of how much money GM put in to fine tune. I'm sure if you just add the leaf spring it will ride just fine in Track mode. Something like Sport mode for Z07 guys.

Well first of all any DF is better than the lift we used to have. The C7Z is definitely more confidence inspiring than the C6Z at high speeds. I hate to use "I have a friend" references but the person that rode with me on the 2:04.8 run normally races a P1 car and is very attuned to downforce. His estimate based on the feel of the car was my car with the stage 2 had about 300 lbs of DF and the main place you're going to notice that is the climbing esses where as the slow guy I end around 130 MPH.
Maybe I just don't have enough high speed turns in Northern California. A delta of 400lbs @ 150 mph is probably only worth 200lbs downforce difference in the highest speed turns for me.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:53 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Very nice comparison, thanks for sharing. Most people assume that CCB's brake better, but that isn't necessarily true. CCB's just remain consistent for much longer, as they aren't affected by heat. But, they also require the first few brake zones to be hard, to heat them up.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Great write up Sean!

Get notified of new replies

To Track Impressions of Z07 vs Z06

Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Great write up.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:29 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Great comparison review. I was going to be there with my Z07 but had to pull out of the event at the last minute due to work, so I don't have anything to share unfortunately. I did notice in Mero's VIR video, he was exiting the Esses at about 130 at the top with a ~148 entry speed and 138+ in the middle from T8a-T8b, so your exit speed doesn't sound "that" slow. Was the 2.04 lap with the Z07 car?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I wish someone would do a skidpad direct comparison between Stage 1 / 2 / 3. Would be very interesting, especially if all 3 were on the same tires. Of course, a fourth test with Cup 2's would be nice as well.

Quick Reply: Track Impressions of Z07 vs Z06