C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Blown engine??? Post up

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 06:17 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Z06
I agree the Z06 is still a great car. However in fairness, the good thing is Porsche owns up and proactively volunteers to promptly resolve the issue. Others <ahem ahem GM> either do less to remediate or take a long time just to initiate and follow-through with a corrective action.
Are you familiar with the RMS issue that lasted years and hit thousands of cars? Did Porsche ever recall all of those cars? I don't think so.
Bish
Old 10-11-2015, 05:01 AM
Fastmikefree
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice post and idea! Please keep update it if all possible. Nice to have

Many thanks

Phil
Old 05-12-2017, 11:44 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old thread, but my motor just let go at 9k miles.

Got a reduced engine power warning and then when I came to a stop the motor shut off and wouldn't come back on.

No idea as to the cause yet, just that the dealer found metal in the oil pan.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:53 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
Old thread, but my motor just let go at 9k miles.

Got a reduced engine power warning and then when I came to a stop the motor shut off and wouldn't come back on.

No idea as to the cause yet, just that the dealer found metal in the oil pan.

That sucks man. I hope they find something definitive.

My buddy recently popped his motor in his 16'. It wasnt stock so no warranty, but when they pulled the motor apart, you could see the piston skirts had been hitting the oil squirters on 4 holes and the skirts were broken to pieces on 2 holes. Obviously, it was like that since new. Complete **** assembly process. The shop said this is the second one this year they've gotten in with piston skirts hitting the oil squirters. Rod bearings looked great.

Really makes me not want to mod, just to keep the warranty.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:20 AM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

My car is currently at the dealer for strange clanking noise coming from the engine. They are going to open up the engine and let me know what's going on next week. Hopefully nothing serious. Sounds like valvetrain or a rod though. I'm hoping that they honor the warranty despite having a Borla x-pipe on the car.

Originally Posted by ajrothm
That sucks man. I hope they find something definitive.

My buddy recently popped his motor in his 16'. It wasnt stock so no warranty, but when they pulled the motor apart, you could see the piston skirts had been hitting the oil squirters on 4 holes and the skirts were broken to pieces on 2 holes. Obviously, it was like that since new. Complete **** assembly process. The shop said this is the second one this year they've gotten in with piston skirts hitting the oil squirters. Rod bearings looked great.

Really makes me not want to mod, just to keep the warranty.
What mods did your buddy have?
Old 05-13-2017, 11:37 AM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

They should. An xpipe couldn't possibly cause a motor to let go.

Fwiw I also have one
Old 05-13-2017, 11:58 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by xkilo16x

What mods did your buddy have?

Full bolt ons... 700 rwhp.

It melted a plug and blew the front timing seal out at the track. They assumed it was hurt, but when they did the leak down, it tested ok. They pulled it apart, the heads/pistons were fine (besides the broken skirts)... No obvious melting or detonation damage. It really just needed a good -10 ventilation system on the valve covers...

However since they discoved the broke piston skirts and chunks of skirt in the pan, he had a new engine built. Now its a head/cam/ported blower deal making 790.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:39 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Old 05-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Greenbayjohn
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hand built engines

I'll start by saying I have a Z06/Z07 with a hand built engine...mine is perfect. I just finished course at Ron Fellows and one of the participants was head of engineering at plant in bowling green. I asked him that question and he said he felt quality control was higher with hand built engines as opposed to robots. His words exactly commented on quality checks and ability to stop work for any deviance from specs. The Z07 guys take a lot of hits on this forum which is surprising to meme. Always seems like it's Z06 owners trying to justify their purchase and not respecting the differences in the cars. Always about ride quality...Any Z07 owner will agree there is no issue there at all. And let's examine what corvette is charging more for...is it for less of a car than a regular production Z06??? They hand build those engines because they see a value to doing so for a reason. I look at our brand at all levels and hold it in the highest regard but come on now guys...there is a difference at every level. Enjoy what you bought...let us Z07 guys have our moment before Zr1 arrives...if you want to bring attention to what you bought...look to Porsche or other comparisons to make you feel good. Remember we all feel great at every level when we go out to our garage to take these cars out. In life and cars... you do get what you pay for.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:22 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenbayjohn
I'll start by saying I have a Z06/Z07 with a hand built engine...mine is perfect. I just finished course at Ron Fellows and one of the participants was head of engineering at plant in bowling green. I asked him that question and he said he felt quality control was higher with hand built engines as opposed to robots. His words exactly commented on quality checks and ability to stop work for any deviance from specs. The Z07 guys take a lot of hits on this forum which is surprising to meme. Always seems like it's Z06 owners trying to justify their purchase and not respecting the differences in the cars. Always about ride quality...Any Z07 owner will agree there is no issue there at all. And let's examine what corvette is charging more for...is it for less of a car than a regular production Z06??? They hand build those engines because they see a value to doing so for a reason. I look at our brand at all levels and hold it in the highest regard but come on now guys...there is a difference at every level. Enjoy what you bought...let us Z07 guys have our moment before Zr1 arrives...if you want to bring attention to what you bought...look to Porsche or other comparisons to make you feel good. Remember we all feel great at every level when we go out to our garage to take these cars out. In life and cars... you do get what you pay for.
Aren't all 17s 'band's built ... Wouldn't say its unique for Z07s at this point ..
Back on topic I read the AMP 8s car blew its motor... 80+ passes at 1300+whp.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:40 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

amp had 80 passes?? i thought been at track only 4 times?
Old 05-14-2017, 12:54 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
amp had 80 passes?? i thought been at track only 4 times?
On the stock bottom end, not at that power level.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Why does it seem 90% of the blown motors are from modded cars?
Old 05-14-2017, 01:25 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

not true. My car was stock as well as 2 others I know. Now i have local prob well over 40 modded and tuned c7 z06s with no issues.

It can happen to stock cars as well as modded.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:38 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Ok.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Full bolt ons... 700 rwhp.

It melted a plug and blew the front timing seal out at the track. They assumed it was hurt, but when they did the leak down, it tested ok. They pulled it apart, the heads/pistons were fine (besides the broken skirts)... No obvious melting or detonation damage. It really just needed a good -10 ventilation system on the valve covers...
What does the ventilation system have to do with broken piston skirts? Or was it the pushed out seal?
Please specify, and go into more detail.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-14-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:47 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenbayjohn
I respectfully disagree.
It makes no difference in engine quality whether it's a Z06 or Z07. I had a 2016 Z06 and now 2017 Z07. All engines are hand built. No hand picked parts or more precised tolerance for Z07 engines. The only difference is with Z07 one person handles the build instead of several individuals.
My 2017 Z07 engine let go at 1700 miles when I went on ECO mode, lifter pin came off, push rod got damaged, cams got shaved. GM put in a new engine for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by 5thGear:
Al3x_666 (05-18-2017), Oskee (05-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Blown engine??? Post up

Old 05-14-2017, 04:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

You're right...it's the same engine.
The only difference between the Z06 and 07 is aero bits (and maybe some slightly different chassis parts).
Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Just got word back. They're replacing the motor and the supercharger. They both arrived at the dealership today. Glad it's getting taken care of pretty quickly, not looking forward to having to break it in though!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:28 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
Just got word back. They're replacing the motor and the supercharger. They both arrived at the dealership today. Glad it's getting taken care of pretty quickly, not looking forward to having to break it in though!
Did they have a field engineer come down? Surprised it's so fast. When did you drop the car off to the dealer?

Quick Reply: Blown engine??? Post up