C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Blown engine??? Post up

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:06 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Blown engine??? Post up

If your engine has blown please post it. I for one had mine blow but seems like we have a few others. I'm just getting a count because seems like some on this forum are making it sound like way more than there really is. To date I've been told by the team that took my car back 13 engines out of like 8k plus z06s made

so heres the list
1) NORCALSS
2) lawdogg149
3)walhan_qtr
4) zrace2
5) car tested in magazine

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 07-15-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:29 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCALSS
If your engine has blown please post it. I for one had mine blow but seems like we have a few others. I'm just getting a count because seems like some on this forum are making it sound like way more than there really is. To date I've been told by the team that took my car back 13 engines out of like 8k plus z06s made
I was #1. The 13 sounds about right. I wasn't really #1 because when dealer called into GM tac they said i was lucky the car before mine only had 4 miles on it. Im still believing it has something to do with the crap for AC delco oil the factory fills with. Then my dealer forced me to use the crap and 1 week later motor let go. Two weeks later the memo comes out to change to mobil 1 at 500 miles.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:38 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

My additional question.

Have we seen a hand built Zo7 engine blow yet? All i remember so far have been the mass produced engines in the zo6
Old 07-12-2015, 10:56 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

I've seen a few Z07s.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCALSS
Ive only seen 5
Old 07-13-2015, 01:01 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

My car was a z07

so heres the list
1) NORCALSS
2) lawdogg149
Old 07-13-2015, 01:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

There is little difference between the production methods for the hand built engines and the production ones other than where they are built and a few assembly details. In most cases they use identical tooling. If the so called production assemblies make any increased use of automation that would tend to make them a little less likely to have build issues. Robots don't make mistakes like humans do.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
pkincy (05-21-2017), Rosco p (05-15-2017)
Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Fastmikefree
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is little difference between the production methods for the hand built engines and the production ones other than where they are built and a few assembly details. In most cases they use identical tooling. If the so called production assemblies make any increased use of automation that would tend to make them a little less likely to have build issues. Robots don't make mistakes like humans do.

Bill
Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastmikefree
I agree to. I would prefer the engine build by robots.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 AM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Reason for Blown engines?

Was there any explanation as to what happened? Lawdogg said oil issue? Have to question that not using Mobil 1 can blow an engine! Really. Did you guys race the car before 1500 miles or do any tinkering with the engines?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:13 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Excellent point! There are many on this and other forums who have some gross misconceptions regarding the "hand built" engine thing. Lets not forget that the high tech digitally slaved precision assembly machine wasn't sucking on a crack pipe or had a fight with its wife before work. Human error and variability are everywhere. Automation eliminates this weak link in the chain.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:52 AM
mjpcowboy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The Z07 motor uses just as much automation the difference is not as many people involved in the assembly one person responsible through the process of the build
Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 AM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
I agree to. I would prefer the engine build by robots.
The question regarding who built the blown engines has not been answered. Of the supposed 13, so far I see 2 on this post, both built by an individual. The most recent blown which was driven by the press also appear to have been a Z07 thus again built by an individual. I too would opt for an automated build, not only for engines, but paint etc.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Anyone else on this forum have a blown engine? Or links to the names. I think was a few
Old 07-13-2015, 01:14 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by docf
I too would opt for an automated build, not only for engines, but paint etc.
Isn't the paint (with all the issues) automated now?

If I get another Vette I will have to do the plant tour btw

OP, bump and sorry to get off topic.....
Old 07-13-2015, 01:23 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You know the new 2016 Cadillac CTS-V uses the same engine as the Z06? Slightly detuned, but same engine. Theirs aren't the hand built ones, and they only run automatics.

You might want to check their forums and see if they know of any engine issues there, too, since you want to capture the universe of blown engines of the same type.

Just a thought.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:29 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Well if it is 10 engines of 10,000 pretty low. .001 percent! Sounds like no worry unless of course you have unlucky and landed in the .001 and some of those 10 we don't
know but a few could have abused the car too much too early.

We know cars with 37 miles on the odo have been to the strip with all out passes at 37 miles. That one didn't fail yet.

These cars have coatings on the bearing's that needs a proper breakin for best results. The 500 mile break in oil is fine. Is not a issue.

There is no issue that I see so far. I do think the 1lt has oilling issues
the lt4 is better in my book

Get notified of new replies

To Blown engine??? Post up

Old 07-13-2015, 01:32 PM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LATrafficJam
You know the new 2016 Cadillac CTS-V uses the same engine as the Z06? Slightly detuned, but same engine. Theirs aren't the hand built ones, and they only run automatics.

You might want to check their forums and see if they know of any engine issues there, too, since you want to capture the universe of blown engines of the same type.

Just a thought.
GM has not even built one CTS V for the consumer yet. Builds start Next Monday. Also the engines aren't "detuned" they have more restrictive exhaust manifolds thus the loss of 10 HP.

I have one on order and the ZO6 forum is the only thing keeping me informed on the LT4s!! Cant wait.

OP, unfortunately I don't think you will get all or even close to all the documented blown LT4s. As Im sure your aware not all Z06 owners are on this forum. And forget about asking GM they wont give you that answer.

I really think it just came down to quality control and metal filings they were not cleaned out properly after the machining of the crank shaft oil galleys and so on. At least I hope.

If its the human error of the "hand built" engines I still find that hard to believe as all the tools they use for torquing things are pre set air tools.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:38 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by gonabite
GM has not even built one CTS V for the consumer yet. Builds start Next Monday. Also the engines aren't "detuned" they have more restrictive exhaust manifolds thus the loss of 10 HP.

I have one on order and the ZO6 forum is the only thing keeping me informed on the LT4s!! Cant wait.

OP, unfortunately I don't think you will get all or even close to all the documented blown LT4s. As Im sure your aware not all Z06 owners are on this forum. And forget about asking GM they wont give you that answer.

I really think it just came down to quality control and metal filings they were not cleaned out properly after the machining of the crank shaft oil galleys and so on. At least I hope.

If its the human error of the "hand built" engines I still find that hard to believe as all the tools they use for torquing things are pre set air tools.
In the past the caddy received a engine similar but not exactly the same. Be a real change if they are the same.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:49 PM
sushisean
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heads blew on my Z07 2 weeks ago at Laguna Seca. Hopefully have the car back from the dealer this week unless some other issue comes up.

Quick Reply: Blown engine??? Post up