C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Another experiment in heat reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Another experiment in heat reduction

This is just something we threw together to test. The cat is so close to the oil cooler / exchanger that I can't help but think that getting that out of the equation has to help.
We've been using this particular thermal blanket for some time and it really is amazing stuff.
I laid a piece on my hand and took a torch to it. You can see the blanket turns red but never transfers heat to my hand. Pretty amazing stuff. It's made from ceramic fiber.

I made an aluminum shield to cover the cooler and the fittings above it then lined the inside with this thermal blanket. I made a bottom cover to retain the thermal blanket as much as anything.
On the other side we wrapped the lines with the same thermal blanket and then wrapped them again with the thermal hose sleeve that we use in our fuel systems. That just protects the blanket and keeps it in place.
Because this is a water - oil cooling system as opposed to and external air - oil cooler. oil temp has more effect on water temp and vice versa.
The customer is doing a day and night event at the Streets of Willow this weekend. It should be hot out there and he thinks he'll get close to 10 sessions in. We'll see what the results are after that.

A&A CORVETTE
477 LAMBERT ST
OXNARD CA 93036
WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS
HOME OF THE WORLDS FIRST
CENTRIFUGALLY SUPERCHARGED C7

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Andy@AACorvette.com 805- 278 4107

Last edited by Andy@A&ACorvette; 07-17-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:26 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Good idea and nice work...hope it works!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:35 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

Great work GM!?

Great work Andy!

Does the "Lemon Law" apply to racing?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-17-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:45 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Ceramic coating the manifolds and car pipes and mid pipes cut down tons of Temps on customers c7 I did. This is why I'm costing all my exhaust
Old 07-17-2015, 01:59 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

[QUOTE=Andy@AandASuperchargers;1590070072]This is just something we threw together to test. The cat is so close to the oil cooler / exchanger that I can't help but think that getting that out of the equation has to help.
We've been using this particular thermal blanket for some time and it really is amazing stuff.

Good work Andy. This type thing is why many of us are here.

I have worked with heat shielding fabric before in the aviation industry (not this though).

Recommend.

1. Moving the shielding material to the outside of the bracket you made. It doesn't look as neat but it will actually shield the cooler AND your mount from the cat better. Heat is being radiated from the cat to the outside of your bracket. So if you shield the outside of the bracket you will see better results. The other benefit is you will have a larger area "air gap" and air flow between your manufactured bracket and the heat sink without the material there.

2. Shield the oil filter as well. Don't wrap it or the cat but getting material between the cat and your bracket as far away from the heat sink and oil filter area as possible while leaving as large an air gap as possible should give you the best results.

Last edited by dar02081961; 07-17-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:23 PM
15Z06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work, great start. Concur that shielding the filter should help as well.

Personally, I think you're on the way to making some bread if you'd like to refine it a bit and crank out some kits.

Last edited by 15Z06; 07-17-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:26 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
1. Moving the shielding material to the outside of the bracket you made. It doesn't look as neat but it will actually shield the cooler AND your mount from the cat better. Heat is being radiated from the cat to the outside of your bracket. So if you shield the outside of the bracket you will see better results. The other benefit is you will have a larger area "air gap" and air flow between your manufactured bracket and the heat sink without the material there.

2. Shield the oil filter as well. Don't wrap it or the cat but getting material between the cat and your bracket as far away from the heat sink and oil filter area as possible while leaving as large an air gap as possible should give you the best results.

Great starting point...

From a heat transfer perspective (as dar mentioned), you need to prevent/shield radiation from the hot bits (cat/exhaust) while not stifling airflow around the sinks (cooler and oil filter to a lesser extent). You need to allow convective heat rejection around the oil cooler through air flow. The oil cooler was designed for this, and the blanket material where it's at is preventing air flow.

I'd also suggest the shield you've crafted either uses the bottom cover as a slight scoop at the leading edge to guide airflow past/around the cooler, or leave the bottom cover off.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:26 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

DEI exhaust wrap plus high temp paint on the oil cooler heat shield will also work... here's my example which I will install soon. I got it from a forum member who fabricated one using an 18 gauge steel via bends & welds. It mounts using 2 of the existing T40 oil cooler bolts. As you can see it doesn't detract or prevent air flow on the oil filter & cooler side.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:18 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Heat shielding between the catalytic converter and anything else should be applied around the catalytic converter for best possible result, which would reduce heat radiation to all elements near the cat. This would maintain airflow to the OEM oil cooler in case there is any benefit at all from airflow. Since it is a fluid to fluid cooler, it does not really rely on airflow for cooling, rather it relies on coolant flow. Here is how OEM's insulate cats:

Heat shielding is obtained from an air gap between cat and a metal heat shield all around.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:29 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default And!

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Heat shielding between the catalytic converter and anything else should be applied around the catalytic converter for best possible result, which would reduce heat radiation to all elements near the cat. This would maintain airflow to the OEM oil cooler in case there is any benefit at all from airflow. Since it is a fluid to fluid cooler, it does not really rely on airflow for cooling, rather it relies on coolant flow. Here is how OEM's insulate cats:

Heat shielding is obtained from an air gap between cat and a metal heat shield all around.
It is mysteriously absent here so oops out of room I guess?
Old 07-17-2015, 05:39 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Since it is a fluid to fluid cooler, it does not really rely on airflow for cooling
It's relying on both. Otherwise it wouldn't have all of the surface area on it via those fins. Covering that up is going to be somewhat detrimental to its ability to cool anything (not that it's helping much as it is).
Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 732 Likes on 481 Posts

Claude, wouldn't you run the risk of perhaps overheating the cat in this fashion since it then would not be getting as much cooling airflow?

Bish
Old 07-17-2015, 06:00 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 732 Likes on 481 Posts

Can an expert mention what detrimental effect, if any, there would be on the ceramic cooling 'pad' when exposed to the elements, specifically rain?

Bish
Old 07-17-2015, 06:35 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Great Piont!

Originally Posted by thebishman
Claude, wouldn't you run the risk of perhaps overheating the cat in this fashion since it then would not be getting as much cooling airflow?

Bish
Perhaps the shielded cat. needs direct airflow, which, isn't possible with the cats turned up on an angle. So super oil cool this thing I guess? They can't have been that dumb!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:10 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The shield C7_Z06 shows is one my son and me fab'd and several folks have installed one. It has helped some more than others. I think a lot has to do with driving style, and track layout. I have one on my Z51 and tracked it last weekend in hot as hell 96 +F heat and although the oil temps on the Z51 are not as bad as the Z06 my oil temps only got to 260. It's hard to compare track days because of ambient temp differences, but my oil temps have gotten to 277 in prior track days. The shield has got to help.

Last edited by ap6954; 07-17-2015 at 09:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (01-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:53 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Subscribe.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
It's relying on both. Otherwise it wouldn't have all of the surface area on it via those fins. Covering that up is going to be somewhat detrimental to its ability to cool anything (not that it's helping much as it is).
There are no "fins" they are barely ripples.
If the water temp is 220 and the oil temp is 240 do you think that air temps that are a LOT higher than that will help cooling?
I don't think for a minute that my little gadget is going to cure everything because the cooler is not designed to be cooled (or heated) from the outside. I just thing that 500* plus temperatures an inch away will have some detrimental effect on it.

Originally Posted by xp800

Great starting point...

From a heat transfer perspective (as dar mentioned), you need to prevent/shield radiation from the hot bits (cat/exhaust) while not stifling airflow around the sinks (cooler and oil filter to a lesser extent). You need to allow convective heat rejection around the oil cooler through air flow. The oil cooler was designed for this, and the blanket material where it's at is preventing air flow.

I'd also suggest the shield you've crafted either uses the bottom cover as a slight scoop at the leading edge to guide airflow past/around the cooler, or leave the bottom cover off.
Same answer. The bottom is really just to keep the heat shield in place and protect it from the elements.
It's for that reason I can't put the blanket outside the shield. It would fall apart and be gone in no time.
I really don't think airflow around the brick has anything to do with it.
I wrapped the hoses on the other side with it but without the black outer sleeve it would not last any time at all.
We'll see what it does this weekend. If it works, it works.

Get notified of new replies

To Another experiment in heat reduction

Old 07-18-2015, 12:46 AM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm sooo confused. I agree w the shield to act as a heat sink. No blanket needed. You can't have it both ways. If you use the blanket to isolate cat heat from oil cooler, it's also isolating oil cooler from air flow (to dissapate heat). I know it doesn't have fins, but it is thin walled w releifs designed to utilize airflow to a certain extent. BTW. I believe polished stainless steel is best for use as a heat sink in this application. Superformance used it to isolate any transfer of heat from headers to foot box in their Cobras. No insulation is needed and the headers are only 3 inches from foot box/floor. I suggest definitely losing the blanket.

Last edited by Dabigsnake; 07-18-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:49 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Andy@AandASuperchargers
I really don't think airflow around the brick has anything to do with it.
I can appreciate your "shot in the dark" attempts at solving engine oil heat. But you state you "don't think airflow" has anything to do with it. Why then does that cooler have fins (or ripples as you mistakenly refer to them as)? If airflow and air cooling has nothing to do with it, why would GM spend the extra money to have that shape formed into the metal versus just encasing the cooler in a smooth-sided block?
Old 07-18-2015, 08:53 AM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been working with DEI to create a custom 8x15 thermal blanket to wrap around the cats.

I tried the metal heat shield that attaches with two of the oil cooler brick's bolts a month ago and it did not provide any benefit to my Z06 on track.

Quick Reply: Another experiment in heat reduction