C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Lesson Time-This is how you do things GM

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:33 PM
53corvette08
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lesson Time-This is how you do things GM

This is an interesting comparison on how two different car companies deal with defects.

GM and the dropped valve/valve guide fiasco:
We don't know about it, don't think its going on, only affects a few years due to machining errors, we don't know whats causing it, Tadge is going to look into it and talk to some well known reputable shops and get back to us, (BTW anyone know whats happened to the disappearing Tadge?) and finally, Its out of warranty-sorry we cant help you!

I also own a 2007 toyota with 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.
So warranty was up in 2012 and some 60,000 miles ago.

Toyota and the reports of excessive oil consumption:
I get a letter a month ago, called a "warranty enhancement program" dealing with excessive engine oil consumption. This letter says Toyota is extending my new vehicle warranty for replacement of parts related to cases of excessive engine oil consumption for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles whichever occurs first. It also states that if you have out of pocket costs related to excessive oil consumption contact your dealer for reimbursement. They also have a reimbursement program for previous repairs

From what I can understand the excessive oil consumption is believed to be due to the rings not functioning properly. That's not a cheap fix, maybe more expensive than fixing the heads on my Z06, i don't know.
The point is, one company is standing behind its products and even increasing the warranty on cars which have already expired warranties to cover its customers. The other is shirking its responsibilities and hiding behind the warranty expiration even on cars with super low mileage. Don't get me wrong, I love my corvette as I love my camry for different reasons. But really, General motors should suck it up and stand behind its vehicles. If there is truly nothing wrong except for a few years with machining issues as they state, then why not extend the warranty to cover the valve trains for 10 years, and say 60,000 miles? According to GM there is nothing wrong, so why not do a good will gesture and shut up all the naysayers at the same time? If there is nothing wrong it costs them nothing, and gains them a ton of good will. If it is just a few years with machining issues they should be covering those cars irregardless of the time frame up to say 60,000 miles.
That would be the right thing to do!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:42 PM
53corvette08
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry this should be in the C6 Z06 forum

Quick Reply: Lesson Time-This is how you do things GM