C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Starting Over: C7 Z06 Overheating Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The car will not go into a limp mode at 256*. At 256* the car shuts off access to the A/C whether or not it is running, gives you an overheating warning, but let's you press further until 262*. This is all you wanted from me right?

However, the part about my PS overheating despite the A/C being off didn't interest you that much. You don't believe me. Ok, you can tell folks that as long as they keep their A/C off the PS won't go out on them. You can also tell them that the manual cars don't overheat.

This is really how you feel, as you stated:

"I am trying to temper this wild prevailing attitude that the car is untrackable as that is false."

So why not call the thread that? Why make it sound like you are trying to distill information for people when you want to put a spin on things?

I think it's obvious that just about any car is trackable with the right driving pace and style. But who gives a damn? Do you aim to drive this car like Pobst, and should expect 6 minutes of run time @85, or should you aim to drive this car like a beginner and run one set of pads every 20 track days? Who do you learn from, the beginner or Pobst?

What distilling the information should really say:

"Amateur drivers can easily overheat the coolant and power steering unit in the C7 Z06 on track days. This is true regardless of whether they optioned the car with a manual or automatic and turning the A/C off doesn't always work."

Do I care that not all amateurs can overheat the car? No, no I don't.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The car will not go into a limp mode at 256*. At 256* the car shuts off access to the A/C whether or not it is running, gives you an overheating warning, but let's you press further until 262*. This is all you wanted from me right?

However, the part about my PS overheating despite the A/C being off didn't interest you that much. You don't believe me. Ok, you can tell folks that as long as they keep their A/C off the PS won't go out on them. You can also tell them that the manual cars don't overheat.

"I am trying to temper this wild prevailing attitude that the car is untrackable as that is false."

So why not call the thread that? Why make it sound like you are trying to distill information for people when you want to put a spin on things?

I think it's obvious that just about any car is trackable with the right driving pace and style. But who gives a damn? Do you aim to drive this car like Pobst, and should expect 6 minutes of run time @85, or should you aim to drive this car like a beginner and run one set of pads every 20 track days? Who do you learn from, the beginner or Pobst?

"Amateur drivers can easily overheat the coolant and power steering unit in the C7 Z06 on track days. This is true regardless of whether they optioned the car with a manual or automatic and turning the A/C off doesn't always work."

I respect you, but I'm not sure this post really helped in making this thread better...
Old 08-12-2015, 10:03 PM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I usually try to stay out of personal bickerings but, this time I need to side with SBC, particularly if he quoted Poor-sha correctly, as below:

I think that by now we have ample evidences that the car, be that the base, the Z51 or the ZO6 variations are very prone to overheating. I see this statement, "wild prevailing attitude that the car is untrackable as that is false" simply ignoring the most obvious.

I tend to suspect more and more that there are no real individual cooling differences between cars. Given an aggressive driver, a track with ample low gear corners, pretty much all C7s will overheat. Two Edmund pro drivers overheated the Z51 within a dozen of 2nd and 3rd gear corners in mountain driving. Guess, what? I can replicate those exact same scenarios over my local canyon roads. Yes, I can keep my temps under the warning levels IF I chose to shortshift to keep the RPMs down. But, the fact is that the car still overheats when driven all out.

So, as I proposed before, instead of aiming to point out flaws in other people's experiences or observations, we should concentrate to make our cars NOT OVERHEAT, regardless of the track, the competency of the driver or the ambient temps. Plenty of cars out there can deliver exactly that, why not ours?

Last edited by axr6; 08-12-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:09 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Daaaamn. Everyone chill.

Remember.....us younger vette owners grew up with the internet's, and don't get offended by written word.

With that said, let's get back to the original issue.

On a side note: The latest ask tadge Q and A, both sidestepped the main issue.
That issue is: who is taking responsibility for this at GM. They can say they are aware of it......but who is responsible for the fix?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good point. It's really disappointing to hear all this with z coming on the transporter now. Maybe u should just cancel the sale
Old 08-13-2015, 12:50 AM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Little birdies say 2018 is suppose to be the year.....
Old 08-13-2015, 03:28 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
I respect you, but I'm not sure this post really helped in making this thread better...
Well, I tried. Correcting misleading information was my way of contributing.

I thought it would be a mistake to let people drive their cars up to 265* thinking that it's safe to do so.

I didn't think it would be wise to let people think they can avoid losing powersteering by simply turning off the A/C. Losing steering assist is not to be taken lightly, you can easily end up in a wall. I also didn't think it was fair for those that reported loosing power steering for people to think they were tracking with the A/C on. Most guys that track have the common sense to turn it off, especially in a car that is prone to overheating. Not that it should happen anyway, it's nuts to have electric powersteering cut off for any reason.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:37 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Well, I tried. Correcting misleading information was my way of contributing.

I thought it would be a mistake to let people drive their cars up to 265* thinking that it's safe to do so.

I didn't think it would be wise to let people think they can avoid losing powersteering by simply turning off the A/C. Losing steering assist is not to be taken lightly, you can easily end up in a wall. I also didn't think it was fair for those that reported loosing power steering for people to think they were tracking with the A/C on. Most guys that track have the common sense to turn it off, especially in a car that is prone to overheating. Not that it should happen anyway, it's nuts to have electric powersteering cut off for any reason.
I understand what you mean and you aren't wrong. I hope you didn't take my reply the wrong way, I just said that because I thought it was supposed to be a positive thread, but that's ok. I am glad that you actually provide data when anything happens with your car and I think you should continue doing so (when you decide to track the car again).
Old 08-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a new lead on an oil cooler? Why is it taking so long to make one? Seems like this is in high demand
Old 08-13-2015, 02:59 PM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Starting Over: C7 Z06 Overheating Issues

Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucansam
Does anyone have a new lead on an oil cooler? Why is it taking so long to make one? Seems like this is in high demand
Ben at WeaponX Motorsports has been working on one for the M7 cars. There's a thread on it.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
Ben at WeaponX Motorsports has been working on one for the M7 cars. There's a thread on it.

I dismissed the thread because I thought people were finding placement flaws. I check it out again. Thanks
Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks like this thread is going the way of the mega merge. I am going to post another overheating issue, my 3rd one for PS. Other one is on Mega merge. haven't seen anymore posts regarding overheats there. Last time I tracked the car I did the prep by the book, exactly they way GM says to do it. This time I did not run AC at all and went to 20/80 mix coolant/water. Didn't make a difference except maybe a couple of laps before it overheated
I was not pushing the car hard, its a very short track and in fairness there are 13 turns in .9 miles. But I know of many public road where I live that have that many turns in a similar distance. I reported this a couple of weeks ago, same track, 97 degrees and engine and PS over heated but couldn't get a picture.. This time I got pics. Not great ones, but best I could. Today as follows:
Ambient air 96degrees
Humidity 25%
Altitude 4500ft
Grand junction raceway

I was short shifting the car or it would have overheated too. water temps close to 265 degrees and oil up to 285 so I backed off. As you can see I got the PS warning at lower temps. What is the consensus at this point? they over heat if driven hard and we are screwed? I should have run it a little harder and got another engine over heat with pic to start building a case. 4 times is lemon law in Colorado. Love the car on the road and day to day, but I don't push the car very hard maybe 6/10-7/10 at track today? Lots of time going slow trying to hit the exact line.
Looking at recent posts, it looks like overheating is a given in many track scenarios. IS everyone resigned to that situation and looking at different radiators etc to make this car work? Are we stuck? Does GM give any indication of dealing with this?.....bob noob
Old 08-14-2015, 02:40 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

^^^^^^

Brutal.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:00 AM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Originally Posted by rsilver
Looks like this thread is going the way of the mega merge. I am going to post another overheating issue, my 3rd one for PS. Other one is on Mega merge. haven't seen anymore posts regarding overheats there. Last time I tracked the car I did the prep by the book, exactly they way GM says to do it. This time I did not run AC at all and went to 20/80 mix coolant/water. Didn't make a difference except maybe a couple of laps before it overheated
I was not pushing the car hard, its a very short track and in fairness there are 13 turns in .9 miles. But I know of many public road where I live that have that many turns in a similar distance. I reported this a couple of weeks ago, same track, 97 degrees and engine and PS over heated but couldn't get a picture.. This time I got pics. Not great ones, but best I could. Today as follows:
Ambient air 96degrees
Humidity 25%
Altitude 4500ft
Grand junction raceway

I was short shifting the car or it would have overheated too. water temps close to 265 degrees and oil up to 285 so I backed off. As you can see I got the PS warning at lower temps. What is the consensus at this point? they over heat if driven hard and we are screwed? I should have run it a little harder and got another engine over heat with pic to start building a case. 4 times is lemon law in Colorado. Love the car on the road and day to day, but I don't push the car very hard maybe 6/10-7/10 at track today? Lots of time going slow trying to hit the exact line.
Looking at recent posts, it looks like overheating is a given in many track scenarios. IS everyone resigned to that situation and looking at different radiators etc to make this car work? Are we stuck? Does GM give any indication of dealing with this?.....bob noob

What setting do you have your steering set on? I keep mine on race and have no issues. A buddy of mine had his on sport and has issues all the time
Old 08-14-2015, 07:37 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Not that it should happen anyway, it's nuts to have electric powersteering cut off for any reason.

You are right and the NHTSA agrees with you. They forced Ford to recall a large number of vehicles for a software change for this very reason. Electric PS that would cut out at high temp. Revised software shows a warning indication but does not shut it off.

The steering should protect the driver at all cost, never shut down a vehicle control system to protect itself.

I think folks that have experienced PS shutdown, especially if it has happened on twisty public roads, need to report this to the NHTSA. They take these reports seriously and can effect a fix from GM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:33 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Ambient air 96degrees
Humidity 25%
Altitude 4500ft
Grand junction raceway

In the "An optional cooling pack for C7 (track use or other)" question on the Ask Tadge forum, Tadge admitted there have been some build quality issues:
"We have discussed the Z06 cooling robustness in this space before and are very concerned about what some customers are experiencing. We have built over 8,000 Z06's so far with the vast majority of them having no cooling issues. We are working to gather data from customers (some of whom may have posted here) who have concerns and are in the process of sorting through that. We have found a few build issues, a few prep issues, and some vehicle mods that have hurt cooling performance. An example of a build issue would be an improper bleed of the intercooler circuit. Even a small air bubble can impact performance."

Perhaps yours' is one of the build issues Bring it to the dealer you bought it from, show them Tadge's admission and do not take no for an answer.

Hate to read a story like this so best of luck resolving it.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:21 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Ambient air 96degrees
Humidity 25%
Altitude 4500ft
Grand junction raceway

Have you thought about doing SBC and a Stick's PS mod that gets more air flow over the PS electric motor? Takes about 10 minutes when you have the parts ready to go, which cost about $5!!
Bish

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Over: C7 Z06 Overheating Issues

Old 08-15-2015, 10:34 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Can someone post the link to thePS modification?
Old 08-15-2015, 10:38 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by urslooow
Can someone post the link to thePS modification?
Bump for the link
Old 08-15-2015, 11:35 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Have you thought about doing SBC and a Stick's PS mod that gets more air flow over the PS electric motor? Takes about 10 minutes when you have the parts ready to go, which cost about $5!!
Bish
Hi Bish, thats the next step. When I was last under the car it looked pretty easy to do and ingenious! To be fair, the course I ran is slow and tight so one is not going to get a lot of air through the radiator, but anything would help. I have overheated engine and PS numerous times both times I was there. driving smoother lines on that course helps. Other corvettes run it with no problems according to the track manager and the western colorado corvette club races there a couple of times a year so its not all the track but it contributes. I am documenting these problems with a dealer that is willing to help me. My dealer closed 2 months after I bought the car. Double wammy! bob noob

Quick Reply: Starting Over: C7 Z06 Overheating Issues