C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Noob question on draining radiator coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:44 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Noob question on draining radiator coolant

Man I hate to ask this, total noob question and I did search it, but I am trying to drain out radiator coolant to go to the 20/80 mix coolant/water. I found the white drain plug on the drivers side at the bottom of the radiator. I can open it but it will drain all over the the brackets at the bottom and who knows where. Its a Zo7 stage 3 aero. Do you take all those panels off (One has a rivet on it) to catch the fluid? Even ft you do it looks like a lot of fluid will get caught on the brackets at the bottom of the radiator. Maybe that is to be expected but I am trying to avoid a mess on my floor and the car. Is there a trick to catching the fluid and what do you have to remove beside the drain plug?. bob noob

Last edited by rsilver; 08-12-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-12-2015, 05:16 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilver
Man I hate to ask this, total noob question and I did search it, but I am trying to drain out radiator coolant to go to the 20/80 mix coolant/water. I found the white drain plug on the drivers side at the bottom of the radiator. I can open it but it will drain all over the the brackets at the bottom and who knows where. Its a Zo7 stage 3 aero. Do you take all those panels off (One has a rivet on it) to catch the fluid? Even ft you do it looks like a lot of fluid will get caught on the brackets at the bottom of the radiator. Maybe that is to be expected but I am trying to avoid a mess on my floor and the car. Is there a trick to catching the fluid and what do you have to remove beside the drain plug?. bob noob
Have not done it on a C7 or C7 Z06.

Is there room to wedge a very small funnel with a drain hose attached?
If so this would solve your issue.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:47 PM
rsilver
Racer

Thanks dar1961, I just took the panels down part way and the fluid comes out pretty clean on the back side of the radiator support? in a steady stream. Not much mess. Probably didn't need to take all the panels off, but I got a good look at oil cooler and the bottle that holds intercooler fluid but I still cant see where you hook up to purge air from that system but thats another story. We will see how tough it is to get those panels to line up...........bob nooob
Old 08-12-2015, 07:00 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by rsilver
Thanks dar1961, I just took the panels down part way and the fluid comes out pretty clean on the back side of the radiator support? in a steady stream. Not much mess. Probably didn't need to take all the panels off, but I got a good look at oil cooler and the bottle that holds intercooler fluid but I still cant see where you hook up to purge air from that system but thats another story. We will see how tough it is to get those panels to line up...........bob nooob
I'll bet yours is an A8. What you saw was the tranny cooler.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 AM
rsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by *C7*
I'll bet yours is an A8. What you saw was the tranny cooler.
*C7*, thanks for that. Sh*t, Then I went looking for the Oil cooler. No wonder everything overheats. Different thread, thanks for calling that to my attention. I can't believe where they put things.!

I got no one to blame but myself, I didn't do the research. Believed all the marketing crap...............bob noob

Get notified of new replies

To Noob question on draining radiator coolant

Quick Reply: Noob question on draining radiator coolant