C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Any more thoughts on leaving track alignment for street

Old 08-23-2015, 03:28 AM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Any more thoughts on leaving track alignment for street

Last posts I could find on this were in May. Just curious if anyone has put some miles on the street with the track alignment and how did the tires wear? I read that some think track alignment is ok for street and won't wear your tires that bad.
If I wanted to keep changing the alignment, its a long way (2hrs) and expensive. I read the suggestion that setting camber somewhere in between like -1.7 instead of -2.0. may be a good compromise, but others have said that running full track alignment on the street isn't that bad on wear (inside). Also, does more negative camber make if difficult to drive uneven crowned two lane roads? The stock specs work very well for that. Any new thoughts on track alignment for the street? thanks............bob
Old 08-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I too am thinking of leaving it in track alignment and am curious to see what others have experienced.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:57 AM
davester
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

I set mine to -2.0 front and rear a couple of weeks ago and intend to leave it that way. 3-4 track weekends per year and less than 5,000 street mile per year anticipated (2,000 at this time). Have not noticed any negative aspects RE uneven surfaces, straight line tracking on highway, etc. Only have couple hundred miles on alignment so far so can't comment on tire wear. None showing so far.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:07 AM
JTSZ07
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Z07 tires were wearing very fast! all street driving no hard turns! I had Stacek chevy in Wheeling IL (very Experienced corvette dealer) same guy doing corvette alignments for 20 years He said my car was set up for aggressive track and that's why the tires were wearing so quick (only 2300 miles) he then gave me a street alignment test drove 3 times to be sure all was good.. tires should last much longer now? I dont track my car so this is a good idea if not tracking your car $$$ my new alighnment seems great no pulling stays straight as a arrow!
Old 08-23-2015, 11:13 AM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I have mine set to -1.3 on all wheels for road usage. I do not track my car but, most of my driving is spirited winding, mountain roads. With my other cars that I've owned for longer years, I had my cambers similarly at -1.3 and -1.4 and got perfect wear out of them across the full thread. Again, that is by doing mostly winding road driving.

-1.7 is not considered extreme for the road, particularly for the front. For the wider rears -1.7 may show some extra wear for the inside edges. I would probably go -1.3 for the rears. Unless you track a LOT and drive very competitively, these values should work for you quite well.

Also, the camber should not give you any issues with the road conditions you describe.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:02 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

100 bucks for alignment or over 2000 for tires hmm.
z51vett
Doug
Old 08-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm thinking about setting mine to track alignment... the difference was immediately noticeable on the Spring Mountain cars. The car feels more responsive and just wants to turn with track alignment. I liked it.

The inside of the PSS tires are harder rubber than the outside, so perhaps the wear issue won't be that bad?
Old 08-23-2015, 01:17 PM
rsilver
Racer

Great comments from all. Sounds like a mixed bag.
JTSZ07, do you have the cup 2 tires on for street? They will wear very quickly, I have read here they are good for about 5K max on street.

Davester, I expect I will do similar, 3-4 track days/yr and about 5K on the road give or take. Let us know how you do as you get some miles on the street.

AXR6, I drive like you on the street here in colorado. So a compromise might work. I believe Bish suggested in May Post -1.7front/-1.5 rear so if I do a compromise might try somewhere in that range.

No doubt, best to do track alignment and then switch back after each track day, but I don't have access to anyone within 2 hours plus it takes another hour to get it done if they aren't busy. so each track day would cost me a day just to get alignments done. I can't get it done here for $100.No doubt they will wear very fast on the track if you DON'T to it!

I have to take car to dealer anyway for dead USB ports, and power steering overheats and engine overheats so might get track alignment done and see what happens. I know they won't be able to help me on the over heat stuff, but i am going to keep reporting it, and its not only on the track thanks all. ....bob

Last edited by rsilver; 08-23-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: content
Old 08-23-2015, 03:22 PM
rwillitt
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I have mine at -1.7 and with 6100 miles over 7 months on PSC2's and 1 track day. Just got my PSS's in, the cup's still had a bit of life in them, probably could have done another track day. I'm pretty easy on them with street driving but the alignment hasn't seemed to do too much damage with street driving.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:47 PM
myBailey07
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilver
Last posts I could find on this were in May. Just curious if anyone has put some miles on the street with the track alignment and how did the tires wear? I read that some think track alignment is ok for street and won't wear your tires that bad.
If I wanted to keep changing the alignment, its a long way (2hrs) and expensive. I read the suggestion that setting camber somewhere in between like -1.7 instead of -2.0. may be a good compromise, but others have said that running full track alignment on the street isn't that bad on wear (inside). Also, does more negative camber make if difficult to drive uneven crowned two lane roads? The stock specs work very well for that. Any new thoughts on track alignment for the street? thanks............bob
I leave mine in track alignment all the time. I have about 7000 street miles that way on the car. It handles fine on the street, but does feel quite a bit more "twitchy" and will follow street camber more. It's not a big deal though and you get used to it real fast.

I use the Cups and have not noticed street wear to be a big deal. The track weekends destroy the tires and especially the outer sides a lot faster than the effect of the increased camber on the tire street wear.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 AM
rsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by myBailey07
I leave mine in track alignment all the time. I have about 7000 street miles that way on the car. It handles fine on the street, but does feel quite a bit more "twitchy" and will follow street camber more. It's not a big deal though and you get used to it real fast.

I use the Cups and have not noticed street wear to be a big deal. The track weekends destroy the tires and especially the outer sides a lot faster than the effect of the increased camber on the tire street wear.
Good to hear a number have gotten over 5K on the cups. Better to hear the wear is with running track alignment. Thanks again to everyone for all the input, sounds like its the way to go if your doing the track and a considerable amount of street driving.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 AM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Tire wear with specified track alignment

I just had the dealer replace my brake fluid with Wilwood 600 for upcoming track days. I have a 2016 Z06 and had dealer do a track alignment at 3600 miles. I did 2 road course dates and 1 track day on the Tri-oval of Pocono Raceway. car has 5900 miles on it and the front tires are COOKED. so, the track alignment per the manual was kept on the car for just 3 track dates and around 2200 street miles and the steel belt is exposed on the inside of both tires. (see pics). Replacing tires tomorrow before Pocono on Labor day and have decided to go back to regular street alignment. I can deal with replacing tires once a season but every 3000 miles? Plus, Chevy charges $250 for an alignment because they claim it takes more work and had to remove some washers from the upper control arms.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:00 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Depends on how much driving you're doing. I personally keep the track alignment on (-2 camber front, -2 camber rear) I've had my C7 since Feb '16 and it has 4,600 miles. 1,000 of which are track miles. I only ever drive it on the weekends to car related events and the occasional joy ride. Inside of the tires look fine, but again I'm not putting a ton of miles on it. If it is your daily driver or you drive 8,000+ miles a year then you may consider reverting the alignment, especially if you do not do many track events.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:08 AM
goshendad
Racer

i will have to get the alignment checked then. I drive the car HARD on the track but would have ASSumed the tires would last a little longer than, essentially, 2300 miles (300 on track and 2000 street). I might use the PFadt Performance numbers which is middle ground between stock alignment and track alignment.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad

I just had the dealer replace my brake fluid with Wilwood 600 for upcoming track days. I have a 2016 Z06 and had dealer do a track alignment at 3600 miles. I did 2 road course dates and 1 track day on the Tri-oval of Pocono Raceway. car has 5900 miles on it and the front tires are COOKED. so, the track alignment per the manual was kept on the car for just 3 track dates and around 2200 street miles and the steel belt is exposed on the inside of both tires. (see pics). Replacing tires tomorrow before Pocono on Labor day and have decided to go back to regular street alignment. I can deal with replacing tires once a season but every 3000 miles? Plus, Chevy charges $250 for an alignment because they claim it takes more work and had to remove some washers from the upper control arms.
By the way did you have the alignment set with front toe out? Toe out with high negative camber numbers will kill tires quickly. Better to sacrifice some turn in and get better tire wear.

Bill
Old 09-01-2016, 07:50 AM
goshendad
Racer

Default tires

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
By the way did you have the alignment set with front toe out? Toe out with high negative camber numbers will kill tires quickly. Better to sacrifice some turn in and get better tire wear.

Bill
No, .05 degrees toe in per manual. ASSuming dealer was accurate. Getting alignment done by high performance shop. It will be interesting what they find.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The cars handle better, even on the street. with a track-ish alignment.

It really depends on your usage. If you get to the end of your tire life and the tires wore pretty evenly overall with street/ track/ canyon then your alignment was a great compromise for your application.

If your tires are corded on the inside and still have tread on the outside, well you either need to adjust your alignment for street usage or drive faster at the track.

I get pretty even wear doing a few track days but mostly straight line street driving. Toyo R888s, about 5K miles, running -2.1 F and -1.6 Rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Any more thoughts on leaving track alignment for street

Old 09-01-2016, 11:09 AM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The cars handle better, even on the street. with a track-ish alignment.

It really depends on your usage. If you get to the end of your tire life and the tires wore pretty evenly overall with street/ track/ canyon then your alignment was a great compromise for your application.

If your tires are corded on the inside and still have tread on the outside, well you either need to adjust your alignment for street usage or drive faster at the track.

I get pretty even wear doing a few track days but mostly straight line street driving. Toyo R888s, about 5K miles, running -2.1 F and -1.6 Rear.
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:12 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 479 Posts

I've found that I always wear out the outside of the tires even on my street driven cars. So...

I just put a more aggressive alignment on the car and intend to street and track drive it. Decided on an in-betwee of -1.5deg camber all around, 0.05 toe in front and rear. Camber in the back should now be +0.8 assuming they did it correctly.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:14 PM
HMDS
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

I left the track alignment on and with one track day and 5200 miles i was into the wear bars with no cording and actually the outsides i think were more worn than the insides. PSC2s. recommended minimal toe in 0.5 and -2.0 front camber -1.7 rear camber with 0.8 rear caster from memory.

I think I couldve taken them to 6500ish but have been traveling with my kids a bunch long didstance so was a sissy.

I think half the tread is below the wear bar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any more thoughts on leaving track alignment for street