C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2015 C&D Lightning Lap

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by c6bound
I know I'm not alone on this, but the only thing "hilarious" here is your pathetic, child-like obsession with hating the C7 Z!
He really is a pathetic individual. I've never seen someone consume their time over the course of 3 years posting almost daily negative comments about a vehicle they have absolutely no intention of purchasing. Behavior as such goes beyond simple trolling.. he has some type of mental fascination with berating the C7 both Stingray & Z06.
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (11-16-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 02:09 PM
AdvanSuper
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what were the major changes if any between the 2007 and 2011 C6Z or did they just have an unlisted package on the 2011?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:13 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 03QuicksilverZ06
His Z07 doesn't even look bad... In my opinion, there isn't a single generation of Corvettes that looks bad.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default More math

The Z07 beat the Nismo by 4.8 seconds at VIR. C&D driver.

The Nismo, with its best driver puts down a 7:08.68 at the Ring. Assuming Jim can drive the Z07 as well as the Nismo team driver at the Ring, what does the math say? The Ring is 14.2 miles vs. 4.1 miles for VIR.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 09-06-2015, 02:44 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech

The Nismo, with its best driver puts down a 7:08.68 at the Ring. Assuming Jim can drive the Z07 as well as the Nismo team driver at the Ring, what does the math say? The Ring is 14.2 miles vs. 4.1 miles for VIR.
Jim,

The math says under 7 minutes. Given what has happened at VIR, under 7 minutes at the Ring would not be surprising!
Old 09-06-2015, 03:34 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
For someone who is deeply involved in the performance aspects of Corvettes, I see you make a lot of silly comments like this. It is almost like there are two different people that post with your account.

The VIR lap with the Porsche 918 was driven by an average skilled magazine writer. Not a pro, not a Porsche employee. You simply cannot compare that time with Jim Mero's skill level. Jim is a sensational driver, far above "average". He also happens to have more seat time racing street legal Corvettes than ANY other person on GM's payroll. Fact.

Put a Porsche driver in the 918, and a GM driver in the Z06. Then, and only then, will you see how they actually stack up. It simply isn't logical to claim the car itself is better, when the people behind the steering wheels vary so much in skill level.

I take my stock 2014 Camaro SS 1LE out on track days, and pass ACR's, GT-3s, Z06's, ZR1's and all sorts of stuff that should have no problem beating my Camaro. Does that mean the Camaro is better, or faster than those others? Nope. Same thing here applies.
I think the point he was trying to drive home is even with the magazine drivers in both cars the Z06 came statistically close to the 918 hyper car. Close enough to where it is within reason to have a discussion as to which is actually faster in the right drivers hands.

Bottom line is regardless who was at the wheel the Z06 put down a better time at VIR. Porsche is welcome to best it.

After all that's what the Europeans have told us about their Ring times for years.
And as far as I know there aren't any speed limits being imposed at VIR.
So they can challenge Mero's time anytime they like.

Until then we have to speculate if any of them can actually best the Z06 at VIR. Surely they will but until its done the Z06 is king at VIR.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The Lightning Lap Nismo was not the N-Attack version. That version is pretty much a phantom "cheat" model of the Nismo, and I've never heard of any magazine or source actually testing it or it being available to consumers. Nonetheless, it's not the same car.

I love the Z, but a low 7 minute time is much more realistic than breaking 7 minutes. I think it certainly could with a big wing and a little more power, but totally stock I really don't think it's going to happen even in ideal conditions.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:27 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Flyboy22
The Lightning Lap Nismo was not the N-Attack version. That version is pretty much a phantom "cheat" model of the Nismo, and I've never heard of any magazine or source actually testing it or it being available to consumers. Nonetheless, it's not the same car.

I love the Z, but a low 7 minute time is much more realistic than breaking 7 minutes. I think it certainly could with a big wing and a little more power, but totally stock I really don't think it's going to happen even in ideal conditions.
I agree. I suspect between 7:04 and 7:09 is more realistic.
Admittedly with Mero's VIR time I am not sure what to expect now.
This car never ceases to amaze me.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:08 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpgt
Just wondering what a Callaway could do. Take the fast lap title away from the 918 is a good bet!
That would be interesting...
Old 09-06-2015, 05:47 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default The RingHammer!

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Proof!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 09-06-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:54 PM
n_coming
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
I think it could make 1.5 seconds at vir due to more power and 0 cooling issues, especially if it's in a little bit cooler temperatures. What do you guys think. Can the callaway do it, or will it need a little weight shedding and/or aero upgrades?
Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

How do you know? The repair and tires make a HUGE difference. I would bet the ZR1 might just with equal factors...

Glad to see the Z doing well.

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Deal with it. The new Z06 is faster around a track. Still love the ZR1 but the new Z faster and better.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:36 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Don't have to speculate!

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Surely they will but until its done the Z06 is king at VIR.
NO real mass produced car has really even beaten the ZR1 there!
Old 09-06-2015, 08:43 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Dude you seem cool and level headed but see post 169 as well.
Why do you spend more time in this section than the C6 section? You have no interest in a new generation corvette. So why clutter up this section with your comments, which contribute nothing?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:01 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

As has been pointed out numerous times, the NISMO that ran the Ring was the N-Spec w/ $80k in mods over the regular NISMO that was run at VIR. Making a comparison of the times is ridiculous.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:47 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
This forum is so freaking frustrating. Why can't we just celebrate what the C7Z did? I'm amazed that even this topic can turn into a bitching session. You guys need to really get over yourselves. Many of you claim to be businessmen and such, but conduct yourselves like children.
Can I get an amen?!
Old 09-07-2015, 12:30 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Great time by the Z06! Although not the apples to apples you would get with say Pobst driving them all. I'm quite surprised by how weak the GT3 time is. Just not enough power.

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Some how I figured this would be the case.
Next stop Laguna...to smash the ZR1 and Viper TAs times...
I wish the Viper ACR would get out there and set some lap times. Not with some random magazine noob, but with a pro.

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
GM had choosen the M7 for a reason. It wasn't because the A8 was faster.
I find the trend with auto apologists funny. Like the A8 would be faster. GM must "mistakenly" keep giving the track event's M7 cars. Oh wait, the M7 is the better track car..

Originally Posted by NineBall
For someone who is deeply involved in the performance aspects of Corvettes, I see you make a lot of silly comments like this. It is almost like there are two different people that post with your account.

The VIR lap with the Porsche 918 was driven by an average skilled magazine writer. Not a pro, not a Porsche employee. You simply cannot compare that time with Jim Mero's skill level. Jim is a sensational driver, far above "average". He also happens to have more seat time racing street legal Corvettes than ANY other person on GM's payroll. Fact.

Put a Porsche driver in the 918, and a GM driver in the Z06. Then, and only then, will you see how they actually stack up. It simply isn't logical to claim the car itself is better, when the people behind the steering wheels vary so much in skill level.

I take my stock 2014 Camaro SS 1LE out on track days, and pass ACR's, GT-3s, Z06's, ZR1's and all sorts of stuff that should have no problem beating my Camaro. Does that mean the Camaro is better, or faster than those others? Nope. Same thing here applies.
It's amazing how many people don't realize this. Like random track times posted on the internet all the way from noob magazine drivers up to pro's are all directly equal and comparable. Not to mention the changes in tracks over the years. Context people, context...

I agree. I suspect between 7:04 and 7:09 is more realistic.
Admittedly with Mero's VIR time I am not sure what to expect now.
This car never ceases to amaze me.
I would be surprised if it does it under 7:10. GM not releasing the 'ring/time video only strengthens the weaker time figure, not enhances it.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 C&D Lightning Lap

Old 09-07-2015, 05:40 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
Great time by the Z06! Although not the apples to apples you would get with say Pobst driving them all. I'm quite surprised by how weak the GT3 time is. Just not enough power.

I would be surprised if it does it under 7:10. GM not releasing the 'ring/time video only strengthens the weaker time figure, not enhances it.
Wouldn't be the first time you were surprised by this Z06 would it?

The absence of a Ring time neither strengthens or enhances any time as you suggest. The only thing it can strengthen is speculation.

The absence of data. The absence of proof, has never changed anything and certainly doesn't change the truth.

All it means is there isn't concrete proof so we really don't know.
So it gives hope that it can't or that it can, depending on YOUR wishes.

However the demonstrated VIR times indicate the Z06 MAY be quicker at the Ring than we predicted .

The Viper ACR ran at the Ring. As far as I know they haven't released a time for it yet either? Are we to conclude that it didn't do well because we don't have a time yet?

Of course not. And lets say the ACR posted a phenomenal time (which I know it will.) Would you invalidate its time simply because it wasn't done by the same driver of the 918 or Z06?

Of course you wouldn't.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I am finding the conspiracy theory with Porsche paying off GM to bury the time quite intriguing. Or is it true that the Ring is banning all manufacturers from posting times now? If so, was it Porsche that demanded this?

Back in the fall of 2014, Tadge said the crash of the the Z at the Ring was felt to be the result of liquid debris on the track. Who was ahead of the Z in that run?? Could it have been a Porsche?? Sabotage????

Mmmmmmm......very interesting to speculate... I see a movie in the making.

Last edited by Babaron; 09-07-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 2015 C&D Lightning Lap

Originally Posted by Babaron
I am finding the conspiracy theory with Porsche paying off GM to bury the time quite intriguing.
Wouldn't be the first time you were surprised by this Z06 would it?

The absence of a Ring time neither strengthens or enhances any time as you suggest. The only thing it can strengthen is speculation.

The absence of data. The absence of proof, has never changed anything and certainly doesn't change the truth.

All it means is there isn't concrete proof so we really don't know.
So it gives hope that it can't or that it can, depending on YOUR wishes.

However the demonstrated VIR times indicate the Z06 MAY be quicker at the Ring than we predicted .

The Viper ACR ran at the Ring. As far as I know they haven't released a time for it yet either? Are we to conclude that it didn't do well because we don't have a time yet?

Of course not. And lets say the ACR posted a phenomenal time (which I know it will.) Would you invalidate its time simply because it wasn't done by the same driver of the 918 or Z06?

Of course you wouldn't.
It's pretty silly, isn't it? GM has already said that the time has been set and won't be released until the restrictions are lifted... Until then, we won't hear a peep from the Viper or Corvette team.

Quick Reply: 2015 C&D Lightning Lap