C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Does the Nürburgring even matter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:12 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ElCid79
I agree completely,

Should be an easy ask tadge to be answered...

In fact...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ring-time.html
Ummm....

DO THE MATH!!!!!
Old 09-23-2015, 05:34 AM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I agree completely,

In fact...

Thank you.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:09 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I love this car and for every one negative comment there are hundreds of positive ones. Haters will continue to hate and be jealous and loyalists will continue to make excuses. Lighting Lap is a prime example.

With that said, does is really matter what the Z06 runs at the ring? Believe me, I want to know, but no matter the time ran, the haters will still hate and the homers will still make excuses.

Until then, I will continue to enjoy this Awesome vehicle.

Your thoughts?

Bragging rights!
Old 09-23-2015, 01:10 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Ummm....

DO THE MATH!!!!!

Do the math? Little Johnny can't even read much less do the math. Oh, the benefits of a public education!
Old 09-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Tadge is said to be pleased with the Ring time but he must feel owners would not be or he would have released it. It speaks to everything about the car and culture at GM. They're satisfied building to a price point. Has the car met it's other objectives? Some yes, but lighter weight? No. Dual clutch tranny? No. Significant sales in Europe? No. Sales to a younger demographic? Have you look at the average age stats? Same old owners, same old GM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:39 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree completely,

In fact...

Old 09-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree completely,

In fact...

As has been stated multiple times: We're not allowed to waste our one-question-a-month allotment on such a ridiculous question.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:38 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Its going to go to a vote. If enough people are interested it will win. If not, it wont. "Ask Tadge" is not some amazing, rare thing. It happens every month, and if people want this question answered, then it will happen. Go vote for the one you want, but don't get all pissy because someone added it to the ballot. If it looses, it looses, if it wins it wins. I don't care what question is asked honestly, because all of the questions I truly have, have been answered.

As per doing the math, there are hundreds of reasons that GM may not be releasing the results yet. The fact remains that the claimed they were coming and that he was happy with the results. Maybe they are planning on sending a 2016 or a 2017 to the ring, with some redesigns, that will make it that much faster. Maybe they are waiting until another competitor posts their time in order to assure they have them bested. The reality is, who knows. "Doing the math" is about as useless of a statement as anyone can make.

Frankly, I could not care less about ring time from a practical standpoint.

I already have one in my garage. And frankly, I don't intend to put it on a boat to germany in the near future.

Also, it sure looks to me like they have attracted the younger crowd with this car. 90% of the people that come up to talk to me about this car are in their teens through 40s. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of "more senior" citizens that have approached me to talk about it. With that said, I am 32 years old. I bought one. I know of a ton more people who would love to own one, but can't afford it right now. But maybe when they are 60 they can.

What I find particularly comical though, is how rampant so many of your ego's are on this forum. Get a freaking life, this is a hobby. Something that is meant to be fun.

Over on the C3 forum people treat each other with respect, and camaraderie. Lighten up....
Old 09-24-2015, 08:08 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default What matters!

Frankly, I could not care less about ring time from a practical standpoint.
Laguna Seca?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

That's a big let down. Agreed.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:53 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default The numbers matter, absolutely!

With all the variables those bottom line numbers are the cake!

Argue if you will if those numbers are good it will fall on deaf ears!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:01 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Not to revive a ghost but BMW posted a ring time for the new M2 today.... 7:58.... Hmmmmm...
Old 10-15-2015, 11:21 PM
myBailey07
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

In the big scheme of things it really does not matter, and if there was no other systemic issues with the car it also probably would have been completely irrelevant too.

However, in my opinion, in many people's minds, including my own, it plays into the negative trend of GM starting off by claiming that this is the "most track capable" corvette ever, and then when the systemic track issues start happening all you get is deafening silence. One sure way to back up a "track capable" claim is to put your money where your mouth is and post ring times and video. Again, deafening silence is all you get.

All we see is GM backing up from this claim and it now just becoming "most capable corvette" ever. By itself it is no big deal, but combined with the other track issues it is just another data point in GM not putting their money where there mouth is (or rather used to be)

Just my opinion....
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Not to revive a ghost but BMW posted a ring time for the new M2 today.... 7:58.... Hmmmmm...

Originally Posted by myBailey07
In the big scheme of things it really does not matter, and if there was no other systemic issues with the car it also probably would have been completely irrelevant too.

However, in my opinion, in many people's minds, including my own, it plays into the negative trend of GM starting off by claiming that this is the "most track capable" corvette ever, and then when the systemic track issues start happening all you get is deafening silence. One sure way to back up a "track capable" claim is to put your money where your mouth is and post ring times and video. Again, deafening silence is all you get.

All we see is GM backing up from this claim and it now just becoming "most capable corvette" ever. By itself it is no big deal, but combined with the other track issues it is just another data point in GM not putting their money where there mouth is (or rather used to be)

Just my opinion....
good points
Old 10-20-2015, 10:41 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx

Old 10-20-2015, 11:16 AM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I love this car and for every one negative comment there are hundreds of positive ones. Haters will continue to hate and be jealous and loyalists will continue to make excuses. Lighting Lap is a prime example.

With that said, does is really matter what the Z06 runs at the ring? Believe me, I want to know, but no matter the time ran, the haters will still hate and the homers will still make excuses.

Until then, I will continue to enjoy this Awesome vehicle.

Your thoughts?
Its sells magazines.

And thus helps sell cars. (bragging rights)

So for the OEM's, guess its a good thing.

I personally enjoy the Z-28, in the "low flight mode" that they had to program into the car, just to help with trips to the ring. Will I ever need to use the "low flight mode"...nope, but the Z-28 is an amazing car to drive, and its just kinda fun to BRAG, that the car is programed for LFM.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:05 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Credit where credit is due! One of the best in a long time.

Get notified of new replies

To Does the Nürburgring even matter?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:10 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Asking if the Nurburgring matters is like asking if Corvette Racing in the Tudor series matters. To many on this forum...they've never watched a race, seen the C7R's run, etc. That program comes at great expense, and to this point I think many have been "taught" by GM that there is a technology transfer. With Nuerburgring it's about the international stage, more than it's about selling cars to people on this forum. Running a C7R in the WEC is also about the international stage...the GT3 Callaway Corvette...international stage. This is the move GM is making with the Cadillac and the Corvette...international recognition as a true performance brand....digging into the pockets of Merc, BMW, Porsche and Audi...market share abroad.

The Nurburgring matters, and it's PR value will be extracted at Detroit NAIAS in January...that's been my running prediction. It's the "North American International Auto Show"...the one place you can debut something and guarantee the world sees it.

Generally we see records immediately announced, but I think that GM saw the opportunity of the Ring restricting times as one they could capitalize on. Knowing that the ACR can't get out there until 2016 for a potential record, they could hold the information as an "American Sports car record" until NAIAS. Certainly, once the track is altered, times will fall as a result. They are going to remove the hump where the GTR backflipped, and that was a spot where faster cars had to lift and decel quite a bit. Not to mention, the ACR has huge aero...it's GOING to be faster around the ring than the Z06. The key is though, that the current Z06 beat the former ACR..which ALSO had huge aero. Evidence again that GM's technology bundle in the Z06 can outperform the simple Viper approach to putting a racecar on the street.

Last edited by RC000E; 10-21-2015 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
four0nefive (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 12:30 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Asking if the Nurburgring matters is like asking if Corvette Racing in the Tudor series matters. To many on this forum...they've never watched a race, seen the C7R's run, etc. That program comes at great expense, and to this point I think many have been "taught" by GM that there is a technology transfer. With Nuerburgring it's about the international stage, more than it's about selling cars to people on this forum. Running a C7R in the WEC is also about the international stage...the GT3 Callaway Corvette...international stage. This is the move GM is making with the Cadillac and the Corvette...international recognition as a true performance brand....digging into the pockets of Merc, BMW, Porsche and Audi...market share abroad.

The Nurburgring matters, and it's PR value will be extracted at Detroit NAIAS in January...that's been my running prediction. It's the "North American International Auto Show"...the one place you can debut something and guarantee the world sees it.

Generally we see records immediately announced, but I think that GM saw the opportunity of the Ring restricting times as one they could capitalize on. Knowing that the ACR can't get out there until 2016 for a potential record, they could hold the information as an "American Sports car record" until NAIAS. Certainly, once the track is altered, times will fall as a result. They are going to remove the hump where the GTR backflipped, and that was a spot where faster cars had to lift and decel quite a bit. Not to mention, the ACR has huge aero...it's GOING to be faster around the ring than the Z06. The key is though, that the current Z06 beat the former ACR..which ALSO had huge aero. Evidence again that GM's technology bundle in the Z06 can outperform the simple Viper approach to putting a racecar on the street.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:40 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

The most interesting part is, doing runs after the changes to the Ring will almost invalidate the record for many people. The Z06 could potentially have the fastest American sports car record to have EVER lapped the ring before it was altered. The Ring had been altered over the years slightly, but during this period of the past 20 yrs it hasn't. This change will mark the end of an era, and the Z06 will be at the top of it...pretty crafty...

Quick Reply: Does the Nürburgring even matter?