C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: Which one do you think will win R&T's PCOTY?
Mercedes-AMG GT S
6.39%
Porsche Cayman GT4
11.65%
Ferrari 488 GTB
10.53%
Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R
12.41%
Dodge Viper ACR
11.28%
Bentley Continental GT3R
0.38%
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
46.24%
Cadillac ATS-V
1.13%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Road & Track - Performance Car of the Year... C7 Z is in the lineup

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Nope....He just took one of the magazine drivers out for a session to show what the car could to if you trust the aero. His time was not used for the comparison.
Yes, in this case "the boss man" was Larry Webster the RT Test editor. His best time was used for all the cars.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:46 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
So the Z06 posted a time as fast the ACR. Crazy!!
That's because THIS "other car" comparo gets to stay here and the press release on the ACR's 13 track records went to the land of the misfit posts. The numbers are a bit different there.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

[QUOTE=CPhelps;1590882048]The LT1 rating in the Camaro SS at 455 matches the C7 without NPP though, right? The NPP is what boosts the LT1 up to 460, iirc.

Many German manufacturers test to the ECE standard which is more stringent and requires running longer, and taking an average of the power produced. The longer running adds more heat which pulls the numbers down some, so when they are then dyno tested with a quick pull here and corrected to SAE, it seems like they are "underrated".

The ACR was faster. I'm impressed the C7 Z07 was as close as it was, but that doesn't take anything away from the ACR being a straight up beast on the track.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes... the ACR was .11 of a second faster. No argument there.

Last edited by GP1224; 11-11-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:53 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racerns
Yes, in this case "the boss man" was Larry Webster the RT Test editor. His best time was used for all the cars.
Ok got it.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:01 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NineBall
GP1224 can't see past his fanboy goggles enough to accurately read an article. He drives (claims to) a BMW 335i. Zero racing experience, but has gained almost a year of keyboard trolling experience. But, this kid knows everything about everything!
I generally appreciate your posts, but don't get too uppity about "racing experience." I've tried to ask you about yours and heard nothing. And really, the ACR is not designed to race, it's designed for (pretty hard core) track driving, which really is quite a bit different. It's totally sensible to not want the ACR because it is loaded with tradeoffs for the track over the road. Perhaps the biggest is that I think you have to really lower the car to get the aero optimized and that is going to present all kinds of challenges to street driving the car.

I say this because I am a genuine fan of all the cars in this comparo, actually, and each have their strengths and weaknesses. No need to dis' anyone's choice of a car or claim any car is "better" than the other because there are too many tradeoff and subjective preferences involved. I'd like for these threads to stay in this part of the forum, as I think a reasonable discussion of Z06 vs ___ is relevant to owners and non-owners alike, but folks seem to want to bait one another into crap that gets the threads removed.

Over at rennlist, for example, there are multiple ACR threads that get to stay in the GT3 subforum (and for that matter Corvette threads get to stay, too) - you know what's missing? Childish baiting and pissing on one another.
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
That's because THIS "other car" comparo gets to stay here and the press release on the ACR's 13 track records went to the land of the misfit posts. The numbers are a bit different there.
This line says it all, why the rag writers are nothing more than writers who happen to write about cars.

"SRT's Chris Winkler shifts into fifth at the same place I normally hit the brakes and turns what I consider a 110-mph right-hander into a 135-mph no-brake right-hander by hucking the steering wheel of the Viper ACR as hard as he can and letting the massive rear wing sort out the stability, I have to work very hard not to vomit."

Factor engineer is accelerating while they are braking hard, at a deficit of 25mph.

Switch out cars for washing machines and their opinions are just as valid.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:24 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I generally appreciate your posts, but don't get too uppity about "racing experience." I've tried to ask you about yours and heard nothing.
Did you bother to check your PM inbox? You can also find my phone number on my business page. DV8motoring.com

Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:25 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

I generally appreciate your posts, but don't get too uppity about "racing experience." I've tried to ask you about yours and heard nothing. And really, the ACR is not designed to race, it's designed for (pretty hard core) track driving, which really is quite a bit different. It's totally sensible to not want the ACR because it is loaded with tradeoffs for the track over the road. Perhaps the biggest is that I think you have to really lower the car to get the aero optimized and that is going to present all kinds of challenges to street driving the car.

I say this because I am a genuine fan of all the cars in this comparo, actually, and each have their strengths and weaknesses. No need to dis' anyone's choice of a car or claim any car is "better" than the other because there are too many tradeoff and subjective preferences involved. I'd like for these threads to stay in this part of the forum, as I think a reasonable discussion of Z06 vs ___ is relevant to owners and non-owners alike, but folks seem to want to bait one another into crap that gets the threads removed.

Over at rennlist, for example, there are multiple ACR threads that get to stay in the GT3 subforum (and for that matter Corvette threads get to stay, too) - you know what's missing? Childish baiting and pissing on one another.
And... being that this is a CORVETTE C7 Z06 forum then saying the Z06 did amazing and basically as fast (.11 off) in this test as the ACR is just fact. Facts are what they are and thats that and I could care less if a few cheerleaders get bent out out of shape because the Z06 was so close. Great time for the big 3 as I said. No issues here
Old 11-11-2015, 12:09 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Did you bother to check your PM inbox? You can also find my phone number on my business page. DV8motoring.com

Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Sorry, missed the PM and when I tried to reply said your box was full. To respond in part I was not trying to discredit you, but you seem to enjoy stirring the pot (and I am hardly innocent) and I thought your race experience was more straight line than road course so I was being a bit of a devil's advocate about you getting into anyone's face about not "racing." It's a slippery slope and a guy like Randy Pobst could bitch slap me over my race experience, so I try to temper my remarks a bit 'cause there's always someone faster, richer and better looking.

I'm pretty much an open book, have ordered an ACR, and intend to put it on track (but not race it). I have to be honest that I expect that experience to be loaded with compromise and that the car, once optimized for track, will be a challenge to street drive and therefore respect the more rounded performance of the Z06, especially for the more casual or occasional track driver. But it also seems clear to me that anyone with real pace who runs the Z06 on track for 20+ minutes at a time will have to baby the car or modify it (with at present unproven changes) so for me, the Z is not presently an option. But all the cars today are great and no need to dis' anyone or their choice.

Bottom line is if everyone would throttle back a bit maybe we could keep other car discussions here and all be the better for it.
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 12:15 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GP1224
And... being that this is a CORVETTE C7 Z06 forum then saying the Z06 did amazing and basically as fast (.11 off) in this test as the ACR is just fact. Facts are what they are and thats that and I could care less if a few cheerleaders get bent out out of shape because the Z06 was so close. Great time for the big 3 as I said. No issues here
Driver always matters and true the reported lap times for the ACR and Z were for all intents and purposes identical. But you probably should acknowledge that the driver appears to have no experience with downforce and therefore did not exploit the ACR's high speed grip. Driving with downforce is an acquired and somewhat counterintuitive skill, but in my book the ACR has a lot more potential on track than the Z, at the admitted expense of losing street usability in the process.

Like you said, great performance by all of the American makes and no bad choices.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:27 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Sorry, missed the PM and when I tried to reply said your box was full. To respond in part I was not trying to discredit you, but you seem to enjoy stirring the pot (and I am hardly innocent) and I thought your race experience was more straight line than road course so I was being a bit of a devil's advocate about you getting into anyone's face about not "racing." It's a slippery slope and a guy like Randy Pobst could bitch slap me over my race experience, so I try to temper my remarks a bit 'cause there's always someone faster, richer and better looking.

I'm pretty much an open book, have ordered an ACR, and intend to put it on track (but not race it). I have to be honest that I expect that experience to be loaded with compromise and that the car, once optimized for track, will be a challenge to street drive and therefore respect the more rounded performance of the Z06, especially for the more casual or occasional track driver. But it also seems clear to me that anyone with real pace who runs the Z06 on track for 20+ minutes at a time will have to baby the car or modify it (with at present unproven changes) so for me, the Z is not presently an option. But all the cars today are great and no need to dis' anyone or their choice.

Bottom line is if everyone would throttle back a bit maybe we could keep other car discussions here and all be the better for it.
Agreed. We used to have excellent tech discussions on this site. The C7Z forum is an anomoly for some reason. I enjoy the track posts by guys who actually do run their cars. Wish they would create a separate tracking/racing subforum here, to allow comparison posts. Absurd that they bury stuff here, makes the site lose tech credibility. Then you have to sift through the fanboy posts with all the opinions and no experience, no added value. That gets annoying.

Last edited by NineBall; 11-11-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:56 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Agreed. We used to have excellent tech discussions on this site. The C7Z forum is an annomoly for some reason. I enjoy the track posts by guys who actually do run their cars. Wish they would create a separate tracking/racing subforum here, to allow comparison posts. Absurd that they bury stuff here, makes the site lose tech credibility. Then you have to sift through the fanboy posts with all the opinions and no experience, no added value. That gets annoying.
We are clearly on the same page. I also don't get it, but I will say most of the people posting on this forum are sensible.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:45 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Driver always matters and true the reported lap times for the ACR and Z were for all intents and purposes identical. But you probably should acknowledge that the driver appears to have no experience with downforce and therefore did not exploit the ACR's high speed grip. Driving with downforce is an acquired and somewhat counterintuitive skill, but in my book the ACR has a lot more potential on track than the Z, at the admitted expense of losing street usability in the process.

Like you said, great performance by all of the American makes and no bad choices.
I agree the ACR should be faster being its got far far more downforce than the Z, wider tires, racing coil over's as well as being lighter. The fact is the Z did a hell of a job in this test, even faster than the 488, so we'll see what comes in the next tests... and maybe even at Laguna if MT do another retest... if they think GM deserve it. The only other times right now with pro skill drivers would be the VIR for both cars, and the difference there was about 1 sec with the ACR being faster, but Mero did say he had a missed shift, and a 2:40 is what he should have done. I would like to see Mero hit some of the tracks the ACR hit just to see more comparos with that caliber a driver behind the Z since SRT had their TG. And yes its a pretty cool time for US cars thats for sure. C7Z, ACR, GT350R, and the Ford GT on the way. Not bad at all.

Last edited by GP1224; 11-11-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:54 PM
JonathonK
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Page News!

Here's my front page take on the final voting....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...r-of-the-year/
Old 11-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What some may have missed is the ACR, pro driven, lapped VIR in 2:40.02 along with 12 other track records (1:28.65 at MRLS, beating the 918 and P1).

Mero did at 2:41.42. Both very impressive.

Also bringing back the Z/28 vs. GT350 debate, the Z/28 does 5-60mph .2 seconds quicker for those debating torque vs. hp and gearing. But weighs nearly 150lbs less.

Originally Posted by Lrn2Swm
Funny how the magazines do not report this. ACR seems to be a great car, but I think the aero is ugly and for .12 seconds even for 1.2 seconds I'll take the Z all day long.
Z is a great street and GT car. The ACR is a hardcore track car.

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick

That reasoning also applies to older Corvettes. I've seen many people over the last year preferring the C6 because it doesn't overheat. But why doesn't it overheat?
Because it makes more hp than the ZR1 with a smaller supercharger?

And really, the ACR is not designed to race, it's designed for (pretty hard core) track driving, which really is quite a bit different. It's totally sensible to not want the ACR because it is loaded with tradeoffs for the track over the road. Perhaps the biggest is that I think you have to really lower the car to get the aero optimized and that is going to present all kinds of challenges to street driving the car.
Because it doesn't have weight reduction and a roll cage?

Lower the car to get it optimized? True, but you do realize the top end was reduced by nearly 30mph due to the aero. And it makes something like 1400lbs of downforce. Any lower and they may have to reduce the aero to run quicker on the faster tracks. It changes at each track.

Originally Posted by JonathonK
Here's my front page take on the final voting....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...r-of-the-year/
there is no conspiracy, I'm sure price played into. Similarly the C&D VIR test, they said the 911 GT3 RS? was the best car at the Lightning Lap but wasn't the quickest. C&D said the same of the 911 TT S but figured price into it.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 11-11-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:37 PM
mjf6175
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

"What some may have missed is the ACR, pro driven,....."

The driver was Chris Winkler. While he is Dodge/Viper engineer, do not know if he qualifies as "pro". There is another thread on the R&T PCOY and I posted the video.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mjf6175
"What some may have missed is the ACR, pro driven,....."

The driver was Chris Winkler. While he is Dodge/Viper engineer, do not know if he qualifies as "pro". There is another thread on the R&T PCOY and I posted the video.
Well he's a hotshoe and chassis engineer employed by a vehicle manufacturer to turn hot laps, he's a Pro. That doesn't mean he has to have podium finishes, it means he's paid to drive for a living.

He holds 11 of the 13 lap records and in '99 & '00 the same name in Detroit had SCCA Driver of the Year awards in that region.

I would say he's a pro like Mero.

Get notified of new replies

To Road & Track - Performance Car of the Year... C7 Z is in the lineup

Old 11-11-2015, 08:02 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

AMG GT-S beats them all in straight line acceleration. It is the fastest car 0-30, 0-60, 0-100 and second fastest 0-150 mph. It beats the Z06 and ACR and all the others up to 110 mph. It beats them all in the 1/4 mile with an 11.3. Who would have thought that. Ferrari was not tested.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...r-of-the-year/
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Well he's a hotshoe and chassis engineer employed by a vehicle manufacturer to turn hot laps, he's a Pro. That doesn't mean he has to have podium finishes, it means he's paid to drive for a living.

He holds 11 of the 13 lap records and in '99 & '00 the same name in Detroit had SCCA Driver of the Year awards in that region.

I would say he's a pro like Mero.
Your point isn't clear. I read the previous post like you were talking up Chris Winkler, and seemed to downplay Jim Mero. Both are equally talented, both have the same jobs at their respective companies. Both hold company records, Mero has all of GM's Nurburgring and VIR records.

How come nobody talks about Road Atlanta? Over 3 seconds ahead, with engineer Winkler driving the ACR, vs Corvette Team racer Milner driving the Z07? Engineer beating an actual pro, by 3 seconds, is quite impressive.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Next....

Quick Reply: Road & Track - Performance Car of the Year... C7 Z is in the lineup