C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Build Quality Showdown: Corvette Z06 vs Porsche GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:15 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
I didnt miss anything. I specifically stated that "Non-GT" Porsches have terrible depreciation rates and the ONLY reason that GT vehicles hold their value better is because they are purposely limited, making them a collectible. I'ts no secret that GT3 and GT2 (both RS and non-RS) gain in value. Which is exactly why speculators are quick to buy them and tuck them away in a garage hoping to make a profit off them in the future. The latest GT3RS from Porsche for example was sold out before dealers even started taking orders. If even one you could actually afford a $200K GT3RS.. you STILL wouldnt be able to buy one because of the speculators and investors who scoop up this vehicles.

As far as the GT3 is concerned. A "regular" guy could have purchased one with a huge mark up.. or sat on a waiting list for a year to get one. But again its another rare vehicle and on that still starts at the $145K mark. When the day comes that I can afford a $145,000 weekend car.. that will be the same day that I'll start worrying about "complete packages".
First, the GT3 is significantly different from the base 991 911. It's like saying a C7 is like a Z06. It is not just because it is rare that it is valued.

Second, base is about $130K and my car MSRP, and built to my order, had a $139K MSRP, which is what I paid. I've never bought a Porsche before BTW. My car took about 3 months to build from date of my order.

And mine is not a "weekend" car. It goes to work, track. Groceries and pretty much anywhere except movie theater. Have not decided on airport yet.

No doubt the GT3 is expensive. But total cost of ownership if I keep it say 2-3 yrs could be less than a Z.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:24 AM
VT_Z06
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
It's kind of interesting how many on different threads are talking about how much the C7Z is going to depreciate because the current overheating issues...YET, last years GT3 and this years GT3 are having ALL kinds of engine problems...so much so that Porsche is replacing ALL of them. Hmm....yet somehow they are keeping their value...it seems anyway.
Is there a /facepalm picture around?

No, they are not having "all kinds of problems". The issue you are referring to (which is 2 years old now) is THREE cars that had problems and Porsche chose to (at their cost, which was tens of millions of dollars) replace engines for every GT3, as a precaution and show of good will. IE: they did the right thing.

Do you think GM would do that? NOPE. They don't admit a damn thing being wrong. Hell, they would spend a could hundred bucks per car to replace the ignition problem, which cost lives!

Fact of the matter is, Porsche makes a product in the GT3 that is loved the world over; respected the world over, and backs up everything with quality. And yes, its more rare than a Corvette.

THAT is the ultimate reason GT3's go UP in value and all Corvettes that aren't a Gen 1 or a split window 63, go DOWN in value.

Are we done with these idiotic comparisons yet? There are far, far too many people who can't be objective about anything, it seems.
The following users liked this post:
Rodbuster56 (10-02-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
First, the GT3 is significantly different from the base 991 911. It's like saying a C7 is like a Z06. It is not just because it is rare that it is valued.

Second, base is about $130K and my car MSRP, and built to my order, had a $139K MSRP, which is what I paid. I've never bought a Porsche before BTW. My car took about 3 months to build from date of my order.

And mine is not a "weekend" car. It goes to work, track. Groceries and pretty much anywhere except movie theater. Have not decided on airport yet.

No doubt the GT3 is expensive. But total cost of ownership if I keep it say 2-3 yrs could be less than a Z.
I have no doubt if GM limited the production numbers of the Z06 to exact same numbers as the GT3.. that the Z06 would depreciate (or appreciate) at the same rate as the GT3. For the third time in this thread I'll say this and it remains true. Porsche's GT cars hold their value better simply because they are rarer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Daekwan06:
Bwright (10-02-2015), DaveFerrari458 (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 11:47 AM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by thegeneral101
I was having a conversation today in light of Volkswagen's recent news, and a colleague said that he's never driven anything with better build quality than a porsche. I personally haven't been in many Porsches, but my perception is that he's correct.

Perhaps you can arm me with some items as to why the Z06 does have better "build quality" than the GT3. Even things like the magnetic suspension and exhaust valves I think differentiate the Z06, but I'd love to hear others. Not trying to start a war here, both are awesome cars.

If GM had built for the same price point as the GT3 I am not sure that the 'build quality' of the Porsche would outshine the Corvette. You are comparing apples and oranges. I do know this, though. I just ran against a 911 twin turbo S at Silver State and it really chapped that guys *** that he was beaten by a Z06 that cost 70,000 LESS!
Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by VT_Z06
Is there a /facepalm picture around?

No, they are not having "all kinds of problems". The issue you are referring to (which is 2 years old now) is THREE cars that had problems and Porsche chose to (at their cost, which was tens of millions of dollars) replace engines for every GT3, as a precaution and show of good will. IE: they did the right thing.

Do you think GM would do that? NOPE. They don't admit a damn thing being wrong. Hell, they would spend a could hundred bucks per car to replace the ignition problem, which cost lives!

Fact of the matter is, Porsche makes a product in the GT3 that is loved the world over; respected the world over, and backs up everything with quality. And yes, its more rare than a Corvette.

THAT is the ultimate reason GT3's go UP in value and all Corvettes that aren't a Gen 1 or a split window 63, go DOWN in value.

Are we done with these idiotic comparisons yet? There are far, far too many people who can't be objective about anything, it seems.
I can't find that face/palm pic for you, but you might consider looking in the mirror. If Porsche really believed it would ultimately 'only' affect 2-3 cars they wouldn't spend the money to replace ALL the engines, they clearly found a FLAW. That was 2014.

http://jalopnik.com/why-porsche-911-...off-1567011597

What about this then? 2015...(please get your mirror out now)

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...erns-1.2284524

That's REALLY strange, it seems to have happened again...in 2015!! Last I checked 2015 wasn't 2 year ago.

If you want to be sarcastic, you should first make sure you do your homework.

Btw, I love Porsche's and have owned several. But don't act like they are perfect.

As for GT3 values, time will tell...the 4.0 RS was special. Also, they don't make nearly as many GT3's as Z06's...so you'd expect them to hold value...HOWEVER, just because something is limited does not guarantee an increase in value...

There is no "ultimate' reason they go up in value...please stop the bs. In the past 5 years the 'air cooled 964's and 993's have sky rocketed in price...Why? Who really knows...There are many hypotheses...But the fact is, 964's are not limited production neither are 993's...yet you could've had one relatively CHEAP in 2010...Things change. Ferrari Dino, same thing...for many years you could get one CHEAP...now you can't. Sometimes things unexpectedly go up, other times you know right away it'll be a collectors item, i.e. GT3RS 4.0. How will the 991 GT3 fair in the future? Time will tell, but I highly doubt it'll surpass the GT3 RS 4.0....

And yes, we are done with idiotic comparisons of limited production cars like GT3 RS's vs a standard production car like a Z06. Btw, I love them both!! I'd own both...
Old 10-01-2015, 05:54 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

I have owned many Porsches and Vettes. I currently drive a 2013 Boxster S and have a '16 Sting Ray on order. I have been to the BG factory twice and 2 months ago I was at the Porsche factory. There is not much of a difference as to how these cars are built.

In a general comparison of Vettes to Porsches, I can tell you they are both great cars. As far as mechanical and electrical problems go, both brands, as do all brands, have them. Corvette no more so than Porsche.

Yes, the fit & finish of your average Porsche is a bit better than either the Sting Ray or the Z06. The biggest difference is the quality of the paint job. The Porsche is noticeably better. But the important think to keep in mind is this. Corvettes are the best bang for the buck going, and ALL Porsches are way over priced. My 2013 Boxster S stickered for $83,000. My ordered 2016 Sting Ray Convertible (loaded) stickers for $81,615.00.

I compared an equally equipped new 2016 911 S Cabrolet and the sticker is $138,000.00! My buddy has a 2015 911 Turbo S Cabrolet. The MSRP was $215,000.00. Does the 911 S Cabrolet have a fit and finish $55,000.00 better than my Sting Ray? Does my buddy's 911 Turbo S have a fit & finish over $100,000.00 better than a Z07 Convertible? Those are the questions that you should be asking when comparing the fit and finish of Porsches and Corvettes.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm just going to leave this here. Cayman GT4 cooling system for 385HP.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:43 PM
VT_Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I'm just going to leave this here. Cayman GT4 cooling system for 385HP.
Yes. They do things correctly and it costs what it costs. They do not do things to a number, half-assed, to make sure the car can retail for a certain amount.

I love Vettes. I've owned several Z's, but the two companies have different philosophies when it comes to making cars.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:10 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

That GT4 even though not a power house at all is just incredible. For a all round car that the wife can even enjoy thats the car right there.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:16 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
That GT4 even though not a power house at all is just incredible. For a all round car that the wife can even enjoy thats the car right there.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GP1224
The GT4 is also a car that starts $84,000 and was produced in such small numbers that it was impossible to buy at sticker price unless you were a "VIP" with Porsche NA. For those of us "regular guys" that are able to buy one.. dealers were marking up the price as much as $20,000. So the question remains.. how many of you are interested in a $100,000 bare bones Cayman?

Even better question. How many of you have purchased a $100,000 bare bones Cayman?

I mean after all.. it's so amazing right? Sounds like the deal of the century. Hey even your wife can drive it. Good luck ever seeing one as the collectors have these sitting a glass garage somewhere.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 10-04-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:12 PM
VT_Z06
Instructor

The GT4 is also a car that starts $84,000 and was produced in such small numbers that it was impossible to buy at sticker price unless you were a "VIP" with Porsche NA. For those of us "regular guys" that are able to buy one.. dealers were marking up the price as much as $20,000. So the question remains.. how many of you are interested in a $100,000 bare bones Cayman?

Even better question. How many of you have purchased a $100,000 bare bones Cayman?

I mean after all.. it's so amazing right? Sounds like the deal of the century. Hey even your wife can drive it. Good luck ever seeing one as the collectors have these sitting a glass garage somewhere.
Buyers of that car (and other Euro sports cars) don't give a **** about "deals". It's not a struggle to justify a fantastic sports car and compare the pros and cons against something domestic.

The. Money. Doesn't. Matter.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Well bought a Porsche this weekend. Looked it over carefully because it had a little dust on it from being stored in the covered parking garage that this Dealer has. Told them NOT to wash or touch it as I like to do that myself the first time. Put the Adams Machine Sealant on Saturday and Pinnacle wax on Sunday after curing for 24 hours--gave me a chance to notice there was no orange peel to speak of and it really shows up on black .....
Old 10-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VT_Z06
Buyers of that car (and other Euro sports cars) don't give a **** about "deals". It's not a struggle to justify a fantastic sports car and compare the pros and cons against something domestic.

The. Money. Doesn't. Matter.
Bingo!!!

When the money doesnt matter. You SHOULD get the best quality possible. Thank you for finally making sense in this thread.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Leonie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z

I compared an equally equipped new 2016 911 S Cabrolet and the sticker is $138,000.00! My buddy has a 2015 911 Turbo S Cabrolet. The MSRP was $215,000.00. Does the 911 S Cabrolet have a fit and finish $55,000.00 better than my Sting Ray? Does my buddy's 911 Turbo S have a fit & finish over $100,000.00 better than a Z07 Convertible? Those are the questions that you should be asking when comparing the fit and finish of Porsches and Corvettes.
Never heard of Pareto, correct?

When you pay double the amount of money for a watch or a HiFi system, you do not expect it to be twice as good, because when you reach a certain level, you have to put in exponentially rising amounts of effort to get some slightly better results. Same goes for cars, for.....

Whait, let me just tell you, this goes for EVERYTHING which is constructed / build or anything similar.

Best regards, Bernd
Old 10-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Bingo!!!

When the money doesnt matter. You SHOULD get the best quality possible. Thank you for finally making sense in this thread.

Speak for yourself there big boy!! The squeaks and rattles my Z06 has along with oil ingestion. One could say that Corvette buyers do not care about quality which is what I think you mean here. You cannot build "quality" into a product.

Value for the dollar spent is relative and corresponds to the buyers expectation.

Quick Reply: Build Quality Showdown: Corvette Z06 vs Porsche GT3