C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 motor went kaboom today -:(

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 PM
NGS
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
You do realize that the economic impact for a country of building a phone versus a $100,000 car is about .0000001% right?
You do realize 13M iPhones 6S's were recently sold in 3 days and if those were all manufactured here in the US the economic impact of those manufactured items verses the manufacture of 9000-$100,000 cars would be MUCH less than 0.0000001%
Old 10-19-2015, 02:55 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
Ignore list needs food ...
I know, I know...
Truth hurts, eh bud?
Old 10-19-2015, 02:59 PM
MEJ
Racer

Originally Posted by SandmanAz
if you own a porshe i think theyre is a website for you. Confused why others with other mfg'd cars come here to rant. this is american car and i am an american. Why would i not support american buisness. Buy a porshe if you are in germany it make perfect sense. Support your countrys economy. Otherwise less hate makes better conversations!!!
Buying American for the sake of it being American is kind of stupid. Instead, why not hold GM to a higher standard and then people can spend their hard earned money more patriotically...
Old 10-19-2015, 05:05 PM
SandmanAz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MEJ
Buying American for the sake of it being American is kind of stupid. Instead, why not hold GM to a higher standard and then people can spend their hard earned money more patriotically...
🇺🇸 Love my C7 Z06!! 👍👍
Old 10-19-2015, 06:08 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NGS
You do realize 13M iPhones 6S's were recently sold in 3 days and if those were all manufactured here in the US the economic impact of those manufactured items verses the manufacture of 9000-$100,000 cars would be MUCH less than 0.0000001%
hopeless
Old 10-19-2015, 06:42 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
of course the ZR1 did not blow, but they didn't make that many.
It was in production for 5 years and is very reliable--more so than the C7Z.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:52 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NGS
Your reply shows that you don't understand the true scale of the indirect impact of automotive production on the aggregate domestic economy. We aren't just talking about Z's here this is a discussion about the automotive industry as a whole. Each vehicle that is produced with mostly domestic components is going to have a net economic impact of approximately 10 times the value of the vehicle. Even if iphones were "made" in the USA they would be assembled from parts from overseas, because they are mostly made up of cheap, low grade components which this country cannot manufacture at a cost competitive rate. Who would pay $1500 for an iphone? Wait, let me guess - you would right?

Also, Z's are being built at a rate of 1400 a month, or closer to 16,000 in a full model year like 2016
Old 10-22-2015, 07:28 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Your reply shows that you don't understand the true scale of the indirect impact of automotive production on the aggregate domestic economy. We aren't just talking about Z's here this is a discussion about the automotive industry as a whole. Each vehicle that is produced with mostly domestic components is going to have a net economic impact of approximately 10 times the value of the vehicle. Even if iphones were "made" in the USA they would be assembled from parts from overseas, because they are mostly made up of cheap, low grade components which this country cannot manufacture at a cost competitive rate. Who would pay $1500 for an iphone? Wait, let me guess - you would right?

Also, Z's are being built at a rate of 1400 a month, or closer to 16,000 in a full model year like 2016
I'm glad you brought up "electronics" Compared to my new 2016 Toyota Tacoma. Our GM Corvette's are full of low grade electronics.
really nothing in the Corvette compares. The fit and finish build quality and interior is far nicer in the Tacoma. It was less than half of the new Z06. Assembled here in the USA. Very proud of it!
Old 10-23-2015, 06:21 PM
MEJ
Racer

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
You know, just a few hours ago when actually driving my Z06 with the roof down on a warm sunny day and the exhaust singing in sport mode, which is something you really should try someday, it occurred to me to look for this "orange peel" you speak of.

When sighting very carefully along the hood at a shallow angle in bright light, why yes, there's a bit of a wrinkly appearance. Slightly annoying. Then I downshifted to as many rpms as the break-in limit allowed and listened to the exhaust some more and looked around at all the other drivers locked up in their ordinary non-convertibles and didn't think about orange peel the rest of the day, especially when riding home topless with heated seats (sorry if yours don't work, mine do) on a cool starry evening. It's called "perspective" and maybe even "gratitude" for being so incredibly fortunate that I get to drive a bright red supercar anytime I want.

Come to think of it, neither the guy who hollered "nice car!" as he drove by while I was stopped in the turn lane, nor the young Soldier parked next to me at General Jackson's (they have $10 boonie hats for me and my passengers to ride roof-down without sunburned heads) who said "nice car, sir!" nor the six other young Soldiers who came out of the store and looked closely and with admiring smiles said "nice car, sir!" even though it still had some driveway mud on it, nor the other members of my Corvette club at our weekly get-together who all gathered around delightedly and oohed and ahhed and said "nice car!" said a word about orange peel. That last bunch may be a bit biased, given that at least three of them have C7Z coupes.

So I decline to join your boycott and encourage you to make your highest goal in life something other than criticizing everybody else's mild imperfections. Or you can just keep on missing out while waiting for the new paint shop, which I suspect still won't be up to your standards. I expect my Zora will have pretty good paint someday.
Sounds like mediocre is your highest standard.
Well, I guess, good for you.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I'm glad you brought up "electronics" Compared to my new 2016 Toyota Tacoma. Our GM Corvette's are full of low grade electronics. really nothing in the Corvette compares. The fit and finish build quality and interior is far nicer in the Tacoma. It was less than half of the new Z06. Assembled here in the USA. Very proud of it!
Seriously?

LOL I have had a Tacoma 13 and a 4 Runner 15.

I disagree and also the ticking from the 4 runner is a trip. Great rigs but can't even compare to a vette.

Too much I spit up Coke reading this.

take your vette to a track and see how good the electronics work lol
Old 10-23-2015, 08:50 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014C7
Seriously?

LOL I have had a Tacoma 13 and a 4 Runner 15.

I disagree and also the ticking from the 4 runner is a trip. Great rigs but can't even compare to a vette.

Too much I spit up Coke reading this.

take your vette to a track and see how good the electronics work lol

Yeah I don't follow on this one -- and it goes to show that fit and finish is extremely subjective. Having been in several new Toyota trucks of all trim levels, they aren't anything special, and I would not consider them better than my Z06.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:57 PM
rrm
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
Took this one after Adams Machine Sealant was put on Saturday and Sunday put Pinnacle carnauba on for protection. The folks at the dealership were not surprised at all when I requested that the car be delivered as is without washing for delivery. Evidently not a uncommon thing to ask.
That's a Porsche?
Look at the peel!!!rrm
Old 10-24-2015, 09:12 AM
NGS
Pro

Let's see:

Apple's market cap (as of yesterday)....$679B

Ford + GM's market cap (as of yesterday)....$119.6B

Now I know what you are trying to intimate about the economic effects of the total car industry. But you called out "$100,000" cars...how many cars do GM and Ford make that have a $100,000 price tag?

Trying to change your direction by including the entire car industry's effect on the economy is certainly different than your statement about cars costing $100,000....apples to apples, not oranges.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:33 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Bunch of dopes!
Old 10-24-2015, 10:03 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NGS
Let's see:

Apple's market cap (as of yesterday)....$679B

Ford + GM's market cap (as of yesterday)....$119.6B

Now I know what you are trying to intimate about the economic effects of the total car industry. But you called out "$100,000" cars...how many cars do GM and Ford make that have a $100,000 price tag?

Trying to change your direction by including the entire car industry's effect on the economy is certainly different than your statement about cars costing $100,000....apples to apples, not oranges.
You are talking about GM, Ford, and Chrysler concerning domestic manufacturers, and market cap is a function of profits NOT revenue or indirect economic impact. You were the one who singled the discussion out to the Z06 here NOT me - because it has nothing to do with how many of them that GM sells if we are going to have this discussion. Cars in particular have an exponential indirect impact on the domestic economy - versus cheap tech products that use almost no raw materials or energy to produce. You just keep demonstrating more and more how much you fail to understand the real numbers in the discussion. You probably have a Prius for a daily driver like some of the other newbies around here
Old 10-24-2015, 04:41 PM
NGS
Pro

You are talking about GM, Ford, and Chrysler concerning domestic manufacturers, and market cap is a function of profits NOT revenue or indirect economic impact. You were the one who singled the discussion out to the Z06 here NOT me - because it has nothing to do with how many of them that GM sells if we are going to have this discussion. Cars in particular have an exponential indirect impact on the domestic economy - versus cheap tech products that use almost no raw materials or energy to produce. You just keep demonstrating more and more how much you fail to understand the real numbers in the discussion. You probably have a Prius for a daily driver like some of the other newbies around here
Lol...yeah...a Prius.

Put your thinking cap on...I know this will be difficult. But if you want to know about economic impact, take a look at how much revenue the Uber App generates each and every time someone uses it on an iPhone. Oh...we conveniently forget about that little phone and all the eCommerce it generates.

You haven't a clue...and again...you were the one who called out $100,000 cars...not sure what you were driving at but it sure did seem like you were singling out the Z06...at least that was my presumption.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:10 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
Bought a new Porsche last weekend---sorry but the Z06 is not in the same league in anything but sheer performance. People who have ridden in the Z06 always comment later about the squeaks and rattles.

Some who are German car drivers only say "well it is a Chevy" and I have no reply. Chevy is Chevy and that will never change some things they just do not get...
Only on this forum do we get these types of posts. A C7 ZO6 is only superior to a crossover V6 SUV in terms of sheer performance. From the reviews I've read that "sheer performance" includes braking, steering, turn in, cornering limits, acceleration, etc... I might also point out that the same "sheer performance" exceedences would also pretty much apply apply to the C7 Z51.

All of this against a $104,000 crossover SUV with a twin turbo 400 HP V6.

Add in folks who seem astounded that a C6 ZR1 and a C7 ZO6 might actually drive momentarily on a public road at 160 MPH and one has to wonder what general silliness is transpiring here?

I've owned a Porsche Turbo, a 911, a Cayenne, a DB9, and 3 Corvettes including a '94 ZR1. I've driven a 458 that an acquaintance sold so that he could buy a C7 ZO7. He and I both believe that the Z is also better than the 458 in terms of "sheer performance." Likewise the same goes for his previous Testarosa and his Maranello.

Now, all of these are wonderful cars in their own way. Some are truly great cars.

But, what possible point is gained by going to each of their respective websites and saying, "Yeah, your sports cars are great, and I even own one myself, but my new SUV is more squeak and rattle free than your sports car and by gosh it's just the best darned car I've ever owned"?

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 motor went kaboom today -:(

Old 10-24-2015, 08:34 PM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

19 days and 6 pages and no update from the OP since last post?

Hmmmmmmmmmm..............
Old 10-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by B747VET
Only on this forum do we get these types of posts. A C7 ZO6 is only superior to a crossover V6 SUV in terms of sheer performance. From the reviews I've read that "sheer performance" includes braking, steering, turn in, cornering limits, acceleration, etc... I might also point out that the same "sheer performance" exceedences would also pretty much apply apply to the C7 Z51.
I have a 991 911 TT, which is at least a few steps up the ladder from a Macan, and my C7 Z06 is well within the same "league" as the 911 is. In fact, my TT is now scheduled to go back to the dealer to have the air-bladder activated front chin spoiler replaced after it split in half on the passenger side (I've seen other 911 TT's have this happen). This is after a number of campaigns were completed in June including replacing the PTM control unit. The blower motor died 2-weeks after I got the car, leaving me with no HVAC, lol. So this will be the fourth trip to the dealer with it in ~18 months. Great car, but anybody naïve enough to think they are without fault is a fool. And FWIW, my 911 has orange peel too and it's about on par with my Z06.
S.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:47 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 756 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
Bunch of dopes!
How about vote for Trump ?!? I believe The U.S. Will be a better and stronger country.

Quick Reply: Z06 motor went kaboom today -:(