C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Another Report of a Corvette C7 Z06 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Okay okay...How much will this one set me back?

Last edited by DLC7; 10-07-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:29 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa

Now stay tuned for: "It's an easy fix and you guys"
you finally got something right. How happy are you now knowing there's a tried and tested option that WORKS and costs peanuts https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...prep-info.html
Old 10-07-2015, 08:51 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx

They also were very inconsistent based on region on how they reacted, iirc in the UK it did take a lawsuit. They never admitted all the IMS bearing issues in the 996 without a class action suit that forced their hands. The 996 also had issues with cracked head castings and cracked cylinder liners, none of which Porche did much to support. Grass isn't always greener.

Last edited by CPhelps; 10-07-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: corrected typo: "had casting" to "head casting"
Old 10-07-2015, 09:45 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPhelps
They also were very inconsistent based on region on how they reacted, iirc in the UK it did take a lawsuit. They never admitted all the IMS bearing issues in the 996 without a class action suit that forced their hands. The 996 also had issues with cracked had castings and cracked cylinder liners, none of which Porche did much to support. Grass isn't always greener.
BINGO!! Ignorance is bliss.

I always have a good when I see the same cheerleaders think that because Porsche replaced the GT3 engines that were literally bursting into flames and about to cause a lawsuit nightmare.... that some how Porsche is this wonderful and great company that have been being so loyal to their customers

Then the real truth is explained... and no rebuttal in sight... crickets
Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Old 10-07-2015, 02:07 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
I'm so with you on that. When I drive any car on track, I go flat out, redline shift every shift unless it's faster to short-shift on an upcoming corner to avoid unsettling the car, and I go for the fastest set of consecutive laps, lap after lap, for 25-30 minutes straight, never giving the car a break, just keeping it on the limit. I just can't be bothered to back off to avoid any car's shortcomings. I just have zero fun driving a car on track at anything less than the fastest I can drive it safely without spinning or crashing. I like to hold a car on the edge and feel the limit of grip on the tires, and finely balance the car at the edge of grip, using the throttle gently but firmly to keep the tires on but not over the limit.

I drove multiple cars like that, and now left with my GT-R that can do that all day long, and my Corvette that overheats and breaks every time I take it to the track. Just so disappointed in the "most track capable Corvette ever". What a marketing scam that was, including all of Tadge's market corporate speak about the car, that tricked me for sure. It's been over 2 years now and they have absolutely zero fixes. I gave GM every possible chance to come up with fixes, and they have nothing, nothing at all. I have completely given up on taking my Corvette to the track. GT-R for the win, and something else new for next spring, and it's not going to be made by GM.
Claude I've called you out before on this, but for the benefit of new readers/owners:

1: you do not have a Z06, but rather a Z51. I hate like hell that you have experienced so many 'heat' related issues with your Z51, but it's NOT a Z06, hence the comparison is simply not valid, and

2: you own and track a highly modified, NON stock GT-R. The ONLY way that your GT-R can track "all day long", is due to the aftermarket HKS transmission oil cooler, AND the secondary engine oil cooler which you fabricated and installed; (kudos to you). As you well know, OEM GT-Rs experience severe heat related issues when run hard on a road course, so again: Please do not compare your modified GT-R to a stock Z06.

When there is a solution to the engine oil over-heating issue for the C7 Z06; (hopefully soon with a modified or add-on engine oil cooler), and if the car then still overheats on a road course, well then your statement has some merit. Until then, no.

Bish
The following 7 users liked this post by thebishman:
3 Z06ZR1 (10-08-2015), BWFitz (10-07-2015), CPhelps (10-07-2015), Runs11s (10-07-2015), Snorman (10-07-2015), Speednet (10-07-2015), SRTRick (10-07-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2015, 02:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Why would I own a car with this many problems? Also was hoping some of the design would have been updated to be less "polarizing". May sit out till the C8 version.

Are Randy Probst's 4 failures testing the Z06 also worthless?

But, but, but, unless Randy Probst actually owns a C7 Z06, his input is worthless. It's ownership that counts. LOL
Old 10-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by MEJ
But Porsche acknowledged the problem and fixed it for all the owners...
See anything different from GM with the Z06?
It is sort of hard to deny a problem when the car is burned and covered with soot and fire extinguisher residue. Throw in a bunch of witnesses including the firemen who put out the fire and you might as well admit you have a problem and fix it. Besides a fire is a real safety issue.

Bill
Old 10-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
No, just your comments are worthless.
Just as long as we agree Randy Probst's comments are worth something when he eviscerates the C7 Z06 every time he tests it and the car fails to deliver, including when he compared it to the new ACR Viper.

But who knows maybe the 5th time will be the charm for Motor Trend. You know nothing weird about a car overheating and or failing to perform 4 times in 10 months by the same magazine. A really good sign of a great car. Luckily no owners are experiencing the exact same issues when driven hard on a track.

I have gladly opted out of the "pleasure" of owning one of these.
The following users liked this post:
MEJ (10-19-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Just as long as we agree Randy Probst's comments are worth something when he eviscerates the C7 Z06 every time he tests it and the car fails to deliver, including when he compared it to the new ACR Viper.

But who knows maybe the 5th time will be the charm for Motor Trend. You know nothing weird about a car overheating and or failing to perform 4 times in 10 months by the same magazine. A really good sign of a great car. Luckily no owners are experiencing the exact same issues when driven hard on a track.

I have gladly opted out of the "pleasure" of owning one of these.
Yet somehow you take great "pleasure" in crapping up the forums with your stream of negativity. You must be a very unhappy person. You'd be happier if you owned one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speednet:
3 Z06ZR1 (10-08-2015), KustomsbyKev (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:10 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Has anyone tried this ?
If this is proven to prevent the overheating issues , then I will place my order on the Z06.
This overheating issues is what kept me from getting one, and yes I do lots of mountain spirited driving and hate to have to idle it in the side of the road in SoCal 90 degree weather

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...FUSBfgodb08GuQ
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by DJackman
Has anyone tried this ?
If this is proven to prevent the overheating issues , then I will place my order on the Z06.
This overheating issues is what kept me from getting one, and yes I do lots of mountain spirited driving and hate to have to idle it in the side of the road in SoCal 90 degree weather

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...FUSBfgodb08GuQ
Yes https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6-hx-tank.html ... but that's not what that's for.

You are getting spooked by all the negativity and misinformation, if you do not plan to track your A8 aggressively at HPDE in high ambient temps then you will not overheat. This entire discussion is 99.99% track related, the other .01% that experience overheating in ordinary driving suffer a mechanical fault. The overheating issue doesn't apply to you so you'd be doing yourself a disfavor if you let the noise around it influence your decision either way.

Last edited by soulsea; 10-07-2015 at 09:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by soulsea:
C7_Z06 (10-08-2015), KustomsbyKev (10-08-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

The forum has really gone downhill... I've been reading the forums since last December and I decided to join in May, yet the forum just got worse. The only people whose posts I know are good and not stupid or BS are mainly the people on my friends list (and a few others). The problem with the internet is that anyone can act tough and say whatever they want and nothing will happen. People here can't respect each other and have civilized conversations half the time. Here's a question for anyone, would you say the things you say on this forum to others in person? I'm sick of arguements every other thread! It goes both ways too. I visited the C6 Z06 section the other day and there was a thread about the C7Z failing in the MT BDC test and how it basically sucks. No wonder most owners of the C7Z hate the people who come here to talk sh*t about the car. And the C7 fanboys: clearly this car has issues and while it's great at the same time, learn to appreciate other cars! The comparisons are absolutely stupid! The Viper, ZR1, Hellcat, GT3, C7 Z06, and whatever else gets thrown into the arguement are all great cars! Honestly, some people here need to find better things to do than waste their time on the internet being stupid. Everyone has opinions and they shouldn't be shot down or called out by others saying they are wrong. Maybe some of you will realize that you can take my advice and start to respect others. It shouldn't take a high school student (me) to make people realize that they should start acting like adults instead of 10 years old.
The following 3 users liked this post by four0nefive:
C7_Z06 (10-08-2015), NineBall (10-08-2015), Runs11s (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Yet somehow you take great "pleasure" in crapping up the forums with your stream of negativity. You must be a very unhappy person. You'd be happier if you owned one.
Actually the only thing I am unhappy with is the direction that the C7 Z06 took. I wanted a Lightweight NA car like the previous two generations. This is the first Corvette generation that I am not purchasing a new model of since I have had a drivers license. I am beyond bummed that I don't lust for this car the way I did for my C5 and C6 Z06s. I bought both of them new put over 110,000 combined miles on and track as often as time permits.

I am not attacking you - But this place is a public forum that GM gauges and monitors - and I am not alone in my feelings. The car is not living up to many objective parameters set forth by both previous generations as well as very specific goals set out by GM.

Sorry if this offends you and I am glad you like your car. But I plan on continuing to voice my concerns so I suggest you put me on ignore as I don't want to attack you back or make generalizations about your personality or your life. It's just a car, and I already have a Frankenstein meathead that stalks and attacks me in every thread - a man can only have so many nemessis.

Nothing would make me happier than adding a new Generation of a Z06 to my stable - but this current one will not be it - and no I don't "live in my mom's basement" either - so lets skip that "jealous" and "can't afford" silliness. The same group that has criticisms of the new car all seem to be able to afford some pretty serious machines.

Boba Fett (10-22-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 04:21 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
The forum has really gone downhill... I've been reading the forums since last December and I decided to join in May, yet the forum just got worse. The only people whose posts I know are good and not stupid or BS are mainly the people on my friends list (and a few others). The problem with the internet is that anyone can act tough and say whatever they want and nothing will happen. People here can't respect each other and have civilized conversations half the time. Here's a question for anyone, would you say the things you say on this forum to others in person? I'm sick of arguements every other thread! It goes both ways too. I visited the C6 Z06 section the other day and there was a thread about the C7Z failing in the MT BDC test and how it basically sucks. No wonder most owners of the C7Z hate the people who come here to talk sh*t about the car. And the C7 fanboys: clearly this car has issues and while it's great at the same time, learn to appreciate other cars! The comparisons are absolutely stupid! The Viper, ZR1, Hellcat, GT3, C7 Z06, and whatever else gets thrown into the arguement are all great cars! Honestly, some people here need to find better things to do than waste their time on the internet being stupid. Everyone has opinions and they shouldn't be shot down or called out by others saying they are wrong. Maybe some of you will realize that you can take my advice and start to respect others. It shouldn't take a high school student (me) to make people realize that they should start acting like adults instead of 10 years old.
I agree with you on all points. This place would be a lot better place with people showing some respect. By not coming in here and knocking the C7Z06. If you actually have one and there is a problem great. You deserve
to gripe you have bought the car and have your time and money invested.

The reality is most of the biggest griper's (haters) don't have a Z06. They go by what they read to take a hard stance against the car. Then compare to their choice of car brand unfavorably in their eyes.

I never get the urge to go to any other forum to rag on others cars
or to knock the owners. Most of the stuff from owners here is just owners defending their cars. Then once they come in here knocking the Z06 they are quick to get it back from owners thus the snowball gets bigger.

This not near the issue with the C6Z06 forum or ZR1 forum. It is just this one is worse. The newest most successful best car forum is the one some people feel the need to a display all so called displeasure
for the car then they look for anything for an excuse to hate what owner's here think is the top car for the dollar.
Or they would not have bought one.
Real life you see none of this. I always treat everyone nice with respect and most always get in return from other car owners.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-08-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Runs11s (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 04:40 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Then if your dead set against the car and don't see the wisdom of "if you can't beat them join them".
Maybe keep your posts to yourself then people won't feel the need to stoop to the low level you bring here with negativity.
By pitching crap back
Nothing personal but the following and posting negative stuff stops here with me.
Both ways. Ruin's good threads for others. Trashes up the forum.
Over with! Out!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
The forum has really gone downhill... No wonder most owners of the C7Z hate the people who come here to talk sh*t about the car. And the C7 fanboys: clearly this car has issues and while it's great at the same time, learn to appreciate other cars!
This is one of the most intelligent posts in this entire thread as well as the other 1000 C7Z bashing/complaining threads.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Report of a Corvette C7 Z06 Overheating

Old 10-08-2015, 08:05 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=3 Z06ZR1;1590651391]I agree with you on all points. This place would be a lot better place with people showing some respect. By not coming in here and knocking the C7Z06. If you actually have one and there is a problem great. You deserve

The reality is most of the biggest griper's (haters) don't have a Z06. They go by what they read to take a hard stance against the car. Then compare to their choice of car brand unfavorably in their eyes.

or to knock the owners

BINGO!!!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:30 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 783 Likes on 456 Posts

How about the guys that own all of them including a C4, C5 Z06, C6 Z06 and ZR1, and a C7 Z06? I think I might listen to them and their opinions of the cars and how they compare. I find it a bit hard to take data from people that say how much faster a car is than a previous version, when they have never driven or have any experience with the previous versions?

Or talking about modding these cars (for cooling for example) and then posting threads from guys who modded something on their car but expert shops (Like forum vendors on here) have given quotes to redo certain aspects of the car and guys say "it does not cost that much, or that is unneeded"...

The C7 is a very nice car, as are the previous versions. Each generation had a few problems that are well documented, and some still have not been addressed. The C7 has a cooling problem and I hope that the C7 does not fall into the same category as not being addressed (outside of modding) as generations have. Some guys do not want to admit it, others do. There are a lot more Corvette C7 Z06 owners that are not members here that I know that have had problems with heating issues and they are not driving the car as hard as the professional drivers (When testing in magazines).

I also remember guys posting when the car was introduced to be 650 HP and 650 Torque SAE. Then you had guys saying that the 650/650 SAE could be the minimum numbers after a forum vendor dynoed a "factory freak"... Or when the car came out with it's weight and guys were giving all kinds of excuses why the weight of the car does not matter, when, in fact, we all know it does. I mean, if that is what you want to read, then I get it. I do not like all of the arguing either...

[QUOTE=GP1224;1590651790]
Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I agree with you on all points. This place would be a lot better place with people showing some respect. By not coming in here and knocking the C7Z06. If you actually have one and there is a problem great. You deserve

or to knock the owners

BINGO!!!
Hirohawa (10-08-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 09:06 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick

Going again in 3 days. Luckily I have a great dealer willing to bend backwards to fix the car everytime.
How did it go? If you made a report I missed it. I was hopeful that this would either solve or at least alleviate your issues somewhat.

Quick Reply: Another Report of a Corvette C7 Z06 Overheating