C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

M7 + Super Sports = Fail at the drag strip!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:15 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default M7 + Super Sports = Fail at the drag strip!

Another trip to the drag strip last night, and another night of disappointment. Car seems impossible to get out of the hole with the stock Michelin Super Sports. 60' times have been consistently in the 2.3 range.

I've seen some decent passes posted on Sport Cups with M7's. Curious if there is anyone out there that has had success getting an M7/MSS car out of the hole with let's say a Sub 2 second 60' to net a respectable ET?

Looks like it's time for some DR's????
Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Gomer
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ser2fast
Another trip to the drag strip last night, and another night of disappointment. Car seems impossible to get out of the hole with the stock Michelin Super Sports. 60' times have been consistently in the 2.3 range.

I've seen some decent passes posted on Sport Cups with M7's. Curious if there is anyone out there that has had success getting an M7/MSS car out of the hole with let's say a Sub 2 second 60' to net a respectable ET?

Looks like it's time for some DR's????
Yep... DR's are definitely the way to go.. I went with an 18 X 12.5 and a MT345. (Taller the sidewall, the better) Been on the road track lately, only once at the strip in 100* heat. Ran a 7.80 with very little spin. Will get much better once I get the launch down. I have MPSS for street use but wouldn't even try them at the track if I were looking for a number. Good luck.

BTW, Tony at DV8 is who I purchased the wheels and tires from. He's a drag racer and knows his stuff.

tony@dv8motoring.com

www.dv8motoring.com
Old 10-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I sold my 15 M7 and got a 16 A8 for this, and a few other, reasons. I don't think you are going to be happy, even with drs, with the lack of a decent launch without getting a custom tune. It's just engineeried to protect that clutch so well that hard launches ie sub 2.0 are almost impossible. Yes I know that there have been a very few to get good passes with them, but they are the exception not the norm. Just for comparison I ran mine for the first time last Thursday night in fairly humid and warm air,ie not ideal, but it ran 7.29 and 7.22 twice in a row with 100 MPH on all 3 passes. Just put it in drive and turned off tc. Oh, almost forgot it went 1.74 and 1.70 on the previously discussed passes for the 60'.

Here again those aren't stellar times, but my best 1/8 pass ever with my M7 was a 7.66 with drs and 1.98 60'. Most were 8.00s or worse when blowing the tires off and then falling on its face just before the 1-2 shift. It was very frustrating for me a drag racer for over 36 years.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 10-11-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:29 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Well, an A8 is out of the question for me as I enjoy rowing through the gears when driving on the streets. Not worth sacrificing that enjoyment for the 1 or 2 times I'm at the dragstrip every few months.

I'm not looking to smash any world record ET's, just looking for better performance and consistency out of the hole. I'd be ecstatic to have a car that would turn 11.50's consistently give or take a tenth or two depending on track conditions.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:46 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Do a search in the C6 or C6Z section for Rangers launch techniques. This tutorial will greatly help your 60' with a manual.

Last edited by 383vett; 10-12-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:02 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Well, an A8 is out of the question for me as I enjoy rowing through the gears when driving on the streets. Not worth sacrificing that enjoyment for the 1 or 2 times I'm at the dragstrip every few months.

I'm not looking to smash any world record ET's, just looking for better performance and consistency out of the hole. I'd be ecstatic to have a car that would turn 11.50's consistently give or take a tenth or two depending on track conditions.
If you're only looking for 11.5's I'd suggest a standard street launch. low rpm then roll on gas and go from there.

Best,
Gene

And yes M7 > A8 unless you live at the drag strip....which probably would be an ugly house.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:57 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Originally Posted by 383vett
Do a search in the C6 or C6Z section for Rangers launch techniques. This tutorial will greatly help your 60" with a manual.
Found this: http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Launch_Tips.html

Good stuff, I think I'll still invest in DR's before my next trip to the strip, but will definitely employ the Ranger's recommendations.

BTW, just before I go to the Streetcar Takeover event in Phoenix, one of the Cordes Magnacharged C7's hit the wall.

Talked to the owner and apparently he ran with Traction Control and Stabilitrac off. Wondering if Stabilitrac would have prevented the car from getting that far out of shape to hit the wall????

Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 85 Posts

How are you launching your car ? exactly what are you doing ?, what setting etc..? i only ran my car a few runs when i first got it on a hot florida day but was able to get consistent 11.30s @ 124 mph by end of that day . 60' times were not impressive but only had a few runs in the car , bound to get a little better , they were around 1.9 or so . this is a manual non z07 car ( non sticky tires ) I may run it one more time on a cool day this winter , as cooler weather seems to make quite a difference and my mph was pretty bad just to see how it runs in cool weather . If you would be happy with 11.50s that really shouldnt be a problem .
Old 10-11-2015, 03:28 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Originally Posted by hardhattg
How are you launching your car ? exactly what are you doing ?, what setting etc..? i only ran my car a few runs when i first got it on a hot florida day but was able to get consistent 11.30s @ 124 mph by end of that day . 60' times were not impressive but only had a few runs in the car , bound to get a little better , they were around 1.9 or so . this is a manual non z07 car ( non sticky tires ) I may run it one more time on a cool day this winter , as cooler weather seems to make quite a difference and my mph was pretty bad just to see how it runs in cool weather . If you would be happy with 11.50s that really shouldnt be a problem .
Track Mode, traction control off. I may be a bit too aggressive with throttle and clutch though. Didn't let any air out of tires either.....

Car only trapped 120 stock in maybe 100 degrees a month ago and 122 mph in 85 degrees with a Halltech Stinger last night.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:18 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 85 Posts

Track Mode, traction control off. I may be a bit too aggressive with throttle and clutch though. Didn't let any air out of tires either.....

Car only trapped 120 stock in maybe 100 degrees a month ago and 122 mph in 85 degrees with a Halltech Stinger last night.

those are the lowest trap speeds i have seen reported . heat and humidity really effects these engines .

For what its worth . i would would take " some " pressure out of the tires . Get some heat into them before each run and do a "quick" slip of the clutch .

seems like you have two problems , launching and high temps working against you at the start and finish lines ! ,

Not sure where you are but its got to get cooler soon .

Good luck and have fun !
Old 10-11-2015, 06:03 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Originally Posted by hardhattg
those are the lowest trap speeds i have seen reported . heat and humidity really effects these engines .

For what its worth . i would would take " some " pressure out of the tires . Get some heat into them before each run and do a "quick" slip of the clutch .

seems like you have two problems , launching and high temps working against you at the start and finish lines ! ,

Not sure where you are but its got to get cooler soon .

Good luck and have fun !
Thanks, I agree that traps are low. Car layed down 603 HP to the tires on Tripleblk's dyno on Friday though. It's making power, so IDK what's up with the low traps.....
Old 10-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

You might be surprised. My 15 was a much more expensive car than the 16 I ordered. Yes, I had to put a little money down for the deal, but I ended up with a $400.00 less a month payment.
My best 1/4 ever in my M7 was an 11.80. I wish you well in your quest. I drag race pretty much every week so it was very important to me. I started to just put nitrous on it, but decided to trade instead.
Good luck.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:14 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I managed a 1.7 60 foot on Stock super sports with 700 at the wheels - I launched at 2500 and you have to squeeze the gas - once you are moving you can mash it - Gateway isn't known for its prep

I went back with hoosiers and managed a 1.6 60 foot - and will go back to get into the 1.5s - currently playing with my hellcat at the track so it'll be a while before I head back with the z06

I do have a set of NEW Nitto DR's on NEW splitpoke wheels 19x12 with tpms for 15 z06 - PM me if you want details

Last edited by ncrowe; 10-11-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:45 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Just remember as it gets cooler traction will get tougher unless prep is better and should you spin let out if you get any wheel hop as the thin/hard sidewall of a street tire will not absorb shock to the drivetrain as well as a drag radial with more/softer sidewall.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:47 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Found this: http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Launch_Tips.html

Good stuff, I think I'll still invest in DR's before my next trip to the strip, but will definitely employ the Ranger's recommendations.

BTW, just before I go to the Streetcar Takeover event in Phoenix, one of the Cordes Magnacharged C7's hit the wall.

Talked to the owner and apparently he ran with Traction Control and Stabilitrac off. Wondering if Stabilitrac would have prevented the car from getting that far out of shape to hit the wall????

I have seen this before when a "brand new" ZR1 hit the wall taking off. Someone told him to turn both off for best results. With Stabilitrac "on" and just the traction control "off" I have never seen one hit the wall. Goes to show be careful who you take advice from.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-12-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:25 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,228 Likes on 775 Posts

This was not a traction control off issue. A car blew up before him and the track did a crap job cleaning it up. He was on a good tire and at 60-70 it just started spinning, Nothing would have saved that. It's terrible it happened to him as he is an amazing guy! Person who posted the pics you the owner of the red C7? If so good job getting into the 10's.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

I'd be pissed if my car went into a wall thanks to crappy clean-up!

Get notified of new replies

To M7 + Super Sports = Fail at the drag strip!

Old 10-12-2015, 12:51 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Traction control "off" / Stabilitrac "On". One push of the button.

I have started spinning most likely a little over half way down the track in my 11.3/125 mph A6 GS for a "good distance/time" and I was ready to let off the gas but the car kept going straight as an arrow (that surprised the hell out of me) and eventually hooked back up. My thought at the time was "WOW" that stabilitrac ready does work! It sure wasn't the driver.

PS: Because of that experience and seeing what has happen to others, I never go down the 1/4 with the Stabilitrac "Off".

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-12-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:52 AM
ser2fast
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
This was not a traction control off issue. A car blew up before him and the track did a crap job cleaning it up. He was on a good tire and at 60-70 it just started spinning, Nothing would have saved that. It's terrible it happened to him as he is an amazing guy! Person who posted the pics you the owner of the red C7? If so good job getting into the 10's.

Definitely not a traction control "off" issue. It was the drivers first time at the track, 700 HP car, Stabilitrak off, and a 20" DR tire just not being enough.

The car that broke earlier was actually in the other lane.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:24 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

I was at the Street Car Takeover on Saturday night and I saw that white C7 on the trailer...I heard the same thing as another poster stated...poor track prep after an earlier car failed. Really feel bad for the owner and I hope everything works out.

In terms of the event...to be honest there weren't many C7's there at the strip on Saturday. There was a nice red C7 (non Z) I believe that was running low 11's, maybe he got into the 10's I don't know...but the car sounded great. There were a lot of C5 and C6's vettes...otherwise mostly your typically stuff...There was a 700hp GTR that ran 10.65...but I woulda thought with that power and 4wd it woulda ran a bit better...

Overall it was a cool event with some neat stuff...few drag cars running in the 7's and low 8's...Can't wait for Top Fuel in a few months!!!

Quick Reply: M7 + Super Sports = Fail at the drag strip!