C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Road & Track PCOTY

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:36 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Default Road & Track PCOTY

Based on the article, how do you think the Z did? I'm thinking its a no brainier the ACR got the best time.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/a27092/corvette-z06-pcoty-opinion/

Popular Reply

10-20-2015, 07:52 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Unfortunately the image of the car is already made. At this point only a new generation of Z06 can have a different image.
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard...So you're saying that less than 12 months into production the 'image' of the C7Z is already made and there is NOTHING that can be done about it despite the fact that they will likely be making these cars for another 4-5 years. Hmmm...

Yeah Porsche went ahead and replaced all the engines on the latest GT3 (2 years in a row)...yet it hasn't seemed to affect it's image...but hey, "the image is already made" the only thing that could save Porsche is a new generation GT3

Wish people would stop acting like the car is a p.o.s. It's not.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I would think the ACR was faster around NCM. It would be very surprising if it was not. Dodge put a lot of good stuff in an already very track capable car. In the end, it's a subjective choice for buyers.
S.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:55 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I would think the ACR was faster around NCM. It would be very surprising if it was not. Dodge put a lot of good stuff in an already very track capable car. In the end, it's a subjective choice for buyers.
S.
I agree, but everyone knows the ACR is faster. Either way, besides price and horsepower, they don't really compare. 1 is essentially a street legal race car and the other is a street car that is pretty good on the track.

I think the Z06 did pretty well honestly. That's of course minus the oil heating that occured, but they said everything but the ACR overheated something. Most people have a perception about the Z06 being a bad car, but honestly it really doesn't do its job bad. If Chevy can figure out a fix (or as members have done with multiple techniques) for the oil heating issue, this car will be better than it already is.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:02 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

If GM over-engineered the C7 to have a very robust cooling from the getgo, we wouldn't have all this sporadic issues, controversy, and/or complaints.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts

Should we shoot for 10 pages speculating/arguing about what the results might be......then another 10 pages arguing about why the results (whatever they may be) are wrong/irrelevant/unfair?
Old 10-20-2015, 06:26 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Quoted:

"So the Z06 was pretty well-behaved during PCOTY. It's easy to see, however, that unless your favorite local racetrack is one of those Canadian snow courses where they put spiked tires on old Vettes (meaning Chevettes) and run them until somebody crashes into a wall of ice, you're going to occasionally face heat-related issues using this remarkably powerful and hugely complex sportscar in open-lapping sessions. "
The following users liked this post:
racerx8 (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Its interesting that now they just openly admit that everyone expects the z06 to overheat or blow the motor. Comments like that definitely do not help the image of the car.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Its interesting that now they just openly admit that everyone expects the z06 to overheat or blow the motor. Comments like that definitely do not help the image of the car.
Unfortunately the image of the car is already made. At this point only a new generation of Z06 can have a different image.
MEJ (10-23-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 07:52 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard...So you're saying that less than 12 months into production the 'image' of the C7Z is already made and there is NOTHING that can be done about it despite the fact that they will likely be making these cars for another 4-5 years. Hmmm...

Yeah Porsche went ahead and replaced all the engines on the latest GT3 (2 years in a row)...yet it hasn't seemed to affect it's image...but hey, "the image is already made" the only thing that could save Porsche is a new generation GT3

The following 6 users liked this post by ZoratZ06:
Bwright (10-21-2015), KustomsbyKev (10-21-2015), Lavender (10-23-2015), Lrn2Swm (10-20-2015), NMC7Z06JJ (10-21-2015), REDZED2 (10-30-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06

I didn't say GM can't make the car better, but they almost certainly can't change wide spread public perception. Look at the Porsche 996. They sell at huge discounts today compared to other 911s even though Porsche quickly dealt with the engine bearing issue. It's called a PR disaster.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 PM
LT=LegendaryTorque26
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm new here but I just got a 15' Z06 last week. I haven't taken her on the track yet but I'm planning on it. I just think a lot of people are being very unrealistic with their expectations and overreacting. People really think they're going to be able to beat on a 650hp car that goes for under 100k all day long? Even cars going for 200k an up will overheat if you beat on them long enough. I believe it's not about the car overheating, just that GM set their self up for failure with its marketing campaign. GM kept saying most track capable vette ever and people started expecting a full on street legal race car. The car is everything what GM made it out to be imo. Most track capable means it is the fastest corvette around a track not the longest lasting around one.
kenownr (10-22-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:53 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by LT=LegendaryTorque26
I'm new here but I just got a 15' Z06 last week. I haven't taken her on the track yet but I'm planning on it. I just think a lot of people are being very unrealistic with their expectations and overreacting. People really think they're going to be able to beat on a 650hp car that goes for under 100k all day long? Even cars going for 200k an up will overheat if you beat on them long enough. I believe it's not about the car overheating, just that GM set their self up for failure with its marketing campaign. GM kept saying most track capable vette ever and people started expecting a full on street legal race car. The car is everything what GM made it out to be imo. Most track capable means it is the fastest corvette around a track not the longest lasting around one.
:agree:Very well put.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:14 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696
Should we shoot for 10 pages speculating/arguing about what the results might be......then another 10 pages arguing about why the results (whatever they may be) are wrong/irrelevant/unfair?
Shoot for it or not, that's all this thread will ever amount to, just like the 2,000 similar threads started every day. Some of us just enjoy our Z06s every day while others whine about Z06s they've never driven. Those who DO have Z06s and still want to whine, please go trade them for Vipers. GM needs to know you care and Dodge needs your money.
REDZED2 (10-30-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 12:21 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
Shoot for it or not, that's all this thread will ever amount to, just like the 2,000 similar threads started every day. Some of us just enjoy our Z06s every day while others whine about Z06s they've never driven. Those who DO have Z06s and still want to whine, please go trade them for Vipers. GM needs to know you care and Dodge needs your money.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:39 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Would anyone consider buying the 2016 ACR with all the talk about Viper closing down in 2017? It would be a shame if this happens but I don't understand the point of doing the R&D on the new ACR just to shut down the factory the following year.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/vi...ng-101007.html
Old 10-21-2015, 10:41 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Would anyone consider buying the 2016 ACR with all the talk about Viper closing down in 2017? It would be a shame if this happens but I don't understand the point of doing the R&D on the new ACR just to shut down the factory the following year.
why would you not consider the ACR?

If corvette was going out of business would you not buy the last MY in history of the car? It may actually hold it's value better (especially a rare model like ACR).
Old 10-21-2015, 11:47 AM
LT=LegendaryTorque26
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ857
:agree:Very well put.
Thanks and here she is...

Get notified of new replies

To Road & Track PCOTY

Old 10-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The ACR will be an awesome track car, and now that people are taking delivery of not only the base cars, but Extremes, real world feedback is imminent. While I haven't been compelled to buy a Gen V, the ACR is very attractive (to me, anyway).
For those of us that will track these cars (and I know you do ), I think the question will be how well the dealer network will support the car. It seems a little sketchy now, and I wonder if it will get worse if Viper is discontinued. From what I have read, in some cases owners have had lots of issues relative to getting service issues addressed. Thankfully, I have a friend who is a Viper tech at a local dealer, so I 'think' I would be fine.
S.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:59 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
why would you not consider the ACR?

If corvette was going out of business would you not buy the last MY in history of the car? It may actually hold it's value better (especially a rare model like ACR).
Because just like every new release. It takes a year or two to work out the bugs and to provide support for who ever bought first year model. This will not happen if they are closing down the factory the following year.

Don't take me wrong, I like the new ACR and I think its a very cool car. I have even put a question on ask Tadge if GM would provide the track version of the C7 that is more track focused like the ACR but the thread was locked immediately.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:17 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Because just like every new release. It takes a year or two to work out the bugs and to provide support for who ever bought first year model. This will not happen if they are closing down the factory the following year.

Don't take me wrong, I like the new ACR and I think its a very cool car. I have even put a question on ask Tadge if GM would provide the track version of the C7 that is more track focused like the ACR but the thread was locked immediately.
Yes I'm hoping that will be the zr1 zora but like you, I have tried to make threads about it and they immediately get shut down. I'm hoping it's the zr1 zora and not a Cadillac because cadi's are overpriced and don't look good to me as well as their resale value is laughable. Plus the corvette is supposed to be the fastest car from gm. On a side note I hope they don't charge a crazy amount for the zora like ford is doing with the new GT. It needs to be somewhat obtainable and needs to stay competitive with the acr and gtr so between 100-150k.

Quick Reply: Road & Track PCOTY