C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Great time at MIR Track Rental

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:32 PM
wfarmer.z
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Great time at MIR Track Rental

My good friends Chris and John have CTS V's and invited me to a rental at Maryland International Raceway yesterday. Joe Eastwood trailered the car up there for me, and has been a huge help in my quest. He's an avid racer, & Virginia motorsports Park champion. He's been a major help in adjusting tire pressures and launch techniques trying to squeeze everything we can out of this Z06. Felt a little bad because he got a ticket when we were coming across the bridge into Maryland for talking on his cell phone, although as you can see from the picture… That's Joe I wasn't expecting too much since we didn't have any negative DA, but the track was hooking and just about everyone in our group set a new personal best. We were even able to help one of Chris's CTS V buddies who showed up with a brand-new 2016 7 speed Z06 get into the 10's using our drag pack. What was especially impressive was the car only had 300 miles on it! Although Jerry can definitely drive. Much to my surprise later in the day we set a new personal best, and raised the bar above Big Nasty's 10.37, something that we weren't expecting without a -1000DA! We also were able to back it up bolting back on the stock wheels and running a new personal best of 10.53 on factory rubber. It was a good showing for Corvettes, there was one there from Synergy out of New York with just a tune and a drag pack that went 10.17. Chris' CTS V Coupe snapped its driveshaft on a 9 second pass. There's a decent amount of lead time on getting a carbon fiber replacement so he generously given me his spot at the Corvette forum rental at Maryland international Raceway this coming Friday. I may get with Zip products this week and see if there's a few bolts on we can do now that We have acquired the stock record again. It will be interesting to see what it takes to put this car in the 9's.
Attached Images   

Last edited by wfarmer.z; 11-15-2015 at 02:09 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by wfarmer.z:
Hemi Dave (11-18-2015), Lavender (11-14-2015), Snorman (11-14-2015), tail_lights (11-15-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Extremely impressive, congrats. That 136.7 mph trap speed is ridiculous for a stock car even on a tire.
S.
The following 3 users liked this post by Snorman:
3 Z06ZR1 (11-16-2015), Lavender (11-14-2015), tail_lights (11-15-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Is this your car with the drag radials only? Crazy trap speed. ...
Old 11-14-2015, 10:09 PM
l888apex
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great runs! A8 or M7? What Aero package?
Old 11-14-2015, 10:12 PM
wfarmer.z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snorman
Extremely impressive, congrats. That 136.7 mph trap speed is ridiculous for a stock car even on a tire.
S.
It was definitely running strong yesterday! Only changes were a new set of Hoosier drag radials, and instead of borrowing 18 inch weld Skinnies, this was our first outing on a full CCW drag pack . Thanks
Old 11-14-2015, 10:13 PM
wfarmer.z
Instructor

Originally Posted by l888apex
Great runs! A8 or M7? What Aero package?
A8. Standard aero package.
The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (11-15-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 11:07 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Man that's moving! High traps for sure.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:21 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

What was the stock tire trap speed?
S.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:15 AM
wfarmer.z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snorman
What was the stock tire trap speed?
S.
Here's the slip from the street tires. Not quite as good as big nasty's 10.42, But still very impressive run considering that before yesterday that would've been faster than our drag pack time
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2015, 03:39 AM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

That trap on the drag pack, jesus christ..
Old 11-15-2015, 07:47 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the "drag pack"?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:04 AM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wfarmer.z
My good friends Chris and John have CTS V's and invited me to a rental at Maryland International Raceway yesterday. I wasn't expecting too much since we didn't have any negative DA, but the track was hooking and just about everyone in our group set a new personal best. We were even able to help one of Chris's CTS V buddies who showed up with a brand-new 2016 7 speed Z06 get into the 10's using our drag pack. What was especially impressive was the car only had 300 miles on it! Although Jerry can definitely drive. Much to my surprise later in the day we set a new personal best, and raised the bar above Big Nasty's 10.37, something that we weren't expecting without a -1000DA! We also were able to back it up bolting back on the stock wheels and running a new personal best of 10.53 on factory rubber. It was a good showing for Corvettes, there was one there from Synergy out of New York with just a tune and a drag pack that went 10.17. Chris' CTS V Coupe snapped its driveshaft on a 9 second pass. There's a decent amount of lead time on getting a carbon fiber replacement so he generously given me his spot at the Corvette forum rental at Maryland international Raceway this coming Friday. I may get with Zip products this week and see if there's a few bolts on we can do now that We have acquired the stock record again. It will be interesting to see what it takes to put this car in the 9's.
must have been one hell of a tail wind
Old 11-15-2015, 08:25 AM
NGS
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice to see traps speeds that I had expected...and a great time as well.

One has to believe that with standard bolt-ons, a great tune, good air and track prep along with a "diet" that these new Z's could easily dip into the 9's with traps approaching (or exceeding) 140.

BTW...would anyone consider a "pulley-down" as a "bolt-on?"
Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 AM
NGS
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rattt g
must have been one hell of a tail wind

Old 11-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Chris23120
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the "drag pack"?
I was at the track racing my CTS V with Farmer and crew. There must be something more to the air than just DA (density altitude). The track was hooking, but just about everybody was running higher mile per hour than normal. There were some points during the day it could've been a tailwind. Before my driveshaft broke I made three passes. All of them were in the high 9's at a big (for me) mph (141). I know Mr. Farmer well and can assure you that he takes the C7 fast list rules very seriously. I was quite happy to see him finally recover the record. That car is just begging for a pulley, tune, and headers.

Glenn, to answer your question a drag pack is an aftermarket set of wheels that are typically extremely lightweight and very narrow in the front to reduce weight and rolling resistance, then typically the widest tire possible in the rear on the smallest diameter rim that you can run and clear the rear calipers. Here's a picture of my car on a weld drag pack .
Attached Images  

Last edited by Chris23120; 11-15-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:34 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Insane! Love that MPH!!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:01 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Great job.

Get notified of new replies

To Great time at MIR Track Rental

Old 11-15-2015, 06:36 PM
anti_venom
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wfarmer.z
My good friends Chris and John have CTS V's and invited me to a rental at Maryland International Raceway yesterday. Joe Eastwood trailered the car up there for me, and has been a huge help in my quest. He's an avid racer, & Virginia motorsports Park champion. He's been a major help in adjusting tire pressures and launch techniques trying to squeeze everything we can out of this Z06. Felt a little bad because he got a ticket when we were coming across the bridge into Maryland for talking on his cell phone, although as you can see from the picture… That's Joe I wasn't expecting too much since we didn't have any negative DA, but the track was hooking and just about everyone in our group set a new personal best. We were even able to help one of Chris's CTS V buddies who showed up with a brand-new 2016 7 speed Z06 get into the 10's using our drag pack. What was especially impressive was the car only had 300 miles on it! Although Jerry can definitely drive. Much to my surprise later in the day we set a new personal best, and raised the bar above Big Nasty's 10.37, something that we weren't expecting without a -1000DA! We also were able to back it up bolting back on the stock wheels and running a new personal best of 10.53 on factory rubber. It was a good showing for Corvettes, there was one there from Synergy out of New York with just a tune and a drag pack that went 10.17. Chris' CTS V Coupe snapped its driveshaft on a 9 second pass. There's a decent amount of lead time on getting a carbon fiber replacement so he generously given me his spot at the Corvette forum rental at Maryland international Raceway this coming Friday. I may get with Zip products this week and see if there's a few bolts on we can do now that We have acquired the stock record again. It will be interesting to see what it takes to put this car in the 9's.
Thanks for all your help and the use of your drag pack. I just got a spot for friday also.(thanks Rick RKT56) I will be there with more miles and hope to set the stock M7 record. I think with some seat time and -DA we can get a 10.60 out of the car. Do you know of someone selling a drag pack or just rears?

The slip below is a bone stock M7 2016 ZO7 stage 3 AERO with 300 miles one it. I was running Wfarmer.z 18" rears.

Hemi Dave (11-18-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 12:50 AM
wfarmer.z
Instructor

Originally Posted by anti_venom
Thanks for all your help and the use of your drag pack. I just got a spot for friday also.(thanks Rick RKT56) I will be there with more miles and hope to set the stock M7 record. I think with some seat time and -DA we can get a 10.60 out of the car. Do you know of someone selling a drag pack or just rears?

The slip below is a bone stock M7 2016 ZO7 stage 3 AERO with 300 miles one it. I was running Wfarmer.z 18" rears.

Get some miles on that Z this week! My car definitely got faster with miles... Great to hear you secured a spot for friday, See you at MIR! Here is the video of my new PB on stock tires.

anti_venom (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris23120
I was at the track racing my CTS V with Farmer and crew. There must be something more to the air than just DA (density altitude). The track was hooking, but just about everybody was running higher mile per hour than normal. There were some points during the day it could've been a tailwind. Before my driveshaft broke I made three passes. All of them were in the high 9's at a big (for me) mph (141). I know Mr. Farmer well and can assure you that he takes the C7 fast list rules very seriously. I was quite happy to see him finally recover the record. That car is just begging for a pulley, tune, and headers.

Glenn, to answer your question a drag pack is an aftermarket set of wheels that are typically extremely lightweight and very narrow in the front to reduce weight and rolling resistance, then typically the widest tire possible in the rear on the smallest diameter rim that you can run and clear the rear calipers. Here's a picture of my car on a weld drag pack .
Where is this C7 z06 Fast List located?

Quick Reply: Great time at MIR Track Rental