C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Just finished the Corvette Class at Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:29 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Did you drive Z06 cars? Was talking to these folks at Carlisle and they said the classes where strictly Stingray cars? But I am looking for level 3 as I did 1 and 2 already. Perhaps they use Stingrays in level 3?
What you drive for the Corvette Class depends on what you bought. If you have a Z06, you drive a Z06 and likewise for a Stingray. On some of the exercises, like the wet pad, everyone drove a Stingray but for the track time, it was what you owned.

Steve
Old 11-16-2015, 06:39 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 67*427
What you drive for the Corvette Class depends on what you bought. If you have a Z06, you drive a Z06 and likewise for a Stingray. On some of the exercises, like the wet pad, everyone drove a Stingray but for the track time, it was what you owned.

Steve
The Z06s were all Z07s fitted with Pilot Super Sport tires. My understanding is that the brakes pads were replaced, the brake fluid was switched to Dot 4 and a mild track alignment was done to improve handling.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:03 PM
CT Z06 Pilot
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The extra day is the last day of the Level 1 class. The Corvette Owner's Class is the first two days of the Level 1 Class. I don't know the cost but I'm going to discuss with them. As for curriculum, I'm not sure other than more track and class room time but the full Level 1 class is required before Level 2 which is more advanced.

Steve
When the class was over, the instructor (Ritchie) told me not to bother with level 1 and go straight to level 2....

Anthony
Old 10-20-2017, 12:09 PM
CT Z06 Pilot
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW!!!

A friend of mine who bought a twin to my Z06 (A8) and I just did the two day class at Spring Mountain and I have to tell you, it is a GREAT facility with a LOAD of TOP DRAWER instructors. I came away with a BRAND NEW appreciation for our Z06! I thought I could drive "alright" before the class but after just two days, I REALLY appreciate that car.

I think that anyone that purchases a C7 should strongly consider taking the class and I will go so far as to say I believe it should be MANDATORY if you buy a Z06! I know that's not possible but guys, without some formal training in THAT car, unless you have a LOT of experience with high performance cars, you will NEVER approach the capabilities of the vehicle or more importantly, understand how it can and will protect you if you let it and how quickly it can hurt you if you don't

I'm seriously considering returning for the last of the Level 1 class (it's one additional day after the Corvette Class) and then doing Level 2.

If I can answer any questions, I will be happy to but better yet, TAKE THE CLASS. It will be the best "accessory" you can buy for your C7!!!

If you call them, tell them Steve D and Art said HI!

Steve
Hi Steve,

I believe you were in the same class as I was..... So, I ask the instructor the dumb question "What's the biggest difference between the C6 and C7 Z06?" He told me "Night & day.... You're going to want to get a new Z06....." Man, I hate that guy....

Picked it up yesterday....
The following users liked this post:
Perf n Restore (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 11:16 AM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilver
Let us know what you find out about the 3rd day and if you can do it without the other 2 days. I really think the 3rd day would have made a big difference given more track time and feedback. Does anyone know if they do video review on the 3rd day or at level 2? Just watching it when I got home showed me where I need work and being able to get back on the track after seeing it would make a big difference. Great worthwhile trip!! Fantastic Facility!
I went back in August and was hooked. I’m going back in Dec. I wanted to do the Level 1 but it was full so doing the owners school again. When I booked my August class I had asked about adding the 3rd day. They said that they used to do that but don’t offer it any longer. I guess you could pay for a day of private instruction and do the curriculum of the 3rd day of Level 1? I don’t have the info with me, but I believe the cost of the Level 1 course in a Z06/GS is $5600 and in a Stingray it’s $4500?
From what I have heard the 3rd day is open track. Meaning you don’t follow an instructor. They space the cars out when you enter the track by 30 sec or so. There is also limited passing, on straights I believe? Also, there is a session(s) where an instructor rides along with you and gives you pointers.
I agree that being able to review your PDR video between sessions would help a lot. I thought I had pretty good lines and after watching the video when I got home I saw some places that I could have improved on. But they have the owners school timed out to the second, I don’t think they could do video review and cover the other classroom topics that they do. Maybe in Level 1 and/or 2 they have the time to do some review?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by CT Grand Sport CE
I went back in August and was hooked. I’m going back in Dec. I wanted to do the Level 1 but it was full so doing the owners school again. When I booked my August class I had asked about adding the 3rd day. They said that they used to do that but don’t offer it any longer. I guess you could pay for a day of private instruction and do the curriculum of the 3rd day of Level 1? I don’t have the info with me, but I believe the cost of the Level 1 course in a Z06/GS is $5600 and in a Stingray it’s $4500?
From what I have heard the 3rd day is open track. Meaning you don’t follow an instructor. They space the cars out when you enter the track by 30 sec or so. There is also limited passing, on straights I believe? Also, there is a session(s) where an instructor rides along with you and gives you pointers.
I agree that being able to review your PDR video between sessions would help a lot. I thought I had pretty good lines and after watching the video when I got home I saw some places that I could have improved on. But they have the owners school timed out to the second, I don’t think they could do video review and cover the other classroom topics that they do. Maybe in Level 1 and/or 2 they have the time to do some review?
The first year the COS was essentially the first two days of Level 1 but that changed... the COS became more of an educational 2 day course to familiarize owners with their car and its features PLUS introduce the various performance driving concepts.

Level 1 is less an “owner’s school” and more an intro to performance driving techniques. Based on that the 3rd day (optional) on Level 1 is a natural progression. You begin by leading laps with instructor car behind you... which is a totally different feeling and way to see the track. No more "hints" for turn-in, braking, etc... it's all up to you and all of a sudden the track is VERY different. It forces you to apply what you've been learning the previous 2 days. You will progress to “open lapping” where you’re out with other students cars and limited passing. You get a number of laps with instructor in passenger seat to give you tips to improve you lapping. This "Day 3" is where everything really starts to "come together".

Level 2 continues where Level 1 left off... The second day is timed by a recording system and you get a printout at end of day of your lapping session times to see your improvements through the day and match to your PDR videos. It’s a great learning tool and a step into doing your own “Track Days” if you end up going that route later on.

A Private Session is basically a day of 1-on-1 instruction focusing on the things you’ve arranged to work on... they are scheduled in advanced... need to be approved... the person who oversees this I believe is Rick M.

I’ve done several Private Days... they are fantastic but not cheap. Super intense... great learning experiences.

Last edited by Questar; 10-24-2017 at 02:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CT Grand Sport CE (10-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Just finished the Corvette Class at Spring Mountain