C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

I need a recommendation for Tire pressures for AutoX w/ SS tires and Track Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 02:18 PM
SRTRick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need a recommendation for Tire pressures for AutoX w/ SS tires and Track Alignment

Hi there, I would appreciate any informed recommendations for tire pressures with the non Z07 stock tires and a track alignment. I tried 31 pounds for an autocross before the car was broken in and I was driving slowly and did not have the track alignment, but my before specs were still fairly good for camber with about 1.4 degrees negative so its not that big a change to the track specs. I would typically run considerably higher pressures than this, but with the really wide tires and good camber I am wondering if something in the 31 to 33 pound range would be preferable? Temps will be cool at around 70 degrees and it will be a single lap on a cone infested race track.

Thanks in advance for any real world experience here!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:13 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

I would think that 33 to 34 psi would be more ideal since the tires want get very warm. From my experience the SS tires perform best at 34 psi. But fade quickly once they hit 36 psi.

Also side note. Check your pressures with a good gauge. I found that both of my sets of wheels with sensors measure slightly different than a really good gauge. I have found a 4 psi difference in what the computer says and what my good gauge says.

Good luck!

Post up some PDR data. I love seeing auto crossing.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:26 PM
SRTRick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response!!! I have a way too expensive longacre digital gauge that is really accurate so I'm good there. I set the tires at 33 as a safe pressure at 70 degrees this morning, so they will probably range from 32 to 35 at the temps I will be seeing while driving. I will chalk the right tires to see how it goes as far as rolling onto the edge - almost all left turns there.

I'll try to remember to turn on the PDR, but I'm so unused to the car that I tend to forget while I am setting the modes and displays and such. What it will show if I remember is a guy who hasn't had this fast a car for years and is really going to have to get used to it's capabilities to get into the hunt. Track events won't be as bad, but autocross stuff will be coming up much faster than I am used to at this point. Last autocross was in a Mini Cooper, LOL.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I have been setting the rear tire pressures 2 to 3 psi lower than fronts on all my Vettes since I started autocrossing my 86 20+ years ago. Earlier this year I autocrossed my son's Z51 and after the first run dropped the pressures (from 35psi) so the fronts were 30 front and 28 rear. On the first run the car was sliding all over the course on the second run it was a changed animal. The rear had much more grip and the fronts pushed in a way that I hadn't expected but once I picked up on the way the car was driving I was able to compensate and bettered my previous time. The way the car was pushing I had the impression the eDiff was doing something to the way the car was turning. It was definitely reacting differently than my 86, 97, 03Z and 08Z.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To I need a recommendation for Tire pressures for AutoX w/ SS tires and Track Alignment

Quick Reply: I need a recommendation for Tire pressures for AutoX w/ SS tires and Track Alignment