C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 Retest at Laguna Seca Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RC000E
T-boned...damn...that ain't good. No choice but to go all in then...build it...
I tried. Gutted and caged but it was still heavy so I put the interior back in.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:52 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Guys chill! I honestly don't know what to say about this argument, so I'll just stay out of it.

Although Sam, how is it a piece of crap? Sure it overheated, but why not get the GMPP secondary radiator and LG Motorsports radiator, wrap the oil lines and oil cooler? Those 3 mods alone would help keep temps down. I know theres the whole warranty aspect, but honestly, if the car is running better at the track with an aftermarket radiator, that's probably better than pushing oil to 320 degrees.

Last edited by four0nefive; 12-03-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Guys chill! I honestly don't know what to say about this argument, so I'll just stay out of it.

Although Sam, how is it a piece of crap? Sure it overheated, but why not get the GMPP secondary radiator and LG Motorsports radiator, wrap the oil lines and oil cooler? Those 3 mods alone would help keep temps down. I know theres the whole warranty aspect, but honestly, if the car is running better at the track with an aftermarket radiator, that's probably better than pushing oil to 320 degrees.
It's junk to me because even all those mods aren't enough to get the oil temps down to a realistic number, the power steering overheats, the brakes were bad(I switched to steel which fixed the problem), shifter pops out under high g's, fuel starvation, mass air flow sensor faluire.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:30 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucansam
It's junk to me because even all those mods aren't enough to get the oil temps down to a realistic number, the power steering overheats, the brakes were bad(I switched to steel which fixed the problem), shifter pops out under high g's, fuel starvation, mass air flow sensor faluire.
Well I'm sorry you bought the car and it didn't meet your expectations. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the next car you decide to buy.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:51 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Is it possible that you are dealing with lemon car? Everyone knows about overheating issues but two guys I know run Ron Davis radiator and they kept the oil at 275F at the end of 25 minutes sessions in advance level in 90F ambient. No other issues at all. I have heard about powersteering overheating on few cars which now has a solution as well. I belive part of the joy and to truly enjoy something, you gotta like it. If Civic is the anwser then why not but it's not for everyone. Life is too short. Get rid of the Z06 and get something that you like.

Last edited by 5thGear; 12-03-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Is it possible that you are dealing with lemon car? Everyone knows about overheating issues but two guys I know run Ron Davis radiator and they kept the oil at 275F at the end of 25 minutes sessions in advance level in 90F ambient. No other issues at all. I have heard about powersteering overheating on few cars which now has a solution as well. I belive part of the joy and to truly enjoy something, you gotta like it. If Civic is the anwser then why not but it's not for everyone. Life is too short. Get rid of the Z06 and get something that you like.
Guys paid a premium for the Z06(over the price of the base C7), so what's wrong with demanding that GM install a radiator at the factory, that will equal what the Ron Davis radiator will do and install at the factory ducting that will prevent the power steering electric motor from overheating.

One shouldn't have to pay a $25,000 premium(Z06 over base C7) just to have to reengineer the car once they get it in their garage just to make it perform like it was marketed by GM.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:29 AM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok I need someone to help me feel better if you can. I have been reading a few articles about self driving cars and as a car lover it's got me really depressed. Some of the articles said that self driving cars will become a mainstream option by 2025 and some even said mandatory(it will be illegal to drive your own car) by 2045. Some even went a step further and said people won't even own cars and that there will be a world wide on call service like driverless uber cars that you will just call to you and after it drops you off it will go pick up someone else.(everyone will be sharing driverless cars). I know some people will say that you will always be able to drive and own your own car but the article made it seem like you won't. They said that if the government doesn't straight up make human driving illegal the insurance companies will make it so expensive to insure a human driven car that no one but the super rich will be able to afford it. As for the private owning of a car they just said that it won't be economically feasible. That the price of the new driverless cars will be too high for the average person and the only way the the uber service companies will be able to afford them is that everyone will share a rented car.

This all makes me rather sad. I may have to find something else that I can buy, work on, and upgrade, that I use fairly regularly that I can take pride in, and for all you other car lovers, you may have to as well.

Another thing: you can kiss the sports car goodbye. You might not even own your own car and if you do are you going to let other people use it as a taxi like all the other cars. Sports cars will be conpletly usless because I HIGHLY doubt that you will be able to tell a self driving car to floor it or take a corner at a speed anywhere near what the car is capable of.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:42 AM
JMLS
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 12-04-2015, 07:29 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by theboom
Ok I need someone to help me feel better if you can. I have been reading a few articles about self driving cars and as a car lover it's got me really depressed. Some of the articles said that self driving cars will become a mainstream option by 2025 and some even said mandatory(it will be illegal to drive your own car) by 2045. Some even went a step further and said people won't even own cars and that there will be a world wide on call service like driverless uber cars that you will just call to you and after it drops you off it will go pick up someone else.(everyone will be sharing driverless cars). I know some people will say that you will always be able to drive and own your own car but the article made it seem like you won't. They said that if the government doesn't straight up make human driving illegal the insurance companies will make it so expensive to insure a human driven car that no one but the super rich will be able to afford it. As for the private owning of a car they just said that it won't be economically feasible. That the price of the new driverless cars will be too high for the average person and the only way the the uber service companies will be able to afford them is that everyone will share a rented car.

This all makes me rather sad. I may have to find something else that I can buy, work on, and upgrade, that I use fairly regularly that I can take pride in, and for all you other car lovers, you may have to as well.

Another thing: you can kiss the sports car goodbye. You might not even own your own car and if you do are you going to let other people use it as a taxi like all the other cars. Sports cars will be conpletly usless because I HIGHLY doubt that you will be able to tell a self driving car to floor it or take a corner at a speed anywhere near what the car is capable of.
Unfortunately, there are those that believe we should live a very restrictive lifestyle and personal vehicles do not fit their agenda.

They believe we should all rely on mass transit and that we should live in small apartment type housing close to where we work.

Only the ruling elite class will have the personal liberties that we, as the middle class, have now.

What do you think the whole man made global warming crap is all about?

Think Russia in the 1920's-1980's.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
Corvettinator (12-08-2015), Z06_BluByU (12-19-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 07:47 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Wut??
Old 12-04-2015, 08:03 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Guys paid a premium for the Z06(over the price of the base C7), so what's wrong with demanding that GM install a radiator at the factory, that will equal what the Ron Davis radiator will do and install at the factory ducting that will prevent the power steering electric motor from overheating.

One shouldn't have to pay a $25,000 premium(Z06 over base C7) just to have to reengineer the car once they get it in their garage just to make it perform like it was marketed by GM.
Well GM is not doing it and you can understand why (large number of people either are not tracking the car or not having these problems). At the end if you are willing to spend$25,000 premium then I don't see why you wouldn't spend a $1,000 on an aftermarket radiator. I had issues with A8 transmission overheating. I did complain to GM and even had Tadge comment on the issue. I have always stated that I love the car but I need a direction on how to solve the issue. Bottom line GM said that they will provide a kit but it will take a year. To me life is too short. I spent few thousands on transmission cooling and got to enjoy the car at Auto Club Speedway and Laguna Seca before selling it. I have Z06 on order and I already know that I will be adding the GMPP secondary radiator and maybe even combine it with Ron Davis radiator. Unless you buy a true high end track built car, you need to spend money on upgardes. One of my best friends can run a full tank on the track with no issues in his AMG SLS black series. Nothing overheats or fade. Price tag for his car was close to $400,000. Getting a Z06 and spending few thousands on upgraded is not bad afterall.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:45 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

End of days it comes down to demographics and PR value. They built a car that has high PR value, and is good enough to meet the needs/demands of the demographics which typically buy the car.

The problem is, they are competing for market share from brands which are more loved by younger, more enthusiast based drivers. So, with that, the weaknesses of the car are being more exploited. I think while many people love the car, and are Corvette guys to begin with (owned multiple...brand loyalty types), they are more willing to compromise and work with Tadge/GM, give them time, etc. When you get guys who simply looked at the car as advertised and bought it to use it like it was promoted to be used...let's be real...it comes up short.

For me, I always loved Corvettes but "Z06" really became my "dream" car when I was in high school. It was edgier, faster, aimed at the driver, the enthusiast. This C7Z...it's getting muddled. It's too refined, too much in one package, etc. End of day though, I understand that GM had limitations on the C7 program and they built what they thought would sell, so they could move forward. I personally just hope we see better iterations of Z06 ahead.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn't have no issues running a 1:29 at road atlanta. But then again all Zo6's overheat and are junk.

Guys what we have to figure out is why do some have issues and others not.

Sorry back on topic. Go Corvette!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by lawdogg149:
KustomsbyKev (12-04-2015), Lavender (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

I would get rid of it if I hadn't been t-boned on track and it is the biggest piece of **** I've owned. I'm sure you can see posts on here complaining about every issue I've had. I'm only holding on to it because the value has already been lost and I may as well see if someone comes up with a solution. I can run circles around almost any car when I'm in the zo6, but only for one timed lap. I have never had so many issues tracking a car to date. Let me guess, you've had zero issues with your car? Get some more seat time then tell me the same thing. I've had lots of guys tell me the same. Then lap times started getting better and the problems came on strong. So much that they were willing to dump them at a huge loss just to do away with them
You got t-boned on the track ? Am I reading this correctly?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:55 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
I didn't have no issues running a 1:29 at road atlanta. But then again all Zo6's overheat and are junk.

Absolutely best statement of this thread, another that has become a Z06 bashing thread by one where everyone jumps on board.
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 10:01 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I think this a good time to suggest we need a new thread category -
"Threads that have gone off topic and aggravate the c___ out of too many members who click on it to learn something about the original topic" Moderators could move threads into this section as needed. I guess the title could be shortened.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:07 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Then you see that owners like MD24 have done basic mods that get cool air right on the oil cooler as well as blocking radiant heat from the cats, and a simple mod to get air at the PS running 255 oil temps full sessions all day while having a pro driver beating on it. The fix seems to be pretty darn simple getting cool air in, while blocking radiant heat is key to any track car. Too bad some just write the Z off when for a few hundred bucks its so much better. Adding a rad is just icing on the cake, but STILL doesnt take care of the oil cooler needing cool air right on it. How is it that Lawdogg, MD24, Snorman and others that track their Z06s track day after track day setting blistering times and full sessions have no issue's? yet Catchme says its junk?

The truth is you can find this on any forum that SOME cars are just problems while most are perfect. Its sucks for some, but fantastic for most. This is across the board.

Last edited by GP1224; 12-04-2015 at 04:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GP1224:
Lavender (12-04-2015), tonypittman (01-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Retest at Laguna Seca Today

Old 12-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I feel for the folks that have had problems but it seems like we have a lot of folks complaining that have never tracked the car or don't even own one. I certainly had a great season with my C7Z.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-days.html

Feel free to look at my videos if you don't believe that I am pushing the car at a decent pace.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDS...IkweraNN2199tg
The following 4 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
Lavender (12-04-2015), pdiddy972 (12-27-2015), tonypittman (01-07-2016), truth.b (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 11:26 AM
5thGear
Drifting

This thread is for people who are excited about the C7 Z06. If anyone wants to bash the Z06, then go start your own thread.

I will be tracking my Z06 (TPW 12/14). My friends with C7 Z06 are having a blast at the track.
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149

Custom cooling solutions and a 54 degree day......

Quick Reply: Z06 Retest at Laguna Seca Today