C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 Retest at Laguna Seca Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Sure, but he's a professional race car driver, so I don't see your logic.
I never said he is not. I have seen great many videos of him driving all kinds of cars @ MRLS. Other tracks for that matter too... He always says he is pushing the car as far as his confidence will allow him to. For example the 2009 ZR1. He said this is the first car that he felt confident enough to take turn 1 I believe without lifting. I know for a fact that Jim Mero said the MPSC2 tires can handle 40ish degree temps. He had no problem running 2.:41.xx @ VIR @ 45 degree temps.. We all know where Mero comes from right? The question is: Will Randy feel confident enough to push the Z06 as hard in those temps?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:02 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Laguna Seca is right off the Pacific coast. It's pretty much in the 60's there everyday. A cold day would be 50's. Tire temps won't be an excuse.
The following users liked this post:
Fourtrax250R (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Laguna Seca is right off the Pacific coast. It's pretty much in the 60's there everyday. A cold day would be 50's. Tire temps won't be an excuse.
MT already said the temps were @ 50s when the Z06 ran.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:39 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
The overall lap times were much slower than the ACR record because the track temps were quite cool.
If this is true, then we shouldn't be holding our breath for any earth shattering times from any of these cars...
Old 12-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
If this is true, then we shouldn't be holding our breath for any earth shattering times from any of these cars...
Aside from the fact that I'm not sure you could expect as much of an effort with a press car when compared to the full effort that Dodge did a few months ago. Heck...they had a Kumho tire trailer in the pics at some of those tracks. Mag test cars aren't going to get that kind of supports.
S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snorman:
DRLC5 (12-07-2015), Lavender (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:58 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Snorman
Mag test cars aren't going to get that kind of supports.
I wouldn't bet the farm on that one...
Old 12-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Aside from the fact that I'm not sure you could expect as much of an effort with a press car when compared to the full effort that Dodge did a few months ago. Heck...they had a Kumho tire trailer in the pics at some of those tracks. Mag test cars aren't going to get that kind of supports.
S.
Seems like they sent Mero and a number of Z06's. I'd say that's a good start to adequate support.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:06 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

S.
After what happened the last time they were at Laguna, I would certainly hope they were more than adequately prepared.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:32 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Still no numbers. A La Ferrara, Porsche 918, and Mclaren P1, etc., will get around a race track faster than a Z06, so what? Most here will never race wheel to wheel and it seems the majority who do race and comment here, drag race. As a consequence, I have trouble understanding why so many care how fast their "street car" gets around a track, or for that matter if it goes 198 or 202mph etc. As somoene who has increased the hp/tq of their Z06 I do have to admit to being a member of the "crazies", who just "like" having the power. Not sure much to brag about, but I seem to have fun letting the rear end go every now and then and "feeling" the power. Best
Old 12-06-2015, 12:50 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
Still no numbers. A La Ferrara, Porsche 918, and Mclaren P1, etc., will get around a race track faster than a Z06, so what? Most here will never race wheel to wheel and it seems the majority who do race and comment here, drag race. As a consequence, I have trouble understanding why so many care how fast their "street car" gets around a track, or for that matter if it goes 198 or 202mph etc. As somoene who has increased the hp/tq of their Z06 I do have to admit to being a member of the "crazies", who just "like" having the power. Not sure much to brag about, but I seem to have fun letting the rear end go every now and then and "feeling" the power. Best
We aren't going to get numbers really quick. They just did the test a few days ago. MT still has to put together the article, edit the pictures, and if they are doing a Head to Head video, then editing the video. The thread title doesn't say "Z06 Laguna Seca Lap Time" and then doesn't have that info. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

As for why we care, we don't have a 'Ring time yet, and Laguna Seca is one of the most well known tracks in the US so it's a nice benchmark to see what the car will do.

Again, no one is forcing you to read this thread. Enjoy your Sunday!
Old 12-06-2015, 03:04 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
Track times do matter to me....although I will never be as fast as a pro diver, knowing the car has the "bones" to be capable of record or near record times is a very good starting point for me. It tells me it has the balance, braking, stiffness and overall performance that is world class, regardless of the price. I never considered a Viper until I watched the 2008 Ring record and once I compared it to the rest of the cars it had beaten, it was the main reason I bought a Gen 4. Once I educated myself on what it takes to do a sub 7:30 Ring time, I knew all the cars in that category would be special and worthy track day cars in the hands of an amateur....and with further mods would be even bigger track monsters.

Last edited by TrackAire; 12-07-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBK
And to think that the Viper ACR blows away the La Ferrara, Porsche 918, and the P1 at Laguna Seca is mind blowing.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:42 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Appreciate response, as for me, like a moth to a flame. I just find it fascinating how "we" can fill up space and never either have or find an answer to an original post (I presume the op was alerting everyone to the competition to stand by for the times). 250 digressions and still counting. No criticism, just observation of human nature. I also learn a bit about fellow owners and their thinking, i.e. those who "like to know" even if they may never be a "racer". Best

Originally Posted by four0nefive
We aren't going to get numbers really quick. They just did the test a few days ago. MT still has to put together the article, edit the pictures, and if they are doing a Head to Head video, then editing the video. The thread title doesn't say "Z06 Laguna Seca Lap Time" and then doesn't have that info. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

As for why we care, we don't have a 'Ring time yet, and Laguna Seca is one of the most well known tracks in the US so it's a nice benchmark to see what the car will do.

Again, no one is forcing you to read this thread. Enjoy your Sunday!
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
And to think that the Viper ACR blows away the La Ferrara, Porsche 918, and the P1 at Laguna Seca is mind blowing.
No hate at the ACR but it is really mind blowing? The Hyper three are really special but they aren't track cars. In my opinion they are true-to-life Halo products that were built for marketing purposes first & trickle down technology second. The Viper ACR is not that in any regards. It main focus is be the fastest around a road course with old school race proven technologies: wide tires, big engine, balanced chassis, stout suspension, and high downforce.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:14 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RBK
Appreciate response, as for me, like a moth to a flame. I just find it fascinating how "we" can fill up space and never either have or find an answer to an original post (I presume the op was alerting everyone to the competition to stand by for the times). 250 digressions and still counting. No criticism, just observation of human nature. I also learn a bit about fellow owners and their thinking, i.e. those who "like to know" even if they may never be a "racer". Best
I get what you're saying. I was the OP by the way and the point was to let people know that MT is running the Z06 at Laguna again. I know everyone was angry when Chevy sent a broken car and I figured people would be happy to see that we are finally going to see a lap time.

I can guarantee you that once the article is released or the Head 2 Head video, it'll be posted here extremely quick.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

S.
Like sending 3 Z06's this time? lol
Old 12-07-2015, 05:20 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
No hate at the ACR but it is really mind blowing? The Hyper three are really special but they aren't track cars. In my opinion they are true-to-life Halo products that were built for marketing purposes first & trickle down technology second. The Viper ACR is not that in any regards. It main focus is be the fastest around a road course with old school race proven technologies: wide tires, big engine, balanced chassis, stout suspension, and high downforce.
So those big 3 do not have wide tires, big hp engines, balanced chassis, stout suspension, and even active aero?

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Retest at Laguna Seca Today

Old 12-07-2015, 07:16 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
The hyper three could arguably be considered "trickle-up" cars. You'd be amazed at what was included in those cars, which was developed by their pro racing cars. Those cars are certainly track and performance focused. They are the epitome of what you could achieve, when no budget is required to stay under.

ACR didn't just beat all of those cars. It beat every single production car, ever produced, in the history of cars, on all 13 tracks. That is a bigger accomplishment, than beating 3-4 contemporary cars. It isn't just a 2015 record. To beat the highest technology hyper cars with a dated RWD, all-motor layout, manual transmission, etc.. is an achievement.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:26 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
The hyper three could arguably be considered "trickle-up" cars. You'd be amazed at what was included in those cars, which was developed by their pro racing cars. Those cars are certainly track and performance focused. They are the epitome of what you could achieve, when no budget is required to stay under.

ACR didn't just beat all of those cars. It beat every single production car, ever produced, in the history of cars, on all 13 tracks. That is a bigger accomplishment, than beating 3-4 contemporary cars. It isn't just a 2015 record. To beat the highest technology hyper cars with a dated RWD, all-motor layout, manual transmission, etc.. is an achievement.
They are track inspired, not track focused. Big difference between the two. None of them have GT level adjustable aero, tunable suspension or similar tires which, let's be honest are a huge reason why the ACR is so fast. All of those parts could be bolted onto a GT racing car and make it competitive. Even the hypercars aren't that track dedicated.

The ACR is a huge accomplishment, but let's be real here. The hypercars aren't being made for hardcore track guys. They are catering to people who can afford a 1-4 million dollar car and most time they will be garage queens or will never see a track. The cars are not built with the same people, or usage in mind.

Not to mention the LaFerrari will have a more dedicated track version later, the 918 already has one and who knows about the P1, and still none of them are likely to be as hardcore as the ACR.

Last edited by heavychevy; 12-07-2015 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 08:55 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Not to mention the LaFerrari will have a more dedicated track version later, the 918 already has one and who knows about the P1, and still none of them are likely to be as hardcore as the ACR.
There's gonna be a street legal track focused LaFerrari?? Also if you pay McLaren's MSO Division (Mclaren Special Operations) enough money, they'll make your P1 GTR street legal.

Quick Reply: Z06 Retest at Laguna Seca Today