C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
And if tomorrow does show up, what are you going to have to live on if you blow all your money while
"living" for today?
Well in the context of this thread, the purchaser of their dream car NOW would be able to enjoy it every day, while those who wait for tomorrow or next year can only sit and wonder what a new vette might be like.

If you want to get into the overall wealth management and financial advice discussion, that is outside the context of this thread, and buying a Z06 at any time is probably a poor wealth management decision.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:57 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
How does a cheap looking "spat" that extends out over the tire make it any better than a full fender that extends out over tire(like the wide body C6 Z06/ZR1/GS/427 Convertible)?

I don't know of anyone(including myself) that has full fenders(ie: no cheap looking "spats") extending out over the front tires, driving wide body C6's, complaining of rock chips to the paint on the front fenders.
I don't like the cheap looking spats either. If they could design unique fenders for the C6 Z06 I don't know why the could not do it for the C7 Z06. But I don't think they will change it for the current model because it would anger the current owners.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I don't like the cheap looking spats either. If they could design unique fenders for the C6 Z06 I don't know why the could not do it for the C7 Z06. But I don't think they will change it for the current model because it would anger the current owners.

I'm a current owner. I wouldn't care. But the purchasers of the new one might care, because it will drive the price up.........
Old 12-08-2015, 11:23 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
How about a Naturally aspirated striped down lower weight GT3-like variant of the ZO6 positioned between the Z51 and ZO6?
They will almost certainly make a 'Grand Sport', but I doubt it will be lower weight.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Jpjr2016
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
They will almost certainly make a 'Grand Sport', but I doubt it will be lower weight.
Interesting thought.

I had ordered a 2016 but when I got the opportunity to buy a black Z07 for $15k under sticker via discount, that front camera and latch started to sound awfully expensive lol.

Also, as far as 50hp to 700 in 2017, hopefully most realize that is at the flywheel and would have a very limited SOTP pickup. Again, not sure passing on driving a Z over the next year plus is worth it for 50 SAE.

To me, when it comes to Corvettes and Cadillacs, they only change around the edges mid-cycle. Most cars will get a bona-fide refresh but not these. I had someone ask me if my V2 was new the week that I sold it. Bought it in '09!
Old 12-08-2015, 01:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
I would wait 60 days---cars will be much more plentiful, incentives started so a better deal may be had. Sales went in the toilet last month and this month will be worse. Was up checking on mine in the shop yesterday and there must have been a dozen Z06 cars on the showroom and front porch area of the dealership. Rows of C7's----feel sorry for the sales guys the cars are not moving.
They never sell in December the best time to buy is now to the end of the year!
Old 12-08-2015, 01:41 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I have been driving my 15 Z since April. After the 16 came out I wish I had of waited for that one because of the front camera, self shutting hatch etc. I will wait until next month when they announce the changes for the 17 Z and then decide 16 or 17. For now my 15 is fine. GM likes to add on new things every year so people like me will want the newer model even though there is nothing wrong with the car we have.
IMO
Your better off staying with the 2015 and the longer warranty.
The price and beating your going to take on your 2015 make that camera and self shutting hatch pricey. If you have good one keep it. No problem here just watching what I'm doing when I'm parking.

Then shutting the hatch is very easy with the door open or window down. The new stuff is more stuff that adds weight to the already bloated weight of the new Z06. That stuff belongs
on the sedan not the Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
robertbruce (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 01:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JackTripper
They were designed that way to prevent rock chips vs painted ones. You would know this if you actually owned a Z06 rather just bashing them.
Originally Posted by OBSSSD
There shouldn't be spats on the car at all no matter what color they are. They should have widened the front fenders properly like on the rear of the car and also avoided putting a front splitter on the car that looks like cheap aftermarket parts that don't belong on the car. But it seems that they were so obsessed with adding front downforce to the car that they didn't care if they ended up making the car look worse or end up slower in a straight line than the several year old ZR1.

The fact that you think that someone needs to own a car to make a credible observation about it says a lot more about you than any comments that I have made here.

Hopefully they will fix the car so that I can buy one, instead of just adding a supercharger to my C6 GS...
You were waiting for discounts. Now it's back to being a hater again! The excuse's are limitless!
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696
I'm a current owner. I wouldn't care. But the purchasers of the new one might care, because it will drive the price up.........
Yes, the price will go up. The $4.99 set of Spats were very cost effective for GM.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Yes, the price will go up. The $4.99 set of Spats were very cost effective for GM.
Out of curiosity, how much do spats actually cost? Imo, the stage 2 spats (smaller ones) look pretty good.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:34 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Why do guys that are happy with their C6 Corvettes find it necessary to troll the C7z forum to complain about a car they do not own or even like? I don't see C7 guys trolling the C6 forum and discussing the perceived flaws with that generation.
I guess it somehow makes them feel better to criticize the C7.
I have owned each generation with the exception of C1 and outside of the mid 70's to early 80's the we're all great cars.
But as with any thing Corvettes have progressively improved over each previous generation that just the fact. Does not mean that each generation was not outstanding in it own time.
Just don't get why guys who dislike C7 hang out in this forum?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:23 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Anybody?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:38 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Any left over LS7s? How about a Naturally aspirated striped down lower weight GT3-like variant of the ZO6 positioned between the Z51 and ZO6?
That would be great by me but most people here are against reducing convenience and luxury options, usually on the argument that it would appeal to only a small segment of buyers or that, somehow, it would reduce the value of other Corvettes.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:11 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
Why do guys that are happy with their C6 Corvettes find it necessary to troll the C7z forum to complain about a car they do not own or even like? I don't see C7 guys trolling the C6 forum and discussing the perceived flaws with that generation.
I have owned each generation with the exception of C1 and outside of the mid 70's to early 80's the we're all great cars.
But as with any thing Corvettes have progressively improved over each previous generation that just the fact. Does not mean that each generation was not outstanding in it own time.
I have read somewhere here that GM spies read forums like this one to get an idea of how the public is accepting their products and to get input on new ideas. Since I don't have a direct line to anybody of any influence in product design, I throw my ideas out here.

I'm sure that the C7 and Z06 are fabulous cars, I just don't like the trend of where they are taking the design. Remember before the C7 was revealed how much speculation there was that the car would come in around or under 3000 pounds? That expectation was not totally unreasonable because of success in weight savings on the C5 and C6.

My own preference is a pure, performance focused car, and I'm just trying to get my ideas out there. They did the Z28, so I cross my fingers that a Corvette version will be coming.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:30 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

I like my luxury creature comforts to be honest... It is precisely why I went with the Vette over the Viper.... I am young, and that is okay... There are tons of luxury performance cars. It does not need to be stripped down track machine to be a good car. In fact, in general that is to their detriment for the average user.

Also, I actually like the spats. They might would be cooler in carbon fiber, or carbon flash. But they break up that part of the car, and add a little texture and color change. I think they look sharp.

Last edited by ElCid79; 12-08-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:40 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ElCid79
I like my luxury creature comforts to be honest... It is precisely why I went with the Vette over the Viper.... I am young, and that is okay... There are tons of luxury performance cars. It does not need to be stripped down track machine to be a good car. In fact, in general that is to their detriment for the average user.

Also, I actually like the spats. They might would be cooler in carbon fiber, or carbon flash. But they break up that part of the car, and add a little texture and color change. I think they look sharp.
Would you be opposed to customers having the option of buying a car with fewer luxury features? I don't think they put a gun to anybody's head.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:07 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
Why is it that some C7 guys are so intolerant when anything that isn't completely positive is brought up? GM made a heavier, slower, and less reliable track car in the C7 Z06 and they also cut corners doing it too. Is it a crime to have had higher expectations for the new platform? You are a newbie, so maybe you can answer the question for us

It apparently has never dawned on some people that maybe most C6 owners really wanted and looked forward to buying a C7, but some are simply too disappointed in the current offerings to actually do it. Thus, they decide to express their displeasure on a board like this hoping GM will listen to those consumers who just might end up being lost sales in the future

Get notified of new replies

To 2017

Old 12-09-2015, 12:20 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Would you be opposed to customers having the option of buying a car with fewer luxury features? I don't think they put a gun to anybody's head.
I would be totally cool with that. However, it likely would be more expensive than the base car, even though it has less stuff. Simply because the assembly lines are set and tooled for the 1lz, 2lz, and 3lz. To start pulling stuff off, would likely require more work, and more custom parts, than installing the current trim setups.

For example. If you didn't want the whole infotainment center, it would require a different center console. If you didn't want air conditioning, it would require major engine compartment mods. firewall differences, as well as instrument bezel differences, and assembly differences for electrical, hoses, etc.

With that said, as opposed to buying a stripped down vette, I would personally buy something like an ariel atom.

Last edited by ElCid79; 12-09-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:36 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I have read somewhere here that GM spies read forums like this one to get an idea of how the public is accepting their products and to get input on new ideas. Since I don't have a direct line to anybody of any influence in product design, I throw my ideas out here.

I'm sure that the C7 and Z06 are fabulous cars, I just don't like the trend of where they are taking the design. Remember before the C7 was revealed how much speculation there was that the car would come in around or under 3000 pounds? That expectation was not totally unreasonable because of success in weight savings on the C5 and C6.

My own preference is a pure, performance focused car, and I'm just trying to get my ideas out there. They did the Z28, so I cross my fingers that a Corvette version will be coming.
I think these dreams of lighter variants of cars are pretty much dead. Porsche and other makers may do it, but the cars are much more expensive than Corvettes. Also, yes Chevy did the Z/28. But it was not a light car at all. Ford has the new Shelby GT350, which everyone thought would be lighter. It weighs 3800lbs. I think crash regulations and material costs have gotten us where we are with vehicle weight, much more so than luxury items. Plus, people love bashing the Z06's track cabability, but what car is better for the money? I know there are some issues with the car for some owners, but Chevy has produced an outstanding, world beating product for $80k.The Z06 doesn't need a stripper model. It's already better than everything in its class.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:43 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I think these dreams of lighter variants of cars are pretty much dead. Porsche and other makers may do it, but the cars are much more expensive than Corvettes. Also, yes Chevy did the Z/28. But it was not a light car at all. Ford has the new Shelby GT350, which everyone thought would be lighter. It weighs 3800lbs. I think crash regulations and material costs have gotten us where we are with vehicle weight, much more so than luxury items. Plus, people love bashing the Z06's track cabability, but what car is better for the money? I know there are some issues with the car for some owners, but Chevy has produced an outstanding, world beating product for $80k.The Z06 doesn't need a stripper model. It's already better than everything in its class.
Exactly!!!!! The amount of finger pointing whining is just stupid when you see this car running 10.40s out of the box, setting some of the fastest times ever at race tracks, and all from a car that is as happy to drive across the country and use as a daily driver. Even the amount of luggage that can be taken is impressive. Plus the MPG is very good for a 650hp beast. And all that for what Porsche wants for a 350hp entry 911, which I might add even the 911 turbo S is 3600lbs. Nothing is perfect but then again nothing can touch this Z for the money "over all".

Last edited by GP1224; 12-09-2015 at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017