C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 vs GT350R vs GTR etc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 09:29 AM
KamilZ07
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Z06 vs GT350R vs GTR etc?

Dear friends!

I will be moving to Arizona in late August 2016 from Poland (Europe) and I have been struggling to decide which car would fit me best. Currently I am looking at cars up to $100k, and the ones I am more interested in are the Z06 (non Z07), Shelby GT350R (great value for the price), Nissan GTR and the M6 Cabrio.

I have only test driven the M6 and GTR and enjoyed both of them, but since I'm in love (HUGE understatement) with the Z06, I was wondering about its daily drivability. Can you still "enjoy" it on the street or just gently use the throttle, not to break the speed limit, due its huge amounts of power at low RPMs? I have seen some POV videos on YouTube but it seemed that even at low RPMs the car is so fast that you don't hear the engine noise... Is the manual better than automatic? (I don't like the lag when using paddle shifters, but apart from that it seems very good). Do you find it a fun to drive car? How is the trunk space? Is it hard to find tires that would fit it? Also, if I were to have a road trip somewhere east during winter (on winter tires of course), would it be drivable in the snow? I have seen a video where a Z51 was driving in snow in weather mode, but how would the extra 200hp affect it?

I love the GT350R, it sounds and looks amazing and seems less powerful in the low RPMs so you still can enjoy the acceleration without breaking the speed limit, but the interior doesn't seem that nice and I probably would need another car as a daily driver... also I just love how the Z06 looks and feels inside (I managed to sit in one, but it wasn't available for test drive). Therefore, what's your opinion on that? Would you recommend a Z06 if it was to be my only car?

Thanks!

Kamil

Last edited by KamilZ07; 12-08-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 12-08-2015, 09:49 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please dont drive your Z06 in the snow. The rest of your post, well its really your decision and probably not a good idea to listen to a bunch of random internet people on how to spend your 100k. I dont think you can go wrong with any car you mentioned, just test drive them, make up your own mind.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Rguy271
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

ONLY car? GTR. It does the daily driver stuff better than the others. AWD, 4 seats, big trunk, and you can make 100whp more with simple mods.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

The Z06 will be cheaper. Over the winter the prices will be coming down as inventories continue to build. Fact is many of the larger Corvette dealers that specialize in the car have huge inventories that continue to stack up. They will be getting cheaper as the Dealers pay the floor plan interest - better to make a little than hold it for months especially with the 2017's right around the corner.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:41 AM
T-Z06-J
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Can the Z06 be used as an only car? Yes
Would I recommend that someone buy one as an only car? No

For an only car I would recommend a super sedan. CTS-V, M/5/6, AMG E63.

The car is extremely fun to drive. It is the best looking vehicle of the ones you mentioned. The GTR is OLD and ugly IMO. You might enjoy driving it but I don't know if you would enjoy looking at it.
The Z06 is the best vehicle of the ones you mentioned. However there is significant delay between paddle pull and gear change, and you can not floor the gas pedal without breaking the speed limit.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Fastmikefree
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rguy271
ONLY car? GTR. It does the daily driver stuff better than the others. AWD, 4 seats, big trunk, and you can make 100whp more with simple mods.
GTR maintenance cost will also be very high compare to the Z06...
Old 12-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
The Z06 will be cheaper. Over the winter the prices will be coming down as inventories continue to build. Fact is many of the larger Corvette dealers that specialize in the car have huge inventories that continue to stack up. They will be getting cheaper as the Dealers pay the floor plan interest - better to make a little than hold it for months especially with the 2017's right around the corner.
Nissan has been offering huge discounts on GT-R's for the last few years. Buyers have drove new cars off the showroom floor in the $80's.

And good luck to the OP in even finding an available GT350R, much less finding one without a $20k+ ADM on it. That's not going to happen any time soon, if ever. As with all SVT offerings, Ford will cap production just to the point that they sell all the cars they build, and R production is rumored to be only about 10% of GT350 production.
S.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:54 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

I live in AZ...and unless you're going to Flagstaff in the winter to go skiing, AWD is not necessary...I'm not saying I wish the Z06 didn't have it, I'm just saying that in AZ it's not necessary at all.

In terms of everyday driving...unless you have kids and need 4 seats, the Z will be perfectly FINE!! Put it in touring mode and enjoy...or track mode for spiriting driving. Trunk space is pretty good...I have no problem putting 2-3 sets of golfs clubs in mine. I regularly go food shopping with mine. I have a 4-door sedan as well...but to be honest, since I've gotten the Z 3 months ago, I almost never use it, unless I have to get the kids.

As for 'fun factor', there aren't too many cars on the road that are more fun to drive that the Z06, imho.

I can't speak for the GT350R, I hear they are very nice. I personally don't like the GTR's...I think they are plasticy and just not my 'thing.' I'm sure it's a good car...but it's likely not as much fun to drive as the Z, esp with an M7 tranny.

Overall I think the Z is well balanced for everyday driving, touring and of course 'having fun.' For a 2 door/seat sports cars it definitely checks a lot of boxes. I think Porsches are very close...and in some ways better...but they aren't quite as much fun to drive. I was at the Porsche dealership BEFORE I got the Z06 (cause I traditionally only bought Euro cars) and after seeing and driving the Z, I never thought about the Porsche again...the Z is 'that' good.

Good luck with your choice!!

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 12-08-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:01 AM
todm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in San Diego and my daily driver is my Z06. It is a perfectly fine daily driver, just don't do stupid things. Now, El Niño is coming and I may regret what I just said
Old 12-08-2015, 11:12 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Nissan has been offering huge discounts on GT-R's for the last few years. Buyers have drove new cars off the showroom floor in the $80's.

And good luck to the OP in even finding an available GT350R, much less finding one without a $20k+ ADM on it. That's not going to happen any time soon, if ever. As with all SVT offerings, Ford will cap production just to the point that they sell all the cars they build, and R production is rumored to be only about 10% of GT350 production.
S.

As a consolation, and it's not a huge difference especially if you won't even live at the track... get a GT350 (non-R) with either Tech or Track Pkg.
The following users liked this post:
KamilZ07 (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 11:16 AM
KamilZ07
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Snorman

S.
Thank you for the reply! Talking about the GT350R... does it mean that they are already sold out? I can't spec my own one at a dealership anymore?
Thanks, K.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 958 Likes on 497 Posts

Yes it is fun to drive and yes with all the low end power you will act like a 16yr old every time you drive it. My wife always yells at me because I act like an idiot when I drive it. She took it for a ride, spun the tires leaving the house and then said I now know why you drive like an idiot in this thing. Requires a lot of self control.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:21 AM
KamilZ07
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C7_Z06

As a consolation, and it's not a huge difference especially if you won't even live at the track... get a GT350 (non-R) with either Tech or Track Pkg.
Thanks for the consolation... so if the Rs are so limited, does it mean that if I were to decide on the next car in the following month, could I still place an order on one at a dealership or are they already "sold out"?

K.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:25 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Z06 in the U.S. southwest would be a blast with year round driving.

GTR - old design, divisive styling (some like it, others don't), seems to have a pretty strong/broad aftermarket support which is good, and of course there are the now long existing rumors of a successor, someday, perhaps, maybe. . . LOL.

GT350R - IMO this will prove to be a honey of a rig, but will be unobtanium for a while, and as Sean mentions dealers know that and will charge accordingly.

BMW 6 Cabrio. Do you want a sports car/performance car, or do you want a cruiser? Cuz this one doesn't fall in the group of a performance car like the others.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:37 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
At a too fast rate of production. If they don't gear back expect some bargains. Like Chevy pick ups!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:40 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

If you are considering the GT350, you might want to add another car to your list: the Camaro. I have been considering the Ford, also, but from what I've been seeing, the Camaro SS pretty much equals the Mustang in acceleration and may outhandle it. GM seems to have become the guru of chassis development.

I'm sure the Camaro SS will be followed by a higher performance variation like the 1LE or Z28 if the SS isn't enough. But it hardly ever snows at lower elevations here, so AWD shouldn't be a concern, so a Corvette is perfect for AZ.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:49 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KamilZ07
Thanks for the consolation... so if the Rs are so limited, does it mean that if I were to decide on the next car in the following month, could I still place an order on one at a dealership or are they already "sold out"?

K.
Yes most likely the 2016 "R" allocations are pretty much sold out or even if an allocation is still available then be prepared to pay a huge markup. Don't even think of any 2015's... they're all sold, rare, or again with a ginormous markup whether R or non-R.

Even if you search through cars dot com or autotrader, etc. online, over 90% of those listings are pre-sold units and the remainder will be again with big markups.

I have a '15 GT350-TP and also a C7 Z06... both are different beasts and IMO the new Shelby sounds better due to its uniqueness. Like a mix of an Italian exotic and an American beauty... good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs GT350R vs GTR etc?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:53 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stevebz06
If you are considering the GT350, you might want to add another car to your list: the Camaro. I have been considering the Ford, also, but from what I've been seeing, the Camaro SS pretty much equals the Mustang in acceleration and may outhandle it. GM seems to have become the guru of chassis development.

I'm sure the Camaro SS will be followed by a higher performance variation like the 1LE or Z28 if the SS isn't enough. But it hardly ever snows at lower elevations here, so AWD shouldn't be a concern, so a Corvette is perfect for AZ.
Outhandle? No disrespect to the 6th gen SS w/ the LT1 since it is pretty quick from a straight point a to b but no way will it out handle a TP let alone an R. Even the chief instructor of Chin stated (at Sebring full course) of how amazed he was of the GT350's balance, handllng, grip and braking. The GT350-TP is on par with the C7 Z51 Stingray's lap performance and the GT350-R is on par with a GT3's lap performance.... that speaks volumes.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Horsepower(at any RPM/speed) has no effect on whether a car can break the limit or not. That's up to your right foot and your ability to read the speedometer. Just don't go one MPH over the speed limit in the speed trap town if you are ever driving through Damascus, Arkansas.

Way, way back in 1961 my 26.5 horsepower Crosley could break the speed limit(was 60 in Arkansas back then) when I went WOT and did 65 MPH. In the city, that 26.5 HP could double the speed limit.

I just had to bite my tongue, and not push the accelerator pedal to the floor.

I have never received a speeding ticket in my 505+ HP Z06(almost 500 horsepower more than the Crosley) or in the Crosley.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-08-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a comment and a few options:

Comment - Why are you not considering the ZO7 if you are cross shopping a GT350R. Seems contradictory to me.

Opinions:

The GTR is the best daily driver AND is quite capable as well. If you like the styling, it is hard to beat. However, general maintenance - and especially transmission costs will be greater than the others (should you have to replace it). Finally it is the oldest platform, and its starting to look dated, especially on the inside.

The 350R will sell at a premium for probably more than a ZO6, at least for a while. They will be harder to find and the dealers are going to mark them up. The car sounds incredible. Best sound of the three in my opinion. The most capable mustang ever - but still a bulky muscle car. A better option than the GTR in terms of it being a special car, but daily drivablity will not be good. The "R" variant is set up for the track. It doesn't sound like you need a dedicated track car. Perhaps look at the standard GT350.

The Z06 is the best deal. I say this, not because I am a corvette fanboy (I like all performance cars), and I don't own a ZO6. I am closing on a 2015 Viper later this month. The ZO6 will give you the sports/track car feel you desire and still be sufficient for street use. Additionally, it is a bit more upscale than the GT350 and GTR. You'll also be able to find a better deal on one vs the GT350R. Finally, it is the best looking of the three...by a long shot. If you could get the GT350 for $60k, it would be a harder decision for me. Since that won't happen, the ZO6 is your winner here.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 12-08-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Z06 vs GT350R vs GTR etc?