C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New PB

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Joe_G

Bone stock with drag radials is the same on every fast list, for obvious reasons. That's the category in question here.

Anti-Venom are you willing to chime in to help others?
Maybe to you, but not to me and probably others.

And IMO, you aren't looking for help, you're looking to find something that anti-venom is being untruthful about regarding his passes. I'm guessing that's what up with the cute little Canadian flags and thinly veiled comments. It's clear that several of you are trying to bait him.
S.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Snorman

And IMO, you aren't looking for help, you're looking to find something that anti-venom is being untruthful about regarding his passes. I'm guessing that's what up with the cute little Canadian flags and thinly veiled comments. It's clear that several of you are trying to bait him.
S.
Sir I don't know you, but I don't appreciate your insinuation that I am a liar.

I've been asking questions for reasons as stated. 1. My friend Subfloor, who has also posted, has had trouble getting good 60 foots like Anti Venom.

2. I have a friend with a c7Z who wants to go to the track and I'd like to give him the best advice I can.

I realize you don't know me, but if you'll pan through this thread, you'll see that I do spend a lot of my time trying to help other Vette owners extract the best performance out of their cars, both online and at the track.

I, along with RobZ, helped this Gent go from mid 11's to mid 10's.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...noob-here.html

Another gentleman who was running mid 11's I coached down to mid 10's.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1-48-60ft.html

Originally Posted by JUIC3D
Car is a cam-only LS3 with bolt-ons.
The goal is to take the #1 spot in the LS3 internal mod category with stock gears and untouched heads(no milling, no thinner gaskets) but it seems that will have to wait until next Winter unless I happen to get a cold front. Even still, the car performed very well and I'm very happy with the performance, especially given the relatively poor weather conditions at +1000DA

The track prep was excellent which makes a 6400rpm launch possible.

Mod list:
Halltech SBMF103 intake
OBX 1 7/8" headers with catless 2.5" x pipe
BER Ported intake manifold
CNC Ported throttle body
EPS 230/238 .600/.615 cam
25% UDP
275/40-17 Mickeys
GTO spares(no adapters)

Big thanks to my mentor, Joe_G, for all the helpful advice and being a constant source of encouragement.
Also, huge thanks to Cajun and Brett at Bare Essentials Racing.
For anyone needs parts and after-the-sale support, these guys are top notch.

Check out my review of the BER Ported intake manifold
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...24-timing.html

Here's a quote from Ranger, a fine gentleman I've had to opportunity to meet.

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
why do you get "asked this question fairly often" do you stand under a sign that says acceleration questions answered?
Originally Posted by Ranger
Because Joe_G is well recognized as a fast driver.

Fast drivers get asked a lot of driving technique questions by cell, PM, email and face-to-face at the track.

Owners watch his passes, see his CF signature, read his articulate posts and find a source of knowledge willing to share what's he's learned making hundreds of passes.

I am surprised you are surprised.

Ranger

I really don't care what you think of me but perhaps these posts (and I could post dozens more) will prove to you that I am trying to learn to help others. It is a joy of mine to learn and share info with other Vette owners.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Sir I don't know you, but I don't appreciate your insinuation that I am a liar.
I didn't insinuate that you are a liar and I'm sorry you interpreted it as such.
While you may be trying to get info to pass along to others, IMO it also appears to be turning into a witch hunt by several people. Give the guy a break, he's had several people (at the track) vouch for his passes and although he didn't initially state the car had skinnies on it, it was clear he wasn't trying to hide it since he posted two videos clearly showing them.

I don't think anything about you other than what's in this thread. But it's a holiday weekend and I think it's reasonable to expect anti-venom may not be available for obvious reasons.
S.
The following users liked this post:
anti_venom (12-28-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I didn't insinuate that you are a liar and I'm sorry you interpreted it as such.
While you may be trying to get info to pass along to others, IMO it also appears to be turning into a witch hunt by several people. Give the guy a break, he's had several people (at the track) vouch for his passes and although he didn't initially state the car had skinnies on it, it was clear he wasn't trying to hide it since he posted two videos clearly showing them.

I don't think anything about you other than what's in this thread. But it's a holiday weekend and I think it's reasonable to expect anti-venom may not be available for obvious reasons.
S.
It certainly is a holiday weekend, and I hope he does post up and describes his technique. Somehow he's doing a lot better than others I've seen. Perhaps applying 50% power for 60 feet or something, or traction control on with less throttle is better than track mode and flooring it like Subfloor does? One way or another he seems to have mastered it and since I don't think he's making his living doing this I'm hoping he'll share. Frankly those that do share often get further feedback from others and it builds upon itself for the betterment of all of us.

If he has a scan that would be even better, I enjoy analyzing scans for people such as this:

Here is the analysis of your 10.86 pass:

RPM at launch: 5672 (!!!)
You were about 76% throttle at launch and you let up to 65% as the car launched then you floored it somewhat slowly - from launch to 100% throttle was .34 seconds.

The car bogged down to only 4766 during the launch process, but the bad news is you started spinning as the clutch fully engaged so you pedaled it. But you pedaled it pretty well and you didn't spin too bad because you controlled it..but that 1.184 seconds of pedaling the throttle was time that you weren't at 100% throttle. Still, feel proud because your felt the car spinning due to the track and you didn't blow the run, you were able to drive through it pretty perfectly and still get your best pass and a 1.59 60 foot. Lessons learned here would be 1. way to read the track and drive accordingly, and 2. That run would have been a bit faster on a good track, 3. Seems that high RPM launch is working for you.

Recall, in my 1.452 pass video above, I launched at 6050 rpm, 100% throttle, bogged down to 4,243 in .797 of a second. Remember I have a 2.97 first and 4.10 gears that help me not bog as low, but the high RPM launch seems to agree with both of our LUK clutches.

Your shift rpms were:
1-2 7,100
2-3 7,100
3-4 6,900

You are consistent with the 7100 shifts. What is your rev limiter set at? If you're nicking it, that hurts your time, so stay away from it. Might try shooting for 7000 if your rev limiter is 7100? I don't like to spin my engine that high but I have a different engine I have to remember.

If you post up a dyno sheet we may have some recommendations on shift points. Likely 7100 or 7000 is your number but the dyno sheet will tell us.

Your shift times were:
1-2 .531 (prior pass was .455 of a second)
2-3 .433 (prior pass .480 of a second)
3-4 .437 (prior pass .325 of a second)

See some thoughts below on this.

And importantly, your tune adjustment gave you back your timing, but a bit too much. As you can see on the third graph you had 4 degrees of knock at 6000 in 3rd and 3 degrees in 4th at 6k. You were commanding 23-22 degrees of timing there, respectively. You knocked all the way through 4th at 21 degrees actual timing. I'd back out 4 degrees from 5700 rpm on before I raced again. 4 degrees of knock is a lot, you don't want to that too often. Ed knows 1000 times more than me on this so he'll certainly take care of it.

Lesson here is, timing on a dyno, particularly an inertial dyno where the engine spins quickly up to redline isn't always good for a track where you are lugging the engine at that rpm for a lot more time. I'm sure you had no knock on the dyno but you sure did on a hot track - luckily our engines have great knock sensors but I prefer to time my car so they don't come into play.

You had similar knock in your other scans as well. This shows graphically how important it is to scan each run...now you'll need to get in the habit of analyzing the runs and if you see knock, back out timing before the next run. I suspect Ed will get you squared so it won't be a big deal going forward. But once you learn to do it, on a cool day you might add a degree or two and see if it helps.

I can't get my scanner to read your AFR even with your Cfg file. I always fight HP Tuners to read other people's cfg's and show the Pids they scanned, I think I have to turn on your PIDS as well but it's a pain in the tuckus to do that. How did your AFR look? Can you post a screen shot?

I think a bit more work on shifting is your next step. You can practice this on the street you know.

There is something else you could try if you are feeling froggy. I mentioned that my friend Justin (Juic3d) did a flat shift mod whereby he doesn't lift, just pushes in the clutch. Here's how he did it:

You can hear it in his 10.67 video I posted above. Here's the thread if you want ton see this vid and the other hot lapped passes he did that day.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1-48-60ft.html

Look at his throttle in the third graph...in case you can't see it, he goes 100% before the car moves, launches at 7000 and doesn't let the gas off the floor until he completes the run. That's how you get a 10.67 out of a cam only ls3....lol
Old 12-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

S.
S.
I don't see any other way to interpret what you wrote - you called me a liar.

I hope you now understand that I am not a liar.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't see any other way to interpret what you wrote - you called me a liar.

I hope you now understand that I am not a liar.
Whatever. But insinuations that anti-venom is misrepresenting his passes are perfectly acceptable, and maybe even funny. I got the same crap a few years ago when I went 11.4 in a bone stock C7. My car was tuned, or had headers, or weight reduction or whatever...it seems to be a phenomenon reserved for us C7 owners.

I also don't think you should expect to hear much from anti-venom. The guy has a whopping 212 posts since 2007, so it's sort of obvious that he's not real chatty on the forum.
S.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Whatever. But insinuations that anti-venom is misrepresenting his passes are perfectly acceptable, and maybe even funny. I got the same crap a few years ago when I went 11.4 in a bone stock C7. My car was tuned, or had headers, or weight reduction or whatever...it seems to be a phenomenon reserved for us C7 owners.

I also don't think you should expect to hear much from anti-venom. The guy has a whopping 212 posts since 2007, so it's sort of obvious that he's not real chatty on the forum.
S.
Records always get scrutiny, and frankly I think rightfully so. I'm not doubting Anti Venom, just asking what his technique is.

And us c6 guys got it too but it was a decade ago so memories fade. Nobody believed Dennis50nj wasn't using his nitrous when he got his 10.62 with headers and tune and 3600 stall. There was similar doubt on Ranger in the beginning when C6z's got bone stock 10's with drag radials only. Driving around the torque management took skill but Ranger was very upfront with many videos and an entire website devoted to the best way to drive a stock car with its limitations due to torque management.

www.rangeracceleration.com

Guys like Ranger and FARTPIPE do go to a lot of trouble to establish credibility to their record runs. It's fun to try to knock the king from his throne...but not if his throne is built on lies.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

It's fun to try to knock the king from his throne...but not if his throne is built on lies.

Of course you're not one of those insinuating that anti-venom is misrepresenting his runs.
This says it all.

S.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Records always get scrutiny, and frankly I think rightfully so. I'm not doubting Anti Venom, just asking what his technique is.

And us c6 guys got it too but it was a decade ago so memories fade. Nobody believed Dennis50nj wasn't using his nitrous when he got his 10.62 with headers and tune and 3600 stall. There was similar doubt on Ranger in the beginning when C6z's got bone stock 10's with drag radials only. Driving around the torque management took skill but Ranger was very upfront with many videos and an entire website devoted to the best way to drive a stock car with its limitations due to torque management.

www.rangeracceleration.com

Guys like Ranger and FARTPIPE do go to a lot of trouble to establish credibility to their record runs. It's fun to try to knock the king from his throne...but not if his throne is built on lies.

Of course you're not one of those insinuating that anti-venom is misrepresenting his runs.
This says it all.

S.
You've pulled my funny gif out of context. I said nothing about Anti-Venom.

I am making a point about those that claim to have a record but are lying about their mods - they may think they are the king, but their claim is based on lies. As you may or may not know, it's happened a few times in the other FAST lists. I remember Ranger and Gary2004Z06 taking several people to task.

A FAST list is only as good as the data being included in it and the unenviable job of keeping the FAST list honest is not easy.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Enzom
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

S.
Oh - it isn't just the C7. I remember when my E55 was breaking records, even when I specified that I replaced my Continental tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires, people went nuts. When you make 60 passes, you learn a thing or two about how to improve your launch. I have yet to take my Z06 to the strip, but I am sure it will be a learning process for me.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:36 PM
anti_venom
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't get on the form much sorry for the lack of response. I have a business to run. Have to pay for my toys some how.. As far as the scan tool, I have not logged any passes because I didn't want to be accused of moding the car. The car definitely Slows down if you try and speed shift it. I tried it many times that day and the best times where when I shifted the car slower. If you try a no lift shift the car will go slower at least thats what mine did in the 20 passes I have made in the car. Getting the car to leave is up to the driver and I have no secrets. I'm sure you can see and hear what is going on in the video. This car was not meant to make a pass down the 1/4 mile and I had not intention of doing so. I have a race/street car that is being built and only took the Z for some fun with friends and it has turned into what it is now. I'm not even sure I will make another pass in the Z due to my other car being done in a few weeks and I'm not really looking to make another drag car or fight over skinnies on the front and all that fun stuff. If I do make another pass I will log it and post for you guys.

To all the guys that have been supportive I thank you and hope you have a great New Year.

Last edited by anti_venom; 12-28-2015 at 12:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by anti_venom:
DRLC5 (12-28-2015), Joe_G (12-28-2015), Lavender (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 01:11 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by anti_venom
I don't get on the form much sorry for the lack of response. I have a business to run. Have to pay for my toys some how.. As far as the scan tool, I have not logged any passes because I didn't want to be accused of moding the car. The car definitely Slows down if you try and speed shift it. I tried it many times that day and the best times where when I shifted the car slower. If you try a no lift shift the car will go slower at least thats what mine did in the 20 passes I have made in the car. Getting the car to leave is up to the driver and I have no secrets. I'm sure you can see and hear what is going on in the video. This car was not meant to make a pass down the 1/4 mile and I had not intention of doing so. I have a race/street car that is being built and only took the Z for some fun with friends and it has turned into what it is now. I'm not even sure I will make another pass in the Z due to my other car being done in a few weeks and I'm not really looking to make another drag car or fight over skinnies on the front and all that fun stuff. If I do make another pass I will log it and post for you guys.

To all the guys that have been supportive I thank you and hope you have a great New Year.
Thanks for your input. What is your Street/Drag Car?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the response! You have really mastered that launch and shifting and it'll be very interesting to see how, as Lighting McQueen said, you have to go slow to go fast... (hmmm I might have that a little wrong ). The c6Z had a similar problem if you tried to shift it too quickly.

If you do get a chance to do another pass and don't mind logging it with HP Tuners, it'll be very informative and helpful to the the other folks looking to go fast like you've done. I've found those analyses like the ones I've posted above are really helpful. Who knows, you really might be only going ¾ throttle for the first couple of seconds and maybe that little trick right there might be the secret to good times, perhaps there's a routine in the tune that if you request 100% throttle the throttle blade responds worse than if you request 75%. The scan will show what works which is what we are interested in.

From my family to yours, wishing you a great new year as well, and once again, Congrats!! My hat is off to you for some great driving.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:11 PM
anti_venom
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Thanks for your input. What is your Street/Drag Car?
2012 CTSV with 420ci LSX TH400 9" Twin PT7675 turbos Should make about 2000 wheel goal is to run 7s with full interior.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

^^^ Anti-Venom that is outstanding!! Looks like a very clean install.

Would love to see a vid of that thing on the track if you can remember to post up a link.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 PM
E Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Impressive & I thought the A8 was posting the best stock 1/4 m
Old 12-28-2015, 05:41 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

The car definitely Slows down if you try and speed shift it. I tried it many times that day and the best times where when I shifted the car slower. If you try a no lift shift the car will go slower at least thats what mine did in the 20 passes I have made in the car. Getting the car to leave is up to the driver and I have no secrets. I'm sure you can see and hear what is going on in the video. This car was not meant to make a pass down the 1/4 mile and I had not intention of doing so.
Interesting, because basically the same thing has been observed by others...
Originally Posted by Kyle Lemish
Thanks....Yea come to an mir rental! was looking for your slip.

The nannys are crazy on this car.....the harder I shifted 2-3 and 3-4 the car would pull power and nose over, Almost had to lazy shift some. Did you feel any of that?

I had a few 11.1's that I felt were driven perfect and I felt the car nose over on the shifts

S.

Get notified of new replies

To New PB

Old 12-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Jerry! You have come SO far since your ****** ohio forced inductions setup on your red car!

I met Jerry and his wife Karen, at Carlisle back in 05? 06? Strait up dude, super honest, and one of the kindest dudes Ive put a face with the screen name.

Good job, I saw you put "drag pack" and I knew that probably meant skinnies...LOL.

How did the clutch hold up? Any idea how many passes you made that day?

Louis
Old 12-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the response! You have really mastered that launch and shifting and it'll be very interesting to see how, as Lighting McQueen said, you have to go slow to go fast... (hmmm I might have that a little wrong ). The c6Z had a similar problem if you tried to shift it too quickly.

If you do get a chance to do another pass and don't mind logging it with HP Tuners, it'll be very informative and helpful to the the other folks looking to go fast like you've done. I've found those analyses like the ones I've posted above are really helpful. Who knows, you really might be only going ¾ throttle for the first couple of seconds and maybe that little trick right there might be the secret to good times, perhaps there's a routine in the tune that if you request 100% throttle the throttle blade responds worse than if you request 75%. The scan will show what works which is what we are interested in.

From my family to yours, wishing you a great new year as well, and once again, Congrats!! My hat is off to you for some great driving.
Joe, that lack of throttle opening goes away when you remove (reduce) torque management. Its also in the base C7 as well.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Louis Gigliotti
Joe, that lack of throttle opening goes away when you remove (reduce) torque management. Its also in the base C7 as well.
I know Louis, but he said he's not tuned so he's figured out a way to drive around the nannies. I'm hoping to learn more about his launch and shifting technique so I can give my friend a hand. The C6z had the hard shifting nanny so I knew about that but I can't imagine how he's driving around that launch delay. It's killing one of my buddies in his new Z. I'm very interested to see a scan so we can hopefully understand how he's getting around it.

p.s. my G5x3 is still purring like a kitten, 8 years, 372 passes and 62,000 miles after install. I'm still #2 on the ls2 manual FAST list. I'll never surpass Andrew with your G6x3 so I gave up. Let me take this opportunity to thank you again for a great product. I sing the praises of your R&D work and support any time I can.

Last edited by Joe_G; 12-28-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: New PB