C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Shop detailing and wash...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Dan.S
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16
Default Shop detailing and wash...

Does anyone take their Z to a place that does the washes, with optional packages like waxes, hand washes, drying etc?

There are places around here called Cobblestone, or Auto Spa.

Used to let them have my Audi for cleaning as I had an unlimited monthly wash and detail package, it was affective because the damn car was black and I had to constantly have it detailed.

Just still up in. The air on letting them have the Z.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan.S
Does anyone take their Z to a place that does the washes, with optional packages like waxes, hand washes, drying etc?

There are places around here called Cobblestone, or Auto Spa.

Used to let them have my Audi for cleaning as I had an unlimited monthly wash and detail package, it was affective because the damn car was black and I had to constantly have it detailed.

Just still up in. The air on letting them have the Z.
Nobody touches my Z but me.
The following 4 users liked this post by dcher:
Dan.S (12-30-2015), flyAA (12-31-2015), JackTripper (01-04-2016), ramyk (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Dan.S
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Yeah, I am of the persuasion, that it's just a car. I use it as a DD, so it's getting chips and whatnot, it's not like it's going to get the Barret Jackson treatment it's whole life.

And frankly, my time is worth more than me paying for the services. Especially if the service is good enough where I do t have to redo anything, and just do quick details between sessions.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:02 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I go through a carwash twice a week. Love it.
The following users liked this post:
Dan.S (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Dan.S
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by jaden61
I go through a carwash twice a week. Love it.
Touchless or hand wash I presume?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:13 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Meh. You pay $250,000 to restore a black car, you manage it yourself. You buy a $100K car with a Kentucky paint job on it, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine has more orange peel than an orange.

I'd let any reputable detail shop work on it. Maybe check Yelp. If it's silver or yellow I'd take it through a drive-through carwash and get it buffed out twice a year. Dark colors require more care, and black (or similar) really takes caution.

What I hate is that any goon can fill swirls, but it takes a real man remove them. Two different things.

By the way, you're probably far worse off in a "Touchless" wash. I think Mercedes has been warning about the strong chemicals they use. With sufficient soap and presoak a soft-cloth wash is probably better and much easier on the car.

As for me? I've never washed mine. I don't drive it in the rain, so I primarily just dust it and if I get anything on it I use waterless car wash (spray wax, more or less). Washing cars is hard on the paint.

So, did I really just say that you should drive yours through a carwash but I won't even bucket-wash mine? Yes I did.

Last edited by davepl; 12-30-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:26 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Touchless or hand wash I presume?
Triple foam soaps, swirling space age foam brushes. jet pack air thrust drying.
http://www.dontdrivedirty.com/faqs.php
FAQ..
How long does it take to get a car wash?
Unlike carwashes typically found at gas stations, Quick Quack Car Wash uses a conveyor that keeps cars moving even if there are a few cars in line. The entire wash cycle lasts no longer than THREE MINUTES and since there is no waiting for the car in front of you to finish, you will rarely spend more than five minutes from the time you pull in to when you are back on your way.

Do you uses brushes? Are you touchless?
Quick Quack Car Wash's systems are "brushless" and utilize only soft-cloth and are safer on your cars finish than hand-washing or "touchless" systems that may use harmful chemicals. Fully automated and computerized, the high quality system is categorized as an exterior conveyor wash. The customer stays in the vehicle while being automatically guided through the glass enclosed open-air tunnel where the vehicle is soaked, soaped, washed, polished, rinsed with spot-free water and blown dry all in a matter of minutes.

What is Triple Foam?
Our Triple Foam treatment is three colors of rich foaming polish that enhances the paint’s shine and protection. It contains polymer protection that bonds to the vehicle’s paint and clear coat surface.

Quick Quack Car wash
Attached Images  

Last edited by jaden61; 12-30-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Dan.S (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Dan.S
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Meh. You pay $250,000 to restore a black car, you manage it yourself. You buy a $100K car with a Kentucky paint job on it, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine has more orange peel than an orange.

Dark colors require more care, and black (or similar) really takes caution.

So, did I really just say that you should drive yours through a carwash but I won't even bucket-wash mine? Yes I did.

That's why I love Orange, the paint hides dirt and imperfections really well when it's taken care of.

The dust here in AZ is thick, California dusters don't cut it in the car. It has to be washed off of you leave dust trails all over.

I agree, unless you paid for a shop to completely wet sand and correct the paint to make it perfect and show ready, a DD looks just as good through regular car washes as anything else on the road.

I love the unlimited wash packages too, especially with the 12 hour layer of dust we get on everything, even more so when it's top cultivating season here.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Yea, all the time.. .

I do, however have the entire car covered in a clear bra.. .
I ask them not to touch 3 things..

- the wickerbill (the clear piece is delicate and scratches easily)
- the instrument panel (same reason)
- the front and rear jammers (just be aware not to knock them)

I dd mine as well.. . The car wash I go to hand washes it.. No issues so far and my back thanks me for it!
Dan.S (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 10:11 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

I'd let any reputable detail shop work on it. Maybe check Yelp. If it's silver or yellow I'd take it through a drive-through carwash and get it buffed out twice a year. Dark colors require more care, and black (or similar) really takes caution.

What I hate is that any goon can fill swirls, but it takes a real man remove them. Two different things.

By the way, you're probably far worse off in a "Touchless" wash. I think Mercedes has been warning about the strong chemicals they use. With sufficient soap and presoak a soft-cloth wash is probably better and much easier on the car.

As for me? I've never washed mine. I don't drive it in the rain, so I primarily just dust it and if I get anything on it I use waterless car wash (spray wax, more or less). Washing cars is hard on the paint.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Dan.S
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

I agree, I'm still in love with detailing my car because nobody does perfect like yourself...

But I'm not 20 anymore either lol.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 PM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
Nobody touches my Z but me.
+1 I actually enjoy washing and detailing it myself. At least my toys anyways. The wife's SUV is worth more than the Z and it gets driven thru Carwash but not my cars or my bikes. I actually just finished a bonding session on my Cirrus so for me it's just personal satisfaction mixed with a little therapy.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Dan.S
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

But, my Z is my daily commuter and passion all in one. Not my "toy" away from work.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:16 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

It takes an hour to wash and dry the car. That hour gives you a chance to go over the body of the car and check for damage. In another half hour you can throw a coat of wax on and rub it off. I never saw the advantage of paying big bucks to a detail guy that doesn't do as good of a job as I do and won't notice the things I notice.

Bill
Old 12-31-2015, 08:10 AM
MMM15ZO6
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It takes an hour to wash and dry the car. That hour gives you a chance to go over the body of the car and check for damage. In another half hour you can throw a coat of wax on and rub it off. I never saw the advantage of paying big bucks to a detail guy that doesn't do as good of a job as I do and won't notice the things I notice.

Bill
Old 12-31-2015, 08:46 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

But, my Z is my daily commuter and passion all in one. Not my "toy" away from work.
Sounds like you are a great candidate for a local touchless car wash. I can respect your feelings regarding the car, especially since it's a DD.

Personally, my car is a hobby toy, and part of the fun for me is doing the detailing. I guess it's OCD therapy.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:59 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyC7Z06
+1 I actually enjoy washing and detailing it myself. At least my toys anyways. The wife's SUV is worth more than the Z and it gets driven thru Carwash but not my cars or my bikes. I actually just finished a bonding session on my Cirrus so for me it's just personal satisfaction mixed with a little therapy.

Beautiful plane!
Old 01-04-2016, 11:14 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default For EXPERT

detailing call John @ Car Cleaners.. have used them for years and as far as I'm concerned, nobody does a job like they do..

http://www.carcleanersdetailing.com/...ling/Home.html

Dan.S (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Mine rarely touches water; both cars. After a drive, I bring it home and use 'Quick Detailer' and a Microfiber to wipe it down.

When I have to wash it, I just bring it to a Touch-less wash and dry it myself. Worked for years.

Get notified of new replies

To Shop detailing and wash...

Quick Reply: Shop detailing and wash...