C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06-read this rear brake intake damage-GM resolution!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 PM
0ACS Composite
Former Vendor

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
ACS, can you post a picture with your splash guards?

Something like this

These are two of the closest images on file, our car is completely in pieces;-) otherwise I would have positioned the camera for you.

Mudflap's are significantly larger than the gm counterpart.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:26 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Exposed mounting screws??

Originally Posted by chasboland
Nice product,but after installing them I couldn't stand looking at the exposed mounting screws. Swapped them out for GM guards which have a clean look. Plus, for the same price you get both front and rear. Oh well...
I would be interested in a wider set, but would like mounting hardware invisible inside wheel well if possible. Is this possible?

What is the cost of a pair of these in Painted Carbon Flash Black? How did they compare in price to stock GM guards?

Ninja

Last edited by NinjaZX14r; 01-04-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 PM
0ACS Composite
Former Vendor

The 3 mounting screws are located inside the wheel wheel, they can be replaced with pushpins if you wish, a very small compromise to the protection these offer over the gm ones.

Originally Posted by NinjaZX14r
I would be interested in a wider set, but would like mounting hardware invisible inside wheel well if possible. Is this possible?

What is the cost of a pair of these in Painted Carbon Flash Black? How did they compare in price to stock GM guards?

Ninja
Old 01-05-2016, 11:19 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2092
Anybody have the part # for these rear brake intakes. I may get some for a pattern to make fitted clear thick tape protection for these intakes.
Xpel has a pattern for these already.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 AM
0Tunerz Store
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Not seeing it...

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint_...39&series=1923
Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by thebishman
I am in contact with an Xpel tech and he says the brake vent protection is part of their complete rocker panel kit but is willing to send me just that item, which I told him to do. But, he told me the coverage of their film for the
brake intake does not cover the entire area of damage that I reported to him, just the vertical leading edge.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:54 AM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

What do "side skirts" look like? Picture please (I imagine something ugly)

I have all black with 3m clear bra protection and never noticed anything after 5,000 miles. As for GM "fixing" problem, good luck (they would need to re-engineer which costs more than the problem is worth). Best

Last edited by RBK; 01-05-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:07 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RBK

I have all black with 3m clear bra protection and never noticed anything after 5,000 miles. As for GM "fixing" problem, good luck (they would need to re-engineer which costs more than the problem is worth). Best
Post #43 in this thread shows the picture of a blue C7 that has a blue "skirt" that runs horizontal between the front and rear wheel at the lower edge of the body and is a couple of inches wide. These can be had from OEM and several manufacturers in several colors and finishes.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

While I wait for Xpel to send me these pre-made brake vent protection films, I purchased 10' of 2" protection film from them should it be needed. (cost $12.40)

I just got the Xpel rear brake vent protection (Ultimate) kits. I got three sets for $35 including shipping. The weather keeps me from putting them on but they do seem to cover the entire damaged area on my vents.(after just 1200 miles) They are precut and are stuck to backing material. These come out of their complete rocker panel kit, but they are willing to sell them separately. Each of these sets should hold me for awhile as I contemplate the need for $600 (est.) side skirts. Installation instructions are available on their website.

Last edited by jim2092; 01-08-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:13 PM
0ACS Composite
Former Vendor

Here you go, ACS side rocker.

Unlike the Gm ones, ours offer full undercarriage protection and coated with a bedliner material on the underside.

Originally Posted by RBK

Old 01-05-2016, 03:19 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

I am in contact with an Xpel tech and he says the brake vent protection is part of their complete rocker panel kit but is willing to send me just that item, which I told him to do. But, he told me the coverage of their film for the
brake intake does not cover the entire area of damage that I reported to him, just the vertical leading edge.
You are correct in that the rear brake scoops are part of the rocker package; I should have made that clearer. Regardless, the pattern has done a great job of protecting them on my car.

However IF your installer knows what they're doing, they should be able to custom cut film to cover more than the pre-cut items.

Bish
Old 01-05-2016, 03:29 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

10-4. The installer (me) will be able to cut the film to fit while it is still stuck to its backing - correct?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Thank you, but still unclear. Are you/all speaking of the what appears to be a "horizontal cover" running the length of lower pieces (rocker panels)? They seem more like a decoration than something that would stop anything from impacting the body. Appreciate clarification. Best
Post #43 in this thread shows the picture of a blue C7 that has a blue "skirt" that runs horizontal between the front and rear wheel at the lower edge of the body and is a couple of inches wide. These can be had from OEM and several manufacturers in several colors and finishes.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:32 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Ninja,

This problem existed with the C6 Z06's as well. The solution that worked for me (some 25,000 miles on 3 Z's-----one with side skirts, 2 without---NO DAMAGE at all) is the Apsis splash guards. I have also read many posts where folks are having good luck with both side skirts, and the GM guards--not the OEM guards, but GM guards the dealer can order. The front tires are wider than the car and the OEM guards (and the GM guards), so the end result is the road debris gets thrown back onto the car. And the tip about using the glossy black duct tape also sounds like a good idea---haven't tried it yet, but intend to look into this when the car comes out of hibernation. Best of luck
Old 01-05-2016, 06:55 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Ok Per GM ''NOT A MFG. DEFECT" Can't do anything!

Ok boys and girls, just got a call from Caroline at GM and after she did her "investigation" without receiving any documentation I had prepared for her from forum members who also have the same rear air duct destruction issues, she advised me I have to contact the DMA.

Who is the DMA? Well that is the District Manager AFTER Sales! Well I just didn't have that info at my disposal.

So she says that he says....that it is "NOT A MFG DEFECT."

So, tomorrow I will pursue the issue with my dealer and keep the pressure on......am probably at a dead end, but never give up.

Audie Murphy didn't win the Medal of Honor by following orders, so neither will I.

Ninja

Last edited by NinjaZX14r; 01-05-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:25 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Audie Murphy

Audie Murphy didn't win the Medal of Honor by following orders, so neither will I.

Ninja[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I feel strongly about the phrase "won the Medal of Honor". The Medal of Honor is not won, as is a contest or a sporting event, rather it is "awarded for conspicuous valor above and beyond the call of duty"! Unfortunately, most of the awardees were awarded "The Medal" posthumously. The Medal of Honor is the highest honor which can be awarded to an American Serviceman and to say it was won is disrespectful.

charles bowen, old vet and Damn Proud of it
The following users liked this post:
C7 x 2 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I put the ACS composites rockers and mud guards on about 2000 miles ago and I don't see any damage to my rear quarters and brakes ducts.
This vender makes a good product and is very responsive if you should have any questions.

The following users liked this post:
Forujames (01-06-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06-read this rear brake intake damage-GM resolution!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:56 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by george vee
This vender makes a good product and is very responsive if you should have any questions.

Many in here already stated the splash guards are great, I went ahead and ordered a full set for The Phantom. He provided outstanding customer service.

You never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression.

Last edited by PLRX; 01-05-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by funz06
Ninja,

This problem existed with the C6 Z06's as well. The solution that worked for me (some 25,000 miles on 3 Z's-----one with side skirts, 2 without---NO DAMAGE at all) is the Apsis splash guards. I have also read many posts where folks are having good luck with both side skirts, and the GM guards--not the OEM guards, but GM guards the dealer can order. The front tires are wider than the car and the OEM guards (and the GM guards), so the end result is the road debris gets thrown back onto the car. And the tip about using the glossy black duct tape also sounds like a good idea---haven't tried it yet, but intend to look into this when the car comes out of hibernation. Best of luck
Anyone know if the APSIS splash guards are any wider than the ACS splash guards?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
Anyone know if the APSIS splash guards are any wider than the ACS splash guards?
The other thing you want to know is if the color on the ACS guards(or any guard) is just a facing (just on the surface), or whether it is a solid color that runs throughout the entire guard. I apologize, but I don't know the answer-----way back when, with my 1st Z06 a long time Z owner put me on to the Apsis guard, and since I had good luck I have never looked at any of the other products.

If the color is just a facing----------when it gets hit with the road debris, the surface paint will wear off and the guard will have all white marks on it. I have seen a few cars with such guards----it isn't pretty.

I do know the Apsis guard is a solid color throughout.

Again, I am only familiar with the Apsis guard and they have worked for me, but for all I know there are a ton of better products out there at better prices. Apsis is not cheap.............and they came out with a new guard this year that looks great (it replaces the two piece OEM set-up with one piece), but the cost is way more that I would ever consider. Their original guard does the trick.

One final caveat regarding Apsis......English is their 2nd language, and sometimes it can be tough................and you can tell from his responses on the Forum, communication is not his strong point---but don't let this drive you away----I think it stems from the language challenge. On the positive side--his second language is light years better than mine, and he does know his product. If you go that route, I suggest you call him and discuss which guard you need-----does your car have side skirts; no side skirts; Z07 package; etc.

Quick Reply: Z06-read this rear brake intake damage-GM resolution!