C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:59 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

As I said in the other thread: Hat tip to team Viper. Sad to see that car leaving the market. Hopefully there will be a future one, but I'm not holding my breath as this may very well be the Viper's last/permanent swan song.

All things considered, fairly decent run by the Z.

Last edited by OnPoint; 01-07-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:06 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

If you go back and watch the MT video when the C7 Z06 didn't make boost (had technical problem), I believe it ran a 1:38 (respectable time at Laguna) and Randy biggest complement was how it had a great grip. Now when all the power is available, it's obvious that it would need some tuning (whether tires, suspension, ECU tune) to help the grip. Not everyone will drive the Z06 at a track record pace on a given track day.

Also, MT guys said the ACR power comes late at 5000 rpm in the new video. That could be a factor in controlling torque through ECU. I like the ACR but the Z06 is still ahead in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Dean01 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:16 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Randy set the LS lap record at 1:28.65 in the ACR...he was 'near' 2 seconds slower this time...the C7Z was 1:33.05...thus, I don't think it's 'unreasonable' to think the C7Z has another 1-2 seconds in it...I'd guess in great conditions it'll run a 1:31.5. Either way, in less than ideal conditions with similar tires to the ZR1, it was faster by .65 seconds. I'm only commenting, because all the haters seem to think it's not faster at the Ring, or 'not much faster' at the ring than the ZR1.

Having said that, I came away very impressed with the C7Z...most of the comments were very good. The ACR is a great TRACK car...but if you want a well rounded everyday supercar, IMHO the Vette is the easy choice.

To all the people 'knocking' on GM for the C7...sales don't lie. Dodge will kill to sell more than 675 Vipers per year...if you don't think so, ask them why they dropped the price $15k. My point?? Despite the gripes, GM got it right...sales don't lie. Cheers!!
Newton06 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Good job for ACR and Z06. Don't get too caught up in lap times. You can always put the same type of aero and invest in coilovers which will get you the extra 3 seconds. Some guys with C5 and C6 Z06 ran 1:32 at Laguna with aftermarket upgrades (aero/ suspension). My personal opinion is the Z06 is still better all around and it be can improved further with couple of aftermarket components. It looks amazing, it sounds better and as MT guys said its more comfortable and civilized.

The ACR has been and always will be a singular focused vehicle. It's got to be terrible on the street and the aero stuff... unless you are racing or looking for the ultimate lap times, looks absurd.

Last edited by Newton06; 01-07-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:29 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
My friend Chris was at that test. He got there a little late so he didn't see the Vette run, but he said it was cool and that the track was not optimal. Since the ZO6 was first out to run, it definitely could have ran slower than what was to be expected considering the conditions. Thats the only explanation that makes sense for the small time gain over the ZR1 time. Every other track has the new Z obliterating the ZR1 times typically.
The ZR1 was tested at the same time of year and going back looking at the test records from MT it was maybe a little warmer but still similar conditions. Every other track time that you are comparing ZR1 times for, except VIR, the ZR1 times is from when it was tested on PS2s. The VIR time is not comparable due to the track changes between tests. This LS result falls in line with GMs release that the new Z07 was 1 sec faster than the ZR1 on the 2.9 mile Milford course. I am awaiting to see the result of the Sport Auto test on Hockenhiem short of the new Z07. That is the only other track that we have a ZR1 time on cup 1s besides the Ring.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:31 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow 3 seconds.

That is a incredible difference. I give it to team viper they win this one.

Something doesn't sound quite right with the Zo7 over steering. I have never had mine over steer at all. Maybe GM needs to use my Zo6 for their testing.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 AM
ACRucrazy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Newton06

The ACR has been and always will be a singular focused vehicle. It's got to be terrible on the street and the aero stuff... unless you are racing or looking for the ultimate lap times, looks absurd.
It's so terrible on the street I have driven my Hardcore ACR 11,000 miles over the past 3 summers. All the absurd aero stuff must be why everyone is always posing with the car, taking pictures, waving and giving thumbs up every time I fill up the tank or roll down the highway.

Last edited by ACRucrazy; 01-07-2016 at 11:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ACRucrazy:
Dominic Toretto (01-08-2016), ETM (01-10-2016), Rodbuster56 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:37 AM
ACRucrazy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Wow 3 seconds.

That is a incredible difference. I give it to team viper they win this one.

Something doesn't sound quite right with the Zo7 over steering. I have never had mine over steer at all. Maybe GM needs to use my Zo6 for their testing.
If you use this lap time by Randy its about 4.5 seconds

Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
It's so terrible on the street I have driven my Hardcore ACR 11,000 miles over the past 3 summers. All the absurd aero stuff must be why everyone is always posing with the car, taking pictures, waving and giving thumbs up every time I fill up the tank or roll down the highway.
Just about ANY car can be driven on the street...that doesn't necessarily make it a great 'street' car. There is no question the ACR is 99% track focused, hence by the fact that it has a front (removable) splitter for track use only. This isn't knocking the Viper ACR, as I think it looks mean...however, there are serious 'street' compromises to make that 'trackable.' Heck the difference in track vs. touring mode in the Z06 is huge...and the Viper is way harsher than that. ACR = great car...but just because it 'can' be driven on the street, doesn't make it 'good' on the street. Especially on less than ideal pavement...
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Maybe a horrible question, but does anyone feel like selling their Z06 after this review?
Why? I love mine. If you watch the video, it was not that bad. They complemented it just as much as they put it down. The better comparison would be the TA vs the Z06. The ACR is in a different class all together; the track only class. Looks: the Z06 wins hands down in my opinion. Unless you are at the track, then the ACR looks like a bully; very cool.

Don't get me wrong, the Viper ACR is great, but I would never drive it on the street; you will look like a DBag with all of that aero. It just looks weird. For a track only, the Viper is the way to go. The best of both worlds, to me, is the Z06.

Like someone else stated: The Z06 is a Street Car that you can drive on the Track and the ACR is a Track car that you can barley drive on the street.

Both awesome cars in my book.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:43 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Do you have any more pics of your car? It looks tight on your avatar.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:54 AM
LT=LegendaryTorque26
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Was this a head to head or a viper AD? Good grief...
Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 PM
LT=LegendaryTorque26
Intermediate

Old 01-07-2016, 12:27 PM
WaFp
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

If anyone, in this thread, at MT or out in the interwebs thought the Z06/Z07 was going to trump the ACR they need to have their head examined. The ACR is a TRACK CAR, the Z06 is a street car for the track.

Highlights...

1. Both American cars beat the GT3RS, which is amazing! Not like "OMG I can't believe it", but more like "America has done it right" kind of amazing.

2. The Z06 beat the ZR1 time and the GT3RS time

3. If what the critics say is true, the Z06 did all this with a M7 when the A8 is "supposed" to be faster. Re test?

4. The ACR is a beast...that's it.

I do have a couple questions though. I read previously that this sounded like the out-of-whack aligned car that was used for a Figure 8 test. Way too much oversteer and the complaint of "too much power". I wonder if the Z06 was given the Track alignment before the test? And if not, how much time, realistically, could that save the car around MRLS?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:28 PM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LT=LegendaryTorque26
Was this a head to head or a viper AD? Good grief...
Definitely not a Viper ad. They tore the car apart on the road test. At one point saying it is the worst sounding car.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:57 PM
Newton06
Drifting

You must be a glutton for punishment then, because there is no way in hell The ACR is in the same comfort level as the Z06. Just look at what MT said about the car on the street; other than the performance aspect, they absolutely hated it.

Obviously a better performing/sorted track car than the Z06, but with that come the requisite compromises.
BOBSZ06 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Originally Posted by blipit_
Definitely not a Viper ad. They tore the car apart on the road test. At one point saying it is the worst sounding car.
I love Randy's comment, "...somewhere between an exotic car and a dump truck."

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head

Old 01-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Originally Posted by WaFp
I do have a couple questions though. I read previously that this sounded like the out-of-whack aligned car that was used for a Figure 8 test. Way too much oversteer and the complaint of "too much power". I wonder if the Z06 was given the Track alignment before the test? And if not, how much time, realistically, could that save the car around MRLS?

Very good question/observation.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:14 PM
JLZ06TR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853
Both are nice cars.

I would love to see an old ZR1 with equal tires to the C7Z07 and what it would run. Just for fun.

How is the Viper ACR selling? I guess that will determine the end success between the two cars... Not the lap times.
Mustangs outsell corvettes hand over fist, Does that make the mustang better then? I hate when sales are brought up. Means nothing in terms of if a car is good or not.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 PM
LT=LegendaryTorque26
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blipit_
Lol I wasn't serious with that comment but a few seconds doesn't change the way I feel about these two cars. If the acr beat the Z06 by 10 seconds it doesn't matter because they're two types of car's IMO.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head