C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:18 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Nope. One and only car. Drive it to work everyday. It's far more street friendly than the Honda S2000.

You have to ask the right question. Why don't some of the Corvette owners drive their car more? I think it's mostly because it is more expensive than their other cars, not because it's not practical or luxurious enough. You have to basically live in the snow to not find the 'Vette a good daily driver.
I have an 'everyday' 4 door sedan...but my Vette gets driven 75% of the time...even today it was literally down pouring in Phoenix this morning, and I took the Vette to my appointment. Not bad in the rain at all. Had it up to Sedona a couple weeks back...beautiful highway cruiser, especially in touring mode. I would never have done that in some of my previous sports cars. I personally think there is nothing wrong with this car as a daily driver...plenty of trunk space, comfortable, relatively quiet, fun to drive and so far reliable. My only gripe is the throttle response should be better and as a DD, it's a little low...but I'm still young, lol...so no biggie.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Awesome video! Both cars are terrific and a lot of fun. Its all a matter of opinion! Never was a Dodge man and never will be. I respect the Viper all day but loyalty to team Vette!

Lets see how ZORA fights the ACR when she arrives! Now you have an even match with the edge going to ZORA for horsepower. I would like to see this same test against a TA & Z06.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Seems like a replaced-engine Viper would be a good way to pick one up to hammer on the track.
I think the one Carl found a couple of weeks ago was $59k and it was a low mileage car.
At that price you could put the VE BBK on it and even the adjustable suspension with some other goodies and probably have a pretty solid track car. And it's doubtful you'd lose your butt if you sold it in a couple of years.
S.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:24 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
You are mistaking the use of "facts" with opinion.

Faster lap time = Fact. Legitimate, measurable data.
Price Difference = Fact. Legitimate, measurable data.
Ride quality = Opinion. Subjective.
Civilized = Opinion. Subjective.

Opinions don't really matter, since everyone has their own preference. Some people prefer stiffer ride quality, some do not. Neither is fact. I understand that people are typically not going to change their opinion either way. I prefer to stick with the facts, personally.
I agree on your opinion vs fact statement. i have a 14 GTS and my opinion is the ride quality is as good or better than my prior c6 ZR1 and I thought the Viper was too civilized when it was stock. i've owned it 1 year and 1 week and have over 15k miles on the clock (recently did the Houston to San Diego road trip after heads and cam install) and it's my 3rd car, so i have 2 other Choices, a 2015 blown silverado and 67 pro touring lsx 454 camaro but i'm always picking the Viper. its a special ride
Old 01-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by WaFp
If anyone, in this thread, at MT or out in the interwebs thought the Z06/Z07 was going to trump the ACR they need to have their head examined. The ACR is a TRACK CAR, the Z06 is a street car for the track.

Highlights...

1. Both American cars beat the GT3RS, which is amazing! Not like "OMG I can't believe it", but more like "America has done it right" kind of amazing.

2. The Z06 beat the ZR1 time and the GT3RS time

3. If what the critics say is true, the Z06 did all this with a M7 when the A8 is "supposed" to be faster. Re test?

4. The ACR is a beast...that's it.

I do have a couple questions though. I read previously that this sounded like the out-of-whack aligned car that was used for a Figure 8 test. Way too much oversteer and the complaint of "too much power". I wonder if the Z06 was given the Track alignment before the test? And if not, how much time, realistically, could that save the car around MRLS?

Not making excuses but if the temp was " near 50 " I would think in the high 40s, maybe middle. From my experience with the Z06 the tires are hard and have less grip starting at that temp. If it warmed up latter to 55 that could make a huge difference. I love my Z06 and was blessed with 75 degree weather over xmass which reminded me how much more stable the car is at that temp.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:29 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I agree, it'll be a great track car as far as performance goes. But right now, I'm watching consumables. I haven't seen anybody go through a set of pads/rotors on one yet but those Kumhos seem to be taking a beating with very low tire wear and I don't think anybody has a tire out there in the ACR sizes yet. But those issues will probably sort out in the next year or so and surely many low mileage creampuffs will be available for somebody who isn't color-picky and just wants to track the living sh*t out of one.
S.
Someone already had front tire blowing up at Laguna on a new ACR. Are the Kumhos on the ACR considered qualifier tires (Great grip for few laps)?

Old 01-07-2016, 04:31 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I think the right/relevant question about the new ACR is the following:

If one's ACR is going to be a car that's going to be spending most if not all of its time at the track, for $130ish, is one better off buying an ACR-X, a track only built C5/C6/Viper, used GT3 cup car, etc?

At least that's the question I'm asking myself. I almost wish Dodge had gone all the way and made the current ACR an X version (or offered an X version) with all the safety equipment and without the extra weight of conveniences ... if this ACR is a monster on a road course imagine how good that would have been. But since they didn't I can't decide if buying/building a track car from the ground up will offer both better performance and be more cost effective to buy and to run than the ACR. Trying to figure all of this out.

Last edited by soulsea; 01-07-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:32 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My new ACR Extreme is more comfortable compared to the 2013 I had and it's more comfortable to my 2010 ACR. I couldn't believe when I picked it up from the dealer and drove it home, and also took a long cruise down the coast with it..

Last edited by LEE427; 01-07-2016 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
furiousox (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Someone already had front tire blowing up at Laguna on a new ACR. Are the Kumhos on the ACR considered qualifier tires (Great grip for few laps)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvvCGnGDa_I
I tend to think issues like that are related to tire pressure. I can't imagine a properly beaded tire at the right inflation pressure would roll off the wheel that easily, so not sure.
They're a very soft tire, and maybe with the huge downforce the car makes they just aren't going to last long. Also the car might need a very track specific alignment to preserve tires.
S.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:48 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Wow 3 seconds.

That is a incredible difference. I give it to team viper they win this one.

Something doesn't sound quite right with the Zo7 over steering. I have never had mine over steer at all. Maybe GM needs to use my Zo6 for their testing.
You need to be as fast as Randy to encounter the oversteer. He did 1:30 at Road Atlanta. Wait... I forget that you had a 1:29 lap there

Last edited by 5thGear; 01-07-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Hit Apex
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not at all surprised by the results and I'm very pleased with my Z06. The ACR is awesome! The Z06 is awesome! I don't know why people are so worried about lap times. I would guess there are only a handful of people on this board that could come close to Randy's times. The rest of us minority that even attend open lapping events could have equal fun in either car and probably would post similar times in both cars.

I crossed shopped the ACR, but in the end spending $40k less and having the Z06 to drive to work several times a week appealed to me more. I just couldn't imagine much street driving of the ACR, it's just more at home on the track. As another poster said, for most of us the personal choice between the 2 cars is about compromises.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hit Apex:
3 Z06ZR1 (01-07-2016), Dominic Toretto (01-08-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Hit Apex
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LEE427
My new ACR Extreme is more comfortable compared to the 2013 I had and it's more comfortable to my 2010 ACR. I couldn't believe when I picked it up from the dealer and drove it home, and also took a long cruise down the coast with it..

Love that Competition Blue! Came so close to pulling the trigger on a beauty like that.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Results were as expected. Excuses to follow, as expected.

Agreed that the Z06 is a better potential daily driver. But, I don't know anyone personally that buys a $100K sports car to daily drive. Realistically, each of us that owns a car like this, also owns multiple cars. I wouldn't daily drive either car, except maybe on sunny days and when traffic was lighter than normal. You can do that in either car.
How do you feel now that Z06 is quicker around Laguna than your TA?
Old 01-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Ivan Viera
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't wait to read what Tadge has to said about the Z oversteer in this test. Pretty sure that there was some GM engineer or representative in this comparison.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:10 PM
MEJ
Racer

Originally Posted by SBKfan
Did the results of this test shock anyone? It's pretty much what I and most of the forum were expecting. As said a million times, the ACR is a track toy and specifically built for that purpose. The Z06 is a daily driver built to run fast at track days. Big difference and focus from the two manufacturers. I don't understand why that's so difficult for some people to understand. By the way, if most of my time was on the track, I'd rather have the Bac Mono than either of these two. Pipe dream, I guess.
I think it might be difficult to understand because the Z06 was advertised as the ultimate "Track" car. But I guess calling it a DD against a Track car makes you feel better about the loss, well...
Old 01-07-2016, 06:20 PM
MEJ
Racer

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I have to disagree. I drive it everywhere except Burning Man. 15,000 miles in 12 months. There are many users on this forum that drive it on par with their other cars or full time. About 3 in 4 people I had in the 'Vette I would never give a ride in an ACR. About 2 in 4 miles I drove in the 'Vette I wouldn't have done in an ACR myself.

The aero, the suspension, the drone, and the lack of headroom are a huge deal breaker for the street. Half of those are a problem in any Viper.
That's' 3 seconds on ONE lap. In a real race with multiple laps (say, 10) the ACR would be a half minute ahead. Long enough to park, get out, and crack a cold one while you wait for the Z to come along (If it doesn't blow its motor or tranny, or pass out from heat soak).
Old 01-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MEJ
I think it might be difficult to understand because the Z06 was advertised as the ultimate "Track" car. But I guess calling it a DD against a Track car makes you feel better about the loss, well...
Why would he need to feel better? He's not the one driving an old piece of junk.
Some of you clowns who think you'll come into these threads and make C7 Z06 owners feel bad or remorseful are pathetic. Get a life, or just head back to the C5 section.
S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snorman:
3 Z06ZR1 (01-07-2016), Lavender (01-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head

Old 01-07-2016, 06:25 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by LEE427
Sent you a pm. Want a ride around the paddock!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:29 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
Is it also my opinion that the ACR has a removable TRACK ONLY front splitter (per Dodge) to help make it go faster around a track?? To our knowledge those lap records were set WITH the splitter ON...so if you want to be 'like that' and talk FACTS only, then we have to disqualify the Vipers 'record time' because it was using NON-streetable parts, i.e. the front splitter. FACT. I'm not being an a**, I'm just taking your 'hard lined' righteous approach, approach. Which is silly.
Do you realize that the Z07 splitter extension winglets and the rear clear center spoiler piece are also not recommended for street use, by GM? Someone recently posted a dealer make-ready inspection sheet and proved this. Those items are not supposed to be installed for street use. Fact. Silly? Sure, but you brought it up. You might also find it amusing that the ACR big-*** wing isn't visible through the rear hatch, it is actually less obtrusive to visibility than the TA spoiler, and the Z07 spoiler. Also, your use of "streetable" is also a subjective opinion.

Stiffer ride is NOT opinion...it's fact. The opinion portion of that 'might' be that some (likely very few) people prefer a harsh stiff ride, but MOST do not. Hence why many manufacturers are going to mag ride...(can't image why)...LOL. ACR is a nice track car...but sounds like a dump truck...LOL...I couldn't resist. I do like the Viper...but as I previously said, IMHO, the Vette is the better ALL ROUND car.
Notice I didn't say "stiffer". I said ride quality. I agree that stiffer or softer would be comparable measurements, but the opinion is which is better. You might also read and find that actual owners of the ACR are reporting that they ride better than the base model and the TA, when in street shock settings. I know, shocker! I've been in a new ACR, it isn't as scary or harsh feeling as the media likes to play up. I pass that off as media hype and storytelling, it keeps things interesting.

How do you feel now that Z06 is quicker around Laguna than your TA?
Congrats, I suppose? I wonder what a TA2.0 or base non-extreme ACR would do there. Two cars that haven't been tested. Or, what a stage 1 or stage 2 C7Z06 would do there? Would be cool to see how all the performance trim levels stacked up, for both brands.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM
SBKfan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MEJ
That's' 3 seconds on ONE lap. In a real race with multiple laps (say, 10) the ACR would be a half minute ahead. Long enough to park, get out, and crack a cold one while you wait for the Z to come along (If it doesn't blow its motor or tranny, or pass out from heat soak).
Doubtful. In the real world, the ACR tires would blow and the Z06 would over heat. There you have it.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head