C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Still want to street race? Better think again....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Still want to street race? Better think again....

If something goes wrong and it does....you will be facing jail time.....

http://www.hotrod.com/news/1601-driv...pr=13601527539
The following users liked this post:
patriotpa (01-09-2016)

Popular Reply

01-07-2016, 11:59 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Yup those are people who don't know how to do it.

Where we go there's nobody in front of the start like there was where that guy crashed. Ive been going to this spot since 1995 there has never been anyone killed..... only thing killed are egos.

If you look at the video where the Mustang crashed.... you will see what I'm talking about. It's sad to see what happened

As soon as they saw the people so close in front of the cars they shouldn't have done it....... well to late now and lesson learned for others that street race.

Btw texting and driving killed over 5000 people in the US in 2014 vs 41 deaths of street racing from 2012 to 2014. So we have 14 per year average of street race deaths vs over 5000 of texting and street racing is viewed as worse? I don't understsnd that one?
Old 01-07-2016, 11:59 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Where we go there's nobody in front of the start like there was where that guy crashed. Ive been going to this spot since 1995 there has never been anyone killed..... only thing killed are egos.

If you look at the video where the Mustang crashed.... you will see what I'm talking about. It's sad to see what happened

As soon as they saw the people so close in front of the cars they shouldn't have done it....... well to late now and lesson learned for others that street race.

Btw texting and driving killed over 5000 people in the US in 2014 vs 41 deaths of street racing from 2012 to 2014. So we have 14 per year average of street race deaths vs over 5000 of texting and street racing is viewed as worse? I don't understsnd that one?

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 01-07-2016 at 12:11 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by NORCAL-SS:
BigNastyZO7 (01-07-2016), CliffB-99 (01-08-2016), emericr (01-10-2016), Fastmikefree (01-08-2016), FYREANT (01-10-2016), JHEBERT (01-08-2016), Nitro Vette (01-08-2016), NytmereZ (01-07-2016) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:10 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Yep, even if you know how to handle your high horsepower ride carefully, it doesn't matter if the other guy F--- up and crashes injuring and or killing a bunch of people which could include YOU. Many of us oldsters street raced when we were young and got away with it. Some did not however and paid the price. It was major STUPID then and now. Resist that dumb *** urge when some other jackass pulls up along side you and challenges you.

Do the smart thing. Save your racing for the track where it's much safer and legal. Or don't. I'm sure some of those big guys in prison will enjoy a new bunk mate.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS

That's nothing, heart disease causes 40,000 deaths per year and people do that to themselves. So by your logic, I think you should text while racing.

Neither racing nor texting is "worse". Both are wrong, avoidable, and just bad driving.

What you do where it only can possible affect yourself I don't care. There are VERY, very few places in the world where I can see that being true. Look for one.

Last edited by davepl; 01-07-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Crossofiron (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM
jacksnorm
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Very sad situation. I watched a buddy die after crashing a motorcycle in a street race back in the mid 90's.

Sadly the reality is many more will die doing the same thing.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,377 Likes on 831 Posts

There's a reason drag strips have barriers.
Sad.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:19 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Wow. They had really crappy attorneys. I can see the Mustang driver and maybe the GTR driver going to jail, but the starter? Having your car crushed and living with the fact that you caused two deaths is enough. We are all guilty of stupidity at some point in our lives.

Tragedy.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:22 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Having your car crushed and living with the fact that you caused two deaths is enough. We are all guilty of stupidity at some point in our lives.
Ah, but there's the rub. Lots of people have done it and not been caught, but society hates it, so when they do catch someone they extract some serious repercussions.

Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

HotRod and Car Craft and all of Petersen Publishing should hang their heads for the last year of STREET! STREET! EVERYTHING STREET OUTLAW! STREET! coverage, with tiny (street racing bad) disclaimers. They milked that TV show for all it's worth, did all of their photos shoots under lights at the jersey barrier at the end of the track to -look- like the street, everything. Then someone is inevitably killed, as they always are, and then it's back to "Street Racing is Bad".

I actually saved one cover upstairs in the bathroom for that very scenario because it says STREET in 5, count 'em, five different places. So they know what sells, they just have no decency about it.

Last edited by davepl; 01-07-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts

Anybody here ever run at Fountain Ave (Brooklyn) during it's heyday in the 70's and early '80's? It used to look like the prototype for the Fast and the Furious race scenes, but with real cars......

I think that after too many people died at the turn at the end of the straight, the cops finally shut it down.....
Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696
Anybody here ever run at Fountain Ave (Brooklyn) during it's heyday in the 70's and early '80's? It used to look like the prototype for the Fast and the Furious race scenes, but with real cars......

I think that after too many people died at the turn at the end of the straight, the cops finally shut it down.....
Oh yeah I remember! Those were fun times but dangerous times. Cars were not as powerful or fast back then as they are now but still can kill. I used to race there a lot and on the Conduit, Wellwood Ave and Deer Park ect...Won a lot of cash too! Young and dumb...And extremely LUCKY!
Sad story...Glad I finally grew up and take it to the track now!
patriotpa (01-09-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Problem is there aren't enough tracks around anymore. Luckily I'm not too far from Orlando Speedworld and they have the track open on most Wednesday and Friday nights for test & tune/run what you brung. There are lot of areas there is nothing. What's a "kid" to do?
Old 01-07-2016, 05:23 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Really, you're in San Francisco, 40 minutes from Sonoma Raceway and you need to street race?
Old 01-07-2016, 05:32 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 383vett
Really, you're in San Francisco, 40 minutes from Sonoma Raceway and you need to street race?
My ctsv is to fast for the track need to cage it so I bring it out from time to time also most of my custoners here locally do street race so I go out to dial in their car to hook. I like getting feedback from track and street guys.

I work till 330 pm so it's hard to get to Wednesday night drags plus my z06 won't pass tech anymore because of nitrous kit going on it so once again to race at drag strip my z06 will need to get caged and Sac is 210 miles round trip for me and once again will need to cage both cars. I'll prob cage em sooner or later just to busy with work and side projects.

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 01-07-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:39 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Wow, a CF vendor who advocates street racing - mark this one down in the history books guys!

People who street race are dangerous, reckless and downright idiotic. It simply can't be put into any simpler terms than that.
The following 2 users liked this post by subfloor@centurytrans:
patriotpa (01-09-2016), redtopz (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Dean01
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My ctsv is to fast for the track need to cage it so I bring it out from time to time also most of my custoners here locally do street race so I go out to dial in their car to hook. I like getting feedback from track and street guys.

I work till 330 pm so it's hard to get to Wednesday night drags plus my z06 won't pass tech anymore because of nitrous kit going on it so once again to race at drag strip my z06 will need to get caged and Sac is 210 miles round trip for me and once again will need to cage both cars. I'll prob cage em sooner or later just to busy with work and side projects.
NorCal I appreciate your honesty! Many are afraid to admit they street race it's a recipe for criticism. Due to increase pop./ traffic avail. Safe locations for street racing are disappearing. The op's race was extremely high risk. Huge crowd and city street wtf. We have a secluded highway that dead ends. On certain sat. Nights for over 20 years it has been the go to location for tri-state showdowns. Some flying in with there cars shipped. Lots money down very secluded not advocating street racing but it happens.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

I just want to be truthful. I'm sorry I didn't want to cause problems and won't bring it up anymore

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 01-07-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:41 PM
rrm
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Wow, a CF vendor who advocates street racing - mark this one down in the history books guys!

People who street race are dangerous, reckless and downright idiotic. It simply can't be put into any simpler terms than that.
Well,
Being a reckless, dangerous idiot I love street racing. I could add all the caveat's about being safe but that would change no one's mind.
As a young person and one among many, the place to race was on Westheimer past Voss road in Houston. No way today. The streets are way broken up to be of any use.
Now if you want a real challenging road race with hair pin turns and right angles and short straight away there is a road, Bee Creek onto Thurman Bend outside of Austin that will test your skill and brakes. Really a car guy's drive. However become too spirited and into the brush you will go as there no gutters...rrm

Get notified of new replies

To Still want to street race? Better think again....

Old 01-07-2016, 06:50 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Yep, even if you know how to handle your high horsepower ride carefully, it doesn't matter if the other guy F--- up and crashes injuring and or killing a bunch of people which could include YOU. Many of us oldsters street raced when we were young and got away with it. Some did not however and paid the price. It was major STUPID then and now. Resist that dumb *** urge when some other jackass pulls up along side you and challenges you.

Do the smart thing. Save your racing for the track where it's much safer and legal. Or don't. I'm sure some of those big guys in prison will enjoy a new bunk mate.
Never thought I would agree with your statements.
2016!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:52 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Yup!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:52 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think he means a real race track, not a strip.

Quick Reply: Still want to street race? Better think again....