C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best tire for Z06? Who knows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:06 PM
centennialGS
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I agree with everyone suggesting continental.

For the STREET, it's a better tire. Quieter, rides softer, won't bend or crack your wheels from the stiff sidewalls, longevity and same performance (FOR THE STREET). And they're cheaper.

It's a win all around. The only thing people like to bring up, track performance aside, is that the PSS's have a blocky shoulder, giving the tire a more aggressive look. I honestly noticed it after i switched to conti. But after a couple of days/drives, i got used to it and don't notice it anymore. I have aftermarket wheels now with more aggressive offsets so that negated that "rounded" shoulder very well. Car looks amazing now. Although i wanna drop the car at least 1/2" on the stock bolts for the perfect look.

The PSS's when i had it, in 2 corvettes, rode hard, front tires skipped at full lock at slow speeds, was SUPER noisy (maybe that's why they're called super sports? LOL) and they're expensive and they don't last as long.

You make the choice. If you're going to do more track than street, PSS. If you do more street than track, conti.

If you do basically just street, like myself, CONTI ALL THE WAY.
The Conti ECS I have on my car now are from 2015, so idk if they updated the tires at all but as you can see in the pic, its the rounded (stretched) look I'm trying to avoid.

However, doing research on the Tire Rack website, I'm leaning more towards running the 285/30/19 Conti's in front and 325/25/20 PS 4s in rear.
Here is why... 275/30/19 PS4S have a 9.7" tread width compared to a 10.2" tread width in the Conti ECS 285/30/19
Here is the interesting part though.... the 275/25/20 PS4s have a 12.2" tread width compared to a 12" tread width on the 335/25/20 Conti ECS.

I just don't know if its a good idea to run two different brands on the car. I don't track the car, except for the occasional drag strip days 2-3 times a year.

I wish they made the Michelin PS4s's in the stock Z06 sizes. I don't want run flats because they're heavy and ride like crap

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
After talking with LUKE at TIRERACK.com Ive made the decision to use the below Tire Sizes on my 2012 Grand Sport......
NOBODY else suggested these tire sizing alternatives

Front 295/30-19 (26" Dia/11.6" Wide) Michelin Super Sport on Front 19x10.5 Wheels (possibly off set of 42???)
Rear 345/30-19 (27.1" Dia/13.6" Wide) Michelin Super Sport on Rear 19x12 Wheels Offset/ET 50

This above combo has the same Difference in Dia (1.1") as the OE 275/35-18 & 325/30-19 has (25.6" Dia / 26.7" = 1.1 Difference)
This above combo has +33 more Revs/Mile for Front Tire vs the rear & the OE set up was +34 more Revs/Mile on Front Tire.
Same dia diff 1.1"/-4.1% should play nice with sensors, Active Handling, Traction Control yada yada

From misc threads/posts/Vendor Emails the 295/30-19 Will fit "OK" but I expect to have to RAISE my 2012 Grand Sport from its
lowered on Stock Bolts position!!!!!
The sizes and sidewall height you're running will make the car look silly IMO. Its too much tire hight IMO. But, i'm curious to see a pic of it. Maybe i'm wrong and I'll end up going with the sizes you have.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:21 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Handiest tool I've ever found online for tires:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

Enter the existing and new tire sizes, and click "Calculate". It will graphically show the tires side by side as well as in an overlay view. Will also give you sizes for each tire, as well as the percentage of difference, will also give you speedo difference too.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 12-21-2018 at 02:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MacRoadie:
centennialGS (12-21-2018), Emmdmd (12-23-2018), Kevin Marshall (05-16-2019)
Old 12-23-2018, 02:23 PM
Emmdmd
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I agree with everyone suggesting continental.

For the STREET, it's a better tire. Quieter, rides softer, won't bend or crack your wheels from the stiff sidewalls, longevity and same performance (FOR THE STREET). And they're cheaper.

It's a win all around. The only thing people like to bring up, track performance aside, is that the PSS's have a blocky shoulder, giving the tire a more aggressive look. I honestly noticed it after i switched to conti. But after a couple of days/drives, i got used to it and don't notice it anymore. I have aftermarket wheels now with more aggressive offsets so that negated that "rounded" shoulder very well. Car looks amazing now. Although i wanna drop the car at least 1/2" on the stock bolts for the perfect look.

The PSS's when i had it, in 2 corvettes, rode hard, front tires skipped at full lock at slow speeds, was SUPER noisy (maybe that's why they're called super sports? LOL) and they're expensive and they don't last as long.

You make the choice. If you're going to do more track than street, PSS. If you do more street than track, conti.

If you do basically just street, like myself, CONTI ALL THE WAY.
what aftermarket wheels did you go with? Any pics??
Old 12-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmdmd

what aftermarket wheels did you go with? Any pics??
I didn't take pics because of the wheel gap lol. I wanted to lower the car first but i know an alignment is necessary after the drop. So i'm just going to do that in spring.

I'm from northern jersey if you wanna meet up? I'm off from work tomorrow so i can meet up if you like and you can check them out in person.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

You generally won't need an alignment if you're just lowering on the stock bolts. Hell, I didn't need an alignment (took it in for one and it was good) after putting on after market lowering bolts.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
You generally won't need an alignment if you're just lowering on the stock bolts. Hell, I didn't need an alignment (took it in for one and it was good) after putting on after market lowering bolts.

Almost every thread regarding this question, i'd say 95% of the replies are saying get an alignment. A 150 dollar alignment or new tires.

I know my tires won't eat itself right away but if i do the drop now, i would probably get an alignment sometime in april next year. And i don't store my car in the winter i take it out as long as the roads are dry, regardless if there's salt or not so i would probably put 1000 miles from now until april.

I rather be safe than sorry and get an alignment right after i drop it.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:05 PM
Emmdmd
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I didn't take pics because of the wheel gap lol. I wanted to lower the car first but i know an alignment is necessary after the drop. So i'm just going to do that in spring.

I'm from northern jersey if you wanna meet up? I'm off from work tomorrow so i can meet up if you like and you can check them out in person.

Thanks for for the offer but unfortunately I’m in the office tomorrow. Maybe some other time? What part of N. Jersey?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:06 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Emmdmd

Thanks for for the offer but unfortunately I’m in the office tomorrow. Maybe some other time? What part of N. Jersey?
I'm in secaucus.

Yeah let me know if you wanna meet up some time. I don't store my car in winter. But it's not a daily driver. So if the roads are dry, even if there's residual salt, i'm still taking the car out lol.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Clspht
I'm real happy with AS3+... Stock sizes and no issues in the wet and or cold... So much better cold weather grip than the original MPSS's....
Originally Posted by thebishman
Michelin A/S 3 for (almost) all year driving.
Originally Posted by 5150 BRD
I was at the Spring Mountain Corvette Owners school last week and they suggested this tire as a replacement for the stock tires.
I have been away from tirerack.com for a while; as of a few months ago, the only available stock sizes were the OEM Michelins or the Conti's. Now I see that they offer tha AS3's and some others. Any idea when the additional styles became available?

Do the AS3's still have the boxed look of the OEM tires, or are they more rounded like the Conti's? Cold weather and rain performance? I am tired of "ice skating" below 50 degrees, so am strongly considering the AS3's or Conti's; I know I'll be giving up track performance, but I don;t mind that if I get better street use.....
Old 01-03-2019, 02:30 PM
quicksupra
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Continentals fronts in stock size are not available as of right now.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696
I have been away from tirerack.com for a while; as of a few months ago, the only available stock sizes were the OEM Michelins or the Conti's. Now I see that they offer tha AS3's and some others. Any idea when the additional styles became available?

Do the AS3's still have the boxed look of the OEM tires, or are they more rounded like the Conti's? Cold weather and rain performance? I am tired of "ice skating" below 50 degrees, so am strongly considering the AS3's or Conti's; I know I'll be giving up track performance, but I don;t mind that if I get better street use.....
Z06 sizes came out a couple of months ago.. They have the exact same profile as the MPSS.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

as others said, Toyo R888R's, are very good. hook up better than MPSS and cup2, especially on the street. on the track, seem between MPSS and cups. they actually hook better than MTDR's on the street. can finally use the low end torque of the LT4, at least with an A8
Old 01-04-2019, 10:32 AM
centennialGS
Racer

Originally Posted by CONMAX
as others said, Toyo R888R's, are very good. hook up better than MPSS and cup2, especially on the street. on the track, seem between MPSS and cups. they actually hook better than MTDR's on the street. can finally use the low end torque of the LT4, at least with an A8
WHAT SIZES ARE YOU RUNNING WITH THE r888'S? I didn't see them available on tire rack in 285/30 and 335/25
Old 01-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by centennialGS
WHAT SIZES ARE YOU RUNNING WITH THE r888'S? I didn't see them available on tire rack in 285/30 and 335/25
They aren't available in those sizes. If you want to keep the stock wheels you have to go 325/30R and 295/30F
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM
john_g_46
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
Given that many here have had a Z06 for a year or more, and nobody has any expereience with a replacement tire?

As this is written, I appreciate the report regards Continental.

I have "gleened" from different readings the following;

Toyo T-1 Sports but in downsized form - one user likes them.
Michelin Super Sport - sounds good on paper
Pirelli P Zero's, reportedly compromised grip and a bit more road noise

I would like any reports of "experience" - Best
I have had the same experience as Mad_Dog ... Conties are good on street, no grip on track.
John
Old 01-04-2019, 04:00 PM
centennialGS
Racer

They aren't available in those sizes. If you want to keep the stock wheels you have to go 325/30R and 295/30F
Is that what you're running? Got pics? Wondering how the rear will look with the 30 profile sidewall
Old 01-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by centennialGS
Is that what you're running? Got pics? Wondering how the rear will look with the 30 profile sidewall
Yes, that is what I purchased. I will take pics when it gets out of the shop. Will be a couple more weeks though. I know some other people are running that tire in that size though, which is how I knew it was ok. Maybe someone else will chime in with some pics before then

Get notified of new replies

To Best tire for Z06? Who knows?

Old 01-04-2019, 05:36 PM
centennialGS
Racer

Yes, that is what I purchased. I will take pics when it gets out of the shop. Will be a couple more weeks though. I know some other people are running that tire in that size though, which is how I knew it was ok. Maybe someone else will chime in with some pics before then
Sounds good, looking forward to seeing this. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

@centennialGS Been a long time coming, but finally got the Z out of the shop. Here are the pics of the R88R in 325/30/20R and 295/30/19F on the car. Car is lowered all the way on stock bolts. No scraping with aggressive driving, but a couple of times I've hit a decent sized dip and hear a scrape. not sure if it's the scrape armor on my front splitter or the front tires. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DKy5JEsoSShCWsz5A

Last edited by Toddiesel; 02-17-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: adding photos as link might not work
The following users liked this post:
centennialGS (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:47 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The change from 325/25/20 to 325/30/20 is 4.8% in revs/mile. The change from 285/30/19 to 295/30/19 is only 0.9% in revs/mile so you should be good. Do note that GM considers a change of 5.0% or more in size a warranty block item. Now that is the statement I was told by a long time Chevrolet Service Manager at a major Corvette dealership. As my wheels are using stock size tires I didn't follow up, so am not certain whether the 5.0% is measured in revs/mile, overall diameter or what, but it is something to consider.

Quick Reply: Best tire for Z06? Who knows?