C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

First Impressions: DSC Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:52 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by jvp
Maybe not, but you'd also have to be aware that you'll change how quickly ABS kicks in (or interference from the Stabilitrak if enabled) due to increased load on the front tires. That weight transfer has to go somewhere, and if not the shocks, it's the tires.
The beauty of this controller is you can use vehicle speed and g-force to soften that blow to the tires. Max mA shock setting does not mean a solid shock.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-04-2016, 01:59 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
The beauty of this controller is you can use vehicle speed and g-force to soften that blow to the tires. Max mA shock setting does not mean a solid shock.
I understand that. The concern is the speed of weight transfer of the vehicle under braking and what the suspension does in response to it. If the suspension is less apt to compress, the force of the weight transfer will put load on something else. In this case: the tires, because they're always the weak link in the equation.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by jvp
I understand that. The concern is the speed of weight transfer of the vehicle under braking and what the suspension does in response to it. If the suspension is less apt to compress, the force of the weight transfer will put load on something else. In this case: the tires, because they're always the weak link in the equation.
I understand that. As with everything, it's a balance between dampening and grip.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:02 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Brake rate of change table

Originally Posted by jvp
Maybe not, but you'd also have to be aware that you'll change how quickly ABS kicks in (or interference from the Stabilitrak if enabled) due to increased load on the front tires. That weight transfer has to go somewhere, and if not the shocks, it's the tires.

Im sorry I have not chimed in earlier first let me introduce myself. This is Michael Levitas of DSCsport also TPCRacing. Many in the corvette GM world know me for my Porsche Racing in Grand Am IMSA and other series. I would like to clarify a few small points after briefing over this thread. Every ones input is spot on. The main table is shock calibration table all other tables are a percentage of the cal table. the Gtable is the base table or overview unless the conditions of the Gpatch are applicable see lower line below Gcircle
all tables have priority based on how their conditions are met.
the Brake table is a rate of change and is a condition applied to the cal table. There for in most cars you will see that I pull Ma when the brake pressure is over 50bar but its more than that its the rate of change so there may be no change to the cal table if you push the brake pressure slowly but if you go from 0-50bar in a short burst there will be a rapid offset and rapid decay this is to respond to the frequency of the tire so the tire does not trip up or set the ABS when you enter the brake zone (the car may seem to stay flat or have little pitch but the frequency is altered for the decay time)
also note: there are many other tables like the accel table that I apply the same strategy (ie the blower under rapid throttle is way different than under slow TPS movement). In the end you will find the Z06 incredibly tuneable actually way unbelievable. I have a Z06 myself and all the basemaps are based off me in the rain and dry the increased grip is scary good and the cool part is with our Gpatch strategy the ride is crazy nice . I have been driving my car to work almost every day its so good.
I actually love the magnetic shocks the down side is their lack of being able to stay consistent under temp change they hate getting hot. I love what can be done but we can do so much more with a typical shim stack and a proper piston and TracTive patented DDA valve. the quality is unmatched and performance is brilliant . I have been running the DSC / Tractive technology in my IMSA race car now for two years . I have been winning many or most races and I slay them in the rain.
I hope im of help please bare with me Im slow to get to the forums but really enjoy spreading the word on what we do here at DSCsport. Thanks you Katech for starting this thread and offering DSCsport
Please Id really like to share my chassis setup we have been plotting the toe and camber curve in the back of the car and man do I have this car working most of our customers are finding as much as 2 sec at VIR and i can tell you even on the street its wild the performance gain you have so much confidence never worrying how the back will come out under a full power burst.
The following 10 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
4GS7 (04-06-2016), AaronZ51 (01-04-2017), Ali_Z06 (04-04-2016), Mad Dog 24 (04-04-2016), Poor-sha (04-05-2016), rikhek (07-25-2016), RS4EVA (04-04-2016), schaibaa (04-06-2016), thebishman (04-04-2016), X25 (05-15-2016) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I realize there are some folks that don't believe a shock and controller change can make a huge difference but let me add another data point. My previous best in this car with stock suspension on Hoosier A7s was a 2:01.3. That was last November with temps in the 50's and on brand new A7s.

I just went out on the exact same tires. The same A7s I ran for two sessions in November then laid up for the Winter. The same A7 tires I did open lapping all day yesterday with. Conditions this morning are also far from ideal with the ambient at 33F.

I turned a Aim Solo recorded lap time of 1:59.229. That's 2 seconds off my previous best in less ideal conditions and I'm confident this car will get in to the 1:58s now. Huge thanks to Mike Levitas and DSC Sport, AP Racing for the brakes, and LG for the brake cooling ducts.

Video and some screen shots from RS2.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 04-06-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Removed comment and PDR not matching Aim
The following 4 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
4GS7 (04-23-2016), badhabit_wb (04-08-2016), Mad Dog 24 (04-06-2016), Painrace (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 04:59 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I realize there are some folks that don't believe a shock and controller change can make a huge difference but let me add another data point. My previous best in this car with stock suspension on Hoosier A7s was a 2:01.3. That was last November with temps in the 50's and on brand new A7s.

I just went out on the exact same tires. The same A7s I ran for two sessions in November then laid up for the Winter. The same A7 tires I did open lapping all day yesterday with. Conditions this morning are also far from ideal with the ambient at 33F.

I turned a Aim Solo recorded lap time of 1:59.229. That's 2 seconds off my previous best in less ideal conditions and I'm confident this car will get in to the 1:58s now. Huge thanks to Mike Levitas and DSC Sport, AP Racing for the brakes, and LG for the brake cooling ducts.

I had no doubt that this will be the case. I know first hand that good suspension will result in better lap times. Same feedback I received form Excelsior motorsports who went almost 3 sec faster with DSC controller and shocks. In summery, you have eliminated tire rubbing on fenders /liners, front end kissing the ground when braking hard, eliminated body roll, and went faster. This is an outstanding upgrade!

By the way, there are some rumors that your Z06 is equipped with a secret Carbon Fiber under body braces which gives it an unfair performance advantage. Any truth to that?

Last edited by 5thGear; 04-06-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:30 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

That's a very impressive improvement, 2 seconds is huge. I would not have thought you could get that much by upgrading from the C7's mag shocks to the DSC controlled ones. Nice for sure.

How are you tuning the controller? Using program from DSC or your own tuning.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:18 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Great news it is working out well!! How did you like the car setup?
Old 04-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice drive, Sean. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Jim
Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by descartesfool
That's a very impressive improvement, 2 seconds is huge. I would not have thought you could get that much by upgrading from the C7's mag shocks to the DSC controlled ones. Nice for sure.

How are you tuning the controller? Using program from DSC or your own tuning.
I'm using the software that DSC has for download on their web site.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ali_Z06
By the way, there are some rumors that your Z06 is equipped with a secret Carbon Fiber under body braces which gives it an unfair performance advantage. Any truth to that?
Hey - don't let all my secrets out! Pretty sure that gained me half a second
Old 04-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Painrace
Nice drive, Sean. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Jim
Same here Jim. What can I say, I've had good instructors!
The following users liked this post:
Painrace (04-07-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey - don't let all my secrets out! Pretty sure that gained me half a second
Let the secrets out.. I might upgrade z06
Right now just want an under 1 minute lap at lime rock stock (non-Z07) while with cup 2 tires. Did 1:01 in 30°

Then i am looking at suspension parts. Getting lil too much body roll..
Old 04-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

That is a very nice lap. You are driving a good line through the Esses and not bouncing your car off the curbs. You are carrying a lot of speed into the Esses and holding well going up. Appear to be lifting through T9 into T10. Your car looks very stable in the video and I'd wager you could carry a bit more throttle to the top and then brake going into T10. The G-meter doesn't really show any braking force at T-10?

Thanks for posting.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:08 PM
-Eric-
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definitely love to see a more in-depth discussion of the theory of operation for the DSC controller. I am leaning towards giving the controller a try on its own first. I have a 2016 Z06 with the FE6 suspension that I want to do some track events in.

I have been in the driver training industry for 10 years and I have also done a fair amount of racing. I tend to push my cars fairly hard on the track. I have been reading this thread trying to glean as much as I can. I certainly don't want my car bottoming out and scraping if I come flying down the hill at SPR into turn 4?!

I would like to understand how the DSC controller differs from the stock controller. Does it use new parameters that are not used by the stock computer? Does it have functions like stiffening the front shocks under braking that the stock computer does not do? Are the maps just different? Does DSC offer preset maps for FE6 cars? How much improvement will I get with just the controller? Is the controller on its own worth it?

All in all, I need an apples to apples comparison to make a more informed decision. Right now I am trying to prioritize what I do with the car. I certainly don't want to take the car very far from stock. My inclination to start with was to only use GM parts like the additional radiatior and the stage 2 aero kit.

Any input is appreciated. Would love to hear from Michael Levitas and Poor-sha.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Eric
Old 04-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by -Eric-
I would definitely love to see a more in-depth discussion of the theory of operation for the DSC controller. I am leaning towards giving the controller a try on its own first. I have a 2016 Z06 with the FE6 suspension that I want to do some track events in.

I have been in the driver training industry for 10 years and I have also done a fair amount of racing. I tend to push my cars fairly hard on the track. I have been reading this thread trying to glean as much as I can. I certainly don't want my car bottoming out and scraping if I come flying down the hill at SPR into turn 4?!

I would like to understand how the DSC controller differs from the stock controller. Does it use new parameters that are not used by the stock computer? Does it have functions like stiffening the front shocks under braking that the stock computer does not do? Are the maps just different? Does DSC offer preset maps for FE6 cars? How much improvement will I get with just the controller? Is the controller on its own worth it?

All in all, I need an apples to apples comparison to make a more informed decision. Right now I am trying to prioritize what I do with the car. I certainly don't want to take the car very far from stock. My inclination to start with was to only use GM parts like the additional radiatior and the stage 2 aero kit.

Any input is appreciated. Would love to hear from Michael Levitas and Poor-sha.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Eric
I'd give Mike a call at the shop. I certainly can't say exactly what the GM controller uses for inputs (see earlier debate) but you can download the DSC software and watch the video to see exactly what it uses. I'm happy to send you the map I'm currently using to load up in the software if that helps.

The FE6 shocks do have a bigger dynamic range than the FE7 shocks so maybe that will work in your favor but I have no idea how stiff they can get. The other issue with the MR shocks is that the fluid gets hot and they get progressively softer. I think that Mike was running his personal car with controller only initially so again he may be able to give you some insight.

As far as dragging the splitter in T4 at SPR, I never had that happen with the stock suspension. However, braking for the karousel after the bridge straight on SC I would grind on the splitter every lap. The more common problems are the car leaning over and grinding through the spats as well as the tires getting up in to the wheel well liners and wearing through them. All of that hasn't been a problem with the DSC Sport shocks and controller.
The following users liked this post:
-Eric- (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 09:56 PM
-Eric-
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd give Mike a call at the shop. I certainly can't say exactly what the GM controller uses for inputs (see earlier debate) but you can download the DSC software and watch the video to see exactly what it uses. I'm happy to send you the map I'm currently using to load up in the software if that helps.

The FE6 shocks do have a bigger dynamic range than the FE7 shocks so maybe that will work in your favor but I have no idea how stiff they can get. The other issue with the MR shocks is that the fluid gets hot and they get progressively softer. I think that Mike was running his personal car with controller only initially so again he may be able to give you some insight.

As far as dragging the splitter in T4 at SPR, I never had that happen with the stock suspension. However, braking for the karousel after the bridge straight on SC I would grind on the splitter every lap. The more common problems are the car leaning over and grinding through the spats as well as the tires getting up in to the wheel well liners and wearing through them. All of that hasn't been a problem with the DSC Sport shocks and controller.
Thanks!!! Lots of good info there! I think I'll give Mike a call. If he was running without the upgraded shocks initially I bet he has a good idea of where I'll be at.

Get notified of new replies

To First Impressions: DSC Sport Suspension

Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Hi Guys,

I got to the track the first time with my DSC setup (box and shocks) this past Friday at Mid-Ohio. It was really wet and rainy, so not the best opportunity but still a good test.

Not exactly sure how to objectively compare so I'll just throw out some observations. I was on rickety old MPSS tires (a year old and 4-5 track days prior to this). I was also having trouble getting the pressures correct. I would start at ~26PSI and as the track got more traction, I would push them up to 40PSI. I would bleed pressure, then the track would go too wet/cold and I would be under.

Anyway, I was able to get a 1:41 on a very wet track while the rain continued to come down. The car was very flat, and didn't dive on the brakes. For reference, SM record is around 1:43.

I had a significant amount of oversteer but I think that's mostly due to old street tires and a wet track. This was oversteer leading into the apex just from turn-in. The car was really impressive putting power down in the rain.

Overall very happy, next track event is 5/13, hoping for better conditions.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:21 AM
LdkE
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LdkE
Hey Poor-sha,

great write up - thank you for that!

Looked up the system at DSCs page but couldn't find neither information about the suspension (there is only a "coming soon" tag) nor the asked price.

So how much are they?

Thanks

Lars
Poor-sha,

have to repeat my question - no information available on the DSC website - how much is the entire system for the Z06?

Thanks

Lars
Old 04-25-2016, 07:06 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LdkE
Poor-sha,

have to repeat my question - no information available on the DSC website - how much is the entire system for the Z06?

Thanks

Lars
http://store.katechengines.com/dsc-s...ller-p520.aspx

http://store.katechengines.com/dsc-s...ocks-p521.aspx

Quick Reply: First Impressions: DSC Sport Suspension