C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Full length stripes and film protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:30 AM
Z06Vert
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Full length stripes and film protection

Question for you clear film guys and those with full length stripes... just ordered my Z07 with full length stripe option. I keep reading about the sticky tires on the Z07 and how they pick up debris and pepper the rear brake ducts with small stones/rocks. I am wanting to protect the front end and sides/brake ducts with either Sun Tek or Expel and am wondering how the film will look where it meets the vinyl stripe edge on the front bumper and hood. I plan on discussing with local installers when the car comes in but until then I thought I would post the question to you forum members... What have you guys done?

Also could the film be trimmed where it meets the edge of the stripe so as to not show any transition (or bubble as the stripe sits higher than the paint) where the stripe ends and the clear film begins or would that be bad as it wouldn't offer any protection to the vinyl stripe from stone chips and damage. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:35 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Z06Vert
Question for you clear film guys and those with full length stripes... just ordered my Z07 with full length stripe option. I keep reading about the sticky tires on the Z07 and how they pick up debris and pepper the rear brake ducts with small stones/rocks. I am wanting to protect the front end and sides/brake ducts with either Sun Tek or Expel and am wondering how the film will look where it meets the vinyl stripe edge on the front bumper and hood. I plan on discussing with local installers when the car comes in but until then I thought I would post the question to you forum members... What have you guys done?

Also could the film be trimmed where it meets the edge of the stripe so as to not show any transition (or bubble as the stripe sits higher than the paint) where the stripe ends and the clear film begins or would that be bad as it wouldn't offer any protection to the vinyl stripe from stone chips and damage. Thanks!

Looks fine on mine, no change in appearance with Expel
Old 01-27-2016, 10:37 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Vert

My installer cut around my stinger stripe for that very reason. He said that if you didn't it would form a bubble and be very noticable. With the film on the car and the stripe it's pretty much invisible. The only thing different is the stripe has more gloss now. Not a bad thing. I detailed the car before taking it to get the wrap because I wanted the paint as close to perfect as it could be before it was covered. My car looks better today than it did when it rolled off the truck.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Z06Vert
Instructor

Thanks! Sets my mind at ease. Dealer is 300 miles away and going to pick up in my enclosed trailer due to this reason. First stop when home is to get film installed. Do you guys find one film is better than another? I understand both Expel and SunTek are both self healing...
Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I'd go with your installers advice. My installer had both suntek and xpel. I told him I would keep the car for at least 10 years and he said to go with the xpel. The suntek is clearer and thinner, I think, and may not last as long. My car is vy and it looks better with the xpel than it did before.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Z06Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I'd go with your installers advice. My installer had both suntek and xpel. I told him I would keep the car for at least 10 years and he said to go with the xpel. The suntek is clearer and thinner, I think, and may not last as long. My car is vy and it looks better with the xpel than it did before.
Thanks. The one installer in the area sells both but pushes SunTek. I will seek his advise when I have the car hopefully in a couple months.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Z06Vert
Instructor

I plan on keeping this car for a long time.... hopefully!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:02 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

My guy sells both but he recommended Suntek. Looks great.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:48 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

I have Suntek on an AW Z06 -- makes the paint look even brighter. Have Xpel on another car (silver) and it's not as bright -- doesn't appear to provide the same clarity. At the same time, Xpel is several years old. Very pleased with Suntek though.

Get notified of new replies

To Full length stripes and film protection

Quick Reply: Full length stripes and film protection