C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'16 Z06 M7 trans and skip shift eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts
Default '16 Z06 M7 trans and skip shift eliminator

Can't seem to find an answer to my question using the "search" feature. Regarding a 2016 Z06 with the M7 transmission, does that transmission still have the 1-4 shift pattern (2 & 3 gear locked out) when rpm's are below a certain level? Based on the readily available "skip shift disabler", I'm guessing it does but then I noticed the suppliers of these gadgets only call out the standard StringRay model and not the Z06. I already ordered one for my new Z06 (won't arrive for 8 weeks...crap!), but I've owned three 6 speed cars in the last 20 years and all of them had this skip shift feature, which I can not tolerate! Please advise...thanks!!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Can't seem to find an answer to my question using the "search" feature. Regarding a 2016 Z06 with the M7 transmission, does that transmission still have the 1-4 shift pattern (2 & 3 gear locked out) when rpm's are below a certain level? Based on the readily available "skip shift disabler", I'm guessing it does but then I noticed the suppliers of these gadgets only call out the standard StringRay model and not the Z06. I already ordered one for my new Z06 (won't arrive for 8 weeks...crap!), but I've owned three 6 speed cars in the last 20 years and all of them had this skip shift feature, which I can not tolerate! Please advise...thanks!!
Yes, it does. It is the same as the previous generations and doesn't work based on rpm. It works based on miles per hour and throttle opening. The skip shift eliminators really aren't needed since a person can easily train themselves to avoid the situation which only occurs in low speed small throttle opening situations such as following a slow car in heavy traffic. If the driver shifts from low to second before 14 mph or after 19 mph when the car is barely accelerating (small throttle opening) the system doesn't activate. If the driver applies more throttle then they can shift from low to second at any speed. Why spend $20 on something that isn't needed? On the C6 you could use fuse with an LED in it. You would blow the fuse and stick it into the CAGS fuse slot and the resistance of the LED (which lit to indicate the fuse was blown) would prevent CAGS from activating. That was a $1.00 solution but even it was a waste of money and time.

If a person talking to a passenger or using the mirror to pick their nose forgets and shifts into 2nd in the forbidden speed zone the system will push the shifter toward 4th and all the driver has to do is push the shifter into third, pull it back out and move it to second which can be done in a second or two. CAGS doesn't interfere when you are running the car hard.

Get a refund on the one you ordered and forget about it.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-29-2016 at 08:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Ahmed_otb (01-31-2016), Team Ruby (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 09:16 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Bill, thanks for the information on the skip shift.... I did not realize it is now based on speed and some other throttle criteria. I had to smile on your comment...."Why spend $20 on something that isn't needed?" I ask my wife that same question multiple times a day (more often than that, it has some zeros added to that number, as well)!
I'm OK with the luxury of buying the skip shift eliminator, besides that I've had some Amazon credit for month and that more than covered it. That's a feature I have zero use for and want to be able to shift to where ever I want to, when I want to, without the car talking back to me! Interestingly enough, it sounds like most of the owners do what you do.....that's OK, I don't mind being the odd ball! Thanks!!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:46 AM
rwillitt
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Just my opinion. I had a C6 and HATED the skip shift, seemed to get in the way more times than not just driving around town. With the Z06, I find that I very seldom have it kick in. Nothing to prove it, but seems they adjusted it to be less intrusive on this car.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:09 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by rwillitt
Just my opinion. I had a C6 and HATED the skip shift, seemed to get in the way more times than not just driving around town. With the Z06, I find that I very seldom have it kick in. Nothing to prove it, but seems they adjusted it to be less intrusive on this car.
I agree. It's not as intrusive as the C6, and the C6 isn't as intrusive as the C5. It has gotten better with each generation.

It's pretty much a non issue on these. I had mine tuned out, but that is only because I was already changing the stock tune, so tossed that out along with it.
The following users liked this post:
ODEN2 (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 02:07 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Who shifts out of first gear below 19 mph? With almost no throttle? In a Z06? Shifting out of first at 40 or 50 is way, way more fun.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 PM
Gomer
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Who shifts out of first gear below 19 mph? With almost no throttle? In a Z06? Shifting out of first at 40 or 50 is way, way more fun.
True on the more fun shifting at 40-50 mph. However, I am glad I did mine when I am in super slow gridlock type traffic or behind a slow moving/accelerating vehicle at a traffic light.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:58 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Just learn to drive it!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:27 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I agree. It's not as intrusive as the C6, and the C6 isn't as intrusive as the C5. It has gotten better with each generation.

It's pretty much a non issue on these. I had mine tuned out, but that is only because I was already changing the stock tune, so tossed that out along with it.
Thanks OnPoint. I've had C5, C6 and C7 Z06, all manuals. I thought I was just becoming more adept/tolerant as I noticed the difference in each gen.

I agree that with the C7 I never seem to encounter the "block". The shift gate, on the other hand seems way too narrow with the extra row for seventh gear; it seems too easy to skip a gear unintentionally on the 2-3 and the 4-5 upshift.

charles
Old 01-30-2016, 07:52 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

First thing I do on an manual (which probably voids my warranty) is to load the calibration into HPTuners, turn off CAGS (the correct name for it) and save it back.

I haven't had skipshift for more than a few hours on any car.

If you're using the little dongle/circuit thing, I can only assume they're identical between the Stingray and Z06. I cannot think of a reason it could/would be any different.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

If you don't drive in heavy traffic there isn't a need for the CAGS Eliminator since it should never activate accelerating at even a moderate rate from a traffic light or stop sign. However, as I said in my earlier post a person who can train themselves can avoid it just as easily. I firmly believe anything done to the car no matter how minor is a complete waste of time and money. On a priority list it falls far below making sure the shoe laces on 10 year old shoes are washed.

Bill
Old 01-30-2016, 10:55 PM
mtb996
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interestingly, after about 2100 miles, I haven't had it activate once. I've seen the note on the display, but it didn't actuate. I guess I'm just too hard on the throttle. It did seem to engage more in my old C6....
Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 PM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

SoCal traffic deems it necessary for me. I do agree, the C7 is much less obtrusive than the C6 was, which was less obtrusive than my 4th gen Camaros.

-Ron
Old 01-30-2016, 11:12 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Bill.....Thanks for your wonderful insight and equally splendid image I now have in my mind. Unfortunately for stupid ole' me, I am still going to have the skip shift eliminator installed just in case I am not quite as coordinated as yourself and I will undoubtedly be stuck in traffic from time to time on those days I have given the chauffeur off.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:53 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I have noticed that some suppliers have a different skip shift eliminator for the C7, and I am wondering if the difference is the connector, OR if the C7 actually requires a different resistor to simulate the solenoid.
Does anyone know?

I have measured the resistance on a couple of the eliminators and one was 12 ohm, the other was 24 ohm. One seller listed the resistor as 22K ohm!

The C7 eliminator says it will not fit the C6 or C5???

http://www.northamericantuning.com/s...tor-cags/4574/

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-31-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:20 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I ALWAYS install one on my cars, they cost practically nothing. It depends on how you drive, for me personally the 1-4 activates often. There is no downside to putting one on.
The following 2 users liked this post by BERETTA:
DSOMonster (02-01-2016), tzoid9 (01-31-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I ALWAYS install one on my cars, they cost practically nothing. It depends on how you drive, for me personally the 1-4 activates often. There is no downside to putting one on.
You aren't driving hard enough.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To '16 Z06 M7 trans and skip shift eliminator

Old 02-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Agree with that!!!! That little gizmo under your right foot takes care of and skip out system.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:47 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Well I am getting older you know.

Seriously, in some traffic conditions, it's just one less thing to have to deal with.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Bill.....Thanks for your wonderful insight and equally splendid image I now have in my mind. Unfortunately for stupid ole' me, I am still going to have the skip shift eliminator installed just in case I am not quite as coordinated as yourself and I will undoubtedly be stuck in traffic from time to time on those days I have given the chauffeur off.
I exactly like you...........then someone of this Forum said try it without the eliminator and see...............lo and behold...........I found I don't need it with the 2015 Z06

Quick Reply: '16 Z06 M7 trans and skip shift eliminator